• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tea Time

Neo Member
The deck has already evolved way past that, I'll post a new list later

Mill was the first deck I ever won an FNM with back when I started playing with Origins, so I have a special place in my heart for it.

I'm by no means a great deck builder, but here's where I am with it so far.

Creatures:10
4 Minister of Inquiries
4 Manic Scribe
2 Pilgrim's Eye

Spells:26
4 Abrade
3 Anticipate
3 Censor
3 Winds of Rebuke
3 Fevered Visions
4 Fraying Sanity
2 Supreme Will
4 Startled Awake

Lands:24
4 Aether Hub
2 Evolving Wilds
4 Ipnu Rivulet
5 Island
2 Mountain
1 Scavenger Grounds
4 Spirebluff Canal
2 Wandering Fumarole

Sideboard:15
3 Thing in the Ice
1 Sphinx of the Final Word
1 Dispel
2 Aether Meltdown
2 Essence Scatter
3 Negate
2 Sweltering Suns
1 Hour of Devastation

I doubt it's going to win me much but it's fun to play at least.

I find that I love the idea of building decks, but when it comes time to actually do it I lose all motivation after i come up with just a couple of cards.

Usually it's because I think of a theme that seems cool and interesting, and as I'm brainstorming for that theme, I come across a card that would be really cool in a different theme, and then I start wondering why I'm restricting myself at all, and then I run into decision paralysis because there's just so much stuff to be mindful of.

I don't know how to escape this pattern

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah mono white humans was certainly a deck, and a good one at that
Please that was a budget deck that never really put up results because if it faultered at all, company, tokens and delirium would grind it to dust. Certainly not too strong.

Santiako

Please that was a budget deck that never really put up results because if it faultered at all, company, tokens and delirium would grind it to dust. Certainly not too strong.

No, it was one of the decks to beat during the first month or so that SOI was legal. Probably around the time they made the decision to turn the card into a cat.

Tunoku

Decided to not durdle around and just drafted a fairly aggressive red/green desert deck today and won it all. Had two copies of the rare 3/3 Hydra, the Fling Manticore, and the mythic menagerie fetch spell. Managed to get 3 3-drops with it once and it was dope. Deserts really surprised me, they're awesome and you should probably pick them higher than you are. Just make sure to have enough playables and keep in mind that there's barely any good deserts in pack 3.

Poppy

some people on commander on mtgo are literally insane. i was mana screwed and had a 3 mana 2/2 on the board, i attack a guy because i have nothing better to do and that person has a rhystic study out which is just a stupid card that makes me hate the player, and he taps out to terminate it. to save two life

the person going after me has a locust god on the field and like 10 mana after untapping, but this fellow terminates a 2/2 and tells me i shouldnt have attacked him then

some people just live to ruin games. the dude used all his interaction on the two people doing literal nothing the whole game because we shaved five life off him, and protected the person who won the game with an infinite combo. who also was about 20 minutes in time behind everyone else.

and thats the story of yet another game of commander where people go on my block list

i think a lot of people play commander with the notion that they just dont want to lose first and it ends up ruining the game because while they stall out on minor bullshit, one person ends up taking over the whole game. like the point of commander is to try and beat the 3 other people, not be slightly less of a chump than someone else

Poppy

if you tap out despite the next person's boardstate easily looking like it would kill everyone including you, then i guess play how you want but that seems really really dumb

stopping a player is a play to not lose. Offloading the job to someone else you're certain to some degree has an answer is a risky but at times better move.
If they don't the game is over and we can just start another but if they do have an answer then you're in a much better spot than before as you still have an answer in hadn and an opponent doesn't.

bigkrev

some people on commander on mtgo are literally insane. i was mana screwed and had a 3 mana 2/2 on the board, i attack a guy because i have nothing better to do and that person has a rhystic study out which is just a stupid card that makes me hate the player, and he taps out to terminate it. to save two life

the person going after me has a locust god on the field and like 10 mana after untapping, but this fellow terminates a 2/2 and tells me i shouldnt have attacked him then

some people just live to ruin games. the dude used all his interaction on the two people doing literal nothing the whole game because we shaved five life off him, and protected the person who won the game with an infinite combo. who also was about 20 minutes in time behind everyone else.

and thats the story of yet another game of commander where people go on my block list

i think a lot of people play commander with the notion that they just dont want to lose first and it ends up ruining the game because while they stall out on minor bullshit, one person ends up taking over the whole game. like the point of commander is to try and beat the 3 other people, not be slightly less of a chump than someone else

This is why I hate multiplayer formats in general. I just never have fun.

Poppy

stopping a player is a play to not lose. Offloading the job to someone else you're certain to some degree has an answer is a risky but at times better move.
If they don't the game is over and we can just start another but if they do have an answer then you're in a much better spot than before as you still have an answer in hadn and an opponent doesn't.

in that scenario you should talk i think. but you might play in person where it makes more sense. on mtgo i just dont like the idea that i wasted x amount of time with slow playing strangers and some people are allowing others to go off even though it might actually be the end of the game for everyone. i know sometimes its a play to not lose, but i generally try to win the games i play, which sometimes means butting heads and saving things yourself because other people might not be able to do so

i would -like- to win every game i play. im not trying to be unfun, i still like shenanigans. i am not ultra competitive man who will criticize bad cards in a deck. its just sometimes the lines of play seem so so bad, and their reasoning or logic seems so utterly petty and without gameplay merit. just depressing

anyway, multiplayer is indeed a difficult format to deal with. but 1v1 commander seems like it would take away some of the fun and i would need to run way more competitive decklists. and commander is the only kind of constructed i like because weird things always happen

but i guess i am just a magic complainer

jph139

I've intentionally sandbagged in EDH to screw over other players. Like, I could absolutely stop That Dude, but if I do, you'll win, so I won't. I'll take us all down! You shouldn't have slighted me on Turn 3!

Of course, I'd only play EDH among friends (or at least, among "friends"). Playing with random dudes seems like a waste to me considering the format.

Poppy

ya, fucking around with friends i definitely can understand spite.

but no one is my friend online whats wrong with you people grrrrr

either way i am enjoying tinkering with this sidisi deck, i like cursing myself with fraying sanity and keeping one ulamog in the deck so my constant cycle of self mill and zombie generation never stops

Ashodin

The deck has already evolved way past that, I'll post a new list later

Uh05AUb.gif

Reading some other people's strats online, you want to get Fraying Sanity out ASAP, so I dipped into white for Open the Armory. Now it's basically Fraying Sanity 5-8.

You can effectively race if you get the right card setup; if you get two Fraying Sanity (Mirage Mirror is for enabling the combo if you don't find a second one) Startled Awake is instant win (Since you mill 52 cards on one cast)

The idea is to play tempo while searching for the combo - counter creature threats, counter tapout spells, cycle until you hit the combo.

Uh05AUb.gif

Reading some other people's strats online, you want to get Fraying Sanity out ASAP, so I dipped into white for Open the Armory. Now it's basically Fraying Sanity 5-8.

You can effectively race if you get the right card setup; if you get two Fraying Sanity (Mirage Mirror is for enabling the combo if you don't find a second one) Startled Awake is instant win (Since you mill 52 cards on one cast)

I hereby dub this play "52 card Pickup"

in that scenario you should talk i think. but you might play in person where it makes more sense. on mtgo i just dont like the idea that i wasted x amount of time with slow playing strangers and some people are allowing others to go off even though it might actually be the end of the game for everyone. i know sometimes its a play to not lose, but i generally try to win the games i play, which sometimes means butting heads and saving things yourself because other people might not be able to do so

i would -like- to win every game i play. im not trying to be unfun, i still like shenanigans. i am not ultra competitive man who will criticize bad cards in a deck. its just sometimes the lines of play seem so so bad, and their reasoning or logic seems so utterly petty and without gameplay merit. just depressing

anyway, multiplayer is indeed a difficult format to deal with. but 1v1 commander seems like it would take away some of the fun and i would need to run way more competitive decklists. and commander is the only kind of constructed i like because weird things always happen

but i guess i am just a magic complainer
I do talk sometimes but only when I'm desperate for a win. I generally prefer not to collude too much or better said not to collude openly, just leaves a bad taste.
I don't make deals to save myself either.

abby315-solemnity-14979800120.png

I'm thinking of what Solemnity just wrecks or at least weakens in Modern.

Infect
Arcbound Ravager
Steel Overseer
Walking Ballista
Scavenging Ooze
Hangarback Walker
Tireless Tracker
Chalice of the Void
Engineered Explosives
Aether Vial

EDIT: Oh yeah, being a Jund player I should have thought of Raging Ravine.

Do those look correct? I'm sure there are more...

