• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

Kashiwaba

However they do provide a different atmosphere and progression where you can lose a race or two and end up winning a championship by a point in the end. It's a bit different than a one off races, or doing a series of one off races.

I think we have online championship for that.

ryseing

Okay show of hands... who here actually feels the reviews so far are unreasonable or unfair?

I don't think they're entirely unfair, but some of the specific complaints are really dumb. Like half of GB's Quick Look is Jeff/Brad complaining about how pretentious the game is. Peter Brown's review touches on this as well.

For the actual game, past be damned? Unreasonable.

For the actual game, past and legacy included? Fair.

I'm in this mindset as well, and I enjoy the game a lot.

The people talking about how it pales in comparison to previous GT games generally are coming from a well-meaning place, I think.

I happen to have been fortunate enough to have made the spontaneous decision to try the multiplayer during the beta/demo last week and ended up enjoying it a whole lot personally, and as I've said multiple times, I have avoided multiplayer in every racing game like the plague in the past -- GT Sport does enough to address almost all of my fears and anxieties about online racing that I held in the past in a way that feels elegant to me, even if it is shy of perfection in some places.

Comparing it to other service games reasonable but over all i don't think online service games should be reviewed with the same standards as SP games.

Especially with such robust online features like a ranking system.

Like seriously this is what people were complaining about GT for so long, it's stale and just a collectathon and you can just repeat same races over and over again.

Now it's focused and about the core racing experience and has a killer online mode. Like that is the series moving forward and I don't think that is being counted for enough.

It is being judged based on past standards on what racing games were about. In 6th and 7th gen it was exclusively about 1) graphics 2) driving model 3) damage model if any 4) how many cars and tracks.

That's OK for last gen and previous generation when SP essentially exclusively with tack on MP was the only viable way to make a racing game.

Now it is not that way, GT Sport is meant to be the future of racing acknowledging the new paradigm of connectivity and the new presence of persistent online personas.

This is the appropriate game and service model for what GT is meant to be in this era.

If you want to play collectathon games go play GT4 or GT6. If you want the best of what can be delivered now in a racing game which is excellent online service with a ranking system, amazing driving modelling, and fantastic racing cars, get GT Sport.

The only thing I would probably agree with is that the game is content light in terms of tracks and weather options. Everything else I think is just unfitting for the times as far as criticisms. This is what racers need to be and become now.

Ascenion

Okay show of hands... who here actually feels the reviews so far are unreasonable or unfair?

Fair. Being a Gran Turismo title, especially a main entry, brings with it expectations. Sport doesn’t meet those. Honestly I’d be harsher given how little attention was payed to the single player.

I'm in this mindset as well, and I enjoy the game a lot.

The people talking about how it pales in comparison to previous GT games generally are coming from a well-meaning place, I think.

I happen to have been fortunate enough to have made the spontaneous decision to try the multiplayer during the beta/demo last week and ended up enjoying it a whole lot personally, and as I've said multiple times, I have avoided multiplayer in every racing game like the plague in the past -- GT Sport does enough to address almost all of my fears and anxieties about online racing that I held in the past in a way that feels elegant to me, even if it is shy of perfection in some places.

Yup, same here.

All in all, I think it's a really good game on its own merit that has a tough time escaping what GT was, what we thought GT was, and what a lot of people think GT should be. GT's legacy holds it back, regardless of whether it should or whether that's at all reasonable in this day and age.

Crayon

Like seriously this is what people were complaining about GT for so long, it's stale and just a collectathon and you can just repeat same races over and over again.

Now it's focused and about the core racing experience and has a killer online mode. Like that is the series moving forward and I don't think that is being counted for enough.

It is being judged based on past standards on what racing games were about. In 6th and 7th gen it was exclusively about 1) graphics 2) driving model 3) damage model if any 4) how many cars and tracks.

That's OK for last gen and previous generation when SP essentially exclusively with tack on MP was the only viable way to make a racing game.

Now it is not that way, GT Sport is meant to be the future of racing acknowledging the new paradigm of connectivity and the new presence of persistent online personas.

This is the appropriate game and service model for what GT is meant to be in this era.

If you want to play collectathon games go play GT4 or GT6. If you want the best of what can be delivered now in a racing game which is excellent online service with a ranking system, amazing driving modelling, and fantastic racing cars, get GT Sport.

The only thing I would probably agree with is that the game is content light in terms of tracks and weather options. Everything else I think is just unfitting for the times as far as criticisms. This is what racers need to be and become now.

Okay but what if it's not all that yet?. What if it's going to be all that but rn it's just a decent start? High seventy-ish, perhaps?

Kashiwaba

Okay but what if it's not all that yet?. What if it's going to be all that but rn it's just a decent start? High seventy-ish, perhaps?

keep in mind none of the main reviewing sites (ign, gs) posted their review yet, i expect it to sit at low 80s (81, 82) once all are out.

I don't know how to quantify that shit, I'm not a professional reviewer, and I mean that in as demeaning a way as possible towards reviewers.

A number on that is completely meaningless. What it is now is well above the quality delivered in many games which probably "score" actually very high.

There's plenty of hours of driving experience to be had there. That's what is lost in feature counting.

I didn't feature count Spyro or Uncharted or Crash Bandicoot when I played them, I took the gameplay and the fun I had and I appreciate them based on that.

My very limited time even just over the last two days with GT Sport already tells me enough of what I need to know about the game, and it is that I can play it for a very long time because the driving is that good.

And yes I expect it to get better from what I already thoroughly enjoy.

Now a professional reviewer can use a faux algorithm out of his or her ass to reduce those statements into a meaningless integer.

JakR

Until last week GT5 was my last GT I played.
I disregarded GTS completely and interest was low.

The Beta was superb in my view. Great menu, presentation and a gripping "campaign" mode and the focus on online races with a great feeling of the cars with controller and human opponents.

I still wait, because I bought GT6 this weekend, feels good, but GTS feels so much more exciting and thrilling in every race I had.

Loudninja

Have you watched it? Anything good/bad?
Nah didn watch much yet.

I thought replays were 30fps? 2:25 timestamp.

There's more good news - specifically a clear improvement in performance in the high resolution mode compared to earlier betas. Based on our experience, the overall level of consistency here is very impressive, with Polyphony delivering its closest lock to 60 frames per second since the PS2 era. We had a difficult time encountering any slowdown during gameplay, meaning that if it does occur, it should be rare. The races all play back very smoothly at 60 frames per second - a level of performance often missed in the PS3 installments. PS4 Pro owners also get the chance to run replays at 1080p60 - while base PS4 and the high-res Pro mode operate these at 30fps instead. It's not a perfect lock but the results look brilliant - just the tonic after 10 years of top-tier racing games only offering 30fps replays.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-gran-turismo-sport-is-hdrs-killer-app

Fukuzatsu

I'm coming to terms with GaaS models I think, but in this case all I want is local saves for the content outside of Sport Mode and the other multiplayer stuff.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

How has the online won you over so far? I mean there is no reliable option to just go from main menu to a race with any ease at all.

-Lobbies are completely unreliable and mostly barely filled to quarter capacity(many with hosts asleep at the wheel),
-No matchmaking for unranked thrills and simple access to quick “I have twenty minutes, let’s do this!” fun.
-The ranking system is isolated to 3 specialized races they have yet to rotate. (Even if daily, only three and repeat or wait to reset??)

I dunno, this could be way better for an online-centric experience. I love the concept but it’s not there yet. Why are you so convinced?

Gestault

The Inside Sim Racing reviewer says aside from a few spots, gameplay and replays stick around 60 fps for him, and he specifies he's on a standard PS4. Which means he can't tell they're 30 fps.

Just watched. Good review. Seem like nice guys too.

They said a lot of it is just average and they miss the old stuff but the graphics and online are bangin and so they like it.

There were some technical errors in the review but just details.

Yeah, they were really positive about the online experience, with one of them saying it was second to none in pick-up and playability. Not sure if it's a stretch to say they think that it's the best online MP out there in that regard.

advion

Neo Member
Hmm Inside Sim Racing seems to have gotten a lot better since I last saw any of their stuff. Darin Gangi must have less to do with it now.

Crayon

How has the online won you over so far? I mean there is no reliable option to just go from main menu to a race with any ease at all.

-Lobbies are completely unreliable and mostly barely filled to quarter capacity(many with hosts asleep at the wheel),
-No matchmaking for unranked thrills and simple access to quick “I have twenty minutes, let’s do this!” fun.
-The ranking system is isolated to 3 specialized races they have yet to rotate. (Even if daily, only three and repeat or wait to reset??)

I dunno, this could be way better for an online-centric experience. I love the concept but it’s not there yet. Why are you so convinced?

I don't have it yet but I played the demo last week and I thought sport mode was savagely dope. I did play it when I had 15 minutes here and there: I jumped into qualifying sesh on a track for that day and try to clock that shit for 15 minutes. Maybe I could make an entry later that night and put the practice to use, maybe not. It all had a very live feel to. Much different than typical lobbies.

It was different to what I am used to and I liked it what can I say.

-No matchmaking for unranked thrills and simple access to quick ”I have twenty minutes, let's do this!" fun.

I dunno, this could be way better for an online-centric experience. I love the concept but it's not there yet. Why are you so convinced?

It's fun? And now that Sport Mode races occur every 5 minutes, you can do a lot of it in a short period of time.

I think they're pretty damn unreasonable. The game is being criticized for what it's not rather than what it is.

Been playing for 8 hours-ish and just finished the driving school. Yes, there is no traditional career mode, but there is a lot of single player content and I'm enjoying it just as much as Forza 7's offering.

The focus of the game is teaching you how to drive and it does a great job of that. You'll learn from your mistakes and you'll know exactly why you went wide on that corner. why you had so much oversteer on the exit that time etc. People complain about other games not teaching you how to play. but when GT Sport goes above and beyond to do this it's not recognized at all.

The incredible scapes mode and surprisingly good livery editor are ignored while Giant Bomb rants about having to learn about racing etiquette and Gamespot spends a paragraph complaining about TAG Heuer. They create one of the slickest menu systems ever seen in a game and nobody cares, even though they were quick to point out GT5's deficiencies in its user interface.

Crayon

I don't know how to quantify that shit, I'm not a professional reviewer, and I mean that in as demeaning a way as possible towards reviewers.

A number on that is completely meaningless. What it is now is well above the quality delivered in many games which probably "score" actually very high.

There's plenty of hours of driving experience to be had there. That's what is lost in feature counting.

I didn't feature count Spyro or Uncharted or Crash Bandicoot when I played them, I took the gameplay and the fun I had and I appreciate them based on that.

My very limited time even just over the last two days with GT Sport already tells me enough of what I need to know about the game, and it is that I can play it for a very long time because the driving is that good.

And yes I expect it to get better from what I already thoroughly enjoy.

Now a professional reviewer can use a faux algorithm out of his or her ass to reduce those statements into a meaningless integer.

This is a good example of how an unhinged rant can be totally on point and I vehemently agree that game reviews are fucking dumb.

Septic360

Banned
Lol I'm seeing some of the most regular commentators on here, a review thread, now constantly downplaying the concept of reviews or go as far as to say that review are dumb etc in light of all the reviews that are scoring this quite 'low' compared to the hype/expectations for this game. But then the very same people are quick to copy and paste the positive elements of any published reviews. 🙈

Robert807

I had no fun playing this game online. All it was for me was just driving practice lap after practice lab. When I did get into a race my car was in some sort or auto drive for the whole race. When I play online I'm not in no mood to wait 10 minutes between races. Heck I'll only wait 2 minutes at most between races. I actually hate online games. I don't have fun playing games when I know I have no chance at winning. No single player no buy from me. I got Forza 7 anyway. That's good enough for me for my yearly racing game.

Vuci

I think they're pretty damn unreasonable. The game is being criticized for what it's not rather than what it is.

Been playing for 8 hours-ish and just finished the driving school. Yes, there is no traditional career mode, but there is a lot of single player content and I'm enjoying it just as much as Forza 7's offering.

The focus of the game is teaching you how to drive and it does a great job of that. You'll learn from your mistakes and you'll know exactly why you went wide on that corner. why you had so much oversteer on the exit that time etc. People complain about other games not teaching you how to play. but when GT Sport goes above and beyond to do this it's not recognized at all.

The incredible scapes mode and surprisingly good livery editor are ignored while Giant Bomb rants about having to learn about racing etiquette and Gamespot spends a paragraph complaining about TAG Heuer. They create one of the slickest menu systems ever seen in a game and nobody cares, even though they were quick to point out GT5's deficiencies in its user interface.

I am a GB Premium subscriber and watch almost all of their content, but I can't even make myself watch the QL with Jeff. I am already triggered and haven't even seen it.

I am reminded of the 2/5 review Jeff gave to Driveclub.

WoolyNinja

Its funny - reading the posts in this thread I assumed the reviews were bad but really they range from good to excellent which is actually better than I assumed with an online focused racer!

jayu26

Its funny - reading the posts in this thread I assumed the reviews were bad but really they range from good to excellent which is actually better than I assumed with an online focused racer!

Well it is below 80 on metacritic. So, in gamer world that is "very bad". People who are not hardcore about racing games are also feeling left out, so there is that.

Where is the Customization?

Customization is very important in racing games and GTS stalls in this area as well. It would be nice to have the option alter color schemes and other parts of the vehicles you acquire, but it isn't in the game.
Uh, isn't there a livery editor?

I am guessing Forbes contributor review? Do those count on Meta, because my god! At least spend couple of hours with the game.

Snubbers

Of course they are fair, the reviewers have to take into account the game, it's rivals, and the current expectations based on what games are delivering these days.

By the same logic shown in this thread, all reviews I've read lately for a range of games would be unfair.

IMO, GTS reviews are by and large great, If I didn't already have it, it wouldn't have changed my mind, as I sad previously for the things PD delivered, I'd give it 9.5/10, but as a complete game against what else is out there, 8/10 is exceedingly fair,.

It seems odd that so many people think it deserves more. One of its rivals was scoring really well until 'loot boxes', which for me personally have zero impact on my experience of the game, but people like to get all bent out of shape on some theoretical notion about them,but I don't think lowering review scores was unfair, it just doesn't reflect my opinion, in the same way, the reason someone reviews are lower on GTS doesn't change my opinion of it, I know what it is/isn't providing and I'm OK with that

People unhappy with the review scores I can say I understand the opinion. Mainly saying the game online portion is so good that based know that the game should be higher is something I see a lot. It just makes me think what if they put in pretty much the old SP portion of the game as well as the new and improved online portion. Would that have been so hard?

GlamFM

Banned

OK, ok...... I admit, I did not do any research.

I had no idea what this game was and thought it was a way more robust "teaser" of a real GT game.

For some reason I also thought it was 30$.

I was shocked when I watched the QL on GB.

I think the reviews are still too positive.

This should be a mode in a real GT game or it should be called GT Online and cost 20$.

Kaz has his head so far up in his ass that I assume it´s stuck there forever.

He completely lost the plot.

Seems like I wont play any sim racer this year since I gave my XBOX away and I don´t want to play a racing game on my PC. (Jeff also did not like Forza7)

Maybe we´ll get a real GT game in 400 years or something.

Reviews are fair, 4 stars is a good score.

but, it's not an 80% game, probably 80-85.

It's below an 80% game in my opinion, after playing the demo and watching the GB quick look. The game seems like an absolute fucking joke and a really lame direction for the franchise to go in, I don't understand who they made this for.

Top Bottom