• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon calls the Wii U "a Wii add-on".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danis

Neo Member
Apart from the small blunder the actual segment went extremely well. Crowd seemed to love it and showed off the concept well. And great that they showed ZombiU!

You cannot trust crowd noises on Fallon. I've gone to two separate tapings of the show. Both times, we in the crowd were incredibly loud/laughing at one thing or another. The louder one from my experience was Fallon reading one of his "Letters Home" in his "Letter reading voice". We were freaking dying, and fallon was laughing through all his words. However, in the televised version, canned laughter was used because I guess it was more controllable by the director. Apparently this is common. I don't see why they would not do the same thing for a lack of applause/laughter as well.

So, long story short, never trust crowd noises.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
People are going to assume the U tablet is an add-on to the existing system, the same way they thought 3DS was just another iteration of the DS.

It's up to Nintendo to educate consumers, because no one's going to look at NSMBU and think oh man this is running on a whole new system!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This whole thing is stupid.

DS Lite was still selling very well when 3ds came out, Wii is ailing.

When this is on the front of the box, the box costs a hundred dollars+ more, and ads are showing games on TV... there'll be no doubt:

nintendo-wii-u-black.jpg

Nope, because the public dont really memorise what a rectangular console box looks like. The branding makes the tablet the "U" part, while Wii remains unchanged. They overused Wii as a brand initially so that Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, has resulted in anything coming after the word other than a 2 be in the realms of add-on territory.

Should have been the Nintendo U or something.

EDarkness

Nope, because the public dont really memorise what a rectangular console box looks like. The branding makes the tablet the "U" part, while Wii remains unchanged. They overused Wii as a brand initially so that Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, has resulted in anything coming after the word other than a 2 be in the realms of add-on territory.

Should have been the Nintendo U or something.

You gotta give people more credit. The Wii U doesn't look anything like a Wii. Surely anyone looking at that picture wouldn't think that's a Wii.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
He called it the new console within the few seconds, then said it's an add-on to the Wii or it works with the other Wii devices.

Reggie also introduced it as a new console before the demoed it, saying 'you get the complete package here, the Wii U console and the controller."

Mistle

You cannot trust crowd noises on Fallon. I've gone to two separate tapings of the show. Both times, we in the crowd were incredibly loud/laughing at one thing or another. The louder one from my experience was Fallon reading one of his "Letters Home" in his "Letter reading voice". We were freaking dying, and fallon was laughing through all his words. However, in the televised version, canned laughter was used because I guess it was more controllable by the director. Apparently this is common. I don't see why they would not do the same thing for a lack of applause/laughter as well.

So, long story short, never trust crowd noises.
I definitely knew they'd prompt/add laughter when there is a lack of it but I never knew they changed it when people were laughing too much :O

Wasn't he suppose to answer some questions via that twitter trend? I'm guessing that's occurring somewhere else?
last year they did it backstage I believe.

Danis

Neo Member
You gotta give people more credit. The Wii U doesn't look anything like a Wii. Surely anyone looking at that picture wouldn't think that's a Wii.

How in the hell does that "not look anything like the Wii"? Anyone who is not a gamer, or a smart consumer, is going to be confused.

Ever see a mom in Gamestop before? Good lord.

Bumhead

Banned
Brand confusion was a huge problem for the 3DS, but Nintendo seemed to fix that. In the UK, Nintendo started a quite aggressive advertisement campaign that literally said "This is not Nintendo DS. This is Nintendo 3DS" in a commanding, booming voice. They as good as grabbed the common consumer by the scruff of the neck and slapped them with a wet fish, shouting at them in their face until they got it.

Combined with the price drop and decent games, I think it sorted the 3DS out quite nicely. I mean, the system is doing OK now. Not spectacular, but OK. I don't think brand confusion is a huge issue for the 3DS anymore.

If Nintendo even suspects brand confusion will be an issue for the Wii U, I think they'll make sure that's sorted between now and launch. If the system is priced right, has a good and varied launch lineup and Nintendo get their marketing straight, the console will be fine.

PaulLFC

Wasn't this the same problem they had (or may still be having, who knows) with the 3DS, with some people thinking it was just a DS redesign or something?

It's their own fault in the end. They are the ones refusing to talk about the console itself, colored it white, named the system Wii U, and keep focusing on the controller only.

Rename the system. Reshape the console hardware and make sure you only launch it in black. Problem fixed.

Pretty much this.

EDarkness

How in the hell does that "not look anything like the Wii"? Anyone who is not a gamer, or a smart consumer, is going to be confused.

Ever see a mom in Gamestop before? Good lord.

I worked in GameStop a few years ago, I know all about this. However, most people know what's going on. Shop owners will correct people who don't. I don't know about all GameStops, but we did at the place I worked.

watershed

Banned
So I just watched the Wii U segment on Jimmy Fallon, they actually did a really good job. Nintendo was smart to choose Takamura's Castle to show off the controller. Its a simple, fun concept that shows off the gamepad well. The zombie bit was good for laughs.

Once the system is in retailers with demos for the general public and Nintendo make their rounds(as well as finalize release details), there will be much less confusion

LuchaShaq

Banned
I've had multiple people at both my jobs who know I'm into games ask me about "the new wii controller", same for a handful of friends who are semi casual gamers (basically yearly COD +2-3 other games a year).

Honestly if I didn't read gaf/listen to podcasts and only saw some pictures/a few of the demo's I would probably assume the same thing.

Even the way Reggie talked about the Wii U made it sound like a new controller only. Nintendo should have learned after the 3DS disaster, but they clearly haven't. There's still time to change the terrible name. Do it.