Violet_0

Banned

The idea is to play tempo while searching for the combo - counter creature threats, counter tapout spells, cycle until you hit the combo.
oh, yeah, Open the Armory is the right way to go with Fraying Sanity. Too bad it rotates out

Hope of Ghirapur seems pointless, though. You just give them more removal targets. Why not play some Disallow instead? Or better yet, that new choose 1 counterspell/looting

Poppy

i havent seen much infect play in modern in videos i have watched since git probe got banned, now it seems like it is totally hosed with solemnity

and like you said it also hits affinity beyond just inkmoth too. i wonder just how good it will end up being

I prefer 1v1 / Duel / French Commander. Online and IRL.
I just do not understand the politics of multiplayer Commander.

the good news is despite my complaining, the politics are usually just a clusterfuck and you pick someone to hate on and just go hard because you can

no matter what, multiplayer commander will always be various forms of dumb

Zocano

Multiplayer IRL is the most fun I have playing magic. Friends and I play with a proxy cube and the dumbest shit happens. Just gotta not think too much of playing exclusively to win and instead make fun shit happen.

And if Solemnity also hit Planeswalkers, maaaaan. Maaaaaan. Shoulda just kept that in just to see everything burn.

The politics of multiplayer Commander are simple: everyone at the table tries, first and foremost, to keep everyone else from getting out of hand.

It's nice because it allows wildly different power levels of decks to interact meaningfully (since playing an obviously strong deck draws a lot of disruption/removal/hate), but has the added problem that it over-encourages obnoxious combo decks (since appearing to be a non-threat up until the moment you instantly win the game avoids the obviously problems of drawing attention to yourself).

Ashodin

oh, yeah, Open the Armory is the right way to go with Fraying Sanity. Too bad it rotates out

Hope of Ghirapur seems pointless, though. You just give them more removal targets. Why not play some Disallow instead? Or better yet, that new choose 1 counterspell/looting
I like being able to sac it to stop effects when I combo out.

Firemind

The politics of multiplayer Commander are simple: everyone at the table tries, first and foremost, to keep everyone else from getting out of hand.

It's nice because it allows wildly different power levels of decks to interact meaningfully (since playing an obviously strong deck draws a lot of disruption/removal/hate), but has the added problem that it over-encourages obnoxious combo decks (since appearing to be a non-threat up until the moment you instantly win the game avoids the obviously problems of drawing attention to yourself).
I mean, just look at the commander. It's not that difficult to spot combo decks.

Poppy

I mean, just look at the commander. It's not that difficult to spot combo decks.
basically if they are playing green, then assume the worst

thats how i see it

all my green commanders are clearly midrange creature beats/value so i feel like i remain semi innocent

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Multiplayer IRL is the most fun I have playing magic. Friends and I play with a proxy cube and the dumbest shit happens. Just gotta not think too much of playing exclusively to win and instead make fun shit happen.

And if Solemnity also hit Planeswalkers, maaaaan. Maaaaaan. Shoulda just kept that in just to see everything burn.

I mean, I assume it was easier to say "permanents" and then they realized completely hosing your opponent's Planeswalkers unless they can deal with an enchantment was dumb.

Poppy

the only planeswalker i really dislike is ugin because i dont like having all my permanents wiped away at once and then still having to deal with him

I'm getting a reputation in commander for having too fast starts, I just really like running fast mana and most of my commanders either work off the speed or recover the card disadvantage. Couple weeks ago I resolved a turn 1 Uba Mask which was quite funny.
the only planeswalker i really dislike is ugin because i dont like having all my permanents wiped away at once and then still having to deal with him

play more artifacts and get vandalblasted.

Poppy

land destruction is like discard to me, it just feels needlessly hateful unless it is applied equally to everyone

its like when people play sorin markov, one person is about to have a really bad time. but i will definitely play repay in kind because that is hilarious

land destruction is like discard to me, it just feels needlessly hateful unless it is applied equally to everyone

its like when people play sorin markov, one person is about to have a really bad time. but i will definitely play repay in kind because that is hilarious
you just described the two things the 2 worst colour combos in EDH are good at. Yay for rakdos and boros, look at me getting all the value and capsize locking you out of the game but don't you dare go after my lands.
Truth. Fave colours of mine also. I reconcile that fact with the notion of Land Destruction but I don't play those because I prefer having people to play with :)
so true. Payed armageddon exactly once in my angry ladies deck.

the colour pie is fucked any combo can get rid of everything except rb with enchantments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom