• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT 4 |OT| If In Doubt, Flat Out

Three things and a short story:

1. The leaderboards are REALLY short and I think I've chose cross-platform leaderboards (first Joyride has only 3400 entries)
2. There are a lot of entries using just "DiRT Player" as a name. Bug? Pirated version!?? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
3. On some cars you can't setup the rear alignment [Fulvia (FWD) and Ascona (RWD) for example]. Why? I can't think of any car-technical reason for this. Camber and toe are pretty basic stuff. Rear Toe is a somewhat vital in a FWD rally car.

Now the little story:
Drove the Ascona 400 in the career mode, one stage was asphalt, didn't like they handling, fiddled around with as best I could, better bu still didn't like it. I completely destroyed the competition on the highest AI difficulty (or is there one above "tough" later on that can be unlocked? When I started the game, the highest overall game-difficulty preset was locked)) with 23 seconds difference to second place on one of the stages.
Next event was asphalt stages only, I bought the BMW M3 E30 for that, which is in the same group of cars as the Ascona I used before, but a tiny bit lighter and also with 280hp instead of 240hp that the Ascona had. Drove a shakedown and... WOW, that thing felt a LOT faster, lighter and more agile than the Ascona. A bit fidgety through fast sweeping corners, especially off-throttle, dialed that mostly out in the setup and had a go at the stage. I felt I had a really good pace, lots of fun, big smile on my face, one mistake that might have cost me 1-2 seconds or so. I ended up in 17th place! WTF?! A look at the online leaderboards, I was in 94th place in the world (well, these leaderboards are not exactly populated, but I'd say still say I was top 10%). The best time in the world was only 7 seconds faster than the #1 AI time from my split table. It was no different in the next stages of that event or the event after. I ended up finishing the championship in 18th place, which is also the last overall in that class. My sponsors didn't like it.

scrcrw

Yeah, I had the same experience with the E30 M3. Someone also posted in Reddit about it. Something about that car really kicks the AI into overdrive...

Lima

I just unlocked the fearless preset and brutal difficulty. I completed the Rally cross part of the campaign 100%. I assume doing any part of the campaign 100% unlocks it.

I just unlocked the fearless preset and brutal difficulty. I completed the Rally cross part of the campaign 100%. I assume doing any part of the campaign 100% unlocks it.

thanks!! I think I'm gonna finish rally cross half-assed quickly then, just to unlock it and race the rally events with it.

Edit: It's just available as a complete preset?? As soon as I want to change to "H-Pattern + Clutch", it switches from the "fearless" preset back to "custom" without the "brutal" ai available. *head shaking in despair* sure...

KdotIX

Absolutely shit myself doing the Group B weekly community event. Chose the Peugeot 205, on the edge of your seat type of stuff. On the last stage, went really well and was clawing back lost time, then in the last sector, I binned it up a rockface and blew a tyre. Had to change that and cost me 30s. Overall, was 3 seconds out from the Tier 2 bracket.

This game shines with the Rally modes. I feel like Landrush is a bit of a waste. Would much rather have pikes peak or maybe even Dakar Rally.

I've changed my opinion on My track from the first page. I was initially pretty disappointment with it, but now I'm really digging it now that I got further in the career and driving RWD cars like the good lord intended. I still see some copy/pasta segments on the tracks, but the tracks get a lot more complex and interesting. Glad I didn't refund.

Also, if anyone is not liking the very conservative base setups in the RWD cars, soften up your your front anti roll bars and add some front toe in to get more oversteer.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I had a very interesting stage last night where my headlights kept flickering on and off during a dusk race in Australia. After a mile or two my co-driver, right in the middle of some pace notes, blurted out: “is there something wrong with the lights?”, LOL. DiRT 4 has an awful lot of nice little touches like that all throughout the game which make the stages feel much more alive and dynamic than DiRT Rally did. I also had a few Your Stage generated tracks last night which were very fun and quite impressive. It seems like the more I play this game the more it’s impressing me, to the point where the negative aspects are being greatly diminished by the positives.

I now own four cars for my team: a Mini Cooper, a 2001 Subaru Impreza, a 2015 Subaru WRX, and a 1995 Subaru Impreza (yeah I like Subarus!). Soon time to upgrade my garage so I can make room for more, need to fill out a few other classes yet.

This game has me hooked.

I had a very interesting stage last night where my headlights kept flickering on and off during a dusk race in Australia. After a mile or two my co-driver, right in the middle of some pace notes, blurted out: “is there something wrong with the lights?”, LOL. DiRT 4 has an awful lot of nice little touches like that all throughout the game which make the stages feel much more alive and dynamic than DiRT Rally did.

I've had a one that I've never seen anyone mention yet - on one stage the co-driver's voice would sometimes cut to radio static and the graphic for the pacenote would be "?". I love the little random technical troubles.

KdotIX

I've had a one that I've never seen anyone mention yet - on one stage the co-driver's voice would sometimes cut to radio static and the graphic for the pacenote would be "?". I love the little random technical troubles.

I had this too and I thought that was so cool and well done because it still gives you just enough information to guess what your co-driver is trying to say.

Another one I noticed is that there was some kind of issue going up through the gears which meant I struggled to get the power down, to which my co-driver said "I think there's an issue with the gearbox". This lasted for about 3-4 corners then the car was fine again. At the next stage I checked in the Repairs menu and couldn't find an issue - another little gremlin!

Gandie

I had a very interesting stage last night where my headlights kept flickering on and off during a dusk race in Australia. After a mile or two my co-driver, right in the middle of some pace notes, blurted out: “is there something wrong with the lights?”, LOL. DiRT 4 has an awful lot of nice little touches like that all throughout the game which make the stages feel much more alive and dynamic than DiRT Rally did. I also had a few Your Stage generated tracks last night which were very fun and quite impressive. It seems like the more I play this game the more it’s impressing me, to the point where the negative aspects are being greatly diminished by the positives.

I now own four cars for my team: a Mini Cooper, a 2001 Subaru Impreza, a 2015 Subaru WRX, and a 1995 Subaru Impreza (yeah I like Subarus!). Soon time to upgrade my garage so I can make room for more, need to fill out a few other classes yet.

This game has me hooked.

Had a brake issue for half a stage which produced an awful awful noise.

Mengy

The one I hate seeing down the road is when the camera helicopter is hovering low over a turn kicking up dust. I went into a hairpin the other night where I couldn’t see because of the helicopter! Came out of the dust cloud at a bad angle and plowed through a fence, in retrospect I should have slowed down, lol.

I hit a low flying drone last night too, poor thing!

The best thing about all of these sweet little obstructions is that you never know what’s coming due to the stage generator. Sure DiRT Rally had some stuff like this but they were fixed in place and once you knew the tracks predictable. In DiRT 4 you’re never sure what to expect, and man I love that aspect to this game.

Lima

The drone thing I hated at first and put it off because it seemed like such a Dirt mainline game trying to do but then I saw real world footage on YT that was posted yesterday here I believe. I almost couldn't believe it.

The drone was at the start of one of the DiRT Rally stages too.

Edit:

The Lancia 037 Evo 2... the FFB is lower than in other cars, but look at how amazing the rear can sweep through these turns:
DiRT4%2B-%2BSun-Sweeper.gif

side note: this game is damn beautiful

RX J-Turn:
dirt4-rxj-turno2ug0.gif

Crash331

Anyone know why this doesn't support Fanatec wheels?

I know Sony locked out the wheels unless they have some kind of chip in them, but I thought that was only required for first party games. My wheel works with Dirt Rally and Dirt Rally VR, but not with Dirt 4.

Loving this game so far, really good career progression and I'm finding it slightly more accessible than Dirt Rally (mainly because I'm not good enough).

Can't seem to find an option to share tracks from freeplay or see my friends tracks. It's probably obvious, but I can't see it. Anyone?

If anyone plays on PS4, add me. My PSN name is "bubaglobalj". I only have one other friend who plays Dirt4 and it's fun to toggle the leaderboard to "friends". By the way, I am pretty terrible, so it won't be hard to beat me ;).

Picked this up on PC and I am really really enjoying my time with it. Great racing and the team management aspect of the game is a welcome addition to the series.

Mengy

A bit stretched because my monitor is 16:10, but this track was so good that I felt that I should record it. https://youtu.be/9UVNrMTKk5U

Yeah, I do admit that the stages do not have the minute graphical detailing that made DiRT Rally's tracks so memorable, BUT I am really loving the fact that every stage I race is unknown to me. DiRT 4's stages are damn fun, and I think a lot of that is due to that unknown factor that makes each and every race something new and exciting.

For all the rally games I own, DiRT 4 is the only one that has ever provided that feeling of constant freshness. I think it's a bigger deal than I thought it would be before I bought the game.

DD

Yeah, I do admit that the stages do not have the minute graphical detailing that made DiRT Rally's tracks so memorable, BUT I am really loving the fact that every stage I race is unknown to me. DiRT 4's stages are damn fun, and I think a lot of that is due to that unknown factor that makes each and every race something new and exciting.

For all the rally games I own, DiRT 4 is the only one that has ever provided that feeling of constant freshness. I think it's a bigger deal than I thought it would be before I bought the game.
Speaking of freshness, only today I decided to try the cross-karts, and holy f****, they're so much fun!

The only one available is the one I already have.

Really? Did you click over it? Pehaps it's something to do with improving your facilities? D:

I'm havin trouble gittin gud with the rear wheel buggie handling. I swear to goodness even when I don't stear (as in keep the analog stick neutral/not even touch it) nor press the accelerator - it'll turn hard on its own. I'm playin Simulation mode and I make sure never to press the accelerator while turning at the same time. Definitely tryin my best not to give the buggie any reason to overstear. Oversteering still happens quitely frequently though. I've finished as high as second place in landrush with the RWD buggie.

Any tips on how to overcome this vehicle?

DD

I'm havin trouble gittin gud with the rear wheel buggie handling. I swear to goodness even when I don't stear (as in keep the analog stick neutral/not even touch it) nor press the accelerator - it'll turn hard on its own. I'm playin Simulation mode and I make sure never to press the accelerator while turning at the same time. Definitely tryin my best not to give the buggie any reason to overstear. Oversteering still happens quitely frequently though. I've finished as high as second place in landrush with the RWD buggie.

Any tips on how to overcome this vehicle?

Have you tried to break earlier and smoothly?

I'm havin trouble gittin gud with the rear wheel buggie handling. I swear to goodness even when I don't stear (as in keep the analog stick neutral/not even touch it) nor press the accelerator - it'll turn hard on its own.
Well that sucks... sounds like bumpsteer from the uneven track. Without FFB it's hard to know when to counter. Usually non-hardcore sims have built-in controller aid if that level of feedback would become necessary.

I'm playin Simulation mode and I make sure never to press the accelerator while turning at the same time.
The weight is at the front when you're not accelerating because of engine braking and drag. In addition to that, when you're turning in, this "forcing the car off its natural straight line course" is decelerating it => more weight shift to the front => more grip at the front => more oversteer (at least if your steered angle is higher than what would be needed in a perfectly balanced car). You barely notice it in normal cars, but try to re-balance the car by smoothly applying a little throttle in the corners.
I'm not saying this is the right and fast way, but if you just don't want to spin all the time, that's the way to go I think.

If it's all no good, maybe post again and we'll try to give you car setup tips.

DD

Well that sucks... sounds like bumpsteer from the uneven track. Without FFB it's hard to know when to counter. Usually non-hardcore sims have built-in controller aid if that level of feedback would become necessary.

The weight is at the front when you're not accelerating because of engine braking and drag. In addition to that, when you're turning in, this "forcing the car off its natural straight line course" is decelerating it => more weight shift to the front => more grip at the front => more oversteer (at least if your steered angle is higher than what would be needed in a perfectly balanced car). You barely notice it in normal cars, but try to re-balance the car by smoothly applying a little throttle in the corners.
I'm not saying this is the right and fast way, but if you just don't want to spin all the time, that's the way to go I think.

If it's all no good, maybe post again and we'll try to give you car setup tips.
I think that with the engine being on the back, there's some inertia happening there too, kind of like with Porsche 911s.

DD

drotahorror

Actually, I've never tested this. What if you don't stop by the Marshall in time?

I think you quoted the wrong person but this morning I sort of tested it. After the race was over, which I had lost badly, I decided to just run off road and try to wreck into the bystanders. Nothing happened.

Top Bottom