• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Nintendo Switch cartridge dumps (ROMs) released

Occam

So backing up my save will require an Nintendo Online subscription?

Sony lets you back up your PS4 saves to USB drive, and they haven't been hacked like Nintendo.

Indeed. There is no sane reason not to allow backing up saves to USB. No idea why Nintendo didn't listen to any of the criticisms regarding Wii U's saves which were console-locked as well.

Console locked saves are terrible, and there is no excuse in this day and age.

NSESN

Man I would like a pokemon game without hacked monsters for once. Whey hacker don't want me to be happy.

I really hope these hackers have a hard time. Hopefully nothing operational for at est 2,3 years.

Giolon

The scariest thing about this is that they are not normal cartridge ROMs, but the hackers have already decrypted the contents and posted those in way that they hide the unique identifier that cartridges have.

What's this about cartridges and unique identifiers? Every individual cartridge has some unique value that can be read by the system?

Allowing backup saves on USB wouldn't prevent hackers from dumping ROMS and OS kernels. They'd do it either way, just like they always have.

This is a problem that goes to the heart of Nintendo's security engineering team. They're the ones who messed up - AGAIN.

And modded Switch's should be the LEAST of your worries. If the OS kernel is dumped and not encrypted, you better worry about Switch Emulators running on PCs and other devices that Nintendo doesn't make a dime off of.

So backing up my save will require an Nintendo Online subscription?

Who knows? Maybe? They may introduce some encryption-dependent method for local backup. That kind of thing usually gets broken, though.

Sony lets you back up your PS4 saves to USB drive, and they haven't been hacked like Nintendo.

First, someone earlier in the thread mentioned that the PS4 had been hacked already. I don't follow that scene so I don't know.

Second, Nintendo isn't Sony or Microsoft. I know that's a trite response but they do not operate like the other companies and never have. They do whatever the hell they want and you can bet it will take longer and be more obtuse than what the other companies would have done. Constantly comparing them to the other guys or trying to make sense out of their decisions based on standard industry practices is an exercise in futility. IMO, you either buy into their system and just hang on for the ride or you don't get on board. Complaining is pointless with Nintendo. They won't bend to online pressure like other companies will. It often sucks but people should know what they are getting into with the "Big N".

Atheerios

What's this about cartridges and unique identifiers? Every individual cartridge has some unique value that can be read by the system?
Yes. That also happened for Wii U and 3DS.

By using the identifier Nintendo can ban people if multiple people are using the same one online.

-shadow-

Does copying to an external HDD make it transferable to PC/other PS4? I know that the WiiU had something like that (though it would copy the entire game along), but because the HDD was formatted into a unique format specifically for the system that formatted it, you couldn't use it anywhere else which made it kind of useless as a viable backup option if your system broke. I believe the PS4 does this the same way.

wedca

It really sucks that cheating will be possible.

The bottom line for me is that anything good that comes from this cannot cancel out the bad parts.

Vena

These hackers are going to cheat their way into my home and break my family shrine. DO YOU WANT THAT TO HAPPEN.

To many, at the core of these scenes, this a passion and race between groups. Some findings never leave the private sphere.

It's just what they enjoy doing. The 3DS was blown open incredibly quickly, but ultimately it never really developed to the (piracy) levels of the DS and PSP for various reasons.

Deku Tree

Does copying to an external HDD make it transferable to PC/other PS4? I know that the WiiU had something like that (though it would copy the entire game along), but because the HDD was formatted into a unique format specifically for the system that formatted it, you couldn't use it anywhere else which made it kind of useless as a viable backup option if your system broke. I believe the PS4 does this the same way.

Yes there is actually a PS4 save editor out there that people use to get certain stuff in their games by simply editing their save, it is limited though. The PS4 save is encrypted but it has been cracked. Your PS4 saves are locked to your PSN ID so you can't just give your save to anyone but anyone logged into a PS4 using your PSN ID can use your save file.

L.O.R.D

Extracting private data from games like models (data mining)

The next Pokemon game on switch is going to data mined very fast.

-shadow-

Yes there is actually a PS4 save editor out there that people use to get certain stuff in their games by simply editing their save, it is limited though. The PS4 save is encrypted but it has been cracked. Your PS4 saves are locked to your PSN ID so you can't just give your save to anyone but anyone logged into a PS4 using your PSN ID can use your save file.

That sounds pretty good, I thought that the entire HDD was encrypted instead of just the save file. Here's hoping that Nintendo eventually gives options. I already lost a savefile on the WiiU once, and that was really enough...

Vena

It isn't. If it was hacked, everyone would know about it. No scene following required.

Fail0verflow gave a full presentation on this already (and there was another full presentation on completely exploiting the system that blu shared with me last year that I need to dig up), they have full (private) control of the thing. And cloning the system has been possible for probably over two years through full memory dumps.

The system is hacked.

The groups behind it just don't generally publicly share this stuff. Many 3DS/WiiU exploits also remained private for years.

Blue-kun

Pokémon is a prime example of this.

Even ignoring VGC, you just have to look at the 6 months following XY and compare with Sun & Moon

XY had lots of trading, lots of people sharing friend codes for Friend Safaris and hoping to get top IV Pokémon through natural methods because the 3DS hadn't been cracked yet. This continued for months, even though opening transfer 4 months later killed it a bit due to hacks from Gen V making it easier to breed Pokémon with amazing IVs.

Compare with Sun & Moon. A lot fewer bother to trade. GTS is filled with hacks. People just hack in the stuff they want. The hacking has impacted how the game is played and it is sad.

While a lot of this is true, I'm sure there's a lot of people who didn't bother trading and what not on SM simply because Plaza was terrible and a pain to regularly access as opposed to how easy it was to setup trades and interact with friends on XY. I know I'm on that boat, I'm not really HARDCORE into Pokemon, and everytime I had to go on Plaza killed my desire to invest time into it, so I was satisfied by just clearing the story content and post-game and calling it a day.

NSESN

While a lot of this is true, I'm sure there's a lot of people who didn't bother trading and what not on SM simply because Plaza was terrible and a pain to regularly access as opposed to how easy it was to setup trades and interact with friends on XY. I know I'm on that boat, I'm not really HARDCORE into Pokemon, and everytime I had to go on Plaza killed my desire to invest time into it, so I was satisfied by just clearing the story content and post-game and calling it a day.

Even if the plaza is terrible, it is still easy to wonder trade. But nobody want to wonder trade when there's tons of hacked mons.
It just sad that the fun of the majority is destroyed because of a few.

I just want someone to hack Zelda so weapons don't deteriorate.

Buy a Wii U and mod it.

Occam

Fail0verflow gave a full presentation on this already (and there was another full presentation on completely exploiting the system that blu shared with me last year that I need to dig up), they have full (private) control of the thing. And cloning the system has been possible for probably over two years through full memory dumps.

The system is hacked.

The groups behind it just don't generally publicly share this stuff. Many 3DS/WiiU exploits also remained private for years.

I took it to mean that there was piracy. Other than cloning full accounts, there really isn't.

WhatNXt

If stuff like this ever goes public and those releasing are irresponsible enough to wilfully allow piracy and save hacking I hope Nintendo just detect and permaban. Mac address and Nintendo ID. Lock improvements and software behind mandatory updates. This is why we have console manufacturers warming up to always online type behaviour. Let people have their home-brew and piracy if they want it but they shouldn't be able to screw experiences for other people who are legally purchasing and supporting developers.

Nintendo was paying hackers to find exploits...

More like they put out a bounty, which some hackers took advantage of, but I believe the max payout was set at $20,000, which is not really a ton of money, especially with the level of fame and praise hackers get from their respective communities.

Vena

I took it to mean that there was piracy. Other than cloning full accounts, there really isn't.

I mean, cloning a full system is piracy. Full stop. And they can inject and run unsigned code on the system, the whole thing is cracked to high heaven.

