• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K16 |OT| This Time With Less Cheese

ViciousDS

Banned
Damn, I remember working on NBA Live 96/97 and having to scrub the tattoos from players in the intro/team sequences. We've come a long way.

I'm going to wait on this one - see how egregious the VC fuckery is before taking the plunge. 2K14 was a massive offender in this regard, I didn't even bother with 2K15.

I feel ya Bish, 2k14 was an amazing looking game and was honestly the biggest reason I bought a PS4 at launch. It was the most beautiful looking game on the market to me at least. But holy hell at the VC fuckery. 2k15 change a lot of that and removed VC from MyLeague and allowed GM to be enjoyable without it or you easily had enough of it for actions you wanted to do by playing. MyCareer was ok...but the whole leveling skills in groups was fucking retarded.

edit: chris bosh video bombing is going to be fucking hilarious playing as the heat

2KBoshVideoBomb.gif

gazele

Banned
Really unsure about picking this one up

Ended up being disappointed in 14 and 15, but the my career stuff looks super interesting this year

cripterion

if you two are getting on PC add me.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/that-omega-guy/

I think Live 15 showed potential but the gameplay just wasn't there. Too easy to cheese. My first rookie game I dropped a triple double with 89 points, I think I posted a pic in one of the old NBA Gaf threads..

Added. Here's mine just in case anyone else is getting it for PC http://steamcommunity.com/id/blakstatus/

Will add you guys.
But forgot to mention I'm playing from EU.

CD'S BAR

Looks like quick match online is getting revamped this year.

Theres a trailer online but i cant link to it now since im on my phone.

Basically:
- the goal is to level up (or rank up) to reach the greatest of all time ranking
- you earn points by beating people
- nba teams are now classified by tiers, you earn more points by beating someone in higher tiers
- you can play classic teams in ranked once you unlock them (once you reach a certain rank i guess)

Edit: heres the link to the trailer https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e_16Pd6MoKg

hell yes! great news on all points, especially classic teams online.

ViciousDS

Banned
watching a mycareer video and nope.....your character will always be referred to as Freq in the game, and you cannot change that.....minor bummer. You still have a character name though that you give him but for voice wise hes Freq

edit: also looks like there is no option for more than 1 voice actor.....its like 2k14 it seems...one voice.

_Ph03n1x_

Got the Jordan edition pre-ordered! Is there an un-boxing video of the Jordan edition anywhere? I want to see what the physical goodies look like.

watching a mycareer video and nope.....your character will always be referred to as Freq in the game, and you cannot change that.....minor bummer. You still have a character name though that you give him but for voice wise hes Freq

edit: also looks like there is no option for more than 1 voice actor.....its like 2k14 it seems...one voice.

I know people who were angry because they couldn't have a 'white voice" in 2K15 lol.

Coppanuva

Got the Jordan edition pre-ordered! Is there an un-boxing video of the Jordan edition anywhere? I want to see what the physical goodies look like.

I'm curious on this myself, I'm half debating getting Jordan edition instead (I mean... the cover is better, but I really only care about the physical goods), if they're eh and I won't use them, then no upgrade for me.

Justified

Looks like quick match online is getting revamped this year.

Theres a trailer online but i cant link to it now since im on my phone.

Basically:
- the goal is to level up (or rank up) to reach the greatest of all time ranking
- you earn points by beating people
- nba teams are now classified by tiers, you earn more points by beating someone in higher tiers
- you can play classic teams in ranked once you unlock them (once you reach a certain rank i guess)

Edit: heres the link to the trailer https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e_16Pd6MoKg

Also

Play Now Online:Match making within your league & teams can change tiers based on real world team rankings.

okay, but can custom rosters include anyone in the game? or do you need to "unlock" players with VC and such?

just wanna know if there's a "create a team" option

Yup custom rosters can include any player past or present! And Im sure all classic teams will be all available from the start :)

Mahonay

Banned
Those of you who know about this franchise, would you recommend me getting it, if I have nobody local to play against? And seeing that the online stuff never seems to be up to snuff, I'll probably hang out in single player. While doing that, I would also start watching basketball games.

I always liked LA Lakers as a kid but I would like to give every team a fair chance.
The single player season is very solid in 2K. Also if you're going to start watching NBA games 2K tends to be really accurate in modeling how each player and each team plays. If you play like the real team/player does, you'll tend to do pretty well.

I went PS4 with 2K14, X1 with 15, and back to PS4 for 16. Is there GAF activity in NBA 2K on PS4? If so, I'm down.

Was going to try it on PC, but the last one I played on PC (2K12 I believe) had its fair share of issues.

I thoroughly enjoy playing the CPU in NBA 2K, I always find that it plays a great game of basketball. In 2K15 I ended up never starting a season and dicking around in myplayer for only a month or so. I mostly just played NBA Today quick games. Probably will run an association this year.

I'll be ps4, my Psn is the same as my gaf name. Add me if you want, I'd love to get together a team/league of PS4 gaffers with it

I would love to play in a GAF PS4 League. I would like to bring the Pacers!

I just hope it isn't a league with really long quarters. I like player shorter quarters, like 6-8 minutes each.

weevles

Got the Jordan XBO edition preordered. Can't wait to try the revamped story/MyPlayer. Here's hoping for good thangs....

charsace

6'6 sg has a max speed cap of 78 and a max dribble cap of 72. Cheese might be over for real. 7'3 center has a speed max cap of 55!

jpd1408

Banned
Will I be able to play on the heat in my career from draft? If not I may cancel pre order... Never was able to get on the heat in 2k14

cHinzo

Will I be able to play on the heat in my career from draft? If not I may cancel pre order... Never was able to get on the heat in 2k14
Well, u can always force a trade.

Gonna be weird playing as an asian kid living with a black family in the hood lol. From what I saw from those streams, it wasn't really customisable and also only one voice and non-changable nickname. Frequency Vibrations must be the most stupid nickname I've ever heard. God it's so ugly. Kinda a shame, since I'm mostly gonna play MyCareer. ;__;

MC68000

It looks like Best Buy stopped accepting pre-orders for the Early Tip Off Edition. It just says "Coming Soon" now.

abuC

Well, u can always force a trade.

Gonna be weird playing as an asian kid living with a black family in the hood lol.

LOL, not quite the hood, but my family had an exchange student from Taiwan stay with us for 3 years, he ended up loving basketball, playing for a pretty good private school and plays semi-pro back in Taiwan now (he's 6'4). He's like my little brother, had he made the NBA that story would be his lol.

Justified

Here are some Max Attribute stats for some MyPlayer positions. H/T to the OS fam.

PG 6'5 Balance

Moving Shot Close: 80
Standing Shot Close: 80
Moving Mid range: 81
Standing Mid: 81
Moving 3: 79
Standing 3: 79
Free throw: 90
Standing Dunk - 67
Driving Dunk - 84
Contact Dunk - 84
Speed - 82
Acceleration - 82
Vertical - 90
Strength - 83
Stamina - 94
Hustle – 94
Lateral Quickness 64
Ball Control 82
Pass Vision 94
Pass IQ 94
Pass Accuracy 94
Standing layup 85
Driving layup 84
Post Fade away 68
Post Hooks 48
Post Control 67

5'7 outside pg

3pter - 94
speed - 94
playmaking - 94
mid - 94
driving layup 80

6'6 sg outside

Moving Shot Close: 75
Standing Shot Close: 75
Moving Mid range: 87
Standing Mid: 87
Moving 3: 87
Standing 3: 87
Standing Dunk - 79
Driving Dunk - 84
Contact Dunk - 79
Speed - 78
Acceleration - 78
Vertical - 87
Strength - 67
Stamina - 94
Hustle – 94

max 6"10 pf weight 250 Balance

Moving Shot Close: 85
Standing Shot Close: 85
Moving Mid range: 74
Standing Mid: 76
Moving 3: 68
Standing 3: 68
Standing Dunk - 95
Driving Dunk - 80
Contact Dunk - 80
Speed - 68
Acceleration - 68
Vertical - 75
Strength - 85
Stamina - 94
Hustle – 94
Lateral Quickness 64
Pass Perception 94
Block 94
Shot Contest 94
Steal 81
Def. Consistency 94
On-Ball Defense IQ

