• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truly Weird Stuff Showing Up in Steam Database (Halo, KOF13, other unlikely stuff)

GABE

3hvsh8S.gif

Caporale

Banned
How is KOF13 "unlikely?"

The arcade version of the game ran on a PC. Some shady Asians already hacked out the game's protection and pirates have been playing it for two years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGs1t6sVH8g

Basically, if it's a recent arcade game, it's probably on PC hardware, and it would require very little effort to get working on Windows.

Dr Dogg

Downsampled from 3840 x 2160 to 1920x1080, apparently. Too bad the ones on the website are pretty heavily compressed JPEGs...

Wow very interesting. I suppose it works due to theater mode is just ruining game code and not rendered footage so as long as it's a still image the resolution can be bumped up. Shows how good some of the assets hold up as well. Can't imagine what Bungie could have done if Halo 3 was on PC back when it released.

alstein

Sad thing is this is likely the horrid XBLA port of 98UM. I really hope it's the PS2 port instead, that way someone could hack in online.

BlazinAm

Just FYI, we've had Halo 3 in 1080p since the game launched, just not in motion. The screenshot uploader uses some Bungie sorcery to take pseudo-bullshots, and they can look quite nice nice.

Here's one of mine from March 2008. I'm the puncher, not the punchee.

Upscaling a non-motion frame seems possible for the xbox to do. Or was it that sceenshots were rendered in the cloud, I don't remember.
Edit:
Oh it was rendered on the box and then uploaded.
Halo 3's screenshot tool downsamples from 8064x4448.

What kinda of resolution is that?

HTupolev

Upscaling a non-motion frame seems possible for the xbox to do. Or was it that sceenshots were rendered in the cloud, I don't remember.
Bungie used to have a system that would allow you to request their servers to render your replay files into video, so you could create clips even if you didn't have a capture card.

The screenshot tool renders images locally.

rrs

Maybe something bigger is going on, possible Steam and Microsoft partnership we don't know about?

Bumpers

King of Fighters on PC would recieve an instant purchase from me, infact those who work on MUGEN fighting games will probably be the happiest bunch.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The update dates are wrong. Death Tank has been in there forever and I know it's been canceled. Same goes for Retro/Grade.

BlazinAm

Bungie used to have a system that would allow you to request their servers to render your replay files into video, so you could create clips even if you didn't have a capture card.

The screenshot tool renders images locally.

ahh yes thank you.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The update dates are wrong. Death Tank has been in there forever and I know it's been canceled. Same goes for Retro/Grade.

Just to clarify; the reason the update dates are today is because it's just today the the registry viewing tool has begun linking community hub page names to ValveTestApp entries. The entries themselves are older, it's the Community Hub linking step that's new. And then if you see a date that's older than today but still newer than it should be, it's because this particular site only started tracking a while ago. Admittedly this gives a false impression that all of this is new stuff, when in reality some of it is old stuff, it's just newly discovered.

HTupolev

Downsampled from 3840 x 2160 to 1920x1080, apparently. Too bad the ones on the website are pretty heavily compressed JPEGs...
Unfortunately, it's not just the website. They're tiny jpegs locally on the 360 as well. Probably some obnoxious Microsoft file storage rule thingy.

I wish I had a good capture setup; I wonder if you could get good results by capturing the image as the tiling finishes but before the "save screenshot" menu covers it up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wonder what DLC Range is. It shows up for a number of things, like FTL, Metro Last Light, TF2, Dota. Is it some place holder for generic DLC, or are they connected (My money is on placeholder)

The original Halo trilogy on Steam? No way... This would be some or the best news I've had this generation.

A proper PC port of Halo 3...man that would be too good to be true. Loved playing that back when I used my 360.

IKNOWRIGHT!??!

Best Halo yet!! Gimme Halo 3 with Mod tools too!!

I would re-buy Halo 1-3 on Steam.

Especially 3.

Halo 3 and Halo 2 would be too awesome on Steam.

Clearly Halo 3 is a codeword for Half life 3 ... GET HYPED:

Halo Trilogy if it's true it's a must buy for me.

Halo 3 on Steam would complete me as a human being.

PLEASE! The mods would be awesome.

Would buy all three halo games again if they came to Steam.

I see no need to not release these games on PC after a few years. It has its terrific run on consoles, then it comes to PC for a second wave a couple of years later. To me it always made sense to do this, but maybe I'm wrong...

Anyways, it gives hope we might see all of them eventually. They may be late, but getting them is nice. A PC is the best place to collect games like this as well, because you can always go back and play them years later.

People on GAF always gave me hell and said this idea would destroy Xbox and nobody would buy an Xbox anymore. I'd love for this to turn out so I can get some conviction!

legacyzero

Banned
Microsoft finally bowing down to their Steam overlords?? I'd LOVE to see more of the MS Exclusives on PC. Forza belongs there =/

kirblar

Do FGs generally run smoothly online? KOF XIII on PC is appealing considering the issues people have had with the PSN/XBOX netplay.

Bumhead

Banned
List looks mostly legit to me. Some of those are already announced, others are pretty straight forward and logical (Cut the Rope, Angry Birds etc).

Only real outliers to me are the Halo games, 2 of which are already on PC anyway. It seems like a win to me for Microsoft. There is money to be made from selling those games on Steam were that money wouldn't otherwise be there.

I'd buy 'em. I'll be disappointed now if this turns out to be BS.

Crawl

That deep silver game is listed in there that "ride to hell: retribution" i thought that game was cancelled.

Ketch

I have a couple questions:

Is this game's journalism? Where do they people who find this stuff work? You should get paid to make these kind of discoveries is what I'm saying.

Are there community pages for any non-steam game showing up in the registry in any other way?

Has anything every shown up on the registry and not come out?

Can anyone think of another example of a huge console exclusive (like Halo) being released on Steam?

Is there an average or typical amount of time that happens between something showing up on the registry and being released?

Crawl

Fable 1 and 3 are on Steam, so i dont see why halo would be a stretch. Its free money. Wasnt there also a microsoft linkedin profile that said something about new distribution channels and it mentioned steam specifically?

RoKKeR

List looks mostly legit to me. Some of those are already announced, others are pretty straight forward and logical (Cut the Rope, Angry Birds etc).

Only real outliers to me are the Halo games, 2 of which are already on PC anyway. It seems like a win to me for Microsoft. There is money to be made from selling those games on Steam were that money wouldn't otherwise be there.

I'd buy 'em. I'll be disappointed now if this turns out to be BS.

I'd buy the shit out of a Halo collection on Steam if it released. I feel like a packaged trilogy edition would sell like hotcakes.

Grief.exe

When your 360 is taking the screenshot, the game actually shows the image being slowly produced tile-by-tile. Basically, it's crazy supersampled.

Halo 3's screenshot tool downsamples from 8064x4448.

Holy shit.

Alright then. No wonder the image is so sharp and there is no visable aliasing.

Has anything every shown up on the registry and not come out?

Yes.

Plenty of titles have shown up on the Registry and never came out.

Final Fantasy 7 & 8 are great examples of this, but this happens every once in a while. The vast majority of the time, if they are on the registry, they are scheduled to be released.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That deep silver game is listed in there that "ride to hell: retribution" i thought that game was cancelled.

A few people have found what they think are cancelled projects. I think that's quite easy to believe (I mean, pretty clearly, a Steam Registry entry typically means that a game is intended to be released and that the process of putting it on Steam is beginning--whether or not it actually releases could easily be subject to external factors), but I wonder why cancelled projects would have a Community Hub name; Community Hubs weren't added until August/September 2012.

Edit: Looks like it was only added to the registry at all in November 2012, so I'd guess that it's probably not cancelled :p

Edit 2: By contrast, Marble Blast Ultra has a Community Hub name but has been in the registry for several years and is definitely canceled.

Edit: The Halo 3 entry was originally added (sans-Community Hub info, naturally) in July 2012.

ArjanN

A few people have found what they think are cancelled projects. I think that's quite easy to believe (I mean, pretty clearly, a Steam Registry entry typically means that a game is intended to be released and that the process of putting it on Steam is beginning--whether or not it actually releases could easily be subject to external factors), but I wonder why cancelled projects would have a Community Hub name; Community Hubs weren't added until August/September 2012.

That registry entry was updated recently and I think I remember Deep Silver teasing something about it a while ago.

EDIT: here you go, game is still in development, news soon:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/30/3933344/ride-to-hell-still-in-development

Top Bottom