Vire

It's Nintendo's own damn fault.

If it was called Wii 2 there would be zero confusion. The system looking almost identical doesn't help either.

Anecdotally, my mom thought it was just a new controller.

This whole thing is stupid.

DS Lite was still selling very well when 3ds came out, Wii is ailing.

When this is on the front of the box, the box costs a hundred dollars+ more, and ads are showing games on TV... there'll be no doubt:

nintendo-wii-u-black.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but the U console looks awfully similar to the Wii console.

I hadn't realized just how alike they look at first glance, guess that explains why some think the controller is an add-on for the Wii.

Probs should have made the design of the U console stand out more against the Wii.

GQman2121

Banned
I think they'll be okay, but they could have done a lot more to focus on the new console. The two boxes look very similar at first glance. It's very easy to see why some people are still confused with the PR images they've released. The box is hidden behind the controller most of the time.

With all this confusion going on during E3 and this bad PR about the system, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the name of the system to something more traditional like Wii 2.

The best thing to do is that Nintendo dosen't sell the game pad as a standalone so even if somebody bought it by mistake, the console will be there.

Jokeropia

Whatever impact the name caused the 3DS is unquantifiable but I'm positive it is vastly overstated.

The 3DS had/has far more pressing issues (such as pricing and game availability) to explain its performance than "people didn't know it was a new system". Occam's razor.

Wii U will live/die by its games, pricing, and how well people respond to the controller. Marketing will do its job to let people know its out there.
I agree with this. It's always about the games and the pricing, other issues are often overblown.

jett

D-Member
What is it with some people defending this obvious branding fuck up

Anyway, since the gamepad comes with the console I doubt this will be much of a problem after the sale is made. The problem will be people thinking it's an add-on to their existing dust-gathering Wii and shrugging their shoulders in response.

It's all weird, because you can still use your wii remote and nunchuck also.

Not sure how they can advertise that fact or show people using the same controllers as they did with the Wii without causing confusion.

Fox318

Nintendo isn't gonna be able to get this system on the morning news shows or Ellen.

People who like gaming will look at the Wii U with the memory of how poor the selection of games were on the Wii U and how weak the system is.

And people who don't game and have a Wii will look at the Wii U and say they already have a Wii Sports machine.

KillGore

Maybe it's just me, but the U console looks awfully similar to the Wii console.

I hadn't realized just how alike they look at first glance, guess that explains why some think the controller is an add-on for the Wii.

Probs should have made the design of the U console stand out more against the Wii.

It's not just you. The Wii U console looks almost exactly the same as the Wii console, it just looks like it has been eaten too many Big Macs since it's a bit fatter/rounder. They could have at least tried to change the console, the NES console looks nothing like the SNES console.

I'm not sure if the casual consumer will notice the difference between the Wii U and Wii console.

Agreed.

And LOL at people still wanting to change the Wii U name. Not gonna happen at less than 6 months before release.

Just because we want Nintendo to change the name doesn't mean we're stupid. We know they won't change the name, obviously. Heck, I still want Nintendo to change the Wii's name back to Revolution, doesn't mean I believe they will :p

boyshine

Even the way Reggie talked about the Wii U made it sound like a new controller only. Nintendo should have learned after the 3DS disaster, but they clearly haven't. There's still time to change the terrible name. Do it.

The GamePad is the point. Most people will go to the store asking for a Wii U and whatever game they're after, fully aware of the price. Is it just a controller or a console as well? It doesn't matter, everything you need is included. Not focusing on the console itself is actually quite smart in my opinion. Now it's all about a unique new controller and new games, and that is the "emotional connection" it needs. Controllers have always been a piece of dead plastic you need to control your games, but the GamePad becomes the main attraction, the soul and personality of the system.

KillGore

The GamePad is the point. Most people will go to the store asking for a Wii U and whatever game they're after, fully aware of the price. Is it just a controller or a console as well? It doesn't matter, everything you need is included. Not focusing on the console itself is actually quite smart in my opinion. Now it's all about a unique new controller and new games, and that is the "emotional connection" it needs. Controllers have always been a piece of dead plastic you need to control your games, but the GamePad becomes the main attraction, the soul and personality of the system.

Reggie?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The biggest problem with Nintendo's promotion of Wii U lays in their utterly dogged, single-minded devotion to never talking about technology.

They absolutely refuse to ever say anything about the hardware in abstract terms, and focus purely on the core experience that they're pushing with a particular platform. They refuse to give the slightest indication they're concerned about competing with anyone else in areas as 'base' as graphic quality.

The thing is, you can see where they're coming from. Generally speaking, they have the right idea. But even Apple, which focuses almost entirely on lifestyle branding and promotion, does actually make it clear that new iterations of an iPhone or iPad feature significantly more powerful hardware. They do put as a major bullet point that the new device isn't just a variant or remix. It has a new processor, new graphic capabilities, new screen, etc.

I don't even think Wii U is a bad name and when considering it as representing "Wii Universe" it makes a lot of sense. What with the social features and such that Wii U is built around. The right marketing can help any branding, rather than hurt it. What has hurt Wii U so far is Nintendo's presentation and pitch style, more than the name.

Same situation with 3DS. It wasn't just the name. They refused to talk about technology. They refused to even say it was the successor to the DS. They refused to say it was the 'next generation of processing and visual capabilities in a Nintendo handheld". All they talked about, at first, was the Glasses Free 3D Screen (tm) And that's it. Just that over and over, making it sound as if it was indeed just a DS variant with a 3D screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom