• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

Whales

Banned
So i just finished the game after 60h

Am i the only one who finds the ending quite... Lacking? The last boss fight is pretty meh too.. It's pretty bad to be honest... I would've liked to see Hyrule after Ganon was destroyed.... Couldve been nice to have a little party ala OoT too.

I also would have liked to see how Hyrule looks 100 years after Ganon's destruction for example... Didn't happen either :/

Gilby

Am i the only one who finds the ending quite... Lacking? The last boss fight is pretty meh too.. It's pretty bad to be honest... I would've liked to see Hyrule after Ganon was destroyed.... Couldve been nice to have a little party ala OoT too.

I also would have liked to see how Hyrule looks 100 years after Ganon's destruction for example... Didn't happen either :/

Did you find all the memories? It's not much, but adds a little bit of post-ganon stuff at the end.

Whales

Banned
Did you find all the memories? It's not much, but adds a little bit of post-ganon stuff at the end.

I did. Are you talking about the scene where Link and Zelda are near their horses and talk about seeing Vah Ruda?

That scene was pretty much nothing tbh...

Hydrus

I think this is how everyone feels lol. I think the ending is bad, but I'm holding out how that the DLC is gonna take place post game and is the true ending. I'm ready to be let down.

watershed

Banned
Zelda mentions she has a power passed down in her bloodline that can defeat Ganondorf, and the Triforce features in the closing cutscene accordingly. It's one of the reasons that this game is probably not in the Adult Timeline, since the Triforce is in the Sacred Realm by the end of tWW and can't be accessed without major hand-waving.
Interesting. So that is the Triforce I caught a brief glimpse of in the room where Calamity Ganon falls from? It seems like the game doesn't mention the Triforce much at all, not even in the scroll cut scenes recalling how Ganon was defeated 10,000 years ago or 100 years ago. It's very interesting to me that the Triforce figures so little into this game. Can anyone else recall mentions of the Triforce or the role it has in the story?

Personally, I didn't even think about the Triforce at all during my playtime until I got to Calamity Ganon.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
1p0aXMi.jpg

Ipx2Few.jpg

mf1kPoH.jpg

JbqSASJ.jpg

watershed

Banned
The complete ending is so much better than the normal ending. That last scene is just much more satisfying and the music swells to hit all the right notes for a wistful and optimistic tone. It also seems to hint at the dlc to come but maybe that's just me. Its a great ending to the epic journey of the game where the normal ending feels intentionally understated.

Whales

Banned
The complete ending is so much better than the normal ending. That last scene is just much more satisfying and the music swells to hit all the right notes for a wistful and optimistic tone. It also seems to hint at the dlc to come but maybe that's just me. Its a great ending to the epic journey of the game where the normal ending feels intentionally understated.

really? It just felt tacked on to me... I don't care if Vah Ruta isnt working, what I want to see is how the whole kingdom of hyrule reacts to ganon being destroyed... and what does zelda's "maybe my power dwindled but its fine hehe" line even mean?

I could have not seen that scene and the ending would not have changed for me. Its disappointing as hell

watershed

Banned
really? It just felt tacked on to me... I don't care if Vah Ruta isnt working, what I want to see is how the whole kingdom of hyrule reacts to ganon being destroyed... and what does zelda's "maybe my power dwindled but its fine hehe" line even mean?

I could have not seen that scene and the ending would not have changed for me. Its disappointing as hell

For me it shows that Zelda is active again, doing stuff she enjoys. Ganon is gone but rebuilding will have to happen which is now possible because she and Link succeeded. The Vah Ruta line doesn't matter but there is a bittersweet notion to Zelda reuniting with people she knew 100 years ago like Mipha's father. And the music hits all the right notes including Zelda's lullaby and the LoZ main theme. I found it to be a proper ending that is optimistic and forward looking instead of the very quiet, subdued, almost melancholy and very short normal ending.

13ruce

Banned
Kinda hope the dlc takes place after the Ganon Fight and that we can play in that world and see the npc reactions.

Just make it so if you go to hyrule castle you can travel back in time before Ganon's defeat. This is ofcourse non canon and for gameplay reasons only.

R0ckman

So, whats with the series and how it determines if humans exists? It seems in some games humans exist or everyone is a sub species of hylian. There don't seem to be humans in this one.

Haven't finished it yet but I'm at the final boss. I have to say that I'm mesmerized by Hyrule Castle in this game, it's phenomenal, but I wish I could explore it without all the fucking guardians everywhere like postgame or something.

Ultimadrago

I agree with your comment here. Though with how the story beats of the whole game pan out, I wasn't at all surprised by an underwhelming ending, sadly.

For me it shows that Zelda is active again, doing stuff she enjoys. Ganon is gone but rebuilding will have to happen which is now possible because she and Link succeeded. The Vah Ruta line doesn't matter but there is a bittersweet notion to Zelda reuniting with people she knew 100 years ago like Mipha's father. And the music hits all the right notes including Zelda's lullaby and the LoZ main theme. I found it to be a proper ending that is optimistic and forward looking instead of the very quiet, subdued, almost melancholy and very short normal ending.

I can certainly see where you're coming from. It's a kind of closure compared to the standard ending. Link gets to see Zelda smile again and they have to work towards a greater Hyrule. But even after all of the memories, I wish I felt the bond the two had (not necessarily romantic) to really share that moment. I have to say that it was an isolated character moment gone flat for me. We get a somewhat emotive Link during our actual exploration, but I found nothing during the triumph (and a number of the other story moments/memories).

Haven't finished it yet but I'm at the final boss. I have to say that I'm mesmerized by Hyrule Castle in this game, it's phenomenal, but I wish I could explore it without all the fucking guardians everywhere like postgame or something.

Hyrule Castle was the first time I saw a 3D map (as I ran into it for reasons before any Divine Beast. It was one of my "Holy crap. That's great!" moments. Reminded me of Megaman going up Wily's Castle! It's really cool to bust down the doors the first couple times.

I just finished the game myself after 67 hours, I felt the same way about the ending until the credits finished and another cutscene played (which I think requires all memories to be unlocked first?), That scene gave me WAY more closure and I really think it should be the default ending.

If you don't want to finish the game again here's what I'm talking about: *Spoiler*Youtube*Spoilers*

I'm still amazed this game is running on the Switch, it's bloody beautiful:

C7aqHUYVsAArL53.jpg

RRockman

Banned
So I just beat the game and I'm really wondering why the heck people think the finale is weakest of all zeldas? I guess it is kinda easy if you do all of the divine beasts but the presentation is 10/10. Ganon was freaky, Pig Ganon was even worse, and the finale with riding around hyrule field and shooting at ganon with your lead horse was freaking cool.

I haven't felt this way about a final boss fight since Ganon in OOT or Ganondorf in WW. Those fights weren't too hard either but their presentation was also top notch. I got chills doing that fight with the Twilight Princess tunic and Epona. It felt right.

Spinifex

I just finished the game myself after 67 hours, I felt the same way about the ending until the credits finished and another cutscene played (which I think requires all memories to be unlocked first?), That scene gave me WAY more closure and I really think it should be the default ending.

If you don't want to finish the game again here's what I'm talking about: *Spoiler*Youtube*Spoilers*

I'm still amazed this game is running on the Switch, it's bloody beautiful:

C7aqHUYVsAArL53.jpg

The Pro HUD is glorious. Remember Skyward Sword with the Wiimote taking up 1/5th of the screen real estate?

Cuburt

Just beat it. 27% complete, all the memories and Divine Beasts. Lots of Shrines and other side quests to still do.

Hyrule caste was really fun. Lots of different ways to find your way to the center. I think it really highlighted for me that not only is the Hyrule castle something where you find your own path, but the whole game. Obviously, that's the point of the game, but if I didn't have the Zora armor, I would have had to take a completely different path instead of using waterfalls or how Revali's gale can really help you if you need to scale walls or cliffs or get over obstacles. Even the help the beasts give you for the final boss is pretty huge, and the powers they give you help the fight a lot, so much so that I turned off some of them in the lead up through the castle (at least some of the time lol). Add to that if you don't get the Master Sword or the Hylian Shield, it makes it such a different fight. It makes me want to replay the game again without all the help and test myself to see how much help I really need to defeat Ganon. It makes this game a very different approach to difficultly.

I didn't get it at first but after thinking about it and rewatching the memories in order, I think it's supposed to conclude Zelda's arc in the memories of her worries about not being strong enough and the burden of living up to her destiny. Memory 13, 14, 15, 16 are specifically about her not being able to hear the voice in the sword or awaken her power. Her defeating Ganon is fulfilling her destiny and saving the kingdom, so she isn't as worried about her power waning or not being able to hear the voice of the sword anymore.

I felt a little disappointed by how short the end was at first, but I do feel like the Epilogue was a nice finish for the game. It ended it all on a good note.

Just beat the game myself and that was my reaction as well...

