• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire at Hynix DRAM focused factory (40-50% of Hynix's DRAM output, supply ok)

McHuj

But I doubt it would affect either Sony or MS. Shouldn't there be contracts in place? They would most likely be one of the biggest or maybe even the biggest single customer and would buy at fixed price rates, wouldn't they?

Yes, but supply is the bigger issue.

AwRy108

I'd be fairly certain that both parties have already locked in prices with all of the manufacturers involved, so this will probably only effect consumers and the prices of future devices.

Chû Totoro;79938297 said:
ah ah.
true :(

If Sony used Hynix RAM when Microsoft don't it could kill their launch. Does someone know what are their main clients?

PS4 GDDR5 is from Hynix. Hynix was the first to have ready the GDDR5 density that Sony needed to go 8 GB.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I hope everyone is ok.

But I doubt it would affect either Sony or MS. Shouldn't there be contracts in place? They would most likely be one of the biggest or maybe even the biggest single customer and would buy at fixed price rates, wouldn't they?

Contract will mean nothing is there is not enough supply to meet demand, a 50% cut in long-term production, from a supplier the size of Hynix is not trivial.

This will have knock-on effects for supplies and prices of ALL DRAM supplies, regardless of manufacturer

Must have been caused by that Xbone CPU upclock.

image.php

S-stop it, you're making my S-Link rise

nvidia uses hynex for GDDR5. this could be a crapper of chuck norris proportions. Everything's connected some way. One major producer goes down, it raises prices for the whole market. SSD's, GDDR5, etc. Everything has a component that will be indirectly or directly affected by higher prices due to shortage.

Nikodemos

Makes you wonder why these factories do not have an incredible fire proof system. There are billions going out, why not pump in a few hundred to get the most high tech fire proof system?
Because they'd rather not pay the money. A state of the art fire prevention and suppression system is craycray expensive. And since there's no such thing as safety standards in China, nobody would fine them for having undersized fire suppression systems. The most annoying thing is, this isn't the first time there's a massive fire at a memory plant. Yet still they didn't bother doing anything about the risk.

People are grasping at straws here. No one knows if Sony has a contract with Hynix to manufacture their GDDR5. Stop making bold statements unless you know it as fact and have a credible source to quote.

pulsemyne

Nintendo uses Hynix in some WiiU's. Other WiiU's use samsung chips. At least in the beginning they did, whether or not they switched to using just hynix or samsung I'm not sure.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
nvidia uses hynex for GDDR5. this could be a crapper of chuck norris proportions. Everything's connected some way. One major producer goes down, it raises prices for the whole market. SSD's, GDDR5, etc. Everything has a component that will be indirectly or directly affected by higher prices due to shortage.

Absolutely, the knock-on effects are going to be mental.

Glad I got my new build & SSD this Summer. :p

Well so much for my plan of waiting until after the new consoles launch to buy a new GPU... Hope everyone at the factory is safe.

JCreasy

This happening on the day xbone announces its release date is more than suspect, especially if it only affects Sony.

darkwing

doesn't matter if PS4 uses Hynix, every DDR5 would become much more expensive, the delay between the first batch and second batch would be :O or major loss for them

Article says nVidia gets alot of their GDDR for video cards from Hynix, and that to expect price hikes on ram, video cards and SSDs for the near future

Yes, but supply is the bigger issue.

Contract will mean nothing is there is not enough supply to meet demand, a 50% cut in long-term production, from a supplier the size of Hynix is not trivial.

This will have knock-on effects for supplies and prices of ALL DRAM supplies, regardless of manufacturer

As the biggest single customer they w/should be served first. Also, nobody knows if the GDDR5 would come from this particular factory. Hynix has other factories.

This if still hypothetical, of course, as nobody knows if they are supplied by Hynix.

wizzbang

Banned
This is REALLY bad, we haven't had a big manufacturer out of action in many many years in the industry. This will really drive up prices on many devices.

Top Bottom