• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

shingi70

Banned
My vote is an HTC 10 with a Pixel C :)
However, you can grab Nexus devices from Google store and they will work with Tmobile fine. It is best to wait for the new Nexus at this point though.

Pixel C doesn't seem worth the expense when I'm getting the iPad for $279 thanks to some discounts.

Phone wise I'm not sure, I've wanted to try iOS for awhile but all the services I use work well on both systems.

Jigolo

Meanwhile in Vanilla land...
I was getting way more late last year and earlier this year. Not so much now but that's alright. I bought a few games with the money and rented about 4 movies. Now I just set it to pay for my Google Play music shit. 8.69 left so one month payed for.

Asgaro

Is this the fastest way to multitask between your most used apps?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phinxapps.pintasking
http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-pintasking-t3071747
Sadly it isn't in active development anymore, but it works flawlessly on Marshmallow.

UY7omGk.gif

S7 is cheaper than X? Wtf is Sony thinking??

Sounds like some corporate espionage, plant a CEO to destabilise Sony mobile from within and purchase the whole division for cheaps. :/

1080p
small battery
average camera
no water resistance
mid-range cpu

Yea sounds like it's worth the price.

Famassu

I'm looking for

Best collection cataloguing app with a barcode database that has even a lot of obscure, not-just-mainstream US/UK shit. Movies, books, games, music, manga etc.

A sportstracker app that always tells how much kcal you have spent at the end of the exercise session by showing approximately how many fruit or other stuff it is if eaten. I've had it once, I want it again.

Jzero

I wouldn't upgrade to the N preview yet if you use SnapChat religiously. The app crashes and you may not get to read/view your snaps

Didn't see any mentions looking back, but Project Ara looks to be coming along nicely. They'll be releasing developer versions later this year and the consumer version is supposed to launch in 2017. It sounds like they changed some parts on how the modular system will work. Things like the RAM, CPU, and Storage are going to be part of the base frame and instead the modular parts will let you change out things like add speakers, cameras, different material backings, etc.
https://youtu.be/aWW5mQadZAY

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ara still sounds dumb. It's catering to an extremely niche crowd. I wonder if there's a bigger goal to Ara because on its own, it is just dumb.

Noema

I think I found a bug in Android N DP3: I can consistently get the phone to hard reboot by setting a wifi network from DHCP to static and then changing the IP adress.

Can anyone running the preview give it a shot so I can be sure it's not just me?

Quasar

Been playing around with the Google Science Journal.

So very cool. Wish my phone had more sensors and the app supported more.

Makes me think I have a tricorder.

lol what's the point then? most of the people change phones because of the new SoC
What they said was that they found most people don't care about things like RAM, or CPU/GPU and they just want a phone that works well without having to be worried about their games or other apps not being compatible or running well. Realistically speaking, they are right on that front because most consumers don't even know how much RAM their device has and they probably don't put much attention into thinking about the SOC when Apple comes out every year saying "This one is better than that one".

Fracas

#fuckonami
Oh, missed the new thread.

I've been through two Nexus 5xs this week and both have that nasty yellow tint. One of them is better at least. Might just deal with it instead of yet another RMA. That quality control is rough.

In the meantime, any fixes I can do? Already enabled cooler colors through dev mode.

Furyous

Sony Xperia X review

edit: camera still average. sigh

Best Parts of the review:

The phone also has a fairly unique feature, a built-in answering machine. Yep, it picks up an incoming call, plays your greeting and would later replay your friends' messages. You can set up your greeting and pickup conditions.

AND

While we would have appreciated the Snapdragon 652 (it has two extra A72 cores), the 650 offers satisfactory performance for a premium midranger.

Bear in mind this device is priced like a flagship and FOH with a 28 nm chipset. * expreses scust at 28 nm chipset*

I want the X Performance not the X itself. If the XP comes to the states then it needs USB C.

Can't help but feel that the Xperia X is Sony's attempt at making a handset which will bomb so hard they have a reason to pull out the smartphone sector.

If an SD650 powered phone costs more than the S7, what the hell are they gonna charge for the X Performance? :s

Allo not having end to end decryption in the standard chat isn't really an issue. If you want all the extra stuff it can't be E2E encrypted. If you do want it, you can use "incognito mode". I'm interested to see if it will merge texts and back them up to the cloud. If it does that I'll probably ditch hangouts. If it doesn't, then I have little reason to stop using WhatsApp

Toki767

So I'm guessing Allo can't even communicate with Hangouts users right?

Unless the thing is built into Gmail/Inbox on the browser, this thing will never take off.

Groof

going back to a smaller phone made me realise how much i appreciate a bigger device. give me all the screen

Asgaro

going back to a smaller phone made me realise how much i appreciate a bigger device. give me all the screen

But isn't the DPI still shit on larger devices? What I mean is: the information density won't change when going to a larger screen, right?
Details with screenshots: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/43kh3z/dpi_comparison_of_different_phones/

I have 4.7" and the only real benefits of having a larger screen I can think of is:
- to have a larger navigation window while driving.
- to play games without your thumbs taking up too much screen estate.

I have no problem with icons, text, etc. being small so I can have lots of information on a smaller screen. I think it looks actually neat.
I have a 720p 4.7" and I have the impression my screen looks sharper than a 1080p 5" because on the latter, things look big... like for people with bad eye sight :/

Only when I'm too drunk I can see myself getting frustrated to click on tiny content but so far, I haven't experienced problems yet.

Groof

But isn't the DPI still shit on larger devices? What I mean is: the information density won't change when going to a larger screen, right?
Details with screenshots: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/43kh3z/dpi_comparison_of_different_phones/

I have 4.7" and the only real benefits of having a larger screen I can think of is:
- to have a larger navigation window while driving.
- to play games without your thumbs taking up too much screen estate.

I have no problem with icons, text, etc. being small so I can have lots of information on a smaller screen. I think it looks actually neat.
I have a 720p 4.7" and I have the impression my screen looks sharper than a 1080p 5" because on the latter, things look big... like for people with bad eye sight :/

Only when I'm too drunk I can see myself getting frustrated to click on tiny content but so far, I haven't experienced problems yet.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...ge-your-devices-display-dpi-with-screen-zoom/

Mindwipe

The Xperia X is such a shitshow.

I just want a Z5C with an 820 and competent camera software Sony. Seriously, how is this so hard?

Top Bottom