• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon calls the Wii U "a Wii add-on".

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaelic

Banned
Gaf, wake up PLEASE :( This looks like garbage. Reggie is a complete buffoon and I have no idea why so many trust this guy.

Really, your big selling point is nintendoland? WOW... FAIL...

Triton55

Jimmy ate that shit up based on the demonstration, I think calling it an add-on was just a slip-up or in any case inconsequential if you saw the whole episode.

Bgamer90

Banned
It is going to be completely about marketing, not what Jimmy Fallon says to less than a million people 5 months before release.

Heh, of course. You honestly thought that I was trying to say that what happened was going to make millions go away from purchasing the Wii U?

Also in terms of overreacting, I was just stating what happened. I was actually interested in seeing how the demo would be on the show (and not just watching it to try to take notes on ways to bash it).

It's funny too since the video was actually worse than what I remembered. All I remembered was Fallon saying "you can add it to your wii". Don't remember him getting completely mixed up trying to describe it even further right after he said it.

I was embarrassed for them at the thread title, but the clip really isn't that bad. Fallon calls it the all new system, says it's awesome and futuristic, then stumbles over whether the tablet is its own thing or you can use it with the Wii. He just comes off as an enthusiastic casual who has no idea what he's talking about but he likes it. That could've been much, much worse.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Ha! I seriously thought it was Ubisoft that made those, hence U in Udraw. :)

:p

Well I know it was THQ becuase they had an actual small hit with UDraw on Wii and got all cocky from it, so the next year they released it on both the 360 and PS3. Then started the downfall of THQ....

masud

Banned
80% of the people that will buy the Wii u dont even know it exists right now. Nintendo hasn't really started marketing it. A quickly corrected CNN article and a quicly corrected statement by Fallon do not indicate a problem.

Agreed though I still found it to be pretty bad.

I think tone is important. If he came out to open the show and declared: "Now introducing the Wii U - the new add-on for the Wii!", that'd be awful. But that's not what happened.

Fallon just started blathering about how cool it was and clearly didn't know what he was talking about. Not even a Wii Fit Oprah mom could think Fallon was an authority on the console when watching that clip.

Bgamer90

Banned
80% of the people that will buy the Wii u dont even know it exists right now. Nintendo hasn't really started marketing it. A quickly corrected CNN article and a quicly corrected statement by Fallon do not indicate a problem.

It's not just them. Many local news stations have done the same, and there are still people (some on Twitter) confused.

I think that it should be treated as a possible problem in determining how to advertise the system. They really set themselves up for some people to get easily confused.

Neo C.

The console looks terrible because it looks like a Goofy Wii - and this is even intended.

Why spend money on a good design for a box that is just the companion of a capable controller?
Because we wouldn't have this confusion if they had given more attention to it. I love how the Nintendo spends so much time and passion for every detail, but still makes obvious mistakes.

Cartman86

Banned
Just like the Nintendo 64 and other Nintendo named products they need to just show the new box and point out that its a new device. Use phrases like next Nintendo console, next generation etc. Hell if you just show a new box and it's obvious enough that its new people will understand. Is the problem here that people will get angry when its more expensive then they thought? Or will they decide not to buy it because it's simply an accessory? Either way when they go to the store or look it up online they will see the price. If anything is going to sell people on this it will be the controller. They live and die on that thing. Someone who sees a Kinect ad isn't angry when they have to buy an Xbox console as well. They just want the thing they saw in the ad.

RagnarokX

Because we wouldn't have this confusion if they had given more attention to it. I love how the Nintendo spends so much time and passion for every detail, but still makes obvious mistakes.

I dunno, maybe they just thought people were smart enough to understand that a new controller wouldn't enable Wii to play HD games?

Somnid

Does it actually matter if they pay the $250+ for it?

This is my thought. So let's pretend that this is a major problem, many people walk into the store to buy this imagined Wii add-on and they're left with the choice of buying the console or not. At worst it got them in the store thinking about it.

Wow that segment on the Wii-U was terrible. Nintendoland looked worse than I expected, graphically and from a gameplay standpoint. That ninja game....
Fallon sounded like he was faking his enthusiasm the whole time.

Instro

Wow that segment on the Wii-U was terrible. Nintendoland looked worse than I expected, graphically and from a gameplay standpoint. That ninja game....

Although, this how he normally sounds as well.

Kokonoe

Banned
I was surprised as well when someone who watched Wii U Nintendo Direct thought it was just an add-on as well. It doesn't even make sense how, but it happened.

RagnarokX

Nintendo U

Really wasn't a hard choice, Nintendo.
They aren't going to drop the Wii name or use the Nintendo name. "Wii" name lets casuals know this is the next thing to buy, and Nintendo abandoned their name because of the social stigma associated with it. When Wii came out they specifically instructed people not to call it Nintendo Wii.

Conor 419

Banned
They aren't going to drop the Wii name or use the Nintendo name. "Wii" name lets casuals know this is the next thing to buy, and Nintendo abandoned their name because of the social stigma associated with it. When Wii came out they specifically instructed people not to call it Nintendo Wii.

What?

What?

Linkhero1

What?

What?

Similar to Playstation and Xbox. Nobody calls Sony consoles Sony Playstation, Sony Playstation 2, or Sony Playstation 3. Nintendo wanted to do the same with the Wii and it seems as if they have succeeded to an extent. The problem is instead of using a number after the "Wii", they're confusing people by using a letter. Numbers are usually clear indication of the next iteration of something.

Maybe they didn't think it would look good to have a Wii 2 system competing against a PS 4, sort of like how I read MS didn't want to call X360 Xbox 2 since it was going up against a system called PS 3.

RagnarokX

Similar to Playstation and Xbox. Nobody calls Sony consoles Sony Playstation, Sony Playstation 2, or Sony Playstation 3. Nintendo wanted to do the same with the Wii and it seems as if they have succeeded to an extent. The problem is instead of using a number after the "Wii", they're confusing people by using a letter. Numbers are usually clear indication of the next iteration of something.

It's not really that. They wanted to get rid of the stigma associated with videogame systems in general. They wanted to build Wii as its own brand on its own merit. I guess Apple and iPod would be a good analogy.

That was one of the shittiest infomercials I have ever seen.
I catch better stuff when surfing at 3:30 in the morning.

and

"It's Nintendo, it does everything".

WHAT? When the fuck has a Nintendo product done ANYTHING accept play video games as part of its main function?

This was just an extension of the E3 sadness.

Linkhero1

Just saw the segment on Fallon now and the crowd reaction seemed positive. They need to keep this sort of thing up.

It's not really that. They wanted to get rid of the stigma associated with videogame systems in general. They wanted to build Wii as its own brand on its own merit. I guess Apple and iPod would be a good analogy.

Well this was sort of my point too. I guess I didn't really state it in my other post :p

Yeah, Nintendoland looks shockingly bad. Much worse than I expected too.

lol GAF meltdowns !! doom & gloom the shit out of a system before it even launchs ??

I think the video showed clearly its a new system, but they could have used Batman:AC instead of NintendoLand crap

Welcome back to 2006 GAF.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but there's a huge difference between a genuine revolutionary interface unlike anything most people have ever used before and a weird controller in a market that's already flooded with tablets and touchscreen devices. I very much doubt that Wii U will ignite the wider public's imagination in the same way the Wii (or even Kinect) did, but hey, maybe I'm wrong this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom