• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear White People |OT| Bet You Think The Show Is About You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished watching the first episode. Feels weird, it's sort of like a follow up on the end of the movie while also redoing some events. Curious to see how it continues.

Surfinn

This is getting quite the praise, gonna try it out.

Lol at those IMDB scores and reviews.

Surprised this thread is only at 3 pages

caliph95

yep. I Am Not Your Negro got trashed on metacritic user scores because of the white reddit/4chan Klan.
Metacritic user scores are the most useless things ever, they always get brigaded by fanboys and assholes it's worse when there is some sort of outrage or controversy. At least imdb tries to remove ratings like this

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Holy shit this is fucking fantastic

Show really isnt militant at all, three episodes in and almost all major characters so far are craving some form of White acceptance. If Conservatives werent such snowflakes, theyd be flattered by the underlying premise that reaching out to White society is still worth Black folks time & energy.

Show really isnt militant at all, three episodes in and almost all major characters so far are craving some form of White acceptance. If Conservatives werent such snowflakes, theyd be flattered by the underlying premise that reaching out to White society is still worth Black folks time & energy.

Yep.

For those wondering, the show isnt preachy at all either

Sotha Sil

It's really good. Many lines sound like they're taken straight out of pamphlets, which can be a bit jarring at times, but I love the themes, acting, narrative structure and overall production. It doubles as an intersectionality 101, which will certainly be educational for many.

Sunster

Gabe was wrong for putting her out there like that when they haven't even dtr'd. But wild how the black caucus reacted. How realistic was their response?

lord

The downgrade of the fro character's and the radio lady's actors were pretty jarring at first but they grew on me by the middle of the season. It was a very entertaining, funny and well written. Hope we'll get a second season.

It's really good. Many lines sound like they're taken straight out of pamphlets, which can be a bit jarring at times, but I love the themes, acting, narrative structure and overall production. It doubles as an intersectionality 101, which will certainly be educational for many.

I didnt like the #hashtag dialogue either, people dont speak in instagram and twitter captions in real life.

Gabe was wrong for putting her out there like that when they haven't even dtr'd. But wild how the black caucus reacted. How realistic was their response?

It's not realistic at all because this is a tv show, but it works in the context of this show because of who Sam is.

is this season just an adaptation of the movie or does the plot of the entire season go beyond that?

It's... sort of a sequel? The show starts out post-black face party, but a couple of the plot threads from the movie don't show up until later in the series.

all those white people were upset about this show but it really wasn't FOR them. surprisingly enough cause I felt the movie was for them.

like other than the annoying white boyfriend there was little to none white centeredness in the show. and the plot and characters can actually stand on their own without constantly quipping satirically about white people. ( and don't get me wrong I enjoy that)

I had my doubts but I'll recant. super great show, blew my expectations out the water

Main reason I have no interest in this show, the film was trash that I feel is for white people, which makes sense since the title is literally a formal greeting directed at white people. I really have no interest in watching the annoying main character realize that she really does love white boys as her primary character arc, it's such a trash character arc I could never see myself watching that continuing narrative as a show

Cyanity

Banned
Main reason I have no interest in this show, the film was trash that I feel is for white people, which makes sense since the title is literally a formal greeting directed at white people. I really have no interest in watching the annoying main character realize that she really does love white boys as her primary character arc, it's such a trash character arc I could never see myself watching that continuing narrative as a show

Jeeze, did this show crap in your cereal or what...?

Calion

i enjoyed the first episode, but the writing felt like a tug of war between actual millennials and much older writers.

"Let's make em say "#_____" during typical conversation atleast 3 times in the first episode"

Ugh.

Alienfan

The trailers looked average, but 3 episodes in and I'm loving it. The show does a good job covering a lot of complex racial issues that this ignorant fool has little knowledge about, as well as sexuality and gender problems. Sam's actress is fantastic, I hope we see her in stuff after this. Netflix have been on an absolute roll casting wise, Stranger Things, 13 Reasons and now DWP.

is this season just an adaptation of the movie or does the plot of the entire season go beyond that?

it goes beyond.

I enjoyed this more than the movie, and I really liked the movie. There's some real moments. Made me shed a tear a few times.

I saw this was up at 5:30 in the morn on friday, saw a few eps, then decided to binge watch the entire thing right then.

Is the movie militant?

Yes. Metacritc has actual reviewer scores in addition to user scores.
OK, I know the only MC number worth looking at is the critics but I didn't know how IMDB handles it too. Seeing the IMDB score and knowing what show it is sadly made me think it was user score generated. I was right. Yay.

Infinite

This is the reason why I wasn't feeling the movie and probably won't be feeling the show either

highrider

Banned
I couldn't make it through more than the first 15 minutes. It seems like a standard portrayal of standard racial tropes ( clueless rich whites, the intelligent blacks forced to deal with their insensitivity and stupidity ) that aren't anything new or interesting, at least not to me. Which isn't to say it's bad, but I guess I was expecting a different perspective.

Although, I am older and not college educated. It seems like it speaks to a more specific experience and age group.

Deepwater

I didnt like the #hashtag dialogue either, people dont speak in instagram and twitter captions in real life.

.....okay

4AjNiWi.gif

I couldn't make it through more than the first 15 minutes. It seems like a standard portrayal of standard racial tropes ( clueless rich whites, the intelligent blacks forced to deal with their insensitivity and stupidity ) that aren't anything new or interesting, at least not to me. Which isn't to say it's bad, but I guess I was expecting a different perspective.

Although, I am older and not college educated. It seems like it speaks to a more specific experience and age group.

LOL You had your mind made up before watching it.

Deepwater

As someone is only a year removed from undergrad PWI (albeit not at an ivy, although I have friends and family who are/were), I do want to clarify that a lot of the characterizations and situations were spot-freaking-on.

And for people complaining about the character's ever lasting focus on white people and supremacy, I could tell that the show was really a satire towards today college students. It's not a flaw from the filmmaking, that's actually how a lot of black college student are, especially since 2014

The original movie was made in 2013, so it missed the Ferguson shift by several months. Even though I felt the movie could have been a better film in general, the series gains a lot from the evolving culture shift of BSUs post 2014. As someone who started college in 2012 and finished in 2016, the differences are extra illuminating because I was in school in both eras.

The cliquishness between black student groups? Check
Gathering in the student lounge on Thursdays to watch Scandal? Check
Speaking in hashtags? Check (yes that actually happened/happens)
The sort of blind activism that Sam and her friends go through without any thought to getting tangible results? Check.
The trendiness of being "unapologetically black"? Check
Black kids arriving to college not know who they black ass is from the next but two years later are blackity black black? Check.
OH, and the token female asian friend? I bout died laughing cause its so true

Like, all the subtleties were there. The series is everything I wanted from the movie.

Micael

Just finished watching the season, and shame about the super forced moments in episode 5 and 10, it could have been done so much better, also some of the story arcs were pretty shallow.

Episode 5 ending was just so insanely telegraphed, white boy crazy overreacting, shy reporter pulling his phone out with a close up shot, and ofc all the coincidences, like someone bumping into the guys that were arguing so they would hit each other to start a fight, and cops getting there in just a few moments from the call, not to mention pulling out a gun in the middle of a room filled with people, most of them white no less.

The end of episode 10 was slightly better but yet again still pretty expected, not to mention once again the cops were acting in a pretty unrealistic fashion, I mean seriously not only was the situation more than handled, but pulling a gun out that you could possibly only ever point into the direction of your colleagues (and one assumes friends) would be completely insane, this before one even takes into account the angry mob behind you.

Carcetti

Damn, white people are really fragile. Heard so much whining on the net, hadn't seen the movie or the trailers but watched an episode yesterday and ended up binging up 5 episodes in row. Great series, love the way they open up each character. Also, I'm white.

Deepwater

Just finished watching the season, and shame about the super forced moments in episode 5 and 10, it could have been done so much better, also some of the story arcs were pretty shallow.

Episode 5 ending was just so insanely telegraphed, white boy crazy overreacting, shy reporter pulling his phone out with a close up shot, and ofc all the coincidences, like someone bumping into the guys that were arguing so they would hit each other to start a fight, and cops getting there in just a few moments from the call, not to mention pulling out a gun in the middle of a room filled with people, most of them white no less.

The end of episode 10 was slightly better but yet again still pretty expected, not to mention once again the cops were acting in a pretty unrealistic fashion, I mean seriously not only was the situation more than handled, but pulling a gun out that you could possibly only ever point into the direction of your colleagues (and one assumes friends) would be completely insane, this before one even takes into account the angry mob behind you.

lol @ you thinking any of that was unrealistic.

GKnight

Banned
lol @ you thinking any of that was unrealistic.

Hard to see it as someone from Canada, as University police here do not have guns (why would they? If they need them they can call the real police). If Harvard/Columbia and the like police have guns that's pretty ridiculous IMO. In Canada Special Constables of any kind don't carry guns, although I'm aware this is an American show.

Deepwater

Hard to see it as someone from Canada, as University police here do not have guns (why would they? If they need them they can call the real police). If Harvard/Columbia and the like police have guns that's pretty ridiculous IMO. In Canada Special Constables of any kind don't carry guns, although I'm aware this is an American show.

I would say most if not all american campus police carry guns with them, as their jurisdiction tends to be the campus (which for some schools can be basically mini cities), and they act as law enforcement for the school. Especially after things like the VA Tech shooting among others, police here definitely have guns. Which SHOULD only be used when responding to blatantly dangerous and violent situations, not fucking house parties.

I mean, you can easily google cases of campus PD pulling guns on black students, that cops quick escalation did not seem out of place at all to me. But I'm black, so...

Micael

The thing is that it isn't just "oh its an american thing", because it isn't, it's a "holy shit that is a fucking strange chain of events, that all culminated in an insanely stupid course of action", there is no denying that there is a pretty alarming amount of coincidences happening to make these things start like I described, and then it gets followed up by absolutely insane decisions, like
Pulling a gun in the middle of a room filled with 20 year olds, if you shot someone there is literally a very good chance your bullet would hit someone else, this course of action is so insanely stupid that it goes well well well beyond the "I am a racist douchebag" territory, especially when the person that pulls the weapon has a cop partner near him that does absolutely nothing. Also btw it took like 1 minute and half for cops to get from where they were to inside the house, that is crazy quick
, the second even is a bit less of a stretch but still I got to assume that
pulling a weapon that puts your partners and probably friends in the line of fire is also not a particularly common course of action even among racist asshole cops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom