• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire at Hynix DRAM focused factory (40-50% of Hynix's DRAM output, supply ok)

Binabik15

I think about getting a new harddrive, factory gets flooded, I preorder a second PS4, RAM factories explode (499€ deal, lets see when that releases now). Man, I better stop thinking about getting tech stuff or factory workers are going to string me up.

iE1qdQ9o5XhXT.jpg

*laughs*

Industrial accidents can happen anywhere, but this is definitely one of the pitfalls of outsourcing that make you wonder if it's worth it in the long run. I mean think about the HDD production issues we're still experiencing the impact of, due to the fact that all of these large electronics firms started building production facilities in an area of Thailand that nobody apparently did due diligence in investigating whether or not the area was in a historical floodplain.

Minions

If you thought demand was high... if this reduces production significantly expect the prices to go up quite a bit.Unfortunate for everyone involved.

Nobody knows.

According to an earlier article it's 'one' of their possible sources:

Thanks to adoption of custom AMD Fusion system-on-chip with eight Jaguar x86 cores and specialized Radeon HD graphics processor, the PlayStation 4 now relies on 8GB of industry-standard GDDR5, which Sony can source from three manufacturers (Samsung, Micron/Elpida and SK Hynix), instead of two (Samsung, Micron/Elpida).

Source

So with contracts in place, I don't see initial allotment prices going up (I would imagine). But, for future prices, like the HDD market with Thailand floods, we could see an increase from the other two.

Either way, this is definitely a problem with the supply chain.

oh yeah... prices how could I've forget that. Sony is going to loose big money with the price of the RAM...
Nintendo too but they can wait a little because... Wii U don't sell :'(
For once bad news may be good news for them (I think not but I'm trying).

So Microsoft's cow boys did the job? :p

iceatcs

every manufacture is fucked. Some can charge more of a premium than others and get away with it though.

Yeah but who need most, I would say apple because ipad, iphone and ipod with the high number of sales.
It doesn't matter which one factory they use but the price will get higher could affect a lot.

doesn't matter if PS4 uses Hynix, every DDR5 would become much more expensive, the delay between the first batch and second batch would be :O or major loss for them

Yup, and Nvidia is especially screwed. Hynix is their SK partner churning out the memory for their GPUs. If Sony isn't using Hynix, hopefully they have a tight contract with their manufactuer that locked in prices for a long time to come.

This could affect SSD's severely too. Hynix is big. Not sure who Samsung uses. All tech categories could be affected. Hynix doesn't just make GDDR5.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
°°ToMmY°°;79939645 said:
sony sources gddr5 from three manufacturers: samsung, hynix and elpida.

Do Samsung and elpida fab GDDR5 modules of 4 Gb density at 5.5 Gbps speed and 1.35V?.

Is a serious question. Last time i checked it was only Hynix. It would be logical and good for Sony to have several suppliers.

Guess which 2 companies just increased prices on their GDDR5 chips by about 15%

Does not matter for Sony.

Every company has the manufacturer sign a contract that gives bulks of chipsets for a steady price. They can not up towards 15% and demand more cash from Sony. That is called a breach of contract if they do.

Bishop89

Im not liking the sound of this.

I hope this doesnt delay the ps4 or affect the launches.

Detective Gaf, find out nao!

Every company has the manufacturer sign a contract that gives bulks of chipsets for a steady price. They can not up towards 15% and demand more cash from Sony. That is called a breach of contract if they do.

I agree, but the supply is the bigger issue here. It's obvious Sony wouldn't up the price to the consumer to reflect their (assumed) increase in manufacturing.

wizzbang

Banned

You people are living in some kind of magical fantasy land. These factories are not little $20 million dollar ventures. If they can't produce they can't produce, period.

Breach of contract? Oh well! shit happens, very sorry. They can't magically grow the chips.
We just better hope it's not the GDDR5 section of production or a primary facility.

Freki

The facility hit by fire is rumored to be one that handles packaging (placing bumped dies inside ceramic or plastic shells, and labeling them). If the extant of damage to the facility is high, it might affect NAND flash prices more than DRAM, since the company recently prioritized NAND flash over DRAM for the facility.
source

That ends a ton of panic.
people will continue to panic

Well, just because they are "prioritizing" doesn't mean that the facility has completely switched. It could have went from a 55/45 to a 45/55 priority. Nobody really knows.

I would assume this would be a smaller blip as this can't be the only factory they have, even for this particular manufacturer.

Top Bottom