• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

EmiPrime

Incensing critics, Google engineer ends push for crypto-only setting in Allo

Updated personal blog post deletes comments that were cited by Google critics.

A co-leader on Google's product security team has waved a piece of red meat in front of already frothing privacy advocates by deleting part of a blog post saying he wished the Allo messenger app the company announced Wednesday would provide end-to-end encryption by default.

To critics, the deletion by Thai Duong amounted to tacit admission that his employer was willfully choosing to leave messages sent by the vast number of Allo users open to government surveillance. The critics have argued that because end-to-end encryption will be turned off by default and turned on only in an incognito mode, most users will never avail themselves of the protection.

Jigolo

Best Parts of the review:

The phone also has a fairly unique feature, a built-in answering machine. Yep, it picks up an incoming call, plays your greeting and would later replay your friends' messages. You can set up your greeting and pickup conditions.

AND

While we would have appreciated the Snapdragon 652 (it has two extra A72 cores), the 650 offers satisfactory performance for a premium midranger.

Bear in mind this device is priced like a flagship and FOH with a 28 nm chipset. * expreses scust at 28 nm chipset*

I want the X Performance not the X itself. If the XP comes to the states then it needs USB C.
Impressive. Went straight to the battery life section when that gaffer posted the review. Found it to be impressive and didn't even know this phone was on a 28nm chip. Wow.

Sony's battery management is truly god tier

Didn't see any mentions looking back, but Project Ara looks to be coming along nicely. They'll be releasing developer versions later this year and the consumer version is supposed to launch in 2017. It sounds like they changed some parts on how the modular system will work. Things like the RAM, CPU, and Storage are going to be part of the base frame and instead the modular parts will let you change out things like add speakers, cameras, different material backings, etc.
https://youtu.be/aWW5mQadZAY
lol wtf this sounds totally pointless.

for canadians out there who love sony, I know that the xperia x performance is coming to carriers in a month or two.

Furyous

The Xperia X is such a shitshow.

I just want a Z5C with an 820 and competent camera software Sony. Seriously, how is this so hard?

.. AND a modern smartphone resolution like 1080p as well as an IR blaster in a premium model. I need the device to be daydream ready for future proofing. Don't sleep on the X Performance. Remember bigger screen sizes mean better dual window support and a five inch device is the sweat spot for people with small hands.

Wow, fuck Google, seriously. As bad as it sounds and as much as I dislike Apple, at least they're not government bootlickers like Google secretly is.

Do you think google can offer the same chat services in Allo while staying in encrypted? Its very possible that it IS impossible to have the best of both at the same time. At least you have choice now.

On another note. Does anyone know when the standalone phone stuff for android auto is dropping? I miss the driving mode from the moto phones...

Noema

Doesn't WhatsApp drain battery hardcore? I guess I could Greenify it though.

Not at all. Trust me, I'm as OCD about battery as one can be.

It's rarely over 2%. And I get 6h SoT on 6.0.1.

Only annoying part is that the phone gets disconnected from Whatsapp Web when it dozes after a while.

vwnut13

Meanwhile in Vanilla land...

Apparently Google Opinion Rewards really likes me...

O9eCpF9.png

No Love

Banned
Not at all. Trust me, I'm as OCD about battery as one can be.

It's rarely over 2%. And I get 6h SoT on 6.0.1.

Only annoying part is that the phone gets disconnected from Whatsapp Web when it dozes after a while.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out again.

brawly

Anyone here got experience with the S5 mini?

Basically my Samsung Galaxy S+ threw in the towel yesterday after over five years of service. I'm devestated. I want another Samsung, but a cheap one.

Hope it's alright to post this here...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Basically my Samsung Galaxy S+ threw in the towel yesterday after over five years of service. I'm devestated. I want another Samsung, but a cheap one.

How cheap is cheap for you and what carrier/where do you live?

Noema

I haven't had a single survey in like 6 weeks. Which sucks because I use that dough to fund my Tinder plus.

Fatalah

Does Amazon offer a new phone upgrade plan, like the carriers? (The thing where you pay monthly towards the price of your device, but get a new phone once a year)

Congratulations on you guys getting paid less than minimum wage for your time to give google all your info, choices in life, and a deep psychological understanding of you.

vwnut13

Congratulations on you guys getting paid less than minimum wage for your time to give google all your info, choices in life, and a deep psychological understanding of you.

I don't know, I got $6.91 for roughly 9 minutes of my time yesterday.

Now Google knows that I haven't gone skydiving, to an opera, or subscribed to a specific parenting magazine within the last 6 months.

Asgaro

I assume you are aiming for a smaller Samsung device that can last a while?
The S5 Mini is already a bit outdated and I don't think there will be any more OS upgrades... I read the S5 Mini still doesn't have Android Lollipop here in Europe.

You could consider the Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016 edition): http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a3_(2016)-7791.php
Seems to have come out December 2015, screen under 5 inches, and has Android Lollipop out of the box.

Comparison between the two: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7791&idPhone2=6252

Now, I'm not an expert, so if someone else here could say whether the Galaxy A3 (2016) is any good...

For me it always went in spurts. I'd get nothing for a long time then multiple surveys a day for a while and then repeat.
Same here. About a month ago I stopped getting them (only got one recently), but before that I had a solid month or two of getting at least one survey a day.

wilflare

Is there any app or shortcut to save all open tabs to a textfile (or Evernote?) trying to save and close each open tab takes forever...

Asgaro

Is there any app or shortcut to save all open tabs to a textfile (or Evernote?) trying to save and close each open tab takes forever...

Doesn't Chrome Sync allow one to sync their open tabs? I've never tried this, but I think they should then appear on Chrome on your desktop.

Quasar

About all it knows about me is that I shop at the same supermarket all the time. Which it could get from looking at my google maps location history anyway.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Man, N could be the actual release. It's awesome.

yyzjohn

Banned
Same here with the surveys. I've gotten 14 in the last 3 days totaling $5.21. Even some times I'll open the app and theres a survey or 2 waiting. It's kind of nuts lately but I'm not complaining.

Noema

I think that my favorite thing about the N preview is the ability to change DPI on the fly. That's so beautiful. I set it to the smallest setting on my N6. So much information density. Feels like a mini tablet.

I also like the new notifications. They are sleeker, include more information per inch and inline responses is so cool.

I also didn't expect multiwindow to work so smoothly. It's like buttah.

Unfortunately I've had like 5 hard reboots since I flashed on Wednesday. In my 6 months with my phone it had never hard rebooted once. Also, I need my custom kernel. So I'll be rolling back to 6.0.1 today. But N seems very promising .

Top Bottom