• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

I just saw something happen I'd never seen before. I think a Yiga dude set a trap for me.

I was riding through a canyon in the desert on my horse just goofing around, collecting mushrooms or whatever. Eventually I turned around to head back to the nearest stable, when I saw a bunch of boulders in my path that definitely weren't there when I came through the first time. Like, a bunch - totally blocking the path so I couldn't get through on my horse, definitely unnatural looking. I rode up close so I could get off and stasis them to whack them away, when bam, arrow to the back of the head.

Over eighty hours in the game and still seeing new stuff.

rrs

beat the 4 divine beasts, but now I'm getting yiga clan assholes spawning in 24/7 while trying to get more shit for taking on ganon. Am I going to have to live with this until new game+?

Majukun

one of the monument in zora's domain talks about how the divine beast was named after princess Ruto because she became a sage and helped protect the world from gannon a long time before even the divine beasts were created.

i believe this game takes place waaay down the line in the WW timeline after the ocean recedes back and people return to the land.

wel,technically he doesn't said who named it,not in the italian version at least...so it can be ither be named by the sheikah millennials before or by the zora after it was rediscovered 100 years prior to the current time.

Excessive overall impressions

Over time i've been feeling that the Zelda series as much as I enjoy it has lost its feeling of grandeur, Ocarina of Time is nearly 20 years old at this point and that's roughly two decades of the series chasing its shadow. This isn't to say the myriad of sequels in this time frame have been bad, far from it, there's little else out there that does what Zelda does leaving it to occupy a pretty uncontested niche among action adventure titles, as such it still feels rather unique when a title comes out complete with a ton of charm and polish as expected from the Zelda team.

Regardless by the time I played Skyward Sword I couldn't shake that simply the way the game felt to play was kind of antiquated, in particular the way Link controlled (minus motion control aspects) stuck out to me as being still locked into that 1998 template and this is without considering the games formula still dating back further to the SNES right down to 3 dungeons, thing happens, more dungeons, endgame. Meanwhile other Nintendo franchises started doing a lot more to either reinvent themselves or simply deliver a top tier slice of their respective genre without the strange flaws bogging down modern Zelda, from the gamecube era's Metroid Prime, the Wii generation's Mario Galaxy duo and heck even the WiiU has examples of series doing what they do best at their peak (DKC Tropical Freeze) or successfully expanding on their formula to great effect (Pikmin 3). And this is without factoring the new series gradually rising up, Xenoblade for instance immediately delivered me the feeling of exploration adventure that Zelda had been struggling with. (and i'm just sticking under the Nintendo umbrella here, it gets ever crazier when the rest of the industry comes into play)

Yet Zelda still gets all the fervour from fans and critics alike and as you may tell I was beginning to think "but has it really done anything recently to warrant it?", from my angle Mario had truly eaten Link's lunch by this point, the mainline 3D platformers after the Sunshine misstep had been a much more solid stream of top quality, both series usually occupy a similar spot running side by side as Nintendo's biggest and most recurring ones, Zelda though had been getting gassed and falling behind.

JspMVcf.jpg

Enter Breath of the Wild, the result of a long development period and a platform switch, so far so Twilight Princess. We all saw the claims from the Anouma to rethink the conventions of zelda, we'd seen the demos, the trailers and now we were seeing the reviews pour in to almost unanimous gushing praise. After just under 80 hours with the game having wrapped up the last shrine I feel fairly comfortable saying that this is the strongest Zelda game since Majora's Mask.
It's worth noting from the start that my own reaction to the switch to open world gameplay was one of both approval and doubt, approval in that the series needed a refresher and this was a logical way of going about it, doubt because I'm one of those people who finds open worlds to more often lead to busywork and a loss of focus. If I were to consider what I thought the most impressive open world games are in the business I'd lean towards GTAV and The Witcher 3, both of which I enjoyed but never fully loved. As a gameplay first kinda guy Rockstar's efforts will always hit me as "jack of all trades, master of none" endeavours in regards to its shooting/driving and so on, Witcher meanwhile was like smashing my head through a wall to gain entry, it took me a long time to click but ultimately as strong as it was it felt too bloated and I had my fill around Skellige. Zelda immediately gets off on the right foot with me in its regards to open world, it's very much mechanics orientated, it doesn't come close to offering the variety of GTA or the story beats of Witcher but for me that's more than fine, this is the spot Zelda finds in a currently oversaturated genre and it was in fact a pretty large gap that had been left unfilled.

Adventure is the name of the game and all that it entails, the freedom to fully explore, the risk of danger and the thrill of discovery. I could probably tackle each one of these points on their own, Freedom is pretty self explanatory, once off the plateau that teaches you the basics of BotW without shattering your hand holding it so hard like some previous Zelda titles you have the entire kingdom to explore if you so want, obviously it's wise to stick with the basic direction you have to start with but the important thing is that the options are there, a game open enough to let you run straight to calamity Ganon and get wrecked (or even wreck him and save Hyrule in about an hour). As for danger part of me feels the need to credit From Software's Souls titles for reintroducing the idea to modern games that it's totally okay to get completely murked when off exploring, having that risk is part of the fun. I think this was one of the main things people were getting at a few years back when Dark Souls first rose to prominence and started giving us the old trope of "Zelda should be like Dark Souls!" (shortly before the days of *insert game* is the Dark Souls of *insert genre*). It was more that DS more channelled the Zelda 1 and 2 philosophy here as opposed to giving us puzzling dungeon action, the whole more like souls angle could've used some narrowing down but I get the idea. Back to challenge, there are Bokoblins on the plateau area that deal more damage than Twilight Princess' Ganondorf, what a pleasant turn around.
Discovery is done so well here that anyone who even so much as suggests that the Shiekah Towers are just like Ubisoft towers should be banned from playing anything but Ubisoft's open world template titles for the next year. I'm not saying anything we don't already know here about how the reveal of the map's topography doesn't burden you with ten trillion icons of collectables and other filler, instead you just get a context for your surrounding environment and a nice vantage point to MANUALLY choose what spots interest you and mark them down. This difference alone is something that takes even BotW's sometimes fetchquest esque sidequests and seemingly excessive 900 Korok Seeds (more on them later) to retain that feeling of discovery and not come across like a a glorified shopping list, it's still up to you, listening to what people say, taking a note of the interesting quirks in the environment and not a glowing line to follow in sight.

As for things relating back more to the core of the Zelda series (that being items and dungeons in particular) BotW mixes things up here as well, not necessarily for the better but in ways that fit the open world formula. The various runes replacing Link's usual array of Hylian gadgets are an almost understated reason to the feeling of freshness in BotW, powers like cryosis, magnesis and stasis offer new types of puzzles, there's no "ah that'll be for my upcoming hookshot" or "time for the obligatory boomerang puzzle", instead all these new skills are given to you in quick succession from near the start and will reside with you for the rest of the game working together to create the most connected set of tools Link has had at his disposal. As such the puzzle design across the entire world can make use of all of these, while frontloading these does remove the thrill of discovering a new item it's much more beneficial for the open nature of the world. It also means that the many shrines dotted around the land are capable of being bite-sized challenges in a vein more similar to Super Mario Galaxy.

For more involving puzzling areas there are the divine beasts, probably the game's most controversial approach outside of weapon breakage (oh and here's my hot take on that, it barely matters, no need getting attached to weapons in a world drowning you with them). Let me get the bad out of the way, Divine Beasts aren't really are substitute for dungeons of old, they give a nice nod to those days but its formulaic terminal hunt doesn't quite scratch the itch a puzzle filled labyrinth does. This doesn't however mean that they are bad, oh far from it. See factoring in the world itself you have these eye catching beasts reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus' colossi, upon first gaining access to one (side note: each pre beast entry segment is a cracking set piece) I expected the game to finally cheat and break its established rules in regards to scale. Which is to say I expected to stroll in and that the game would load up an isolated interior area suspiciously larger than that of the beast itself. Nope, we get these things to scale, while I'm sure there's some shortcuts in play here to help create this illusion it doesn't matter much, it's just damn cool to see the commitment to their place in the environment, to scamper across the interior and exterior of the beasts and the ability to manipulate the beasts with some limited map functions creating more dynamic puzzles. The more freeform puzzling in general is rather fantastic, the series has heavily been "do it this way or not at all"so to have moments where it felt like I was gaming the system to solve puzzles (some shrines in fact revel in offering you this option). With all this in mind I don't really take umbrage with what the beasts offer.

WVW69kLCQzgYae3Gr4

Shit, this is getting a lot longer than I planned, I wasn't gonna go full review here and I haven't even got around to how much I love the climbing system that has shades of Shadow of the Colossus right down to increasing stamina increasing my brazen leaps, or the artistic vision that brings the world to life even on an underpowered WiiU, or the armour sets that let me be rid of that hat, or the gosh darn Lynels.
Okay let me just get in my piece about Korok Seeds because they're some of the most impressed I've been by mere collectables since DKC2. Like many things in the game, their existence is not explicitly taught to the player, the world is full of all sorts of small puzzles that you'll overlook at first until you start noticing the familiar setups recurring, each time you figure out one of these many korok staples you remember just how many similar situations you just walked straight past and then wonder if those other anamolies in the world were also a type of puzzle. Then there's the seeds themselves in which the reward is two fold in that it often ensures that your trip off the beaten track got you something more than say a nice view and that the seeds themselves build towards worthwhile unlocks. It's also a rare case where having a number like 900 doesn't come across like overkill at all when you consider that it's not expected for the player to come close to collecting all of them, heck even half of them! It basically ensures that for the keen eyed players no matter where their detours take them they'll always have the opportunity to find the bits and pieces to expand their inventory. A collectable to fit every type of players adventure (right down to ultra completionists getting the BEST REWARD) with tangible benefits for even just a few.

All sounds pretty gushing right? well obviously there's flaws here, plenty of them, a game this big in scope is bound to hit them. Likewise to my praise I could rattle off stuff like the world being too big (evident in the rather redundant Gerudo highlands in particular), too many repeated combat shrines, too few enemy types, some cookie cutter sidequests with lacklustre rewards, the previously mentioned dungeon stuff, frame rate woes and more.

But it's hard for me to really be that irked by the sticking points here, even if the world's magic loses some sparkle after 40 hours the fact it even made it that far before the gamey elements became more obviously apparent is a win in itself. I'd hold off giving it a perfect score if I were to assign numerical values to this (something I'm increasingly thinking is a blight on game discussion right there but it has its moments) as I can imagine a more refined follow up and it doesn't shake off all my open world woes. When it comes down to it though this is a truly bold game, to finally reinvent the series, to instil so much wonder in so many players, to stick to its guns in the face of making some controversial changes, this here is a game that absolutely deserves its praise even if I reach the end of the year and end up liking other titles more (can Mario eat Link's lunch again?). My time with this game was well spent, fond memories of banana loving assassins, a tragic horse demise complete with revenge story and happy ending (cheers horse God), a totally boss bird with an accordion dropping riddles and much more.

Zelda has reclaimed it's top status, roll on the DLC, if I've learnt anything from Dark Souls and Bloodborne it's that great DLC can be the difference maker that takes a title from nearing the top to the peak itself.

Pyrokai

Guys, I have a strange question:

Do any of the Zelda games address what's outside of Hyrule or why people still live in this land if it's constantly being tormented by Ganon? Just curious. Why doesn't everyone just move away? :p

Ultimadrago

...a tragic horse demise complete with revenge story and happy ending (cheers horse God), a totally boss bird with an accordion dropping riddles and much more.

Can I say what a great addition Horse God is to the game? It's a convenience I'd never expect from a Zelda game and when I eventually rooted it out, I was very pleasantly shocked. They look so creepy too; I almost wish they were a boss in the game!

Do any of the Zelda games address what's outside of Hyrule or why people still live in this land if it's constantly being tormented by Ganon? Just curious. Why doesn't everyone just move away? :p

Hmm, while not Hyrule as known, Majora's Mask has people preparing to abandon (and remain in) Clock Town/Termina over the falling moon. It's a rather hot topic. You don't really get to hear many thoughts of the citizens in Ocarina because post timeskip, everyone is DEAD!!! (Okay, not everyone, but at that point the land has been conquered.) I'd assume that some ran for their lives while others were not so lucky, in that scenario.

If anything, I found Breath of the Wild did a poor job of creating much tension between Ganon's ever looming presence and the settlements around it. Even most of the people mentioning the Divine Beasts at all just seem slightly annoyed. Assuming the Beasts have been around for months, I guess they simply served as cool background shots in Selfies with a few injuries mixed in. :p

Can I say what a great addition Horse God is to the game? It's a convenience I'd never expect from a Zelda game and when I eventually rooted it out, I was very pleasantly shocked. They look so creepy too; I almost wish they were a boss in the game!

The swerve after the hand takes your rupees, I expected another borderline palette swap, I instead got something terrifying!

I'm actually still surprised they let your horses perish.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That shrine puzzle picture you posted is the exact shrine I call to mind when I remember how much I love the "open world shrines" (where getting to the shrine itself is the puzzle). They're all amazing. The unrealistic part of me wants them all to be like that, but I know that designing 120 open world puzzles like that while still keeping the Zelda dungeon feel would be infinitely harder and more complex to design. So I'll be realistic and say that I wish more of them were like that.

Kneefoil

Ganon's torment isn't that constant. He takes breaks that last hundreds, sometimes thousands of years.

There have been several games that take place outside of Hyrule, but all of those locations suffer from issues that are just as bad as Ganon, if not worse.

Ms.Galaxy

There are some nations outside Hyrule like Holodrum and Labrynna. Then there are parallel worlds like Termina and Lorule.

As for why people don't just leave; some do, others don't have the means to. In Ocarina of Time, it's hinted that some people left Hyrule when Ganon took over while some ran to Kakariko Village. In Twilight Princess, the Gerudo were pushed further into the desert. In Spirit Tracks, the people of the Great Sea, formally Hyrule, left and found a new nation in a new land.

In BotW's case, it's interesting. The land outside of Hyrule is inaccessible because the boarders are large, deep canyons near tall mountains. Building a bridge to connect the lands is next to impossible and the mountains at the boarders are dangerous. The only way in and out is through the oceans and the Gerudo Desert. Hyrule doesn't have a port, Akkala might have been that in the past if the ruins are anything to go by, but now there's no port in Hyrule. There's no ships, and most boats aren't sea worthy vessels.

Only way out by land is through the Gerudo Desert, but you're dealing with average temperatures of 54°C during the day, and -2 °C at night. Not really the best way out of Hyrule, and only the Gerudo are capable of surviving this dangerous environment. Which might explain why Gerudo Town and the nearby Bazaar are big in trading, they can reach lands outside Hyrule for valuable material and merchandise.

The Hermit

Finally collected the final memory. This Zelda is the best written Zelda by far. She's also my favorite Zelda now that I've saw her storyline. Unfortunately the story has the same issues that the past few have. WW and OoT were the last Zelda games where I loved and cared out about the whole cast. Post-WW, TP had Midna, PH had Linebeck, ST had Spirit Zelda, Anjean and Byrne, SS had Fi, Groose, Impa and Zelda, AlBW has Ravio, Hilda and Yuga, and this game having Zelda.

Yeah, this game still isn't the OoT killer regarding story. Wind Waker too.

Still, it's much better than SS and TP.

Ocarina of Time still is the Goat Zelda game regarding story/characters. Majora too but for all different reasons

nubbe

If anything I wish Horses acted more as if it was a game instead of constantly fighting against the geometry.
I find myself riding past some places at times because I expect the horse to put up a fight against moderate levels in the train.

Edzi

Yeah, this game still isn't the OoT killer regarding story. Wind Waker too.

Still, it's much better than SS and TP.

Ocarina of Time still is the Goat Zelda game regarding story/characters. Majora too but for all different reasons

I'm in a weird place with TP. I think it's a good Zelda game that people are a bit too hard on, but it lacks any real identity of its own so ends up feeling sort of bland compared to the other games.

In some ways, I think botw is similar, but overall it felt like an open world Zelda spin off so I feel weird comparing it directly to OoT/MM or even TP.

Opa-Pa

If anything I wish Horses acted more as if it was a game instead of constantly fighting against the geometry.
I find myself riding past some places at times because I expect the horse to put up a fight against moderate levels in the train.

Yeah this is the reason I barely rode horses despite catching many. They behave so realistically that they feel more like another obstacle in my adventure than a useful tool.

RagnarokX

Yeah this is the reason I barely rode horses despite catching many. They behave so realistically that they feel more like another obstacle in my adventure than a useful tool.

And then one time where I wanted the horse to act that way, it rode off a bridge into the river far below.

OmegaFax

I beat the game with the true ending. It certainly does feel like a lead-in to the story DLC coming out at the end of the year. I guess Hyrule and beyond means either another quest around Hyrule w/ Zelda this time or maybe a new adventure elsewhere.

Ganon in this game is kind of weak both literally and figuratively. He acts more like the disembodied Sauron from Lord of the Rings. No real dialog but just a force of nature, I guess. Maybe that's the point ... just the manifestation of evil. The Master Sword more or less acts as the Fierce Deity Link did in Majora's Mask. It does make bosses a whole lot easier.

I was actually hoping for a more bittersweet ending ... perhaps one where Link does rescue Zelda but she's aged or ends up dying or she must be placed in the Resurrection Shrine (and thus some of the DLC is Zelda II in the way of reawakening her).

The other thing I was hoping for was a twist. Maybe Link was the hero from 10,000 years ago and this wasn't the first time he was resurrected.

In the game, I think the hero of Twilight, Time, Wind, and Sky were referenced in dialog somewhere. I'd place the game way after those games.

It's probably a matter of how they game is played and how much time a player spends on side quests and interacting with NPCs ... but overall, I felt the story was thin. You had bullet points to the narrative but it wasn't cohesive enough. I can't put my finger on it. The game was built with a world in mind and a narrative they could fill in block sections when needed.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
As for Holodrum and Labrynna, there is this fan made map but it is just a guess:

HyruleHolodrumLabrynna.png

Opa-Pa

And then one time where I wanted the horse to act that way, it rode off a bridge into the river far below.

I hear you lmao. The last time I used a horse it was the royal one and while I was running away from some lizalfos in the snow, somehow we fell off a cliff and got stuck at the edge of another one, so I teleported somewhere else and left the horse there... It sure was funny to see it show up during the last battle after that haha.

I was amused to see they have a sound clip for when they're falling (?) since I assumed they couldn't due to their physics.

Majukun

rewatched the final boss played by someone else..it's a complete joke...i wonder why they didn't even try with that one..i mean..it doesn't even AIM that giant laser beam..he just akwardly rotates in place waiting to be slaughtered,what were they thinking?

how awesome would hav been to fight that thing while it actually put ups a fight'i mean running around the open world,jumping on the mountains and so on,and you have to chase it on horse while avoiding its attacks...

or lierally anything else than what we got.

Kyzon

Play the Oracle games. They take place in other lands where there's problems just as bad as Ganon.

Edzi

rewatched the final boss played by someone else..it's a complete joke...i wonder why they didn't even try with that one..i mean..it doesn't even AIM that giant laser beam..he just akwardly rotates in place waiting to be slaughtered,what were they thinking?

how awesome would hav been to fight that thing while it actually put ups a fight'i mean running around the open world,jumping on the mountains and so on,and you have to chase it on horse while avoiding its attacks...

or lierally anything else than what we got.

I really liked another idea someone brought up here, where at the end Ganon starts to move across the map, and you have the revisit all of the main locations again and fight him in each area. The areas could change and the NPCs could all react to his presence, and it could even give the champion's descendants a bigger role to help Link defeat Ganon/a form of Ganon in each location, and then it could finally end on Hyrule Field.

The Hermit

I'm in a weird place with TP. I think it's a good Zelda game that people are a bit too hard on, but it lacks any real identity of its own so ends up feeling sort of bland compared to the other games.

In some ways, I think botw is similar, but overall it felt like an open world Zelda spin off so I feel weird comparing it directly to OoT/MM or even TP.

Well, I was just talking about the story. This is my favorite game tied with OoT. While the main story is not as good, the world building is unparalleled.

On the other hand I really disliked TP, everything felt forced.

I really liked another idea someone brought up here, where at the end Ganon starts to move across the map, and you have the revisit all of the main locations again and fight him in each area. The areas could change and the NPCs could all react to his presence, and it could even give the champion's descendants a bigger role to help Link defeat Ganon/a form of Ganon in each location, and then it could finally end on Hyrule Field.

The second form was a glorified FMV. That ideia is amazing btw

Golnei

I was actually hoping for a more bittersweet ending ... perhaps one where Link does rescue Zelda but she's aged or ends up dying or she must be placed in the Resurrection Shrine (and thus some of the DLC is Zelda II in the way of reawakening her).

That sort of ending would be preferable - Zelda having been dead for 50 years and fighting on as a spirit would have also fit in with the champions' plots, and also helped to reinforce the game's themes in a way that the current conclusion doesn't - just having her end up okay and reclaiming Hyrule with Link feels like it wastes the thing they were setting up in the backstory with slavish adherence to tradition leading to Hyrule's ruin.

It'd be like if Wind Waker ended with the Great Sea being drained and Tetra deciding to live as Zelda permanently.

SolVanderlyn

I have a feeling the "real" ending will be in the DLC. At least, I hope so.

Stopdoor

I hear you lmao. The last time I used a horse it was the royal one and while I was running away from some lizalfos in the snow, somehow we fell off a cliff and got stuck at the edge of another one, so I teleported somewhere else and left the horse there... It sure was funny to see it show up during the last battle after that haha.

I was amused to see they have a sound clip for when they're falling (?) since I assumed they couldn't due to their physics.

One pro-tip with horses, if you hold the lock-on button ZL, the horse is a lot more flexible in movement. I tried to inch him down Tanagar Canyon and had some success and some failures, so I know horses can fall off cliffs, haha.

Ultimadrago

I dont like the fact that Zelda is still alive while everyone else died...

Anyways, this guy uploaded all the japanese memories with an english dub. I think I would have enjoyed the story more if we got that.
https://youtu.be/Gtaa7iFpbPI

I haven't heard much from the Japanese dub, but I hope it's much better than what we got for the English dub. Zelda's voice was especially one I had a hard time keeping a straight face listening to.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I keep watching the Switch trailer and just keep imagining what if we had a story that did all these characters justice? As if we were in the thick of the story, instead of that piecemeal sort of thing we really got. Where you weren't with Zelda just in memories or at the very end, where you teamed up with the other characters for more than just getting into or traversing the beasts, where you actually were around when everything went to shit. I mean, I understand why the story was presented like it was, because they wanted to give us complete freedom, but I'm greedy.

Imagine a story like OoT's told in this engine. I would probably never get over myself.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm 45 hours in, and I just realized two things - looking for some guidance:

I have paid zero attention to the "stat bonuses" on weapons :-/ Are they random? Can you boost, say, the attack up on a weapon you already have? How much of a difference does this make? How can you "read" the stats?

Similar for clothing? I have yet to get a complete set, so I haven't bothered with the fairies. I want a complete OoT or WW set, but my amiibos just won't drop the tunics. Anyway, are some sets way better choices to "level up" than others?

Top Bottom