• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon calls the Wii U "a Wii add-on".

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.O.O.M

I have my friend, bestest of friends, my buddy, reggie fil aims here, and he will show us the new wiiu console, which is an add on, that you can throw stars like this, it's amazing, it's a console, it's an add on, I think, wait, what,

F*%$()# it

here's Adam Sandler!

Can't blame anyone but Nintendo for this. The system has yet to demonstrate why casual gamers should pay attention. The Wii had such a great roll out, from appearing on Oprah to daytime news shows. Right now it just seems like the WiiU is some weird update with a big ass, expensive controller.

Ultimately the market Nintendo is aiming for again moved to Apple more than a year ago.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
that wasn't pretty to watch. Good grief.

I like how a group of people watched that and didn't see anything of significance, while others made a thread on Neogaf the second it happened.

Reggie probably crapped his pants backstage.

tsumineko

It really doesn't help that both the consoles look practically the same as well...

If I were a casual looking at the stacks of Wii consoles, and the stacks of Wii U consoles in the store, I might think that the Wii U stack was just the original Wii with the tablet controller included in the box.

Whatever the case, Ubisoft must be thrilled.

iTCNv.jpg

I can see this scenario occuring to mom's accross the nation in early December:

"My kid wants some U tablet for his Wii...hmmm, I guess it must be this thingy here by Ubisoft."

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Even beyond the name it doesn't help that Nintendo hasn't really focused on showing off the box itself. They just show the games and tablet with some interface stuff that could be looked at as just different software/update.

Being so nonchalant about the box itself and new hardware inside does them no favors either besides the naming fiasco.

Brand confusion, thy name is Wii U.
Are people just being stupid now by calling WiiU an add on? Everything should be clear as day. PS1,2,3 and X360 never had this problem so why is it hard to grasp the idea that WiiU is a new system? Goddamn masses ¬_¬
A "U" is not a typical progression in a sequence.
As mentioned above, they've used the same branding for accessories before.

Also, to people saying they couldn't just call it the Wii 2, because people wouldn't think it was a generation behind... that didn't stop the Samsung's Galaxy S series following the iPhone.

Hiltz

Yeah, Fallon's initial description of the console was confusing, but Reggie did a pretty good job clariyfing what it was. Too bad they didn't demo New SMB U. It would have been more impressive to watch the game get streamed to the controller.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If Nintendo still has to correct people after E3 that the Wii U is not an add-on but a new console, there is a problem. It is very real, and it's a big one.

Rename the goddamn thing, Nintendo. You still have time.
No they don't. Likely got a bunch of trademarks and marketing stuff up and running. They are NOT abandoning the name. Wishful thinking! Same thing said for Wii and the name never changed. This isn't a code name it IS the name!

Rootbeer

Banned
I fucking knew this would happen. As if the name botch on the 3DS wasn't already bad, they had to go and do it again.

Can't wait to see the video

Neo C.

Nintendo really should show the console itself. It's actually looks nice, why do they treat it like it's nonexistant?

Hiltz

Nintendo really should show the console itself. It's actually looks nice, why do they treat it like it's nonexistant?

Funny you said that.

Iwata's exact words: “The console is not drastically different, and Wii U is about the controller. The console itself will be almost invisible."

as if the gameboy advance, super nintendo, xbox 360, etc, sold like shit

has nothing to do with the name

It's everything about the way they've rolled out the system. The name is similar, the logo is similar, the console looks alot like a wii, they show people using wii motes and wii balance boards in the marketing, it uses the same Mii's, etc

How are casual audiences NOT supposed to get confused about it?

They did show it in this show, when they first showed the new hardware they showed the console next to the controller, held the camera for a while, and highlighted the fact that it was a new console with a new controller.

Mistle

Apart from the small blunder the actual segment went extremely well. Crowd seemed to love it and showed off the concept well. And great that they showed ZombiU!

Only thing I think they should have also done is show Mario, and also how you can play TV-less.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Apart from the small blunder the actual segment went extremely well. Crowd seemed to love it and showed off the controller well. And great that they showed ZombiU!

You mean the people that get paid to cheer on command? Their reaction is hardly indicative of anything really.

Striek

Whatever impact the name caused the 3DS is unquantifiable but I'm positive it is vastly overstated.

The 3DS had/has far more pressing issues (such as pricing and game availability) to explain its performance than "people didn't know it was a new system". Occam's razor.

Wii U will live/die by its games, pricing, and how well people respond to the controller. Marketing will do its job to let people know its out there.

Mzo

The WiiU console is like fucking bigfoot. You can catch glimpses of it in blurry still shots between the limbs of happy, well-dressed families flailing around.

The actual clip isn't nearly as bad as the shitstorm in this thread would lead me to believe. But I guess people will interpret that clip however they already see the system (me included).

So let's say someone thinks it is an add-on to the Wii they already own (and may or may not play regularly). They see the GamePad and what it can do (assuming some marketing showing some of its functions) and it rekindles their interest in the Wii (or because of their use of iDevices) so they go to the store to pick it up. They see a price tag of $250-299 (half the price of an iPad but pretty expensive for what they think is an add-on). At this point they can either 1) become disinterested because of price, 2) realize it is an all new console and still remain interested, or 3) still think it is an add-on for the Wii that allows them to do new things (like Kinect, which I am sure a lot of people didn't realize you needed a 360 for). Nintendo must be banking on the percentage of 2/3 is larger than 1 (and those that never reach these steps).

Sure, Nintendo may not be Apple and can just name the new iPad the 'iPad' and totally get away with it but the Wii brand is well-known by the population at large that keeping the Wii in the name is not a bad idea. It is going to be completely about marketing, not what Jimmy Fallon says to less than a million people 5 months before release.

And Super Wii would cause/not cause the same issues.

Nibel

The console looks terrible because it looks like a Goofy Wii - and this is even intended.

Why spend money on a good design for a box that is just the companion of a capable controller?

The Gamepad is everything you need. You'll get a small dockstation for it so that you can just grab it and play without doing anything with the console box itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom