• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

Wallach

Ok, so how do I restart SuperHot? I want to have a friend try and don't want them to have to play where I left off. I don't get a menu, it jumps right in where I left off and can't find any option.

This is one of the only things bugging me about the game. The only thing I know you can do is delete your save data for the game. It's in the following location:

Users -> (Your User Account) -> LocalLow -> SUPERHOT_Team -> SUPERHOT_VR -> VRsuper.hot

Just move that file out somewhere else to save it or delete it outright to restart your progress.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Medium is absolutely a game changer. It's such a wonderful way to work. It took me little while to wrap my head around working in it since it's different than something like Zbrush and I'm still trying to keep things from becoming too lumpy but I'll definitely be using this as part of my pipeline.

Here's a quick sculpt I did as my first try.

studiotan_2016-12-09_bhs10.jpg

Just got tracking # for extra sensor. VR setup almost 100% complete!

Same! Now I just need to find a good way to mount the sensor...

Also, I picked up Arizona Sunshine since it seemed like a good game (and they reversed course on the Intel i7 exclusive shenanigans). Starts out good, but the game 100% crashes for me when trying to load the second level. :( Sent them a mail about it, and also looked through the Steam forums and I'm not the only one. Hopefully they don't take too long to put out a patch.

Anyone else have too small a space to set up Guardian?

This stuff is fantastic but I have barely any room to do all the cool shit in.

Played some hockey and knocked over my fan.

Compsiox

Banned
Medium is absolutely a game changer. It's such a wonderful way to work. It took me little while to wrap my head around working in it since it's different than something like Zbrush and I'm still trying to keep things from becoming too lumpy but I'll definitely be using this as part of my pipeline.

That is absolutely sexy. Nice job.

It works on ReVive now. Valve patched a fix.

I guess I'm asking is when or if SuperhotVR will be made available on Steam. I'm pretty sure ReVive just means I can buy it on the Oculus Store and play it through Steam. I'd like to buy the VR version using my SteamBuxx which I have enough of to cover the game. I am generally disinclined to buy the game on the Oculus Store because I like keeping as many of my games together on Steam as possible.

If it's not coming anytime soon that's fine. Just want to know what my options are.

Also, does ReVive support mean it supports the Vive controllers already too?

Wallach

I guess I'm asking is when or if SuperhotVR will be made available on Steam. I'm pretty sure ReVive just means I can buy it on the Oculus Store and play it through Steam. I'd like to buy the VR version using my SteamBuxx which I have enough of to cover the game. I am generally disinclined to buy the game on the Oculus Store because I like keeping as many of my games together on Steam as possible.

If it's not coming anytime soon that's fine. Just want to know what my options are.

Also, does ReVive support mean it supports the Vive controllers already too?

Based on their last news post on the Steam page it sounds like they're working on getting it over to Steam, though there's no time frame mentioned.

jon_dojah

Banned
Was able to eek out a bit more space for my playarea. Went from 10' x 7' to 10.5' x 9.5'. Before I was hitting the left and right Guardian edges alot when trying to receive the ball in VR Sports Football or trying to swat the puck on offense in Hockey. Now the grid pops up alot less. Can't imagine how people with smaller spaces are able to manage in games like this or other non-teleport games.

Enk

makes good threads.
Been testing some SteamVR stuff today. For those that love VR and SHMUPs, and haven't had a chance to check it out yet, I highly recommend trying the little arcade machine sitting in the corner of The Lab. I find it the best interpretation of that genre VR so far. Really makes me crave a Cave style VR shoot'em up now.

Also tried out Accounting and thought it was amusing until I go to a part I couldn't pass because there was an object I needed that was right past my guardian bounds and there wasn't a way to teleport to another position. :-/

Seiru

Banned
Ok, so how do I restart SuperHot? I want to have a friend try and don't want them to have to play where I left off. I don't get a menu, it jumps right in where I left off and can't find any option.

You have to delete your save, unfortunately

%UserProfile%\AppData\LocalLow\SUPERHOT_Team\SUPERHOT_VR

And the file is VRsuper.hot

You don't have to delete your save. If you finish the game (which doesn't take all that long) you gain access to a level select screen. I haven't tried using it, but I expect that it'll let you play a single level (consisting of a number of smaller scenes) and then throw you back to level selection.

Same! Now I just need to find a good way to mount the sensor...

Also, I picked up Arizona Sunshine since it seemed like a good game (and they reversed course on the Intel i7 exclusive shenanigans). Starts out good, but the game 100% crashes for me when trying to load the second level. :( Sent them a mail about it, and also looked through the Steam forums and I'm not the only one. Hopefully they don't take too long to put out a patch.

It crashed for me too once I reached the bridge, but restarting the game put me exactly where I left off, allowing me to continue playing without any more issues.

Delt31

my touch controllers arrived and I must say that the hype is real. I own the vive and decided to give the touch and rift a chance bc the reviews were overwhelming positive with the release of the new controllers and wow - they feel very good. I'm actually surprised how nice they truly do feel in your hands. Compared to the bulky vive controllers, I wouldn't even say there is a close comparison to the two - the rift controllers feel so much better.

My rift comes today so I can compare the headsets and actually use the controllers in game but damn - touch is impressive. I always like the built in headphones for the rift and I've heard it's a lighter headset. As long as the lack of true room scale doesn't make a huge diff too me, I really feel like I might make the switch here. The touch controllers feel like my hands as opposed to me always knowing I'm holding a giants plastic wand. The grip is so much better on the touch b/c it's more of a natural fit than the vive's.

I will update once I get the headset today.

EDIT - I took the straps off asap. Wanted as cleas of a feel as possible as these controllers really do feel like extensions of your hands.

Played through the first 2 missions of "I expect you to die".

Such a fun and cool experience and it's very well developed for where VR tech is today. I only wish there were more missions as I've heard it's very short. Really hope they make more missions as I already don't want it to end.

Playing through Bullet Train has me hyped for Robo Recall. Can't believe that's going to be free when it comes out. That game can't come out soon enough.

SuperHot is definitely the killer app. While I think there are areas for improvement (i.e. orchestrated music, interactive game menu in the room, level select...etc), the game is very satisfying when you get past an area you're having difficult with and you hear, "Super Hot". I had a friend try it last night who is not much of a gamer and he picked it right up. Very intuitive and easy to jump in, while still being a challange. Shit is dope.

Overall, Touch is definitely a game changer. I can finally see why the Vive has been popular with it's consumer base. Having Touch had made me want to get a bigger play area. I'm pretty confined right now to a small space, but somewhere down the line I plan on moving my VR gaming from my office to the basement when I get around to finishing it. Excited all over again for VR.

Seiru

Banned
Anybody else have an issue with The Lab where the picture gets split horizontally and all corrupted for moments at a time?

Seems to just happen in that game, which is strange, because it almost feels like a hardware error.

Anyone else have too small a space to set up Guardian?

This stuff is fantastic but I have barely any room to do all the cool shit in.

Played some hockey and knocked over my fan.
Yeah, I had to move Touch to areas I will never have it in actual use, to get the setup program to stop pointing and laughing at me.

chris121580

The Unspoken is so awesome and feels so natural! I can't remember the last time there was a group of launch games this good if ever. Every game I've played has been a great experience. So excited to see what comes out down the road

Yeah, I had to move Touch to areas I will never have it in actual use, to get the setup program to stop pointing and laughing at me.

I should probably do that. I just skipped it but the whole thing feels a bit dangerous. Guardian really doesn't support standing only experiences.

Regardless, I am having a lot of fun so far. SuperHOT is fantastic but I suck at it. I don't think I will finish it in two hours like some others here. I am not artistic so I am terrible at Medium and Quill. VR Sports challenge is really cool Hockey is fantastic. Space Pirate Trainer is fantastic as well.

Tried some Ripcoil. That's another game I am terrible at. I wish they gave you a better practice environment. I still need to play Unspoken and Dead & Buried.

Man, Dead & Buried is intense. Medium is pretty amazing, as is Quill ... both take a few minutes to really "get" IMO, then you're off and running.

VR Sports is OK, I haven't given it much of a chance though. I did just install my right camera, will install the left later today (have to get some USB extensions) and eventually when my third comes it will be in back in me. So about 7' apart in the front, and 16' back with about a 10' x 8' play space is what I'll have. I have a slanted/vaulted ceiling and I have already scraped the roof playing basketball.

Medium and Quill won't launch for me, anyone else have that issue?

Medium launched, but had a ton of artifacts, I ended up having to update my videocard drivers and reinstall it.

Delt31

So the oculus came and I will revisit this tonight when I'm done with Christmas decorations but all i can say is wow. Owned vive for sometime but the combo of touch and the comfort and clarity of rift is top notch. Will def be selling my vive. Full impressions later but surprised about the difference in headset experience.

Edit btw if anyone wants to sell pre order code to vr sports pm me.

Enordash

I'm really enjoy the quality of the games with this launch. The Unspoken is rather addictive, and I catch myself always saying "just one more round." I am getting a problem where my right controller's tracking seems to get worse and worse over time. I'm checking to make sure that my sensors haven't moved and I am still properly facing the camera. No matter where that controller is in the space, it'll start to drift off. Any suggestions?

