• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of War sold ~ 400.000 copies on Steam in 7 days.

35 hours clocked in and not a dime spent on MT's, I feel like I'm the one doing the playing. :)

Well that's the thing, you don't have to spend on MT, you just have to excuse it.

There are two kinds of marks here.

One are the people who buys into the micro transactions to fuel the system, the other are the people who excuses them to defend the system. Both don't realize they're being used.

Balphon

I found the game's frustratingly poor combat to be more of a negative than the lootboxes.

Though in the time I played the loot didn't seem to make much of a difference beyond the number of arrows I had, so maybe it was that I wasn't feeling compelled to chase the loot in the first place.

sKiTz

Yup. GAF's outrages on MTs and loot boxes are pretty much old man yelling at the clouds.

GAF has been actively avoiding F2P MMOs and mobile games over the decade, without realizing that we are not core gaming target market anymore. The new generation who grew up with MTs and loot boxes has emerged as the core gaming market today.

I’m not going to bother responding to the guy who thinks I’m talking about three year olds but You sir are spot on, this is what they are used to and majority accept as standard now.

The Microtransaction buzz didn't affect the sales of the game after all.
lOPlpN8.png

Lol what are you basing this off, tales from your butt?

THEaaron

Awesome game. I am glad that I bought it.

Having an absolute blast playing it. And the microtransactions didn't influence the gameplay for me at all.

Basing off what?
Calm down kid.

Don't call me a kid, I'm over 30. Also I'm perfectly calm.

Based on what would you say MT's did not affect sales? Who says it could not have sold more if it wasnt filled with MT's and locking features behind online only?

Stygr

Banned

Based on what would you say MT's did not affect sales? Who says it could not have sold more if it wasnt filled with MT's and locking features behind online only?

If you don't want to be called kid, you should respect other people and not typing the "tales from your butt".

People here were shouting the failure of the game due to the lootboxes, not me. And 400.000 copies in one week for a AAA game, cracked at day one is a LOT.
Open Steamspy and check the sales number in the first week of RE7, Prey or basically every other AAA game released this year.

I thought the problem with the lootboxes was the notion that they'd change the game design to push people into buying them?

By all accounts, they didn't do that.

So why are people still complaining? Let the slippery slope do its thing if it comes to that. But don't lambaste games that evidently did nothing wrong. It's... unbecoming.

Vice

Those features don’t seem to affect sales very much at all. Games like 2K, PUBG, Fifa, Overwatch, CSGO, Destiny, etc are all online focused games filled with microtransacions and are some of the bst seling games of this generation.
Even the best selling game of the last two gens GTAV has online only features and microtransactions. It doesn’t appear to have had a negative impact on many games. People don’t mind them and seem to be embracing the sales models for games and additional content now.

If you don't want to be called kid, you should respect other people and not typing the "tales from your butt".

People here were shouting the failure of the game due to the lootboxes, not me. And 400.000 copies in one week for a AAA game, cracked at day one is a LOT.
Open Steamspy and check the sales number in the first week of RE7, Prey or basically every other AAA game released this year.

Tales from your ass is a well known Neogaf phrase, stop being so easily offended.

And oh well good on you for not shouting about failure because of lootboxes. That really makes you an awesome person *rolls eyes*.

People weren't shouting for failure. People were saying that this is a slippery slope and we are going downhill fast.

But your high and mighty attitude like accepting loorboxes somehow makes you a better person is really obnoxious dude.

So yeah, what are you basing it off again that the sales have not been affected by the MT's? Or like I said, tales from your butt? :)

Stygr

Banned
Tales from your ass is a well known Neogaf phrase, stop being so easily offended.

And oh well good on you for not shouting about failure because of lootboxes. That really makes you an awesome person *rolls eyes*.

People weren't shouting for failure. People were saying that this is a slippery slope and we are going downhill fast.

But your high and mighty attitude like accepting loorboxes somehow makes you a better person is really obnoxious dude.

So yeah, what are you basing it off again that the sales have not been affected by the MT's? Or like I said, tales from your butt? :)

Lmao
Where did i say i'm accepting the MT?
Show me where i said: "Yes, lootboxes are good in SP games".
"Accepting lootboxes" suuuuuure.

I absolutely loved the first game and i intend on picking this at some point. From what i've read and heard from people who are playing the game is that the MT's and lootbox stuff is pretty unobtrusive.

I understand the concerns but from everything I've heard it can be ignored. Like other posters have stated, this sort of thing is here and here to stay. Some people like the model, especially when you look at games like GTAV, Destiny and PUBG.

Sounds like the PC port is also decent, hopefully this proves something to WB

Lmao
Where did i say i'm accepting the MT?
Show me where i said: "Yes, lootboxes are good in SP games".
"Accepting lootboxes" suuuuuure.

I meant your high and mighty attitude which comes off again in this post.

People here were shouting the failure of the game due to the lootboxes, not me.

Well good for you. That's what I meant.

And once again you ignored my initial question. Do you have any hard numbers on how the MT has affected sales or are you just coming to your own conclusions. Just curious how you came to that conclusion.

In all seriousness the game seems good. Im curious about the true ending and the supposed grind it requires though.

More and more I feel myself turning on my Amiga, 486, Voodoo 2 and Pentium III systems when I feel like playing games and news like this here is why. Modern gaming demographic has a huge disconnect with me. Not much short of a handful of AAA games and some indie efforts click with me anymore. There is no passion in anything anymore everything feels like cash grabs built on deception. This industry has burnt me out.

More and more I feel myself turning on my Amiga, 486, Voodoo 2 and Pentium III systems when I feel like playing games and news like this here is why. Modern gaming demographic has a huge disconnect with me. Not much short of a handful of AAA games and some indie efforts click with me anymore. There is no passion in anything anymore everything feels like cash grabs built on deception. This industry has burnt me out.

you try telling that to the developers who put their blood sweat and tears into the games they make.

Look at something like cuphead it's a pure passion piece. A real labour of love.

Explain it to me like I'm five.

I'm sure you've heard of the saying "all it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."

In this case they don't need you to spend money on the MT, they just want you to step aside and let other people do it.

I thought the problem with the lootboxes was the notion that they'd change the game design to push people into buying them?

By all accounts, they didn't do that.

So why are people still complaining? Let the slippery slope do its thing if it comes to that. But don't lambaste games that evidently did nothing wrong. It's... unbecoming.

The problem is most publishers know where the line is, but they will push and poke to see how much they can get away with.

There is always some kind of excuse, but if you wait till it's too late to call out bullshit then all the eye rolling gif in the world wouldn't change a thing.

finalflame

Gold Member
Of course it didn’t hurt sales. GAF is delusional in thinking most of the petty issues we pick here matter or even have any visibility to the vast majority of the game buying populace.

Forza 7 is also selling fine all things considered.

Publishers know Reddit and GAF buzz are just noise.

sinkfla87

When loot boxes actually affect core elements of a game is when I think it's understandable for people to be angry (p2w, finished but deliberately cut content, etc.) When it's cosmetic or otherwise non-intrusive upon the players enjoyment then I don't get all the rage shelled out on it. It's like this restaurant where I live, where you can buy a meal for $100 that is literally just a burger and a bottle of wine lol. It's fucking dumb (like horse armor!) but most people just order anything and everything else off the menu at 1/10th the cost and leave satisfied with their night out. Does that restaurant's offer of a shitty overpriced meal (with likely cheap wine) that you won't even order affect your own enjoyment of all the other food that's actually good? Does its mere existence on the menu sour the otherwise decent experience for you? Would you boycott the restaurant for something you wouldn't even order to begin with, or hope that it's doomed itself to failure?

I'm not defending bullshit DLC as yeah there are some scummy examples of it out there, but I think it's important to remain objective as the practice is clearly never going away.

Stygr

Banned
This isn't something you can logically conclude based upon the "evidence" you've presented.

Shadow of Mordor was released on 30 September on Steam. Let's see on October.
Peak Players: 48,518
Avg Players: 14,469
Those are the numbers of October

SteamCharts numbers

Shadow of War released 7 days ago, 400.000 units SteamSpy.
Peak Players: 67,943
Avg Players: 10,311.

It's safe to assume that Shadow of War sold more than Shadow of Mordor with a +20k peak player. So, yes this is a valid evidence imo.

Thorrgal

To be fair there's no way to know if it would've sold more. I guess it would've, but not much more.

I for one didn't buy it because of this, gonna hold on and buy it in the second hand market ;)

Shadow of Mordor was released on 30 September on Steam. Let's see on October.
Peak Players: 48,518
Avg Players: 14,469
Those are the numbers of October

SteamCharts numbers

Shadow of War released 7 days ago, 400.000 units SteamSpy.
Peak Players: 67,943
Avg Players: 10,311.

It's safe to assume that Shadow of War sold more than Shadow of Mordor with a +20k peak player. So, yes this is a valid evidence imo.

But it could have sold more if it did not have MT's and features locked behind only, Correct?

So how can you say MT did not affect sales?

Only people that care about microtransactions and lootboxes are the people that use gaming forums like Neogaf. Average gamer -which is the majority of gamer population- couldn’t give less shits about them.

Well then the majority of GAF users must be rich as fuck cuz they sure are making a lot of money on them.

Stygr

Banned
But it could have sold more if it did not have MT's and features locked behind only, Correct?

Probably yes or probably no, we are not sure about it.
Because it sold more than Shadow of Mordor in the first week and than any multiplatform AAA game launched on PC this year on Steam despite the MT buzz, not counting PUBG.

Only people that care about microtransactions and lootboxes are the people that use gaming forums like Neogaf. Average gamer -which is the majority of gamer population- couldn't give less shits about them.

People are quick to go against their interests when something shiny is dangled in front of them. More at 11.

Obligatory (in this case it was the lack of mod tools and dedicated servers)

Kinda shitty to see people dismiss the loot box stuff in an SP game.

Man remember when horse armor was a thing? Sounded like a joke.

$60 SP game + season pass + MT/loot box offerings beyond cosmetics... "it's fine"

It's going to get worst.

Give these greedy cunts an inch, they'll take several miles until people wake up and realize "wow, this is really shit now".

You're being a bit rigidly literal. Pretty sure he just means that in spite of the massive furor over the game's supposedly aggressive f2p style monetization, the game has been enormously successful in terms of sales, not that it literally hasn't lost a single sale.

xviper

the Microtransactions riot that usually happens is like what happens when a new COD gets announced in the PS3\360 era, everyone loose their shit, then they buy it despite what they say

I'm sure you've heard of the saying "all it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."

In this case they don't need you to spend money on the MT, they just want you to step aside and let other people do it.

My purchase does not effect what other people do. No one is buying or not buying MT's based on my purchase of the game. It is not possible for me to "step aside and let other people do it". Neither I nor you control their purchasing habits. I supported a good game that has been worth my money. I have not bought any MT's and if the lesson a publisher takes away from someone buying a game and not touching MT's is "We need a more intrusive MT system" then they were going down that road anyway. You can stammer and moan and pretend you occupy some sort of moral high ground but as long as development costs are high and online transactions are easy, publishers will be exploring new financial models. Some people will be turned off by them, some won't. You don't get to decide what's acceptable for other people and claiming that they're dumb or suckers for finding value in areas where you did not is asinine behavior. I wouldn't pay a dime for Clash of Clans but if someone plays it every day and finds value in purchasing boosts/gems/etc. then it's not my place to tell them they're wrong.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
You know, this constant propping up of MTs as a good thing is getting a little tiresome. Mass acceptance doesn't mean its good or healthy for the consumer. There was no doubt that the topic of MTs would go ignored by the everyday consumer, but this doesn't end the conversation and controversy about MTs.

I've put in almost 20 hours and am level 40 and haven't bought or thought about buying loot boxes with money. I have however gotten them with in game currency you get, mirian it think its called? I also didn't think the system in the battlefront 2 beta was bad either, I never had the urge of giving them more money for loot boxes and the game isnt out so it could change however loot boxes work but im still positive im not gving them any more money than their $60.

Jingo

Microtransations only scare me in one way, i can see my sons playing videogames in the future and melting my wallet on them without me even knowing, eheh

As for the rest, never bought them and never will, the day i find a game that its severely blocked by microtransations i will be pissed off, but it didnt bother me the least till now, but of course, they are testing and the more they sell, the more they will push "free money" for them.

You know, this constant propping up of MTs as a good thing is getting a little tiresome. Mass acceptance doesn't mean its good or healthy for the consumer. There was no doubt that the topic of MTs would go ignored by the everyday consumer, but this doesn't end the conversation and controversy about MTs.

I don't think anyone here is saying that MT is a good thing. People accept it because they have no choice (other than not playing the games).

shimon

Not surprising. Your average gamer is not bothered by MTs bc:

a) They use them

b) They stay away from them

And as long as the game is good and you can play without spending extra money they will enjoy it.

FiraB

Banned
The MT are pointless in the game frankly, don't know why they bothered considering how much of everything pops up that you can purchase with the coins. Hell you would think legendaries are rare but they drop legendary orcs like skittles at endgame.

My purchase does not effect what other people do. No one is buying or not buying MT's based on my purchase of the game. It is not possible for me to "step aside and let other people do it". Neither I nor you control their purchasing habits. I supported a good game that has been worth my money. I have not bought any MT's and if the lesson a publisher takes away from someone buying a game and not touching MT's is "We need a more intrusive MT system" then they were going down that road anyway. You can stammer and moan and pretend you occupy some sort of moral high ground but as long as development costs are high and online transactions are easy, publishers will be exploring new financial models. Some people will be turned off by them, some won't. You don't get to decide what's acceptable for other people and claiming that they're dumb or suckers for finding value in areas where you did not is asinine behavior. I wouldn't pay a dime for Clash of Clans but if someone plays it every day and finds value in purchasing boosts/gems/etc. then it's not my place to tell them they're wrong.

You’re stepping aside and letting WB know that they can get away with putting micro transactions in their games to fish for vulnerable people. That’s what I meant by stepping aside.

Also you can clearly tell a person something is wrong when you can see how destructive it can be to them and we have seen how MT can be harmful to people.

It’s unfortunate for you that your favorite game has to have micro transactions, I really do sympathize. But I would be the idiot if I think this is only going to stay in the realm of western AAA games and not reach other lesser budget games. This needs to be discouraged as much as possible, not looked away. If you can’t understand the moral reasons I hope you at least understand the selfish reasons.

Top Bottom