• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA's Juno Mission |OT| Now in orbit around Jupiter - New images released (9/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
uNWwgmf.png

Updates:

Links:

Juno's principal goal is to understand the origin and evolution of Jupiter. Underneath its dense cloud cover, Jupiter safeguards secrets to the fundamental processes and conditions that governed our solar system during its formation. As our primary example of a giant planet, Jupiter can also provide critical knowledge for understanding the planetary systems being discovered around other stars.

With its suite of science instruments, Juno will investigate the existence of a solid planetary core, map Jupiter's intense magnetic field, measure the amount of water and ammonia in the deep atmosphere, and observe the planet's auroras.

Juno will let us take a giant step forward in our understanding of how giant planets form and the role these titans played in putting together the rest of the solar system.

Mission Timeline:

• Launch - August 5, 2011
  • Deep Space Maneuvers - August/September 2012
  • Earth flyby gravity assist - October 2013
  • Jupiter arrival - July 4th 2016
  • Spacecraft will orbit Jupiter for 20 months (37 orbits)
  • End of mission (deorbit into Jupiter) - February 2018

The mission will specifically look to:

• Determine how much water is in Jupiter's atmosphere, which helps determine which planet formation theory is correct (or if new theories are needed)
  • Look deep into Jupiter's atmosphere to measure composition, temperature, cloud motions and other properties
  • Map Jupiter's magnetic and gravity fields, revealing the planet's deep structure
  • Explore and study Jupiter's magnetosphere near the planet's poles, especially the auroras – Jupiter's northern and southern lights – providing new insights about how the planet's enormous magnetic force field affects its atmosphere.

The spacecraft:

Juno's scientific payload includes:

• A gravity/radio science system (Gravity Science)
  • A six-wavelength microwave radiometer for atmospheric sounding and composition (MWR)
  • A vector magnetometer (MAG)
  • Plasma and energetic particle detectors (JADE and JEDI)
  • A radio/plasma wave experiment (Waves)
  • An ultraviolet imager/spectrometer (UVS)
  • An infrared imager/spectrometer (JIRAM)

The spacecraft will also carry a color camera, called JunoCam, to provide the public with the first detailed glimpse of Jupiter's poles.

Fun facts:
  • First discovered in 7th or 8th century BC.
  • Jupiter is named after the king of the Roman gods.
  • Juno is named after Jupiter's wife.
  • Juno stands for "JUpiter Near-polar Orbiter"
  • Mass: 1.90 × 10^27 kg (318 Earths)
  • Orbit Period: 4,333 days (11.9 years)
  • Jupiter has the shortest day of all the planets. It turns on its axis once every 9 hours and 55 minutes.

Comparison to Earth:

Camera sample:

10 hour days? Whoa, I didn't know that. That puts surface velocity at ~25,000 miles per hour! Wow. If the Earth rotated that fast, our day would be an hour long.

cirrhosis

Really looking forward to see if we get examinations of the core. I completely forgot about this mission until now but I'm really excited about hearing how it proceeds.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
10 hour days? Whoa, I didn't know that. That puts surface velocity at ~25,000 miles per hour! Wow. If the Earth rotated that fast, our day would be an hour long.

Venus is still nuttier to me. A wonderful world where a day is longer than a year.

Hopefully we get some neat info out of this.

MrBigBoy

I loved the thread from the Pluto flyby. Seeing the first pictures come in was just amazing!

Can't wait for the first pictures of Juno.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
One week away!

Also:

As darkness falls on July 1, look west for stunningly bright Jupiter, the largest planet in the solar system. The gas giant will put on a fine display until midnight, when it sets in the west.

ced

Awesome.

Maybe I missed it but did they not put an amazing camera on this thing to at least get some good photography?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got to visit the Lockheed Martin plan in Colorado a few years ago and saw a replica of one of the solar panels. Thing is absolutely massive.

RoKKeR

Love following stuff like this, the prospect of learning more about our solar system is so exciting.

Can somebody explain this series of events to me?

Launch - August 5, 2011
Deep Space Maneuvers - August/September 2012
Earth flyby gravity assist - October 2013

NR1

Juno won't take time to look at any of Jupiter's moons? No Europa flyby? Seems like a wasted opportunity given the time invested getting the spacecraft there.

Love following stuff like this, the prospect of learning more about our solar system is so exciting.

Can somebody explain this series of events to me?

If memory serves me correctly, deep space is the best place to manuver the craft into positions so that after it uses gravity from earth to boost its speed with a flyby it uses the least amount of fuel possible to stay on course.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So excited about this. Jupiter and the other gas giants have always been mysteries to me, I can't wait to know more about it.

Xe4

Banned
Yo, oh my god I forgot about this. Get Hyyyyypppppeee!!!

I'm so glad we're getting another sattilite around Jupiter after Galileo tapped out.

Hopefully we can get something around Uranus and Neptune one day.

What time on the 4th should we know if the first orbit is successful?

Edit: Also, I know that this is primarily a non-visual mission, but how's the camera on Juno? Will we be getting the best photos to date of Jupiter as well?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What time on the 4th should we know if the first orbit is successful?

Edit: Also, I know that this is primarily a non-visual mission, but how's the camera on Juno? Will we be getting the best photos to date of Jupiter as well?

I think a little after 11pm eastern.

It took these images during it's fly-by of Earth. Gives you a rough idea:

Parch

I know that this is primarily a non-visual mission
Yeah, I'm sure we'll get some new pictures, but this trip is mainly for some get close experiments.
We've already had the tourist photos from other missions. Now it's time for some serious science. The visuals might be a little disappointing.

Chichikov

pls don't tell me that's the best it can do
Reading about the camera and Juno's orbit it seems like it would be able to get up to 9km per pixel, which I believe would be the most detailed picture of Jupiter we ever got (couldn't find a definitive answer for this, but New Horizon got to 11km per pixel).

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
pls don't tell me that's the best it can do

There's a limit to what they can send for a variety of reasons, but a lot of it stems from the fact that taking picture of Jupiter of pretty low priority science wise; whether it be power consumption, space and weight, bandwidth use, etc., there will be much more pressing uses for Juno's time. It's also, like pointed out above, rather 'old' camera wise (from a consumer's perspective)

Also, the magnetosphere of Jupiter will cause serious harm to the camera so it won't survive too many orbits, so its probably not idea to send something more fragile but higher res.

Reading about the camera and Juno's orbit it seems like it would be able to get up to 9km per pixel, which I believe would be the most detailed picture of Jupiter we ever got (couldn't find a definitive answer for this, but New Horizon got to 11km per pixel).

Of Jupiter only, I think. Wikipedia gives a source for 15 km/pixel at best, but that the field of view is too wide to resolve images of the moons.

jett

D-Member

The camera is five years old at this point.

Maybe it will still take some cool pictures regardless.

There's a limit to what they can send for a variety of reasons, but a lot of it stems from the fact that taking picture of Jupiter of pretty low priority science wise; whether it be power consumption, space and weight, bandwidth use, etc., there will be much more pressing uses for Juno's time. It's also, like pointed out above, rather 'old' camera wise (from a consumer's perspective)

Also, the magnetosphere of Jupiter will cause serious harm to the camera so it won't survive too many orbits, so its probably not idea to send something more fragile but higher res.

Honestly, I hadn't realized how much radiation Jupiter gives off. Juno will endure 20 million rad over the course of the mission. Apparently they calculate that the camera will last around 8 orbits.

And I get that scientists don't care much about pretty pictures, but it's what gets people like me interested heh. :p

Jupiter scares me.

The planet, the Jovians (Conquest Earth), or gas giant dreamspiders?

"I see. I see. I see."

I've never ever played that game yet I remember it because the setup was perfectly plausible. Which is kind of a unicorn in game stories. So obviously I will be looking at this thing with great interest.
it's mostly just going to be boring spectrometer graphs since you can't actually see shit while in clouds. Glorious data, but horribly boring to look at and deal with. We might get some cool pictures from the orbiting part though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom