• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon calls the Wii U "a Wii add-on".

Status
Not open for further replies.

aett

They can't call it the Wii 2 because there are consoles named Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. I'm serious. Microsoft knew that the PS3 would come out and have that name, so they couldn't call their Xbox successor the "Xbox 2", because it sounds like a lesser console than the "PS3". Likewise, I'm sure Sony took the 3DS's name into consideration and that's probably one of the main reasons that they didn't name the Vita "PSP 2".

Tookay

Is that actually a feasible situation, though? Are they selling separate gamepads in the first place?

If the concern is that this turns in to a 3DS situation - people thinking it's just a Wii revision and deciding it's not worth upgrading - is there a functional difference the gamepad being tied as necessary to the software and the system being tied as necessary to the software?

It's not an ideal situation, but I also saw several million people buy a camera for their system for $250 not too long ago. I'm not going to run around claiming that it can never happen.

That camera was branded differently and with $100m+ marketing campaign.

This just causes brand confusion that's more likely to lead to people just tuning out.

jokkir

I don't think he really is. I saw him trying to play Uncharted 3 on his stupid show once...he was struggling to control Drake...like he had never played a game with dual analog control before. I guess he could be into games but just really suck at them.

Well, it is a live demo and he can't really blaze through it. He had to show how fun it would be to play and get the audience involved somehow.

Although that doesn't really say if he's a "big gamer" or not.

JABEE

Yeah, for the first time since E3, I got the feeling again.

As for the 3DS confusion situation, this is totally different. The DS has 4 versions, and all look almost exactly alike on the box. The Wii has a picture of a wiimote along with the console, and the WiiU will most likely have a huge picture of a Tablet along with the console in the back. Also, anybody wanting to buy the "Tablet Wii" durin the Holidays will have to buy the WiiU console alongside it because all signs are currently pointing to no single SKU WiiU Gamerpads for sell at launch.

This is a non-issue.

There is also Wii's history of peripherals. A tablet called UPad that was on Wii made by THQ. The system uses the same font and logo as Wii and it utilizes the wii remote and nun chuck along with the Pad in demonstrations. I don't see how this is a non-issue.

Row

Banned
why not just call it wii 2?i dont get it...

Because Iwata is a horrible CEO.

He's clearly not accepting of constructive feedback from his employees and can't deal with those who have disagreements, since it seems in his mind they're always wrong and he is always right.

The naming of the system, the poor online infrastructure, and the same bad 3rdparty relationship really cements it.

Emitan

He's clearly not accepting of constructive feedback from his employees and can't deal with those who have disagreements, since it seems in his mind they're always wrong and he is always right.

The naming of the system, the poor online infrastructure, and the same bad 3rdparty relationship really cements it.

*looks at Wii and DS sales*

Okay.

Wiz

I'd say by launch, people will know that it's a brand new console. Nintendo really needs to market this right over the next couple months.

RagnarokX

I need to get a time machine and see if anyone mistook Super NES for an NES add-on.

Really it's not that big a deal unless you think it was a big deal that people called Genesis and Playstation "Nintendos" or, later, all consoles were "Playstations".

Xyrmellon

I guess he could be into games but just really suck at them.

bki9B.jpg

Sorry Brad, love ya.

Also, he steals my newspaper and is wants to convert my cat to communism. He tries to brainwash me with his pills, but I'm too smart for him!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I don't think it's a non-issue, but I think this particular instance is not indicative of anything major.

I mean non-issue as in it will create no more confusion then a 2 for "The New Playstation" did. Obviously the people who complain because they can't use their Wiimotes while playing Michael Jackson: The Experience on Kinect (real complaint) will be confused as always.

You know..that "mistake" could have been intentionally done to rile things up and to get more attention. Either way, looks like the publicity worked :p

I need to get a time machine and see if anyone mistook Super NES for an NES add-on.
I read some old articles arguing Nintendo was foolish for not making SNES backwards compatible with NES games to capitalize on the large NES user base.

Not quite the same, but you know, Nintendo is perpetually doomed.

Caelestis

I think the name wouldn't be too much of a problem if they'd just focus on a console as a whole and made it clear that it is their next gen. All they do is show off the controller that makes it look like some random add-on.

So we the shareholders are all agreed. We need someone who is fresh and exciting to message board posters and can give them the memes and PR bullshit they want to hear.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Jummy Fallon called it a "add-on" ? ....HOLY SHIT, NINTENDO IS SO SCREWED :eek:

golem

I don't really think Jimmy is much of a gamer.. but I don't watch his shows so only can base this on segments I've seen.

snesfreak

Banned

Yay made up nonsense and hyperbole!

Duffyside

Banned
He then let the Wii die a slow and horrible death instead of capitalizing on the momentum of the Wii and releasing WiiU in 2009 before Kinect launched.

Yup, three years after Wii. A whole new system, with tech I'm sure they were just sitting on, that didn't take any time or investment or research and development to cook up. If only Iwata were as smart as you...

