• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, they raised the gil limit for transfer. Okay, I am going to transfer to EU server I guess. I have been meaning to check out one of the EU servers for a while but the logistical complexity of transferring my gill completely defeated me. With this new limit I should be able to make the move smoothly as I am not super rich. It’s great being on Ultros with GAF FC but I feel like I should at least check it out in Euro land. I can always return if the grass is not that much greener.

Does this kick in only on Stormblood launch?

How much gil can you transfer with now?

I don't get why they don't leave one of the data clusters in the other coast. Seems like causing some anecdotal problems within some FC is way better than giving half the US bad latency.

Makes me glad I went for an EU data center when I got into the game. Seeing the differences in ping after the data center move kinda hurts to look at.

Makes me glad I went for an EU data center when I got into the game. Seeing the differences in ping after the data center move kinda hurts to look at.

I played for 2 years on a US server, and when I came back to the game and changing to Ragnarok, the difference is too huge.

Montreal or California dosn't really matter, if you played from EU, you were gimped already.

Allard

I don't get why they don't leave one of the data clusters in the other coast. Seems like causing some anecdotal problems within some FC is way better than giving half the US bad latency.

The issue was due to level 3 routing, it wasn't about latency that caused them to need to move. They had worked with the company on the JP servers that now appear to be doing the current server data center so it was a natural fit (for them). In a perfect world they would have tried to get a data center in Texas or St. Louis or Chicago to try make latency less all around for everyone in the NA region (no matter what happened with this move everyone outside of the NA region was going to lose something with this move, there was no way around that as the original server location was strategically place to try and cover EU and NA server needs, and now there are actual EU datacenters).

The fact of the matter is the original server location was not tenable, they had major drop out and server outages due to level 3 routing that affected even people close by the server much less on the other side of the country. You needed something like wtfast to even play the game some nights due to how bad it was and even then the server might still drop you. I feel sorry for those that this might have negatively effected but the move NEEDED to happen. I played the game just fine at higher latency the most on the east coast just fine, never felt like I was losing out on some grand dps or ever felt like I couldn't avoid AOE or not beable to heal in time, it didn't affect my enjoyment, what did affect my enjoyment were request timeouts, latency spikes and massive loss of communication for hours during prime time of playing the game.

iammeiam

It should be added this is for transferring off populated worlds to designated lower population worlds.

Nope:

To better accommodate players moving from high population Worlds to low population Worlds, the amount of gil that can be transferred with characters and retainers has been increased as follows (Please note this also applies when transferring to high population Worlds):

The bribes will come for low-pop transfers, but the Gil cap bump is universal.

You can only have a total of 4 retainers

They bumped it to 8 per character with Heavensward.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No it's frequently under character lock. Not balmung tier but definitely active.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
I thought the lockout was just for new characters. Guess maybe I won't be transferring.

The character creation lockout can be bypassed with a transfer, however, the worlds mentioned today in Square Enix's efforts to reduce congestion are under a strict lockout which can't be circumvented.

I'm sitting at 80-90ms at the moment, albeit artificially I suppose, and I'm not really seeing any issues? Salted Earth + Blood Weapon is still an awkward pairing but that's mostly due to the nature of casting SE without losing time but BW into SE (with it on a x15 <t> macro) has it cast pretty cleanly. All the other common pairing of skills (DP+DA, C&S+LB) seem to still fire and with a fair amount of leeway. Pretty tight timing for some 'wrong' pairs like DA+C&S on the same oGCD but otherwise it's been fine?

Just random dummy tests of rotating through the openers I know, anyway.

For non DRK things, WAR @546 SSPD breakpoint I can 9-hit Berserk with time to spare without delaying my Berserk activation like I used to have to (aka, eat a forced small clip). DRG doesn't have any awkward 2x oGCDs but I'm also under the 599 SSPD breakpoint by a fair amount so I may not be running into any crunch. I don't NIN well enough to comment on the rotation flow but I still can't Huton at the max speed I smash buttons at which is ass still but eh.

The only thing I did was login and hit a dummy for a while. First thing I noticed is that the sfx came out at a delay compared to pre-server move. It's slight but definitely noticeable. Does the slight clipping make it unplayable? No, it's something I'll have to get used to eventually.

Triple Cleave is something I still need to test. Mudras are probably going to be hilarious now. Haven't done any content but I'm not going to be surprised when I get hit by aoes since my timing is synced for the old server and I fully expect to get hit by things that I would normally think I would be safe from. I always dodge the second Sohm Al hard boss tail spin by the skin of my teeth if I see it in time so I'm curious to see whether I can still do that.

Dumping a fun class for good because you can't achieve a theoretical Max dps potential.

there was a point I was close to caring this much and Im glad I didnt get there.

I never said anything about top dps. I don't care about top dps.

If something that was fun is now less fun then that's a point I'm going to consider when I choose what to main. Plus only one DRK ability has been shown so far (the screenshot doesn't count because no one can tell what the fuck is going on there). Right now Warrior is in the lead with a charge and a SSJ ability.

Dumping a fun class for good because you can't achieve a theoretical Max dps potential.

there was a point I was close to caring this much and Im glad I didnt get there.
It's not just that though. NIN for example isn't actually unplayable at 160ms but it feels awful with Mudras constantly not registering and the game throwing you Rabbit Mediums from time to time when you're trying to use Raiton instead of Fuma. It turns the job into a crapshoot and that's just not fun.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The character creation lockout can be bypassed with a transfer, however, the worlds mentioned today in Square Enix's efforts to reduce congestion are under a strict lockout which can't be circumvented.

Ultros isn't on the list though. I'm guessing it might not be a free transfer, but even paying for a transfer, I am considering it if I can transfer all my gil now.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
Ultros isn't on the list though. I'm guessing it might not be a free transfer, but even paying for a transfer, I am considering it if I can transfer all my gil now.

I don't believe the worlds that will be supporting the free transfers have been listed yet, but I seriously doubt Ultros will be one of them due to character creation lockouts being a regular occurrence past noon.

The changes to the gil restriction should already be in place, however, I cannot say for sure.

B.K.

I just checked my ping time. It doubled from the old server. I checked Sunday night before it went offline and my pint was 41ms. Now, it's 83ms.

scy

The only thing I did was login and hit a dummy for a while. First thing I noticed is that the sfx came out at a delay compared to pre-server move. It's slight but definitely noticeable. Does the slight clipping make it unplayable? No, it's something I'll have to get used to eventually.

I did a few hours of testing things on a dummy and checking input timestamps (mostly just via logs, didn't think I needed frame data levels of stuff); I could get them to clip in certain pairings, or some of them to clip in the hundredths of milliseconds occasionally which I chalked up to my hotkeys are awful, but none of them are combinations you naturally hit anyway (anything with Plunge, DA->oGCD instead of oGCD->DA).

I'm also not entirely sure how often DRK actively pursues a 2x oGCD outside of opener alignments? I'm pretty sure it's kind of rare beyond whatever is up alongside Dark Passenger or Carve & Spit and both of those were the convenient-to-cancel with ones when DA used to be bugged to allow for two activations in one buff.

Triple Cleave is something I still need to test. Mudras are probably going to be hilarious now.

Realistically, triple cleave should be fine for basically everyone? You're not 2x oGCD natively as a WAR too often and the old standard for shaky latency was to delay the post-IR Berserk so it clips the GCD slightly instead of hitting it too early so people suddenly clipping now is better for them, not worse. The rest is fitting in GCDs that shouldn't really have changed unless people weren't riding the GCD to begin with. Server move lets me just mash my keys and come out with about a .15s or so leeway, even when I was actively trying to oGCD everything I had available, which more or less puts it in line with my SSPD being over the minimum breakpoint.

Edit: To be fair to all of this, I'd still not at all be opposed to them just cutting the GCD animation lock. It's somewhere around .635s and animations are janky enough as is, if anyone really watches them when playing, that cutting that to .5 or .3s would do a lot to free up the double weave without really opening up a triple weave avenue. Or, well, combat overhaul fucks it all over anyway but eh.

It's not just that though. NIN for example isn't actually unplayable at 160ms but it feels awful with Mudras constantly not registering and the game throwing you Rabbit Mediums from time to time when you're trying to use Raiton instead of Fuma. It turns the job into a crapshoot and that's just not fun.

NIN gets to be the weird one where it can feel like absolute shit at 'good' latencies. Even at 70-80 range it was fine but the packet loss and random cancelling of GCD/oGCDs led to a lot of mudra fuckery that WTFast fixed. If the server move fixed that, NIN is a lot less suffering to me that I had when my ping was closer to 80-100. It seemed good enough when I was testing without messing with my post-move latency (~50-60) but I really didn't stress it much.

but then no more bunny and that's tragic in it's own way

BLCKATK

Speaking of that DRK ability, I have a strong feeling it's a multi-hit attack of some sort. From the image and the fact that Yoshi-P said vertical spin makes me think that it is a Somersault of some sorts with the greatsword. Maybe closing distance?

Would be cool if it did magic damage.

Luigi87

So for some reason I can't access anything related to FF14 from my home IP now. I can't open the game (A system error has occurred), and I can't access the Lodestone. I can access the Lodestone via my mobile data, so there's something preventing me from home, and I have no idea what.

Edit: Actually it seems to just be my PC in particular, hmm

Edit 2: Nevermind, Windows Firewall activated for some reason and was blocking it.

Squishy3

it begins, someone got kicked from their static because they're the only one on the east coast and that somehow means they're "no longer a fit for the team" ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

edit: wasn't my friend, but someone else. still dumb

Ken

it begins, someone i know got kicked from their static because they're the only one on the east coast and that somehow means they're "no longer a fit for the team" ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

Does that static leader keep track of everyone's internet speeds too.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
it begins, someone i know got kicked from their static because they're the only one on the east coast and that somehow means they're "no longer a fit for the team" ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯
Someone you know or some Twitter post you read?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
it begins, someone got kicked from their static because they're the only one on the east coast and that somehow means they're "no longer a fit for the team" ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

edit: wasn't my friend, but someone else. still dumb

Doesn't sound like a group of people worth playing with if true.

iammeiam

Btw, for people using dummies to check lag, don't check in housing areas, it's less noticeable there.

But! if people are able to not clip in the housing areas in the new datacenter, it can't be their physical distance from said datacenter causing clipping in content.

The discrepancy exists and is weird, but the instance and housing servers are in the same place sooo

Well, it seems like the whole 300ms ping problem is my ISP's routing being absolutely insane. Hopefully VPN will fix it, otherwise I'll need to call and complain a fucking lot.

Squishy3

Someone you know or some Twitter post you read?
I guess it was the aformentioned twitter post, but I got thrown off because it got uploaded directly to a discord I was in instead of just linked.

Either way it's stupid to even do. Take them into Titan EX and see if the higher ping affects dodging the 6 way aoe and give him time to adjust before kicking him.

scy

Lemon Drops with the top memes, r i p

Well, it seems like the whole 300ms ping problem is my ISP's routing being absolutely insane. Hopefully VPN will fix it, otherwise I'll need to call and complain a fucking lot.

Every time I read a post about the South America / typically Brazil routing, I wonder what the hell is going on with the situation. These Amsterdam routes as if it's connecting to Frankfurt and some people seem to still be routed to Montreal before redirected. And then the ones that manage to do those then also route to Seattle in the process. Is someone in Texas denying them access, is that what this is.

Like, I look at the League server move situation and look back to this current one and throw up a massive ? at the whole thing.

iammeiam

Either way it's stupid to even do. Take them into Titan EX and see if the higher ping affects dodging the 6 way aoe and give him time to adjust before kicking him.

...no. Like, I'm pretty the original post was a troll, but I'm just going to hard no the idea of embracing the current lunacy to the extent of taking people into Titan EX ping tests. That is crazy. Do not let the crazy spread. Cross-coast latency is not new, does not render Titan EX impractical, etc.

Like, this is bordering on YOU CANT HAVE TWO RANGED IN BIS EX IT IS UNPOSSIBLE lunacy that just needs to be hardlined eyerolled at.

Squishy3

...no. Like, I'm pretty the original post was a troll, but I'm just going to hard no the idea of embracing the current lunacy to the extent of taking people into Titan EX ping tests. That is crazy. Do not let the crazy spread. Cross-coast latency is not new, does not render Titan EX impractical, etc.

Like, this is bordering on YOU CANT HAVE TWO RANGED IN BIS EX IT IS UNPOSSIBLE lunacy that just needs to be hardlined eyerolled at.
It'd be dumb all around, I agree wholeheartedly.

But you know there'll be fringe cases where people are fucks and start pulling this kind of thing.

pf: omega savage no bonus west coast only 2 aoe deaths and you're gone

Haly

Zurvan Farm Skip Soar confirm west coast IP trace or kick

iammeiam

Just as long as we're all clear anybody trying to pull that is stapling a giant "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS HAPPENING AND WILL BE INCREDIBLY ANNOYING TO RAID WITH" sign to their head.

It's community service. Letting us know up front to not get too close and catch the insanity.

BLCKATK

Agreed, anyone spouting that kind of stuff is basically holding up a huge red flag.

Even amongst all of this, my schedule looks like it will be stable, and I've kept up with some raiding buddies over the past year as I've taken a break from raiding. Looking forward to starting a group up again and diving in for Stormblood.

scy

Just go to speedtest.net and select a Montreal server, and you'll get a close guess as to what your ping used to be.

I really wouldn't suggest this? My ping is something like ~30-ish lower vs comparing the old server location. Hell, checking again right now and it's lower than my ping to the Sacramento server.

199.91.189.234 will be a more accurate guess for the old Montreal lobby server ping.

Edit: Worth mention, I'd still not concern yourself too much over the raw difference in the latency until you get a chance to try things in game. Maybe even do that first before checking to see what the difference is.

Thorgal

With all this talk of Latency , i realized i never checked how much i had here in EU on a EU server .

20 -40 ms ping with zero packet loss .
Living practically next to the server .

Lemon Drops with the top memes, r i p

Every time I read a post about the South America / typically Brazil routing, I wonder what the hell is going on with the situation. These Amsterdam routes as if it's connecting to Frankfurt and some people seem to still be routed to Montreal before redirected. And then the ones that manage to do those then also route to Seattle in the process. Is someone in Texas denying them access, is that what this is.

Like, I look at the League server move situation and look back to this current one and throw up a massive ? at the whole thing.

Damn

resize

What could have been.

Haly

lul

My friend plays dota with me on USEast sometimes and I play on USW with him. It's like training with DBZ-style weighted clothes.

I would've accepted Texas but all Sacramanto does is shift the latency from one end of the coast to the other.

so is there any kind of catch up mechanic?

I don't for story or anything and I just want to be able to play with my friends

If I bought a new account how long would it take to get there?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
so is there any kind of catch up mechanic?

I don't for story or anything and I just want to be able to play with my friends

If I bought a new account how long would it take to get there?
From scratch, maybe a month if you rush through it.

They haven't given much details on the cash shop skip potion. Media tour has started so we should know soon what they're planning for it.

Haly

I'm looking for a database.

It has all the fish sorted by internal ilvl, and you can designate a range to filter out the level of fish you want.

I'm pretty sure it's a JP site and I forgot how I found it but it's impossible to find via english terms. I probably clicked a link somewhere which took me to it.

(Working on CUL desynth and all the hidden information is so fucking annoying, none of it is organized either.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom