• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
So wait, the app says something like "You can get one free pass a day if you don't already have one". Does that mean you can ONLY get a free pass if you don't have one? Or just "in the event you don't have one, don't forget you can always get a free pass every day"? Because I wasn't necessarily going to do a Raid every day, so it would be nice to hoard the free ones for days I wanna go all out.

can only have one i dont think they stack they really want you to buy the premium passes

Caught two Tyranitars with my two free passes. Yay! Both really strong. Boo!

you had two passes?

GulAtiCa

So wait, the app says something like "You can get one free pass a day if you don't already have one". Does that mean you can ONLY get a free pass if you don't have one? Or just "in the event you don't have one, don't forget you can always get a free pass every day"? Because I wasn't necessarily going to do a Raid every day, so it would be nice to hoard the free ones for days I wanna go all out.

You only get 1 a day as long as you don't have 1. So limit of 1 max ever. So no hoarding.

However, if you use your free pass that you got from previous day (but obviously haven't got one yet that day) on a raid. you will then get a new free pass the next time you swipe a gym, even if you swiped beforehand.

Also, someone playing with us earlier today learned something interesting. The game actually takes into account that you might have no open pokemon slots. So actually allows you to remove 1. I wasn't watching his screen, but looks like you can click on the raid gym again and will give you a chance to try again.

I also think they should prob make 1 star bosses free entries. Esp since you get less items and are easy. Would be good for the casual players and make the 2 - 4 (and eventual 5) more meaningful.

GulAtiCa

If you lose, what happens? Do you lose the pass and need a new one?

Yes. But you have unlimited retries on that raid boss for the time it's still there (raid bosses stick around an hour). So don't worry too much if you lose. Sometimes better to regroup and perhaps wait for more people. I believe we tried Tyranitar 3 or 4 times before we had enough people.

Yes. But you have unlimited retries on that raid boss for the time it's still there (raid bosses stick around an hour). So don't worry too much if you lose. Sometimes better to regroup and perhaps wait for more people. I believe we tried Tyranitar 3 or 4 times before we had enough people.
Gotcha. Sounds good then.

border

I spent about 4 hours this afternoon raiding. I don't think this will have much longevity.

The only people who showed up to assist me were spoofers. Nobody is showing up to the raids, so doing anything Level 3 or above by yourself is basically impossible. At Level 3 the raid boss has so much HP that it doesn't matter if you get a really good type matchup -- you will simply not have the DPS to beat it before time expires.

There's so many raids running simultaneously now that I presume the people playing are just split between a dozen different locations.

The rewards for Level 1 and 2 raids are kinda junk. I don't mind that at the moment since I'm just playing with free money, but once I'm out of coins I don't think I will have much interest in paying $1/pop for rewards like Revives and a couple Rare Candies. I feel like I already have more Golden Raspberries that I will ever need to use. I think Raids will be fun if you're willing to organize a group of 3-5 good players to take on the bigger challenges every now and again......but don't expect strangers to show up and be of much assistance.

Raids would have been a crazy feature to have last summer when literally everyone in the world was playing......unfortunately it seems like they've been designed with the assumption that the game is as active as it was 11 months ago.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I spent about 4 hours this afternoon raiding. I don't think this will have much longevity.

The only people who showed up to assist me were spoofers. Nobody is showing up to the raids, so doing anything Level 3 or above by yourself is basically impossible. At Level 3 the raid boss has so much HP that it doesn't matter if you get a really good type matchup -- you will simply not have the DPS to beat it before time expires.

There's so many raids running simultaneously now that I presume the people playing are just split between a dozen different locations.

The rewards for Level 1 and 2 raids are kinda junk. I don't mind that at the moment since I'm just playing with free money, but once I'm out of coins I don't think I will have much interest in paying $1/pop for rewards like Revives and a couple Rare Candies. I think Raids will be fun if you're willing to organize a group of 3-5 good players to take on the bigger challenges every now and again......but don't expect strangers to show up and be of much assistance.

Raids would have been a crazy feature to have last summer when literally everyone in the world was playing......unfortunately it seems like they've been designed with the assumption that the game is as active as it was 11 months ago.

yup this was my nightmare i already saw this coming the raids happen very frequently and are super spread out and the player base around here is thin
hope they go the ingress route and turn the raid passes into portals and have online match making

Tried my first tier 4 raid earlier and it was rough. At first it was just me and this other guy. We got crushed. Then somebody else joined and it was a bit better, but we still could not beat the boss. After our third try, the guy left. Then two more people showed up and we had a total of 4. We kept getting so close to beating the boss but time kept running out on us. It sucked. If only that guy didn't bail so quickly we would have had it for sure. I played until my phone died and then had to head home empty handed. I don't see raids lasting long like this. It would be nice to know how many people are there for a raid before burning my pass. There are a lot of apartments here and people could easily be playing out of sight.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Tried my first tier 4 raid earlier and it was rough. At first it was just me and this other guy. We got crushed. Then somebody else joined and it was a bit better, but we still could not beat the boss. After our third try, the guy left. Then two more people showed up and we had a total of 4. We kept getting so close to beating the boss but time kept running out on us. It sucked. If only that guy didn't bail so quickly we would have had it for sure. I played until my phone died and then had to head home empty handed. I don't see raids lasting long like this. It would be nice to know how many people are there for a raid before burning my pass. There are a lot of apartments here and people could easily be playing out of sight.

yeah you should be able to put a marker down on your location to let people know you are there although i can see why they wouldnt want to do something like that with people leaving markers down to lay traps on people and lure them into dangerous areas

zulux21

I don't think the point of raids is to be able to beat it by yourself :/

elguero

There are so many raids active in my neighborhood I haven't been able to get in a good gym battle all day. This actually kind of sucks.

GulAtiCa

Might really depend on where you are and what the raid boss is. I was with 17 yesterday. And 8 this morning for a Tyranitar. They are out there. Seen them everywhere. Waiting around enough will bring them forth.

border

Might really depend on where you are and what the raid boss is. I was with 17 yesterday. And 8 this morning for a Tyranitar. They are out there. Seen them everywhere. Waiting around enough will bring them forth.

It's like 80-100 degrees out. I don't really want to stand around in this heat for the possibility that someone else might show up......all while the PoGo app eats my battery. I suspect Tyranitar raids will be hotspots, but the level 3 stuff won't really bring out groups.

Firemind

LOL

More than 10 people showed up for T-Tar each time and some of them shouted once they caught it. I live in a 200k town. Our chat group grows each day. It wasn't as rapid as before because you couldn't really meet people at gyms because of conflicting schedules. Now people go to a location at a designated time, beat the raid boss and exchange numbers. It's much more social now.

But sure, the game is dying. Niantic have made terrible design decisions etc etc.

GulAtiCa

0 motivation Pokémon just need to be auto-booted.

I'd rather not for that to happen personally. Though, an option to recall the Pokemon might be a good idea perhaps. Prob should have some kind of limit. Like maybe once a day or so? Maybe even make it completely random. Or something.

border

More than 10 people showed up for T-Tar each time and some of them shouted once they caught it. I live in a 200k town. Our chat group grows each day. It wasn't as rapid as before because you couldn't really meet people at gyms because of conflicting schedules. Now people go to a location at a designated time, beat the raid boss and exchange numbers. It's much more social now.

Most people still need/want a Tyranitar. But what about the other more junk-y raid bosses? What happens once everybody has a handful of Tyranitars and there's no allure left to capturing another? What happens when everyone's burned through their stash of coins and suddenly gets a lot more discriminating about when and why they throw down money on a Raid Pass?

I think raids would have been a great way to introduce people to a new generation since there would be all these new and exotic pokemon that nobody has. Without new pokemon though that enthusiasm will erode quickly......a few weeks from now I'm not sure there will be that many people who want to group up with 4 other people so that they can pay $1 to capture a Bulbasaur. Niantic kinda kneecapped the whole raid system by making it Pay 2 Play.

Firemind

You're not making any sense. Of course not a lot of people are going to show up for Charizard, Venusaur and the lot. Raids are abundant so you can pick your battles with your free pass. When level 5 raids are unlocked with legendaries as rewards it's probably safe to assume people will be interested in obtaining them. They don't have to put all the legendaries in the pool. Just a small number at first. There are 11 legendaries at this point. With more on the way.

You're kind of projecting your own feelings on this matter.

5 Pokemon defending at all the gyms in my town for two days now. It's pretty clear I'm not going to see another coin until they come up with a smarter collection system :(

border

You're not making any sense. Of course not a lot of people are going to show up for Charizard, Venusaur and the lot.

Which is kind of what I mean when I say this will not have a lot longevity -- it's dependent on them having a bunch of new, interesting pokemon to fight for. A slow drip-feed of a few legendaries will not really be enough to sustain flash-groups. The static groups and communities that maintain their own Discord/Facebook groups may continue to coordinate, but the raid system will likely be impenetrable to people not linked in to networks like that.

Firemind

Which is kind of what I mean when I say this will not have a lot longevity -- it's dependent on the having a bunch of new, interesting pokemon to fight for. A slow drip-feed of a few legendaries will not really be enough to sustain flash-groups. The static groups and communities that maintain their own Discord/Facebook groups may continue to coordinate, but the raid system will likely be impenetrable to people not linked in to networks like that.
If it's something desirable people will flock to there and you can socialize. And from smaller raids you can still get desirable items. Not just TMs. I know people in my group will stock up on rare candies and golden razz berries to use for future legendaries.

zulux21

Which is kind of what I mean when I say this will not have a lot longevity -- it's dependent on them having a bunch of new, interesting pokemon to fight for. A slow drip-feed of a few legendaries will not really be enough to sustain flash-groups. The static groups and communities that maintain their own Discord/Facebook groups may continue to coordinate, but the raid system will likely be impenetrable to people not linked in to networks like that.

Wait I am supposed to care what pokemon is in there?
I only care about doing higher level raids so i can get rare candy.
If a strong pokemon or one I don't have is in there all the better. but it's all about that rare candy.

Worst part about this raid system is that I have two gym at the bottom of my local high street, literally 5 minutes walk from my house, and I can't see them on the map so I don't know if there are raids. It's so annoying.

border

Wait I am supposed to care what pokemon is in there?
I only care about doing higher level raids so i can get rare candy.
If a strong pokemon or one I don't have is in there all the better. but it's all about that rare candy.

I think most people only care about having a decent collection of pokemon. Candy is only useful insofar as it allows you to fill out your pokedex through evolution.

Now that there's really no point in powering up your pokemon and the valve for Stardust has been sealed, there's even less demand for candy. I'll probably grind my way to an Ampharos/Donphan through walking and Rare Candy, but beyond that I have no plans to use candy. Like at this point, there's no reason to care whether my Snorlax is 2400 or 2700.....so no point in using dust or candy on him.

border

Really now?

I think you're just salty because you can't collect your daily defender bonuses anymore.

As if anyone wouldn't be dismayed if whatever free boosts they're used to got taken away or severely reduced? Dust used to flow like wine, now it don't.....I don't think that's a nasty or unfair characterization.

Not much to really be salty about now though, since there isn't a point to maintaining a growing stable of high-CP pokemon. It just means that, for better or for worse, there's little purpose to be found in grinding out Dust/Candy. Now that I think about it I'll save up dust for a really good Machamp that has the perfect moveset through TMs. But I'm not going to keep everything at near-max level anymore. Attackers don't need the boosts, and you're better off having gimps as defenders anyway.

zulux21

I think most people only care about having a decent collection of pokemon. Candy is only useful insofar as it allows you to fill out your pokedex through evolution.

well yeah... I still need a ton of candy for evolution.

a ton of rare pokemon have evolution's that take forever to walk such as dratini.

I walked my charmander for 300+Km to get enough candy, and now I have like 300 more KM to walk my dratini for a dragonite ect.

any rare candy will save me a ton of distance as I don't think my life time walking on pokemon is over 1k KM yet.

Ashodin

So basically like all the other features, hardcore people like border are turned off from playing

and I'm totally fine with that.

Firemind

As if anyone wouldn't be dismayed if whatever free boosts they're used to got taken away or severely reduced? Dust used to flow like wine, now it don't.....I don't think that's a nasty or unfair characterization.
Catch more Pokemon. It's simply hyperbole that stardust income has been cut off.

Not much to really be salty about now though, since there isn't a point to maintaining a growing stable of high-CP pokemon. It just means that, for better or for worse, there's little purpose to be found in grinding out Dust/Candy. Now that I think about it I'll save up dust for a really good Machamp that has the perfect moveset through TMs. But I'm not going to keep everything at near-max level anymore. Attackers don't need the boosts, and you're better off having gimps as defenders anyway.
I mean, growing a stable of seven (sometimes less) Pokemon exclusively just to remain competitive isn't my cup of tea.

Like I said, raids are the endgame now. Gyms are just a means to an end. I'm actually thinking about how to tackle the legendaries as efficiently as possible. Golem should be an all-star against the bird trio and T-Tar is indispensable against Mew and Mewtwo. The fact that they changed the numbers to make type advantage more relevant is great. No longer is Dragonite the best general attacker against everything. Diversification is good.

border

So basically like all the other features, hardcore people like border are turned off from playing

and I'm totally fine with that.

The hardcore players are the engine that drives this freight train. You're relying on them to flip gyms so you can get coins.....you're relying on them to show up regularly to raid. They're the ones funding this F2P game. If you kill of that audience, you cripple the game.

That said, I have no idea if my opinions are even remotely representative of that audience. The Reddit seems upbeat, though with lots of constructive criticism.

The main problem is that there isn't just much to do anymore. Taking down gyms has no real benefit. Developing your roster seems unnecessary since gyms are so easy now. Raids are interesting, but they cost real money and require coordinating a group of at least 3-4 teammates most of the time. Not to mention that you have to convince those people to spend real money......and some people at look putting money into an F2P experience as the videogame equivalent of sleeping with a prostitute. Like you shouldn't ever do it and if you do you really ought to be ashamed.

I think the Gyms are a few logical fixes away from being interesting and useful again though. I'm not sure what's to be done with Raids. They'll be an interesting way for people to gain access to really rare finds, but I don't think it's going to be a big daily activity for most people.

If raids are the endgame, the game will die in a few months. The gym system is busted just as much as it was before if not more. Raids are a joke. PvP is nowhere in sight and possibly never will be since spoofers are still laughing at all their new security features. And Niantec isn't even hiding that this update was a massive cash grab.

Until gen 3 comes out, I'm just going to keep collecting my daily bonuses.

Firemind

The hardcore players are the engine that drives this freight train. You're relying on them to flip gyms so you can get coins.....you're relying on them to show up regularly to raid. They're the ones funding this F2P game. If you kill of that audience, you cripple the game.
[citation needed]

GulAtiCa

Next I'm sure someone will complain that there are likely no raid boss battles at 3 am. lol

If raids are the endgame, the game will die in a few months. The gym system is busted just as much as it was before if not more. Raids are a joke. PvP is nowhere in sight and possibly never will be since spoofers are still laughing at all their new security features. And Niantec isn't even hiding that this update was a massive cash grab.

Until gen 3 comes out, I'm just going to keep collecting my daily bonuses.

They were all level 2-3 raids, about 13 people. I did a tier 2 Wheezing solo with a Rhydon, no trouble at all. Kind of a joke.

Lol. Ok then. So Raids are a joke cause you only did a literal tier 2 Raid so far and that it was easy? Lol, no shit. Go try a 4 star raid. Those are tough as nails. Read my earlier posts from this morning.

Also, how will you collect from daily bonuses if they don't exist anymore? You have to actively participate in the gym system to even get coins now. So if you are doing that all summer long, then you will be a very active user. lol

border

Catch more Pokemon. It's simply hyperbole that stardust income has been cut off.

The valve that was spewing dust is closed. There's still a dripping spigot below, but that's not much of a substitute. If Niantic abolished or halved the Daily Bonus and Weekly Bonus I probably wouldn't just tell players "Catch more Pokemon".

Like I said, raids are the endgame now. Gyms are just a means to an end. I'm actually thinking about how to tackle the legendaries as efficiently as possible. Golem should be an all-star against the bird trio and T-Tar is indispensable against Mew and Mewtwo.

The previous gym system made it worth it to think about matchups and movesets.

Raids so far are just meant to be brute forced through player numbers, though. You can bring great pokemon or merely good pokemon, but by and large your success is in the hands of your collective group (and will be more related to the size of that group than the team composition that you as an individual bring). Strangely, you said that building stable team of 7 to remain competitive isn't your cup of tea......but two sentences later you say you're looking to build a stable team to take down Legendaries :)

[citation needed]

Is it not common knowledge at this point that most F2P games are largely funded by by a tiny percentage of users that contribute to a huge percentage of revenue?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-play

It is likely that the vast majority of players are playing for free and few are paying money, such that a very tiny minority pay the bulk of the income, known as "whales" and up to 50% of revenue comes from 0.15% (15 in 10,000) of players in one report, these players are known as "white whales".

Ashodin

The main problem is that there isn't just much to do anymore.

This is why I consider you closer to hardcore; I still have much to do and I'm playing somewhat reliably every day. Not as much as others, but I catch and spin stuff here and there.

elguero

Guys, how rare is it supposed to be to receive candy when feeding pokemon in gyms? I don't think it's happened to me yet after feeding 90 berries. Do you need a certain level of gym badge?

Top Bottom