• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

He'd probably spit up blood over half the shit we've read.

Yea... the shit you and I read definitely ain't allowed in here xD

On a rating scale from G to "YOU NEED JESUS"... i definitely fall well beyond the latter. But we gotta keep it PG so I'll stop.

I'm trying to rack my mind around what fic I can recommend but every one I read (and wrote) involves shipping via FedEx.

There's the Kuvira redemption fic "Ironclad", it's pretty popular but I haven't read it so idk.

Yea... the shit you and I read definitely ain't allowed in here xD

On a rating scale from G to "YOU NEED JESUS"... i definitely fall well beyond the latter. But we gotta keep it PG so I'll stop.

I'm trying to rack my mind around what fic I can recommend but every one I read (and wrote) involves shipping via FedEx.

There's the Kuvira redemption fic "Ironclad", it's pretty popular but I haven't read it so idk.
We need more than just Jesus my friend, we need several dieties.

A reminder that Altazor's LTTP of Korra exist.

tumblr_np51e8h7zR1smtwdyo1_1280.jpg

Been playing Europa Universalis 4 lately, doing it singleplayer for the first time as France. There's so much space for intrigue without butting heads against people you know and are clearly better at the 4Xs.

School is idiotically packed right now for me. Two more weeks of hell.

When it's finally all over, I'll go home and stand on my balcony like

tumblr_np245lEoSH1ttqaiio1_1280.gif

Just seeing this thread now. Got 2 episodes of Legend Of Korra left to watch. Really enjoying the show maybe not as much as LTA but it's still better than most other shows I've watched recently.

image.php

Close enough.

U right

Just seeing this thread now. Got 2 episodes of Legend Of Korra left to watch. Really enjoying the show maybe not as much as LTA but it's still better than most other shows I've watched recently.

Glad you're liking it.

Dang it man I wish there were more action cartoons right now. 3D platformers are showing promise of a reinassance era. When is this gonna happen for action cartoons? Someone needs to do a kickstarter for one. Are indie cartoons a thing? lol. I guess those would be like those animated youtube series that exist.

Dang it man I wish there were more action cartoons right now. 3D platformers are showing promise of a reinassance era. When is this gonna happen for action cartoons? Someone needs to do a kickstarter for one. Are indie cartoons a thing? lol. I guess those would be like those animated youtube series that exist.

RWBY was one of those indie web cartoons, maybe the last action one for awhile. Not sure what will happen to it since Monty is gone, bless his soul.

Yeah we were discussing it and couldn't really think of anything else. So if anyone has any ideas, throw them out and we can probably get a mod to change it.

RWBY was one of those indie web cartoons, maybe the last action one for awhile. Not sure what will happen to it since Monty is gone, bless his soul.

Ah I've heard of that. Never knew it was indie.

-Deimos

Probably a good idea to have The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra in the title, or at least TLA/LOK.
Never heard of this, I'll check it out later.

Toa TAK

Banned
Kuvira's name should be in there, too to attract curious skimmers.

Also, wasn't there supposed to be a fanfic discussion here? We do need to have something spearheading the thread unless we want it closed again.

Yeah we were discussing it and couldn't really think of anything else. So if anyone has any ideas, throw them out and we can probably get a mod to change it.

Ah I've heard of that. Never knew it was indie.

Well, it is indie if you consider Rooster Teeth to be indie I suppose.

Probably a good idea to have The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra in the title, or at least TLA/LOK.

Never heard of this, I'll check it out later.

Well first of it all, it uses CG models/props./etc via an... adequate program I guess. If you didnt mind the visuals of that Spiderman show with CG models.Then I guess I can recommend a quick go at it. For me the show was kinda meh, but an admirable attempt.

I don't read much fanfiction, but I can withstand some recommendations.

AVATAR COMMUNITY OT - 4 elements. 6 seasons. Infinite crack ships.

AVATAR COMMUNITY OT - You either sink a crack ship, or sail long enough to become canon.

AVATAR COMMUNITY OT - So thirsty, even cactus juice won't quench us.

AVATAR COMMUNITY OT - 4 elements. 6 seasons. Infinite crack ships.

AVATAR COMMUNITY OT - You either sink a crack ship, or sail long enough to become canon.

AVATAR COMMUNITY OT - So thirsty, even cactus juice won't quench us.
Was Korrasami ever considered a "crack ship" though? I mean it's nowhere near as out there as some of the other ships on Korra.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, as no one is talking about the fanfic stuff, I don't think it's actually going to take off. If it were, we wouldn't have had to wait so long for anyone else to make a recommendation, or atleast discussion on what they can or cannot recommend.

I'm just dropping in my pick in here, and I'll start reading it....uh, later, I guess. I am reading 3 books concurrently right now, but I think I can squeeze in this one more if I go on a chapter by chapter basis.

So whats the best Avatar fanfiction that I've read? Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you.

Azula.png

THE AZULA TRILOGY BY MASTERGHANDALF

Azula is the BEST kind of villains. She was one of the most powerful benders in the show. She was an absolutely brilliant tactician and manipulator. She was not the most powerful foe that the Gaang faced, but she was definitely the most dangerous. Ba Sing Se was a city that withstood the attacks of the Fire Nation for a hundred years, and she brought it to its knees in a matter of days. The Dai Lee were soldiers that were loyal to another manipulator, and she took their loyalty through charisma and will. The Aang, the main character, in his Avatar State, is the most powerful being in the world, and she (temporarily) killed him. When most shows try to make a villain this capable, they have the main characters acting more inept than they usually would, because it's hard to realistically write a character this badass without making everyone else look like fools. No, Azula was that awesome without that kind of immersion breaking handicap. In short, she was badass.

It wasn't just her abilities though. I also loved her character arc. Her truly sociopathic father, valuing her exceptional firebending skills, showed her what she thought of as love, and modeled her personality after him. When she saw her mother disturbed by her actions, she saw it as rejection, and buried any feelings of kinship she had toward her mother, brother, even friends. She tried her damnedest to be Daddy's Little Sociopath...but she wasn't. For a long time, Azula seemed unstoppable, but once her friends 'betray her', her brother matches her, her father abandons her, she starts to crack, and continues cracking, until the finale where she is reduced to an insane, sobbing mess. It was her being human, and not a monster, that ultimately defeated her. It was a beautiful tragedy.

She is a very complex character. As such, I see very few fics that get her character right. Some just make her into a sadistic maniac without any of the redeeming traits she had. Some turn her into a cuddly puppy as soon as she recovers, forgetting her arrogant, callousness, and manipulative personality. Very, very few capture her brilliance and talent believably. Very often, she is forgiven too easily for all the wrongs she has done. I haven't read The Search, the comic books that conclude her own journey, but if it's anything like The Promise, then not even her own creators have successfully replicated her after the show ended. So when I recommend you read the Azula Trilogy, I do so because he truly does her character justice. It is the story of how Azula recovers from her insanity and grows into the new world where the Fire Nation is no longer at war or the supreme sovereigns of the world. Politics, spirits, world exploration, character development, humor, spirituality, creative uses of bending...MasterGhandalf captures the essence of everything TLA ever was, places it behind the perspective of one of TLA's most complex characters, and drives Azula's story forward from TLA's conclusion in a believable matter, doing new things without ever breaking the continuity set by the show. In my opinion, there is no reason why this story shouldn't be canon. As far as I'm concerned, it is. If you like Azula's character, this is a must read.

Heart of Fire

Path of Fire

Soul of Fire

Was Korrasami ever considered a "crack ship" though? I mean it's nowhere near as out there as some of the other ships on Korra.

In season one and two, yeah, absolutely. Especially with Mako, Korra, and Asami all appearing to be straight. And of course it was a Nick show....

Soooo did anyone else go through Velk's recommendation? Unfortunately, I do not have enough stake in Azula to complete the first one. Let alone the next two.

Soooo did anyone else go through Velk's recommendation? Unfortunately, I do not have enough stake in Azula to complete the first one. Let alone the next two.

My thing is, I'm just a run of the mill tumblr girl except the girl part. I only read fics with romance/pairings, and I tend to lean to mainly crack ships unless the fic is really fuckin good. I've been that way ever since I started reading fan fiction eons ago so this ain't new.

There's only like two fics I ever read that didn't focus on romance, but that was back in the day when I was fangirling for Final Fantasy X.

Wait... There's already a Community thread? I started working on one a few days ago because I thought there wasn't one hahaha

Happy to see I don't need to put in any work now that one already exists :)

Top Bottom