The only thing that isn't publicly possible right now is downloading ISOs to boot, at least far as I know. But ISO dumps exist and have existed forever.

Most everything being discussed here for the Switch happened early on for the PS4 as well. Hell, they both had webkit exploits right off the bat.

This is a largely userland stuff that this thread is exaggerating.

NSESN

If stuff like this ever goes public and those releasing are irresponsible enough to wilfully allow piracy and save hacking I hope Nintendo just detect and permaban. Mac address and Nintendo ID. Lock improvements and software behind mandatory updates. This is why we have console manufacturers warming up to always online type behaviour. Let people have their home-brew and piracy if they want it but they shouldn't be able to screw experiences for other people who are legally purchasing and supporting developers.

The problem is if they find an exploit that make they go online without paying for the service. I don't want to pay for something that will be full of cheaters and people that aren't paying.

Vena

The problem is if they find an exploit that make they go online without paying for the service. I don't want to pay for something that will be full of cheaters and people that aren't paying.

Now that would be difficult to pull off.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Nobody would even care if virtual console games from multiple vendors were available for $2-5, and new games $25 cheaper.

Nintendo could get busy and make the switch the ultimate nostalgia console........bit they won't

mas8705

Can't say that I'm shocked at all that it took this long for us to be where we are now. That said though, I hope that those who have Switches will still make some attempt to still support the system by buying the games rather than going through these alt. methods.

I will admit that the only time I would consider the otherwise would be in the same situation as previous: Not being able to get the game I wanted to get in the first place. There is only one game that would fit that criteria, and even then, I'm waiting to see if something will change that.

As for people using these to cheat online... well, I don't think I need to point out the obvious there.

G.ZZZ

My dream would be a BotW editor for item values, so i could get the game i want to not scale terribly late in the game.

Beside that, just give me twitch please.

fetus8

Can't say that I'm shocked at all that it took this long for us to be where we are now. That said though, I hope that those who have Switches will still make some attempt to still support the system by buying the games rather than going through these alt. methods.

I will admit that the only time I would consider the otherwise would be in the same situation as previous: Not being able to get the game I wanted to get in the first place. There is only one game that would fit that criteria, and even then, I'm waiting to see if something will change that.

As for people using these to cheat online... well, I don't think I need to point out the obvious there.

Is there even a situation where a game cannot be obtained? If it's sold out physically, there's always a digital option...

OCD Guy

I couldn't care less if people are too cheap to buy games, but the worst thing in all this is if we end up seeing people cheating in online games.

Hopefully none of this will leak to the mainstream.....

timshundo

man they couldn't have figured this out like... 4-5 months after splatoon comes out???

jk

i'd only seen a few hackers in online mode in og splatoon and nintendo is pretty quick with the ban hammer. I'm assuming a lot of the matches that ended prematurely that had a hacker in it ended because mods banned the hacker asap and killed the match in the process.

timshundo

Are there any significant examples of people cheating in Wii U games online?

As I mentioned above, there were matches in splatoon where people's weapon's fire rate was basically set to 0.1, meaning blasters would shoot like 100 shots per second and they'd be immortal killing machines. but a lot of those times the match wouldn't even finish because, im assuming, those hackers were banned immedately.

mas8705

Is there even a situation where a game cannot be obtained? If it's sold out physically, there's always a digital option...

Well nowadays, that goes without saying. Especially considering that with a region free Switch and the ability to access the JP eShop, you really have zero excuses. What I am referring to though was games that were region locked how through special circumstances, these Roms could allow you to not only get the game, but to also play it if you weren't able to (or at least from what I could recall correctly).

Maximo

Just the Roms have been released which is easy the Switch is no where near getting a actual kernal exploit to run them.

Also *Right now I would take an official Dpad joycon over piracy. OOO I said it. Those fucking buttons man".
Amazing.

yyr

I feel like an aspect that will help Switch with piracy is the inherent appeal of the system, which is the entire "It's a mobile device AND a home console!" concept.

All the pirating in the world won't get you the functionality and the appeal that the Switch has.

What are you talking about?

Top Bottom