Edit: I'm using the normal two sensors in front configuration.

bounchfx

Is there a quick way to subtract? like Alt in zbrush? that's the biggest thing stopping me from using Medium. It looks so well designed, except for the fucking fact that you have to go into the menu just to erase/sculpt down instead of out

Go to your hidden appdata\locallow\SUPERHOT_Team\SUPERHOT_VR and delete VRsuper.hot

This will delete your progress though so will have to start over. doesn't really bother me as it's short and pretty fun to catch up

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Is there a quick way to subtract? like Alt in zbrush? that's the biggest thing stopping me from using Medium. It looks so well designed, except for the fucking fact that you have to go into the menu just to erase/sculpt down instead of out

Double-click the gear button (the one that opens the brush options) to switch. They don't explain this in the tutorial, I had to find it on the forums.

Similarly double-clicking the paint buttons activates the colour picker.

fred

So the oculus came and I will revisit this tonight when I'm done with Christmas decorations but all i can say is wow. Owned vive for sometime but the combo of touch and the comfort and clarity of rift is top notch. Will def be selling my vive. Full impressions later but surprised about the difference in headset experience.

Edit btw if anyone wants to sell pre order code to vr sports pm me.

Yup. I'm so glad that I got my Rift and waited for the Touch controllers to be released rather than going for the Vive. It's the best headset and has the best motion controls. The Touch controllers feel like an extension of your hands and it's VERY easy to forget that you're holding controllers.

I highly recommend that you get the Touch Bundle from the Oculus Store - you get The Climb, Super Hot, I Expect You To Die, Space Pirate Trainer and Kingspray Graffiti plus Ripcoil. All for 70 quid. Bargain.

Ripcoil is simple but great, I'm not so great at it though. Does anyone know if throwing it with an extra flick of the wrist gives it more spin or anything? Trying different strategies but I can't tell what works and what doesn't.

Enordash

Ripcoil is simple but great, I'm not so great at it though. Does anyone know if throwing it with an extra flick of the wrist gives it more spin or anything? Trying different strategies but I can't tell what works and what doesn't.

I was testing this out earlier with someone, and it didn't really seem to, but maybe we weren't putting enough on it or something.

I can post again!!! I had touch since earlier this week and my god it is what VR needed. I was bummed out, my rift gathering dust, my dreams of VR shattered. Then touch comes and its what I dreamed of, this is the future right here, the gameplay possibilities on display are just mindblowing.

Like most I feel Superhot is the killer app. It sells the concept of motion controls in a VR space so naturally, no complicated movement controls, its just a badass simulator. BUT its super short, so it feels like a concept more than a full game.

All the Oculus stuff is great, especially Unspoken. That is a superhero simulator. When I picked the class that can hurl objects I felt like magneto. There are so many great ideas there but I feel its wasted on a simple multiplayer only game. That could easily become a great single player game. Same with Dead and Buried, another awesome feeling game regulated to simple online modes. There isnt that many people with this device, the shelf life of these online only games will be very short.

Besides Superhot the next best thing I have tried in VR is Budget Cuts. Holy hell the possibilities for stealth in a game like that, i need a full game right now. The crazy thing is I am playing it on just a two cam setup in a tiny space so I had to use the teleporter in weird ways just to stay facing forward. This game in a full space must be amazing. The room scale stuff is a game changer, being able to move around naturally in a game completely immerses you.

As cool as this has all been I need full games. I need something I can play for 5-10 hours, that has a beginning, middle and end. Thats why I play video games, for campaign, for awesome level design and gameplay moments. All the full game stuff seem to all be in early access right now.

Septimius

Is the extra sensor needed? Why can't they do with these what Vive can with two? My Touch is on the way, but I'll have two sensors. How much will that impede me? Are most Steam VR room scale games good to go with Rift now?

Is the extra sensor needed? Why can't they do with these what Vive can with two? My Touch is on the way, but I'll have two sensors. How much will that impede me? Are most Steam VR room scale games good to go with Rift now?

I have a small space, like 2m by 1.5m and that's me kind of cheating. I have only two cameras. I was able to play budget cuts which has tons of moments where you are facing back, as long as the hands are in view of the cameras, meaning don't put them in front of you while your back is to the camera they work. I used teleporting to get me close to stuff so that I didnt have to move much.

There was the star wars experience where you deflect lasers while facing back, somehow it worked fine.

The lab worked fine.

The thing is you cant simply turn around and expect the tracking to work perfectly, as long as you are mindful of that it seems to work.

fade_

If you have smaller than a 12x12 space and set them up in the upper corners of your space diagonally two is pretty sufficient but there might be some spots with occlusion when you have the controllers close to your chest like with Vive. My space is about 9x7 and 2 is adequate. I still just ordered a third for hopefully absolutely no occlusion.

Dead and Buried is a quadriceps workout lol. Constant squatting and standing. I was sweating after 3 matches. Damn fun game! Just started SuperHot and it was awesome too but I had to quit for the night.

Dead and Buried is a quadriceps workout lol. Constant squatting and standing. I was sweating after 3 matches. Damn fun game! Just started SuperHot and it was awesome too but I had to quit for the night.

Yeah I cant take the squatting, or kneeling. The game is awesome, horde mode especially but man, we need more standing up spots. That game makes me sweat.

Delt31

for the guys with a third camera - how are you dealing with the extension usb cable that has to be going from your back wall to your pc? Doesn't it just sit across your room? I would hate that but can't think of a better way....

StudioTan

I was playing around in Medium last night and ended up with this little robot. Today I tested exporting, retopologizing and doing a quick texturing test in Substance Painter. Quite happy with the results you can get with Medium in a very short amount of time although exported meshes need quite of bit of cleaning at the moment. According to the devs they are fixing some of the issues with the exported meshes so that should help.

Tain

I was playing around in Medium last night and ended up with this little robot. Today I tested exporting, retopologizing and doing a quick texturing test in Substance Painter. Quite happy with the results you can get with Medium in a very short amount of time although exported meshes need quite of bit of cleaning at the moment. According to the devs they are fixing some of the issues with the exported meshes so that should help.

Awesome work!

Yeah, I'm extremely excited about the future of the tool but I found that the exported meshes currently require a bit too much cleanup for use with my game. It does, however, let me pound out ideas faster than anything else, and it's a joy to toy around with and stumble on cool-looking results, so I'm still considering using it and retopoligizing.

StudioTan

Awesome work!

Yeah, I'm extremely excited about the future of the tool but I found that the exported meshes currently require a bit too much cleanup for use with my game. It does, however, let me pound out ideas faster than anything else, and it's a joy to toy around with and stumble on cool-looking results, so I'm still considering using it and retopoligizing.

Yeah, even the low poly version of this is about 15k quads so it's not game ready by any means but that includes the stand so I'm sure doing the retopo manually I could get this down to an acceptable polycount without it looking too much worse with the textures and normal maps applied.

The best part is I did the sculpt leaning back in my chair with my feet up on the desk, such a relaxing way to work. I could probably work in Medium laying in bed lol

Weird. So I set my controllers down on a chair and one totally bugged out. I then had some weird blue line shelf thing going on. It was two or three lines vertical, with a circle-ish type 'shelf' every foot or so. It was static in everything I played except loading screens. Weirdest shit.

So I'm redownloading everything, had to reinstall completely.

I totally was hoping to play some more tonight too ...

At least the reinstall got rid of it.

YuShtink

So hows Bullet Train? Was pretty excited about that and noticed it was released for free. Is it any good?

It's great but super short. Like 10 minutes. It's a bit overwhelming but you can't take damage anyway so just have fun with it.

StudioTan

So hows Bullet Train? Was pretty excited about that and noticed it was released for free. Is it any good?

It's very fun and looks awesome but extremely short (maybe 5 mins?) since it's just a tech demo. The real release based on the demo will be Robo Recall which is out next year.

for the guys with a third camera - how are you dealing with the extension usb cable that has to be going from your back wall to your pc? Doesn't it just sit across your room? I would hate that but can't think of a better way....
Oculus recommends that the third camera be in a corner of the room, so that should minimize cable issues - run the cable along the walls, the extension is 15 feet long, so it should be plenty long for that. I don't have my third camera yet, but I have its mount all ready in the corner, and some cable mounts as well so most of the wire will be hidden anyways.

The Vive controllers are sticks you hold with a ring of sensors sticking out at the end, so can easily be seen from most angles, and it's hard (though not impossible) to hide all sensors of one with the other. Touch controllers on the other hand are small, hand-sized things, with a ring of sensors sorta wrapped around the hand. Because they are truly virtual hands, it's a lot easier to block one from the view of a camera, which is why Oculus recommends 3 cameras if you want a large room-scale 360 degree experience. You can still do 360 degree experiences with two cameras at opposite corners just like Vive, but you may have tracking issues in certain places so you'll want the area to be smaller, with more camera overlap.

As cool as this has all been I need full games. I need something I can play for 5-10 hours, that has a beginning, middle and end. Thats why I play video games, for campaign, for awesome level design and gameplay moments. All the full game stuff seem to all be in early access right now.

Try Arizona Sunshine. It's got a full campaign that is pretty lengthy for a VR game (about 4-5 hours). It's also got a Horde mode and the option of playing through the campaign co-op. The game has been very well received and is one of the better titles out there right now.

Keep in mind that you might want to get it for Oculus Home instead of Steam right now, despite any price differences. The Steam version uses OpenVR, and that's causing a bit of trouble for Rift users.

Top Bottom