• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

Enk

makes good threads.
Never before has a game made me feel my age like Dead & Buried. My aching knees! Ended up having to just sit on them for most of the shoot outs.

Still really enjoying Ripcoil and am now winning most of the matches I'm in. There's something so surreal and natural to its side to side hovering movement that makes me feel like I'm actually gliding like that. I really hope they add more to it down the road because as of right now it's pretty bare bones. Even some character customization would be nice to have.

I played some Ripcoil today. I think lag messed up my experience because I kept surprisingly missing the disc when I was sure I had caught it. I'll try it again tomorrow night.
I couldn't work out how to punch the disc in Ripcoil, nothing I tried worked.

Had the same issue so it's nice to hear it wasn't just me. Couldn't catch or punch the damn thing in the practice mode. Also 75% of the time, the disc would totally change course and juke away from me at the last second. I couldn't tell if I was inadvertently doing it or if it was part of the practice or if it was a bug but it was frustrating as shit.

Ok, just got Touch tonight and haven't had a lot of time to play around, but hot damn. SuperHot VR is nuts. I never played the original, but I keep getting this Matrix vibe dodging all these bullets and shooting back. Just wish it had some sick music like the trailer.

Controllers are so well designed too. Very impressed with the quality and how well the feel and track. Looking forward to playing a lot more over the weekend.

Delt31

I couldn't work out how to punch the disc in Ripcoil, nothing I tried worked.

Has anyone tried Doom 3 yet? It's pretty amazing, although artificial motion plus standing is pretty weird, I don't really recommend trying that for too long, especially if you use the right stick to turn.
But in seated mode, amazing. And that's just with a mod to an old game - I really want to try an FPS designed for seated VR with motion controls.

how do you enable seated mode? I also thought the mod was cool but almost puked playing it.

Delt31

Never before has a game made me feel my age like Dead & Buried. My aching knees! Ended up having to just sit on them for most of the shoot outs.

Still really enjoying Ripcoil and am now winning most of the matches I'm in. There's something so surreal and natural to its side to side hovering movement that makes me feel like I'm actually gliding like that. I really hope they add more to it down the road because as of right now it's pretty bare bones. Even some character customization would be nice to have.

do you not get sick from going left to right? It was making me a little queezy. Any recommendations?

My Touch should arrive Monday! I went ahead and bought SuperHot immediately, so now I have Ripcoil as well as all the other free shit on top of that, and the Vive library to play with. Will probably pickup Raw Data, although right now it's 40 bucks so I may wait until it goes on sale. Finally, VR is here for me. Any other must buys?

YuShtink

Just did First Contact and Bullet Train. Damn these controllers are fucking awesome. Was able to track out a 9x9 playroom pretty easily with the 2 front camera setup, only having issues with tracking when turned completely around near the back of the space. Might try the 2 camera 360 at some point but might just go ahead and get a 3rd sensor to be safe and maybe bump it out to a good 10x10 or even a bit more. I get 12x11 with my Vive setup in the same space, but this is at least pretty close. The controller quality is just off the charts. So comfortable. Grabbing stuff is really natural, and the multiple grip positions when you grab from different angles is mind blowing. Can't wait to jump in to SuperHot and the other full titles.

They were surprisingly quick at sending the third sensor. I ordered one two days ago, and it's already arrived in my country. Won't actually receive it until Monday, but that's okay.

jon_dojah

Banned
Had the same issue so it's nice to hear it wasn't just me. Couldn't catch or punch the damn thing in the practice mode. Also 75% of the time, the disc would totally change course and juke away from me at the last second. I couldn't tell if I was inadvertently doing it or if it was part of the practice or if it was a bug but it was frustrating as shit.

Glad its not just me. I had the same experience and got pretty frustrated. Wish it were like Holoball letting me physically move left and right instead of head tilting.

Enk

makes good threads.
do you not get sick from going left to right? It was making me a little queezy. Any recommendations?

It was a tad disorienting at first, but I got used to it a few matches in. I've been playing with VR since the DK1 days and have gained a great tolerance over time so that may be a factor in it. When gliding I kind of sway my shoulders in the direction I want to go in. I guess I do it in the way I imagine surfers do in controlling the direction of their board.

It also helps to put yourself into the moment and not think about how your body is standing in the real world. Before the match started I usually do a little dance to get me warmed up by swaying my body left to right while doing hand/arm movements. It's not only a good, light workout, but goes that extra step in making me feel present in that moment.

I may actually sell my Vive once a few games, namely Audioshield, are compatible. I prefer Touch so much more.

I thought Audioshield already works with Touch?

YuShtink

SuperHot is just amazing oh my goodness. It's so slick, fast paced and polished. Socking guys in the face is a joy. The "Bye Bye" moment at the start of one stage had me grinning from ear to ear. Truly a Matrix/John Wick simulator. It just feels so good. I'm blown away. It has to be the best VR software I've ever played. And I've played a lot. I'm probably already halfway through but god damn it was already worth it 10 minutes in, and I'll absolutely be replaying this more than once.

*sigh*

Was supposed to come in on the 6th, and the last update was a "Destination Scan" in Los Angeles that morning (I'm in Santa Monica). No delivery attempts or anything, and this is also after I already set it to be dropped off at a UPS Store nearby.

I went ahead and called UPS to open an "investigation" last night, and also opened a support ticket at oculus. Hopefully something happens tomorrow...

JambiBum

Everyone should check out smash box on steam. It's basically dodge ball with powerups but it has multiplayer and is pretty well made. It also has a single player mode with multiple difficulty settings.

Tankshell

SuperHot is just amazing oh my goodness. It's so slick, fast paced and polished. Socking guys in the face is a joy. The "Bye Bye" moment at the start of one stage had me grinning from ear to ear. Truly a Matrix/John Wick simulator. It just feels so good. I'm blown away. It has to be the best VR software I've ever played. And I've played a lot. I'm probably already halfway through but god damn it was already worth it 10 minutes in, and I'll absolutely be replaying this more than once.

Is there a way to forward time without moving? Quite often I find myself just waggling my head or hand side to side just to get time to progress enough to move onto the next action. Feels awkward. Am I doing it wrong?

I want to buy but..how long until Steam version?

Enordash

The Unspoken is way more fun than I ever thought it would be. Dead & Buried is fun too, but it's pretty tough to find a game for me. I also have friends on my list that don't appear when trying to invite in game.

YuShtink

Is there a way to forward time without moving? Quite often I find myself just waggling my head or hand side to side just to get time to progress enough to move onto the next action. Feels awkward. Am I doing it wrong?

If you reach and grab towards the floating Pyramid icon after eliminating all enemies it immediately loads the next scenario. Even when it's not actually within grabbing distance like at the last scenario of the level. You don't have to let time keep playing out until it automatically loads the next. At least that's how I remember it from last night.

wonderpug

Neo Member

Yes, you're doing it wrong. I wave my fists in circles. ; )

Seems like you should be able to hold a button down to make time move forward if you want it to.

Tankshell

If you reach and grab towards the floating Pyramid icon after eliminating all enemies it immediately loads the next scenario. Even when it's not actually within grabbing distance like at the last scenario of the level. You don't have to let time keep playing out until it automatically loads the next. At least that's how I remember it from last night.

Yes, you're doing it wrong. I wave my fists in circles. ; )

Seems like you should be able to hold a button down to make time move forward if you want it to.

Ha :) Yes I agree there should be a button to hold to fast forward time though, breaks the immersion a bit when you have to wave your hand in circles to wait for a guy to get close enough to you before you can knock his block off.

chris121580

So I've just spent the past 3 hours playing VR Sports Challenge. I really thought that game would be a flop but man, it is absolutely awesome! They've nailed every single aspect of it and it's just flat out fun. I know we all got it for free but make sure to check it out. It's so good

YuShtink

Ha :) Yes I agree there should be a button to hold to fast forward time though, breaks the immersion a bit when you have to wave your hand in circles to wait for a guy to get close enough to you before you can knock his block off.

I was wrong about the grabbing toward the pyramid icon between scenarios, all you have to do is look at it for a second or two.

But yea during a scenario if I want to make things speed up I'll just kind of do ridiculous kung fu style motions with my hands to pretend I'm a martial arts master. I must look like a total jackass. A button would def be a nice alternative.

YuShtink

So I've just spent the past 3 hours playing VR Sports Challenge. I really thought that game would be a flop but man, it is absolutely awesome! They've nailed every single aspect of it and it's just flat out fun. I know we all got it for free but make sure to check it out. It's so good

Good to hear. I've got it installed but all I've played so far are the First Contact and Bullet Train demos, and SuperHot (which I can't stop playing). Football looked like a lot of fun even with the limited role you play. So much high quality free content left to try. Medium, Quill, Ripcoil, Dead & Buried, VR Sports, Unspoken. It's crazy. This is a much better launch than the Rift's.

Finally got my Touch last night, OnTrac didn't deliver till almost 7 at night. I was able to hook it up last night and play through First Contact, which is a pretty neat tutorial for the Touch. Then this morning I jumped into a few games such as Superhot, The Climb, Job Simulator, Space Pirate Trainer, I Expect You to Die and others, all of which were really fun. I'm really impressed with the tracking on the controllers, I played a bit of my friend's PSVR and the move controllers were pretty shaky, Touch is silky smooth.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
They're here! Time to play :D

Aaaand Superhot VR is done! Actually managed to beat the final fight on my first try, which I was finding harder and harder to believe as I progressed through it and saw what kind of opposition I was facing.

What a great game! :)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Do yourself a favor and buy SuperHot immediately. You will not regret it.

I had already bought it based on the feedback here and just came back to say IT'S AMAZING! Now I know what Neo felt like, has to be played to understand. Probably the best thing I've played in VR.

YuShtink

I had already bought it based on the feedback here and just came back to say IT'S AMAZING! Now I know what Neo felt like, has to be played to understand. Probably the best thing I've played in VR.

It truly is sublime. I can't stop thinking about the hour or so I played. It might be the first VR game that feels like the total package to me. IThere are no glaring shortcomings or weaknesses outside of overall length. For the last 3 years I've been dying for a VR game with this kind of creative, engaging gameplay and overall quality from top to bottom. It totally blew me away. Absolutely cannot wait to get back home tonight and finish it. And yea, I think before this the Budget Cuts demo on my Vive had the highest caliber minute-to-minute quality of any VR software I had played. But SuperHot just took that spot. Handily.

Wallach

Honestly all I have thought about since getting Touch is SUPERHOT. I need more of it so bad.

Once you throw a knife from one scene and kill a guy in the next scene and take his gun out of his shattering hands... it's kind of the best.

Delt31

So for those that didn't preorder, are you just out of luck with the extra games? How did the exclusive pre order games get communicated just email from vendor or was it in the box?

Wallach

So for those that didn't preorder, are you just out of luck with the extra games? How did the exclusive pre order games get communicated just email from vendor or was it in the box?

The game codes for The Unspoken and VR Sports Challenge were sent to me via e-mail. Medium, Quill and Dead & Buried are free for all Touch owners automatically once you actually sync a pair of controllers to your headset and restart Oculus Home.

Wallach

Yeah they seem to be getting through their orders at a pretty solid clip. My headphones should be here tomorrow, and the third sensor Thursday.

I must say, there are VERY few Vive experiences that I've played that compare to games like Dead and Buried, Superhot, and the Unspoken. They're all remarkably well-made with a level of polish that is rarely seen in VR titles.

Ok, so how do I restart SuperHot? I want to have a friend try and don't want them to have to play where I left off. I don't get a menu, it jumps right in where I left off and can't find any option.

Top Bottom