• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Nintendo Switch cartridge dumps (ROMs) released

Vena

Yep. I have a second brand new switch sitting in my closet that I bought for no real reason. Think I'll just let it sit. Maybe it'll pay off in a year or so.

Probably a good way to future proof against firmware updates that will inevitably patch kernel holes/hooks.

AllenShrz

Well, its over before it began.

I remember a thread in which Nintendo said would pay dimes and cents for privately disclosing vulnerabilities....

Cheap out in security is extremely expensive.

For the record the Wii U was broken open in one month but didn't become hackable until 2015 and not to a user friendly extent until 2016 - 3DS took about a year and a half if we look at public information but piracy was only possible in a BS fashion two years later, homebrew shortly after in the same form, which kept up all the way until late 2014 in which custom stuff could be loaded without the usage of a DRM bullshit method (you know what I'm talking about if you were aware back then) and not until late 2015 that 3DS homebrew became remotely popular. With all of that said, the progress that's already been made is staggering however I don't expect any public release simply due to how easy piracy is to enable with such little access particularly on Nintendo consoles and I know the guys behind these hacks aren't stupid. Expect news at the 34c3, it will be interesting to see if they think a Switch homebrew community is worth the cost of piracy this early on. Failoverflow were all about Linux and didn't see the point in game hacking or other things while the 3DS group is a lot more open to that and they may surprise us.

Vena

For the record the Wii U was broken open in one month but didn't become hackable until 2015 and not to a user friendly extent until 2016 - 3DS took about a year and a half if we look at public information but piracy was only possible in a BS fashion two years later, homebrew shortly after in the same form, which kept up all the way until late 2014 in which custom stuff could be loaded without the usage of a DRM bullshit method (you know what I'm talking about if you were aware back then) and not until late 2015 that 3DS homebrew became remotely popular. With all of that said, the progress that's already been made is staggering however I don't expect any public release simply due to how easy piracy is to enable with such little access particularly on Nintendo consoles and I know the guys behind these hacks aren't stupid. Expect news at the 34c3, it will be interesting to see if they think a Switch homebrew community is worth the cost of piracy this early on. Failoverflow were all about Linux and didn't see the point in game hacking or other things while the 3DS group is a lot more open to that and they may surprise us.

This is technically slow by Nintendo's security standards. :p

That said, we need to see more on trustzone access before we can really see any real work done.

if that allows online game cheaters someday I hope Nintendo permabans their accounts and renders their console useless via an emp backfeed command.

13ruce

Banned
if that allows online game cheaters someday I hope Nintendo permabans their accounts and renders their console useless via an emp backfeed command.

If they can track that people use pirated games online ban them from online playing forever console wise even if they make new Nintendo accounts.

If it's possible ofcourse to track such a thing.

Ombala

If I could use emulators on Switch alongside the maybe 5 exlusive Switch games I would want this gen that would be a great selling point for me tbh.

duckroll

I asked this one that icons Smash mod and ill ask it here as well.

The people behind this are obviously incredibly talented. Why don't they put their knowledge and energy to good use and do/make something themselves AND make money from it?

They can do that and still do this. Talented people do lots of things. Doesn't have to be either or. Deal with it.

Dingens

[...] However, if Nintendo refuses to give us an option to back up saves, what other option we have?

So is this going to be the official justification for homebrew/piracy on switch going forward?
I love how the community keeps moving that goal post to make them feel better about themselves.

duckroll

So is this going to be the official justification for homebrew/piracy on switch going forward?
I love how the community keeps moving that goal post to make them feel better about themselves.

There doesn't need to be any justification. Homebrew is about messing with stuff you bought. No one should ever support taking that right away. If you're on the side of shit like the DMCA just because you fear for your favorite megacorp getting their precious digital toys pirated, you're on the wrong side. Simple as that.

liquidtmd

Banned
There doesn't need to be any justification. Homebrew is about messing with stuff you bought. No one should ever support taking that right away. If you're on the side of shit like the DMCA just because you fear for your favorite megacorp getting their precious digital toys pirated, you're on the wrong side. Simple as that.

You're kinda right in that justification isn't required at all but your tone is all shades wrong.

That's not why many, many people get pissed at piracy at all and it's infuriating that tones like this get thrown in at people.

It's only a few steps above 'calm down snowflakes'

Koren

The more I think about it the more I want it emulation on the Switch would be awesome and a huge selling point itself and I can't think of other stuff Homebrew could offer
A browser (and save backups)... That's two things that should have been available in official firmwares. Though I know I'll probably never install CFW on my consoles...

big_z

The scariest thing about this is that they are not normal cartridge ROMs, but the hackers have already decrypted the contents and posted those in way that they hide the unique identifier that cartridges have.

sounds like the switch roms are similar to the 3DS as well. makes me think well see a gateway like flash cart out or announced before years end.

Im surprised Nintendo was dumb enough to build the switch on the 3DS OS. 3DS did well keeping piracy at bay for years but has had its bones picked clean since. Don't build off a broken foundation.

Mendrox

I asked this one that icons Smash mod and ill ask it here as well.

The people behind this are obviously incredibly talented. Why don't they put their knowledge and energy to good use and do/make something themselves AND make money from it?

Many of them still study or this is just something they do in their free time because they are interested in the tech and software itself. You act like they do nothing else all day. These people have enough gigs running.

duckroll

You're kinda right in that justification isn't required at all but your tone is all shades wrong.

That's not why many, many people get pissed at piracy at all and it's infuriating that tones like this get thrown in at people.

It's only a few steps above 'calm down snowflakes'

Getting pissed at piracy is one thing, getting pissed at homebrew by automatically equating it to piracy and demonizing any support or interest in homebrew is another thing entirely.

I'd be putting CFW on my Switch as soon as the emulators are of good quality. Could the Switch handle Dolphin?

Im shocked at how fast they ripped the carts. The skills of hackers never cease to amaze me.

and as some of them have reported, the Switch OS is based on the 3DS one, making things easier.

Is there actually any further evidence of this before everyone starts to take it as fact? The licenses section on the Switch OS clearly states that the kernel is FreeBSD. Many libraries and services also come from elsewhere.

duckroll

In case there was any misunderstanding, I don't support piracy, I don't think people are entitled to pirate, and I certainly think companies are free to protect themselves from piracy as they see fit. I just don't like seeing consumers essentially shame other consumers over trying to get the most out of stuff they bought by taking it apart and playing around with it, just because of concerns of piracy. It's very silly to me.

tolkir

In case there was any misunderstanding, I don't support piracy, I don't think people are entitled to pirate, and I certainly think companies are free to protect themselves from piracy as they see fit. I just don't like seeing consumers essentially shame other consumers over trying to get the most out of stuff they bought by taking it apart and playing around with it, just because of concerns of piracy. It's very silly to me.

Main problem is that Nintendo doesn't know how to stop this, and we lose features like back up saves and web browser due to piracy/homebrew fear.

Probably these people pays the frustation with homebrew lovers instead Nintendo.

liquidtmd

Banned

The only slight thing I sometimes struggle to reconcile in my own mind is that in terms of methodology and motive, pirates ultimately don't care of the rational. Developments in methods to enable homebrew over the years and often gone hand in hand in enabling pirates to use copied software for free. One person's preservation effort is another person's 'woop, free stuff'.

However equally I certainly agree it's not for the homebrew community to justify themselves, it's for the pirates - it's just unfortunate that's something that will never happen but that's on them.

The only thing why I would use hacks or mods or a CF would be to unlock the full power that the switch uses in docked mode for the handheld mode.
I don't care about a warm console or active fan, I just want to use the full power if I want to. Options are the key here.

Occam

The biggest compromise is the complete NAND flash dump.

It has been hacked. Several times, in many ways. There just isn't any decent stuff put out in the public.
PS4 is so hacked that it's possible to install Linux and play Steam games.

Again, you can't pirate individual PS4 games, which was what I meant. I should have been more specific. There aren't any decrypted PS4 game dumps, either.

Anyway, my original point was simply that allowing USB save backup isn't harmful, and there is no reason for Switch not to have it.

Shahadan

The only thing why I would use hacks or mods or a CF would be to unlock the full power that the switch uses in docked mode for the handheld mode.
I don't care about a warm console or active fan, I just want to use the full power if I want to. Options are the key here.

I don't think you'd really want to hold that thing in your hands for very long, and I think the console won't like the added heat of your body either. Not to mention the screen displaying shit it's not supposed to on top of that.

L.O.R.D

after seeing what nintendo could do with CFW users on 3DS and how easy they can ban CFW users,i would buy a separate switch only for homebrews and missing with my games.

Vena

sounds like the switch roms are similar to the 3DS as well. makes me think well see a gateway like flash cart out or announced before years end.

Im surprised Nintendo was dumb enough to build the switch on the 3DS OS. 3DS did well keeping piracy at bay for years but has had its bones picked clean since. Don't build off a broken foundation.

Some of you have some crazy imaginations.

Scum

Some of you have some crazy imaginations.
FFMmr.gif

Dingens

[...] I just don't like seeing consumers essentially shame other consumers over trying to get the most out of stuff they bought by taking it apart and playing around with it, just because of concerns of piracy. It's very silly to me.

I was merely pointing out the blatant hypocrisy that comes with the subject. Every time homebrew becomes possible on system, honest homebrew users justify its necessity with some sort of hurdle they need to overcome - and yes, they DO try to justify it, otherwise there was no reason to mention the reason for why they need homebrew at all.

In the past, the argument went like "we need homebrew because software not tied to account" or "we need homebrew because not region-free" (the one I agree with), or "we need homebrew so I can dump my game to play it digitally because I can't buy digitally since no account system" and so on. There has always been a reason, some pretence people cling to to make it easier for them to support the use of some modification that ALWAYS comes with a lot of drawbacks for everyone - not only piracy (with its far reaching consequences) but also, as mentioned in this thread, cheating.

[...] If you're on the side of shit like the DMCA just because you fear for your favorite megacorp getting their precious digital toys pirated, you're on the wrong side. Simple as that.

now that's just silly. I don't give a crap if "my favourite megacorp" get's pirated. I, however, give a crap if this effects my enjoyment of the product I bought, for example if online play becomes unusable thanks to cheating, or if the amount of localized titles dries up like it happened towards the end of the DS' life in Europe.

Vena

Hum... seems the dumps came from a sell-out or compromised idler in one of the groups (a lot of unhappy finger pointing going on right now), and the scene's not happy about it.

If this goes badly, expect the scene to potentially close up and hide details unlike previously. Most of these guys are good guys who don't condone piracy, but whoever dumped the ROMS definitely wasn't playing along with the rest of the scene. Its basically poisoned the well to some of these groups in the past 24-hours with a spike in piracy expectations from people who have no idea what is going on and just want to pirate.

So in short, if you want to cause a scene to tank/stall: steal another group's method and dump the ROMs.

Vena

Do the ROMS taste horrible too

Well these dumps are actually really... well, dumb. They are exefs and romfs dumps which basically means they just dumped the unencrypted game data and nothing else. To the scene guys who actually care about preventing piracy, ya these things would taste horrible.

A really half-assed dump which does make me think its a bad-apple in the scene and its going to cause a lot of purging/internal review. They give the scene a bad look.

At the end of the day, this isn't something that helps piracy but the method in which this was dumped suggests someone who is after it, potentially for monetary gain *coughgatewaycough*, or just really stupid and after fame.

zelas

Well these dumps are actually really... well, dumb. They are exefs and romfs dumps which basically means they just dumped the unencrypted game data and nothing else. To the scene guys who actually care about preventing piracy, ya these things would taste horrible.

A really half-assed dump which does make me think its a bad-apple in the scene and its going to cause a lot of purging/internal review. They give the scene a bad look.

At the end of the day, this isn't something that helps piracy but the method in which this was dumped suggests someone who is after it, potentially for monetary gain *coughgatewaycough*, or just really stupid and after fame.

You are REALLY taking this personal.

Top Bottom