It was a fun final fight, but the overall castle left me wanting more. By the time you should be traversing Hyrule Castle you have so many tools that scaling the castle really isn't all that challenging. Also, Calamity Ganon was sort of a cake walk...And then the final form is just running around the beast and shooting symbols. Wasn't really all that inventive, even in comparison to the lead ups to the Divine Beasts.

All in all, I would say that the narrative is a bit lacking in parts. The emotional effect of your fallen allies finally reaching their goals to bring down Ganon is somewhat lost on the fact that you don't really know all that much about these characters. Zelda might be the only character that has a range of character traits. Ganon himself just isn't a character..He's a smoke monster.

It's still a tremendous game that is far and above the last few 3d Zeldas (even though I do like SS and TP). It almost feels bad to be critical of the game, because it's SO damn good. However, there are some things that Nintendo can improve upon without sacrificing the open world structure.

- More traditional dungeons: The divine beasts were the closest we came to a traditional dungeon, with obviously the game making up for them with the shrines, but all of the divine beasts left me wanting.

- More diversity in rewards for side-missions: for example it was a bit of a let down to find that the Dragons'only purposes are to lead to shrine quests and better drops.

- A greater narrative that brings the game's characters alive in the same manner that the world is alive.

RagnarokX

I completely disagree. I believe Zelda outright has the entire Triforce at the end of the game. She eliminates Ganon with it. I'm assuming the game wants you to read between the lines and figure that:

1. She obtained each piece by visiting their respective springs across Hyrule (since we see her praying at them)
2. She only got a taste of its power in that one memory, but there was too much happening, everyone was too worn out, so she had to seal herself within Ganon until Link could "line up the shot" for her to finish him off

Well, my reasoning is that that is completely inconsistent with every depiction of the Triforce and how it's used to date; but is very consistent with the sealing power passed down through Zelda's bloodline, which is what the power is described in BotW as. Kass' final song points out the obvious: Zelda's sealing power was awakened by her strong feelings for Link. Zelda was trying to unlock them through logic and reason and empty prayer, which is why she was failing. Mipha tried to point out that her own magic powers were fueled by emotion, but that advice was a bit late. At the end of the game, Zelda informs you that 100 years of sealing Ganon has drained her powers.

LOZLINK

Quick question. I got the true ending with the extra Cutscenes, but upon watching a video, between the do you remember me line and that, there's a scene with the King of hyrule. Did I skip that by skipping the credits or what?

sfried

Just finished the game. It is disappointing to see no post-Ganon defeated celebration (they could've made it change depending on whether or not you unlocked Terry Town, or unlocked the Divine Beasts), but it's not so big of a deal, as I do feel there's a certain sense of somberness to his defeat (since it really does feel many did lose their lives in the cataclysmic event). Even the True End does show that all they could do was rebuild despite the Divine Beasts already breaking down.

It's nice to see Zelda continue her "ancient tech researcher role" despite the initial disapproval of her father (In fact, King Rhoam has a secret journal hidden in the study where he writes that he regrets scolding Zelda for making her do the Princess rituals, and should've instead let her continue study of the Guardians and ancient artifacts as they may prove to be what saves them in the end). Though there definitely does have more of that "open-ended" Princess Mononoke feel to it.

The very last phase of Ganon was simply eye-candy, considering all the hearts I've lost trying my best to time those dodges and perfect-parry his Guardian cannon shots. Maybe it was intentional they kept him easy during this phase (since there are no saves allowed in-between his phases). And yeah, bypassing Hyrule Castle security is easy, but you miss a lot of the "meat" of the area (the interiors are really worth it, both for salvaging and discovery purposes), not to mention you'll miss out on those Lynel fights on each of those 3 gates.

sfried

Quick question. I got the true ending with the extra Cutscenes, but upon watching a video, between the do you remember me line and that, there's a scene with the King of hyrule. Did I skip that by skipping the credits or what?
The True Ending is right after "The End" shows up.

Mandelbo

I remember that, before the game came out, there was speculation that the ruins of Twilight Princess's castle town were present in the game in addition to the one outside Hyrule Castle, due to parts of the map looking extremely similar or something. Did anything ever come of this? I wasn't reading much in the way of spoilers back then, but it'd be quite interesting to see if it is.

I'm still disappointed that the Bridge of Eldin isn't *THE* Bridge of Eldin.

Ms.Galaxy

I remember that, before the game came out, there was speculation that the ruins of Twilight Princess's castle town were present in the game in addition to the one outside Hyrule Castle, due to parts of the map looking extremely similar or something. Did anything ever come of this? I wasn't reading much in the way of spoilers back then, but it'd be quite interesting to see if it is.

I'm still disappointed that the Bridge of Eldin isn't *THE* Bridge of Eldin.

Not really, no. Exploring the ruins of the town, there's nothing that matches the layout of Castle Town in Twilight Princess that much. The fountain was really the thing that made people speculate but now that we can observe it in different angles and up close, it doesn't look anything like the fountain from Twilight Princess.

Wow. Once I realized that I can just farm the dragons by camping in spots that they show up, it has made upgrading the Tunic of the Wild the easiest part of the game thus far.

Does anyone have the stats for fully upgraded amiibo armor? Do they come close?

Moff

Wow. Once I realized that I can just farm the dragons by camping in spots that they show up, it has made upgrading the Tunic of the Wild the easiest part of the game thus far.

Does anyone have the stats for fully upgraded amiibo armor? Do they come close?
Same set bonus, less armor, 20max
They also cost like 33 star fragments whereas dragon farming is epic and fun

Kneefoil

I beat the remaining 12 shrines I had left after beating the game (still sticking to just 14 hearts though), and while I think the reward is really cool, I feel like it comes way too late. I imagine that at the point most people will finish all the shrines they'll only have Hyrule Castle left to beat, if even that.

The game also fails to make a big deal out of it, and just dumps three chests at you, making the tunic feel more like an Easter egg rather than a proper reward. Would've been nice if they'd at least made some kind of short cutscene for Link obtaining something so iconic.

I'd be more okay with it if the game had a New Game + mode that would let you carry over your clothing at the very least, but there doesn't seem to be a NG+ of any kind. We probably won't get to carry over anything to the eventual Hard Mode either.

I beat the remaining 12 shrines I had left after beating the game (still sticking to just 14 hearts though), and while I think the reward is really cool, I feel like it comes way too late. I imagine that at the point most people will finish all the shrines they'll only have Hyrule Castle left to beat, if even that.

The game also fails to make a big deal out of it, and just dumps three chests at you, making the tunic feel more like an Easter egg rather than a proper reward. Would've been nice if they'd at least made some kind of short cutscene for Link obtaining something so iconic.

I'd be more okay with it if the game had a New Game + mode that would let you carry over your clothing at the very least, but there doesn't seem to be a NG+ of any kind. We probably won't get to carry over anything to the eventual Hard Mode either.
Yeah I do wish there was a little more fanfare but I appreciate how you have to earn your way to become the Hero of the Wild. Was totally worth waiting to get it before fighting Ganon. Got to look the part with the outfit and made me really like seeing those endgame scenes

Majukun

yeah,it's definitely lacking both in the final boss department and the end itself
ocarina's and majora's endings are superior by a mile,a lot more heart

Whew, finally done all the shrines, found 110 myself but succumbed to a guide for the last 10 lest I go insane trawling across the vastness of Hyrule.
I can conclude this game is pretty neat.

HF2014

Ok. It hurt. I just spend 10.000 rupees... Now hoping maxing armor will make a hell of a difference, time to go hunting!

fastmower

I felt that ending was completely shallow and tacked on. Honestly a big cringe moment. :p

Ultimadrago

Whew, finally done all the shrines, found 110 myself but succumbed to a guide for the last 10 lest I go insane trawling across the vastness of Hyrule.
I can conclude this game is pretty neat.

Approximately two-hundred less words than is due for a Nocturnowl review. On the double!

Thud

Well, my reasoning is that that is completely inconsistent with every depiction of the Triforce and how it's used to date; but is very consistent with the sealing power passed down through Zelda's bloodline, which is what the power is described in BotW as. Kass' final song points out the obvious: Zelda's sealing power was awakened by her strong feelings for Link. Zelda was trying to unlock them through logic and reason and empty prayer, which is why she was failing. Mipha tried to point out that her own magic powers were fueled by emotion, but that advice was a bit late. At the end of the game, Zelda informs you that 100 years of sealing Ganon has drained her powers.

That's some love juice.

Finally collected the final memory. This Zelda is the best written Zelda by far. She's also my favorite Zelda now that I've saw her storyline. Unfortunately the story has the same issues that the past few have. WW and OoT were the last Zelda games where I loved and cared out about the whole cast. Post-WW, TP had Midna, PH had Linebeck, ST had Spirit Zelda, Anjean and Byrne, SS had Fi, Groose, Impa and Zelda, AlBW has Ravio, Hilda and Yuga, and this game having Zelda.

Top Bottom