6'10 pf inside

Boxout- 94
Off Rebound 94
Def Rebound 94
Standing Layup 90
Block 94
Speed - 64
Vertical - 64
Post hookFade 90
Standing Dunk - 94
Driving Dunk - 94
Contact Dunk - 94

7'3 C Inside

Rebounding 94
Standing Layup 90
Block 94
Speed - 55
Vertical - 55
Post hookFade 90
Standing Dunk - 94
Driving Dunk - 94
Contact Dunk - 94
Strenth 94
Acceleration - 55
Stamina - 94
Hustle – 94
Boxout- 94
Off Rebound 94
Def Rebound 94
Lateral Quickness 55
Pass Perception 94
Block 94
Shot Contest 94
Steal 70
Def. Consistency 94
On-Ball Defense IQ 90
Pick n Roll def IQ 94
Help Def IQ 94
Low Post Def IQ 94

Smokey

Pro-Tip: 2k has fucked leagues for years. The GAF league was probably one of the most active (along with the Madden league) here from like 2k9 - 2k12. Then they went and destroyed the mode.

Basically don't get too hyped for it

zychi

Banned
So is the PC version going to be the same as PS4? Or will we get a raw deal?

Most likely a raw deal. It'll have the same or better graphics, but most of the stuff like servers, updates etc will be ignored like they have for the past few years.

I'd love for 2k to prove me wrong, but their track record says otherwise

Purexed

Banned
Down for some Pro-Am this year on PS4. Seems like a great new wrinkle to compliment or replace ranked play. The latter has become stale from the lack of challenge. Not uncommon racking up 20-25 straight ranked wins before getting a real challenge from a cat that plays smart.

Justified

Down for some Pro-Am this year on PS4. Seems like a great new wrinkle to compliment or replace ranked play. The latter has become stale from the lack of challenge. Not uncommon racking up 20-25 straight ranked wins before getting a real challenge from a cat that plays smart.

Rank Play is being improved this year

Smokey

Yeah I did this and more multiple times in 2k15 on PS4.

Had me wondering if the real comp was still on xbox. I've noticed even in past 2k's that it was a little weaker on PS systems.

JeanPi

Banned
02-03 T-mac was like watching Michael Jordon's second coming.....that shit was unreal. The whole league at the time was amazing. 32.1 ppg.........fuck

DAMN! Im so happy there are some tmac fans around here. Tmac's the reason i started balling in real life. This game is worth it for me just for the 08 Rockets, but it would be nuts to see the 02 Magic Tmac.

diggler41

I hope Association doesn't need to be online. Frustrates me when I have to have a whole other save file just to play if my internet goes out.

I doubt we'll be able to play as a white guy at all.... With Cee-Cee being your fraternal twin and stuff like that...
Your character has a sibling? Bro or sis?

Actually looking forward to the expanded story we're getting this time.

In defense of the voice removal, the new one they added last year was pure garbage. I'd rather the same stale voice we've had than that one.

6'6 sg has a max speed cap of 78 and a max dribble cap of 72. Cheese might be over for real. 7'3 center has a speed max cap of 55!
Damn, 78 seems pretty low for that size. That's my position and height:/

Gonna be weird playing as an asian kid living with a black family in the hood lol. From what I saw from those streams, it wasn't really customisable and also only one voice and non-changable nickname. Frequency Vibrations must be the most stupid nickname I've ever heard. God it's so ugly. Kinda a shame, since I'm mostly gonna play MyCareer. ;__;
Imagine you were adopted.

Korezo

So this year everyone gonna be 5ft, and continue the cheese. The year of the Iversons', 2k should of got iverson back on the cover.

I may go for a PF not that quick but good inside D and a powerful contact dunker.

Anyone close to 5ft trying to going inside will be dealt with.

Top Bottom