• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Oh, take pictures!

Ok, I'll take pictures of her and Moon. I have both of them so far. They get to stand along with a few of my Kamen Rider and Sentai SH Figuarts, as well as Revoltech Kenshiro and Menace from Queen's Blade *lol* Oh! and we can't forget Cure White <3 another magical girl favorite of mine.

UberTag

Is this the thread where we declare our senshi allegiance?

I feel like it's been over a decade since I've watched any of the episodes or movies. Far too long.

Cheerilee

I bought them for $99 and $149 respectively, at launch. They were never cheap.

Yeah but...

hhBbS42.png
LWB3c4C.png
a9RTlTx.png

Even the DiC dub, which was released as singe discs, went...

kKgg5xR.png

I'm cheating by using Amazon.ca, but still...

I kind of want these but heard the transfer quality isnt very good. For uncut seasons Id pay pretty good money though.

I don't think anything was wrong with the transfer specifically, it's that Toei gave America some seriously worn out/degraded tapes. IIRC, the audio in the season 1&2 boxes was distractingly low-quality sometimes, but then someone mentioned that the Japanese audio on the 3&4 dvds wasn't so hot either, it was just preserved to DVD a few years earlier than 1&2 were. And the English audios don't suffer as badly.

IIRC, ADV said that they legally couldn't so something so simple as copy the Japanese laserdiscs. They had to use what Toei gave them, which was worn out magnetic tape, and one missing episode. Pretty sure my VHS fansubs are in better condition than my legit DVDs.

And then the Japanese DVDs came out, and they're supposedly better than the laserdiscs. I'm tempted to import them, but I'd rather wait for Blu-ray.

SaintZ

Naoko Takeuchi Interview in ROLa Magazine January 2014

No, it doesn't include new info about the anime but it has some interesting stuff:

Aya&#65306;All the way to Izu! That’s a shock…Anyway, 20 years have passed and Sailor Moon still hasn’t gotten stale at all, which is amazing. It’s even still really popular abroad. Have you gotten any surprising offers from fans abroad?

Takeuchi&#65306;There was an offer made from Hollywood to make a movie. (LOL)
Aya: Getting right into it, first I’d like to ask about Mrs. Takeuchi’s original manga. It’s difficult to tell when you print it, but I was very surprised when I heard that Mrs. Takeuchi’s original manga has many things with beads and lace attached.

Osano: It was an extremely troublesome original manga for us (laughs). Which is to say, and this becomes a specialized discussion, but you can’t print illustrations with 3D objects attached with regular offset printing. You need to take a picture of the illustration, then print it using a manufacturing process where you circulate that photo in the printing press, so it’s an illustration that makes editors and print shops cry. On top of that, there’s the possibility that beads, etc will come plopping off when moving it, so it’s a pain to handle. Therefore, I pleaded “Please refrain from attaching 3D objects” with Mrs. Takeuchi several times, but she didn’t care (laughs). However, looking at it after several decades, each drawing is incredibly wonderful… Those illustrations made me cry at that time, but thinking back on it, I definitely feel that she was right.
I love reading about this kind of stuff so I thought this was really interesting. Naoko's truly an artist
kd3vw88umx.gif

MikeMyers

I never really liked Jadiete, especially in PGSM, dude was annyoing as hell.

Zoisite is a true bastard, even responsible for the death of his own comrade.

Wait, does that mean the new series is out yet? I want the new series so badly.

Magical Girls are one of the happiest things of my life. I'm so glad for Sailor Moon. Absolutely one of my favourite anime.

Syrinx

Wait, does that mean the new series is out yet? I want the new series so badly.

Magical Girls are one of the happiest things of my life. I'm so glad for Sailor Moon. Absolutely one of my favourite anime.

Nope, still waiting on anything. MikeMyers and co. just created this because they felt like it. But Sailor Moon is cool so I approve of that.

It's from episode 35.

I was trying to check and take some shots, but my computer won't read any discs right now. Heh.

Edit: I found two slightly different sources:

Kunzite: Are you prepared to die, Princess?
Mercury: You'll have to beat me first!
Kunzite: Do not interfere!

Kunzite: Are you ready, Princess?
Mercury: I am your opponent!

cj_iwakura

It's from episode 35.

I was trying to check and take some shots, but my computer won't read any discs right now. Heh.

Edit: I found two slightly different sources:

Kunzite: Are you prepared to die, Princess?
Mercury: You'll have to beat me first!

Kunzite: Are you ready, Princess?
Mercury: I am your opponent!

I kind of like how Malachite personalizes it more, but eh, he's not the type to care.

UberTag

Blech, the post-R dubs are awful. At least the early dubs have a weird charm.

And I thought Serena's VA was pretty great.
Yeah, I'm partial to the pre-S dubs as well. Even though Sailor Moon S is the best of the 5 seasons as far as source material is concerned. The dub was just awful for it.
John Stocker rushed through the recording of those episodes in slapdash fashion. And Linda Ballantyne wasn't much of a Terri Hawkes-substitute.

The only arguable improvement from the SMS & SuperS dubs was getting Stephanie "Sugar" Lyn Beard to voice Chibi-Usa Rini.

Syrinx

Sailor Venus Figuarts pics: http://www.tomopop.com/bandai-turns-the-spotlight-on-s-h-figuarts-sailor-venus-33132.phtml

Comes with Artemis:

Out in...April or July. The sources I saw were a bit confusing. One said it's out in April, and another said it's up for pre-order in April, and out in July. Heh.

And here's a preview of the Sailor Mercury Figuarts ZERO: http://www.tomopop.com/get-a-better-look-at-figuarts-zero-sailor-mercury-33003.phtml

Man, I don't have figurines and stuff, but that Mercury one lookspretty rad. Interested to see it when it's finished.

Sailor Venus Figuarts pics: http://www.tomopop.com/bandai-turns-the-spotlight-on-s-h-figuarts-sailor-venus-33132.phtml

She comes with Artemis. Out in...April or July. The sources I saw were a bit confusing. One said it's out in April, and another said it's up for pre-order in April, and out in July. Heh.

And here's a preview of the Sailor Mercury Figuarts ZERO: http://www.tomopop.com/get-a-better-look-at-figuarts-zero-sailor-mercury-33003.phtml

Sailor Moon figures to soon go with my Precure goods?

Top Bottom