Kusagari

Iwata is the one who spearheaded the DS and Wii. Calling him a horrible CEO because he's having trouble replicating the success of the two biggest products in Nintendo's history, which he created and marketed, is a joke.

So we the shareholders are all agreed. We need someone who is fresh and exciting to message board posters and can give them the memes and PR bullshit they want to hear.

The stock price is 25% lower now than when he took over and they just had their first ever fiscal year loss.

The last people in the world who are on Iwata's side at the moment are the shareholders, considering how low the stock price is in relation to cash on hand.

Tookay

While I think you're being downright hyperbolic about him being a horrible CEO (the dude's pretty prescient), I do think Iwata has been dropping the ball lately in one respect: he has an acute sense of where Nintendo's weaknesses are, yet follows it up by continuing to make the same mistakes all over again. They need to be faster at changing their corporate structure.

Penguin

So you assume Iwata sits in a room on his own and makes all of these decisions without any input from anyone in the company?

(We also know nothing of their online infrastructure yet...)

onipex

See, here's where I take exception to this argument. Adding a 2 does not magically clear up confusion.

I have worked retail during system launches and PS1 owners have purchased PS2 games because they were still on discs and thus logically should have worked. I have seen parents complain their DS cart was too small for the GBA. I have seen people on the internet say there was no reason Wii games and controllers should not be compatible with the Gamecube.

The reason that clears up is because of marketing and software. The person who is confused? They rarely become spiteful and refuse to ever buy anything from that manufacturer again. If you've seen this happen, please share it with me, because I have not. If they see a game they want, they will put down the money.

Despite being an add-on, Kinect smashed records and elevated 360 hardware because marketing was abundant. We're six months from launch and Jimmy Fallon mistakenly identified it. His mistakes did not seem to convince the world that Uncharted 3 did not have shooting in it.

This! Plus Jimmy called it a new system and crowd responded well to the showing. This thread is silly.

Duffyside

Banned
If they wanted the Wii name, why didn't they just call it the Wii 2?

Actually, I like where their head is at, but I don't think the "U" gives off the "hey, you can play your games on this new controller as long as you're still near the console" vibe. Instead...

WiiNear.

Wiener.

Iwata is the one who spearheaded the DS and Wii. Calling him a horrible CEO because he's having trouble replicating the success of the two biggest products in Nintendo's history, which he created and marketed, is a joke.

Ken Kutaragi developed two of the most successful consoles of all time before the PS3. He was forced into retirement. Just saying.

JABEE

Yup, three years after Wii. A whole new system, with tech I'm sure they were just sitting on, that didn't take any time or investment or research and development to cook up. If only Iwata were as smart as you...
What I mean is that this system should have been released in a time frame where it could capitalize on it being a technologically superior piece of hardware. Give it time to grow before PS4 and 720 come out.

Tookay

I don't really think Jimmy is much of a gamer.. but I don't watch his shows so only can base this on segments I've seen.

He's a "gamer" in the sense that probably a majority of people over the age of 25 would consider themselves gamers: follows the big franchises offhandedly, gets a COD/Halo every year, used to play Nintendo back when, now mostly Sony/Microsoft.

He's a good look into how the average person is going to react.

Salsa

clearly

wii and ds were awful

this is a big-ass issue, but in this instance it aint that big a deal. Im actually surprised it didnt happened any more than this and the CNN thing. So that's good

BY2K

Membero Americo

The Wii and the DS are 2 of the most successful Nintendo consoles ever and just because he's having some trouble NOW means he's a horrible CEO?

Really? He cut his own salary in half to cover some looses, for crying out loud.

Row

Banned
So you assume Iwata sits in a room on his own and makes all of these decisions without any input from anyone in the company?

(We also know nothing of their online infrastructure yet...)

Nintendo seems to have an incredibly hierarchical company structure, much like most other japanese companies. I doubt Iwata pays much attention to the views of those lower down the chain given his recent decisions and interviews

royalan

As has been said, he's also responsible for the Wii brand taking a nosedive from record-breaking profits to record-breaking lows. He's also responsible for the 3DS needing an 80 dollar price cut less than a year after launch and a dramatic retooling of its software roadmap to turn sales around.

This man's done a bang-up job completely masking what were once positives about his tenure as CEO. Couple that with this frankly flabbergasting series of obvious PR disasters and I too think it's time for a restructuring.

jokkir

The stock price is 25% lower now than when he took over and they just had their first ever fiscal year loss.

The last people in the world who are on Iwata's side at the moment are the shareholders, considering how low the stock price is in relation to cash on hand.

Wasn't a lot of the loss because of the tsunami in Japan and the falling global markets?

Endo Punk

Are people just being stupid now by calling WiiU an add on? Everything should be clear as day. PS1,2,3 and X360 never had this problem so why is it hard to grasp the idea that WiiU is a new system? Goddamn masses ¬_¬

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom