• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Holdings recruiting core staff for new console RPG studio, wants Unity xp

ConceptX

Nice to see that Square-Enix might be turning a new leaf in regards to fulfilling their focus (yes, I made a FFXIII joke). I'm guessing this new studio might be related to some of the thoughts by Yoshinori Kitase in this article.

Hadn't seen that before, very interesting read, thank you.

A separate studio that can use the experience and assets of SE, without having SE management is the best thing that can happen for this studio in my opinion.

Especially if they can show SE a new outlook, ala the surprise of Bravely Default in the west.

From what I understand, event director is kinda like the cinematics director by Square's way of defining things.

So how the scenes are storyboarded, how the scenes play out in the actual cutscene, how the actors voice those scenes are because of that event director.

So yeah, whenever you see scenes like Lightning doing triple flips and acrobatics in the cutscenes while the camera does a strange slow-down here and there, that's something that the event director does. He 'directs' the events ( cutscenes) from paper to realisation.

TheChaos0

Looking into the actual recruitment notices for each job opening, it sounds a bit more interesting. This is a new development studio which is being set up by Square Enix Holdings. So it seems like it'll be it's own company, rather than just a team within Square Enix Japan. Hmm...

Square Holdings Co Ltd got tired of waiting for Square Enix to make FFXVI, so they have decided to create a team to make their own. Who will ship the game the fastest!?

Nibel

Looking into the actual recruitment notices for each job opening, it sounds a bit more interesting. This is a new development studio which is being set up by Square Enix Holdings. So it seems like it'll be it's own company, rather than just a team within Square Enix Japan. Hmm...

Now it's getting interesting.

Squaresoft returns!

It's probably built of all the indie devs from all the cancelled chrono trigger fan remakes! lol

But seriously I am kinda excited about this :)

KoopaTheCasual

Well Watanabe was one of the scenario writers behind FFXII.
He picked up after Matsuno left, and I heard coincidentally, the second half of the game is where shit gets terrible.

Also if you look at his track record, every game with elements of "wtf is this dumb nonsense?" story, has his name as leader writer. Dude is awful.

Go_Ly_Dow

Bet this will be for the FFXV sequels and in future the XVI sequels. Working on them side by side with the main titles to put out yearly release.

FFXV - Summer-Holiday 20XV
FFXV-2 - Holiday 2016

BELIEVE!

This doesn't sound like reality.

He picked up after Matsuno left, and I heard coincidentally, the second half of the game is where shit gets terrible.

Also if you look at his track record, every game with elements of "wtf is this dumb nonsense?" story, has his name as leader writer. Dude is awful.

If matsuno were there for the first half of the game's development, even assuming there wasn't a ton of time wasted on redoing materials and that it was done in order, etc., ... the story should have already have been finished and planned out before he left.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Stefan™;128574845 said:
2 years until announcement of games
Another decade until they actually get released.
Or never

Seems feasible.

ibxwuDOvBO4qk3.gif

Well, normally I would say this is a tad cynical, but the last time they announced a new team with a new console game they teased a UE3 console action RPG in 2011: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453649

ue3semy7ni.png

Then when it came back in 2013 it was a mobile game: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587096

1371072609-owl.png

DMiz

I think it's hilarious that it's come to this.

Squaresoft - in its heyday - was recognized in the West as the luminary RPG studio. Sure, they also had a roster of games that didn't fit into that genre, but RPGs were it's bread and butter.

The fact that they now have to go out of their way to set up a separate studio to build console RPGs just says a painful amount of their development philosophy.

KoopaTheCasual

This doesn't sound like reality.

If matsuno were there for the first half of the game's development, assuming there wasn't a ton of time wasted on redoing materials and that it was done in order, etc., ... the story should have already have been finished and planned out before he left.
Hey, I'm not saying Matsuno is efficient or anything. I'm just saying, SE needs a much better roster of writers. They have more directors/producers than they need, but there's seriously only three writers I even know the names of in all SE Japan.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It's not like there's a developer whom you've worked with plenty of times in the past, who is known for some of the absolute best and most creative RPG systems around, that is practically begging for work right now... Anyways, a new console RPG studio sounds incredible, but as a console RPG fan who survived last gen, forgive me for being very suspicious.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They're asking for experience working with Unity.
Huh. That's a tad unusual given it's more of a smaller team and/or mobile engine, but I guess it is certainly workable.

They could feasibly be using it for prototyping too, but it's a bit odd to ask for programming experience at that point since one of the main ideas with Unity is you can prototype without programming.

Nibel

Scum

Set Ito free!

duckroll

Huh. That's a tad unusual given it's more of a smaller team and/or mobile engine, but I guess it is certainly workable.

They could feasibly be using it for prototyping too, but it's a bit odd to ask for programming experience at that point since one of the main ideas with Unity is you can prototype without programming.

The Unity stuff is interesting. It's not a requirement, but rather a bonus perk. It does imply that they're working with Unity in some form or other since the programming posts and the graphics posts all mention that knowledge of Unity is a plus. What's odd is that the actual requirements for the applicants is definitely looking for console experience. The programmers are expected to have at least 2 years of experience with console development for example, and the lead programmer has to have shipped at least one RPG.

It's a recruitment ad looking for people interested in being the foundation of a new RPG studio making console games, and they're looking for console experience, but... they're working with Unity? Very strange.

Asd202

Perhaps.

2017 release date.

This studio with me a compilation of all of S-Es old staff.

Uematsu
The Gooch
Hiromichi Tanaka
Matsuno
Takahashi

Its going to be a sight to behold

Yep I'm sure those people want to go back to company set up by SE management.

Sesha

They'll ship maybe one title before the Square Enix management cancer takes over and they struggle to complete their second game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
RIP Luminous.

Looking through the release list for Unity 5, while it's still a really unusual choice for a console-first game for a larger team, it does seem to address a lot of the main complaints about using it for larger scale development.

It has proper asset bundling so your development environment doesn't implode when you get too much game content, it has a high end lighting solution that works efficiently in both development and final performance terms, it has physically based shading which is one of the staple visual effects of current-gen, and it now supports 64-bit development so you can actually efficiently address the amount of memory present on PS4/XB1.

It's not implausible they could actually use the engine for the final shipped product.

Unity prides itself on very efficient development, even when you have a small starting team, so maybe Square Enix decided that was an absolutely critical thing for them even if it meant using a somewhat unproven engine in the console space.

I have a weeks worth of Unity experience. I can get enemies to chase after me around the navmesh. I can roll a ball around. I can create a FPS camera and a third person / isometric camera. I can shoot things and raycast and GetComponent and Instantiate()!

Should I apply? lol

New studio, new unity user. Why not.

Nairume

Banned
It's a recruitment ad looking for people interested in being the foundation of a new RPG studio making console games, and they're looking for console experience, but... they're working with Unity? Very strange.

Unity would probably be an easy way for them to release stuff across numerous platforms, which might be how they finagled the board to allow for it instead more mobile games.

Also imagine it may suggest they are going to start this team out with smaller scale games and work them up to doing bigger things.

duckroll

Unity would probably be an easy way for them to release stuff across numerous platforms, which might be how they finagled the board to allow for it instead more mobile games.

Also imagine it may suggest they are going to start this team out with smaller scale games and work them up to doing bigger things.

The core focus here is "home console RPGs" though. If it's a studio making multiplatform titles for mobile, portable, and consoles I think they would say so. It's pretty unusual. Even for smaller scale console projects, Unity isn't an ideal tech base to work from. UE would certainly be better, and it also supports mobile ports. The entire thing is kinda weird.

DJIzana

Well if none of your current staff can successfully ship one, maybe you can hire a new team that can.

No kidding... hopefully it will still retain Japanese character design if this actually falls though if this somehow happens. Not only that but hopefully doesn't take more than 8+ years to develop either.
Wishful thinking, I know...

no please no.... I would cry if FFXV isn't running on the Luminous engine.

Well, the E3 trailer for FFXV was using Silicon Studios engine (at least for rendering)...

mclem

Unity experience strikes me as interesting - it suggests to me that they're looking to set up a line of products with more manageable budgets and production values and maximising the platforms it can release on. Given the state of the industry as a whole at the moment, I do think this is a sensible idea. Mind you, it's making an awful lot of assumptions off not much information!

So what are the chances of them making anything but final fantasy? (New IP specifically)
I just want another clover studios :(

Top Bottom