• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truly Weird Stuff Showing Up in Steam Database (Halo, KOF13, other unlikely stuff)

Could it be that Microsoft Arcade Bundle kind of provided huge data/feedback on the market? I know A LOT of people literally jumped screaming at it, myself included!

Ok, someone do the store front mockup with Halo 3, come on, people! ;)

Detox

Just to clarify; the reason the update dates are today is because it's just today the the registry viewing tool has begun linking community hub page names to ValveTestApp entries. The entries themselves are older, it's the Community Hub linking step that's new. And then if you see a date that's older than today but still newer than it should be, it's because this particular site only started tracking a while ago. Admittedly this gives a false impression that all of this is new stuff, when in reality some of it is old stuff, it's just newly discovered.
So the halo titles could have been there for ages but they were revealed today because all entries got community pages?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So the halo titles could have been there for ages but they were revealed today because all entries got community pages?

Just checked, looks like all three Halo entries got added in July 2012. So, we're not talking about projects from years ago, from pre-release, that got abandoned. Someone made an active decision to add these to the registry.

Edit: Fez was added October 31, 2012.

Edit: KoF XIII, which as you can see actually has a Steam community hub icon, not just a name--someone needed to produce a graphic for it--got added mid-October 2012.

Edit: Dyad got added mid-October 2012

Edit: Lococycle late October 2012

Edit: Retro/Grade mid November 2012

Edit: Quantum Conundrum 2 August 2012

Edit: RE: Revelations (which has a Community Hub Icon): October 2012

Edit: The Splatters Dec 2012

Edit: Hardware October 2012

Edit: La-Mulana Jan 23, 2012 (after being Greenlit)

prudislav

Insane found on steam; guiermo is that you? http://cdr.xpaw.ru/app/11580/
nope just this:
n1.jpg

Omega

Banned
Gears of War and Mass Effect also both launched on PC after being 360 exclusive.

6 months after release, not 6 years lol

as much as I want this to happen (because then Microsoft might see non-Xbox gamers are interested in Halo and just don't want to buy an Xbox forone) I don't think it will although it would be amazing if old trilogy and new trilogy eventually end up on PC within a reasonable time.

They need to stop thinking people interested in Halo will buy an Xbox and releasing it on PC would hurt it.

Grief.exe

OK guys. Let's talk best case scenario here.

M/KB optimized (no acel)
FOV slider
No GFWL
Dedicated Servers
ODST included in the package (P2P okay for CO-OP)
Steam Achievements
Optimized with PC options (post-processing, resolution, etc)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A little update; I tried to trace the original dates of all of the database entries in the OP. Like I mention in the OP and in a number of replies, the "updates" today are from that site updating their data to link Community Hub data to registry data in order to match the names.

All of those OP entries do appear to be within the last year, for example the Halo entries were originally added in July 2012.

Halo entries July 2012

Fez was added October 31, 2012.

KoF XIII, which as you can see actually has a Steam community hub icon, not just a name--someone needed to produce a graphic for it--got added mid-October 2012.

Dyad got added mid-October 2012

Lococycle late October 2012

Retro/Grade mid November 2012

Quantum Conundrum 2 August 2012

RE: Revelations (which has a Community Hub Icon): October 2012

The Splatters Dec 2012

Hardware October 2012

La-Mulana Jan 23, 2012 (after being Greenlit)

I know some people have speculated "maybe these entries are just years and years old and long-abandoned". That's not the case. All of these were added in the relatively recent past; whether or not the releases occur, this was clearly an intentional thing. And since some of the entries pre-date Community Hubs, it seems hard to believe that they'd have the Community Hub data if it was the third-party Community Hub hypothesis.

This also pretty effectively refutes the "they wouldn't add these things because they know it'd be leaked"--some of this stuff has been there for 8 months without being uncovered. This is clearly an accidental disclosure. I wouldn't be surprised to see all the community hub data reverting to the hidden ValveTestApp stuff.

I would absolutely pay for more fighting games on the PC. I'd also buy a Halo collection on Steam in a heartbeat, especially with online co-op.

Something tells me we're going to be disappointed, though.

ArjanN

A little update; I tried to trace the original dates of all of the database entries in the OP. Like I mention in the OP and in a number of replies, the "updates" today are from that site updating their data to link Community Hub data to registry data in order to match the names.

All of those OP entries do appear to be within the last year, for example the Halo entries were originally added in July 2012.

I know some people have speculated "maybe these entries are just years and years old and long-abandoned". That's not the case. All of these were added in the relatively recent past; whether or not the releases occur, this was clearly an intentional thing. And since some of the entries pre-date Community Hubs, it seems hard to believe that they'd have the Community Hub data if it was the third-party Community Hub hypothesis.

So basically confirmed real. :)

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
MS Partnering with Valve for Nextbox. Callin it.

Better for everyone than Valve making their own console.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'd buy the KoF UM games

full price even

I don't buy anything full price on steam

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Couldn't it just be related to the new user created guides?

Could it be? Sure, we have no idea what it is.

But it being related to guides is basically a subset of the non-Steam game hub idea that I mention in the OP. That's definitely a possibility, but many of these games are coming to Steam and few of them definitively aren't. Also, the add dates were before Community Hubs. Also, the stuff that they added is very scattershot; major PC games that aren't coming to Steam aren't added... like, there's no Diablo or Battlefield entry or whatever, right? And probably a full three-quarters of this stuff is definitely coming to Steam.

So, like, for the third-party hub hypothesis to be true, it'd have to be the case that Valve added Halo 1-3 for the purpose of having third-party hubs in July 2012, but put them there under hidden names (ValveTestApp) and never launched third-party hubs but went on to launch user-guides for the existing hubs... and didn't allow the community to submit third-party hub stuff or add any other game... and didn't really add anything else around the same time that is similarly suspicious (there are no other totally left field games, all of the other unannounced stuff in the OP was added at a very different time)

It seems to me that the most likely case is, whether or not these games eventually release in Steam, that someone at Microsoft created these entries for them.

I think what we're seeing here is that Valve's method of keeping unannounced games secret has a loophole that no one noticed for a long time involving community hub data. I think these are legitimate entries, and that at some point in July 2012 Microsoft was exploring releasing these games, whether or not they eventually do.

Given how the Windows 8 store doesn't allow the sale of Mature games, if Microsoft were to port Halo 3 to the PC, they wouldn't be able to sell it there, right,oOr did they change that by now? Seems weird that they'd port a game they wouldn't be selling themselves.

alstein

Do FGs generally run smoothly online? KOF XIII on PC is appealing considering the issues people have had with the PSN/XBOX netplay.

AE runs better on PCs than consoles flat-out, provided your rig can handle it (most can)
GGPO is proof enough as well.

Haunted

All I'm saying is that it's very easy to connect the dots and see the pieces fall into place.

Stump is erring on the side of caution here to make sure everything's in place and he's not jumping the gun, but I'm feeling confident about a lot of those, including the GFWL stuff.

Orayn

Given how the Windows 8 store doesn't allow the sale of Mature games, if Microsoft were to port Halo 3 to the PC, they wouldn't be able to sell it there, right,oOr did they change that by now? Seems weird that they'd port a game they wouldn't be selling themselves.

They won't sell games rated above M.

Putting aside the comments about doing away with ratings entirely (a proposition with which we’d obviously disagree!), I believe you’ve misreported one of the key points – likely because your source did so. You say that games rated Mature will not be allowed but in fact it’s games rated above Mature – or Adults Only – that will be disallowed, which is consistent with how these titles are treated for consoles. See section 6.2 of Microsoft’s Dev Center (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694083.aspx), which states: “Apps with a rating over PEGI 16, ESRB Mature, or a corresponding rating under other rating systems…are not allowed” (emphasis added).

Didn't they create an exception for M rated games back in December?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
LOVE THIS GAME bought it on a whim and so glad that I did back in the day, no idea where the cd is now however.
The sequel is on Steam, was it not as good? The trailer makes it look like 4 Wheel Thunder on the Dreamcast which I really loved (although part of that was the graphics, it looked incredibly smooth and polished despite not getting much attention).

Loona

KoF pack with the 3 games, DLC characters for XIII and Terry Bogard hats for everyone in TF2 gogogo!
Totally worth the double dip, and on special occasions, also worth applying some evangelizing via gifting to the uninitiated.

I wonder who took the first step for this, Valve or SNKP...
That mention of Ikari Warriors is almost as big a surprise.

Top Bottom