• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

sarcastor

got some cheap lenses from craigslist and friends

Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.4
Vivitar 28mm f/2.8
Nikon E 50mm f/1.8
Nikon E 36-72mm f/3.5
Albinar 135mm f/2.8

I rented a 18-105mm f/4 for my a6000. Gonna do some beach shoots this weekend at sunset, so I need autofocus. And I really only use the 58mm and 28mm. The rest is just for looks :)

StF67PD.jpg

Chumley

Banned
I'm looking to sell my canon 17-40mm f/4L and move up to a 16-35mmf/2.8l

There's a $1k difference on ebay between the 16-35 mk. I and mk. III, obviously the mk.III is the newer version but can anyone vouch for these? If I primarily shoot video would I see a significant enough difference between the mk. 1 and mk. 3 to make it worth it? I'm also going to be using it on a gh5 w/ metabones adapter.

I've watched videos and the performance seems great on both but I was just hoping someone here had personal experience with it.

Ty4on

I'm looking to sell my canon 17-40mm f/4L and move up to a 16-35mmf/2.8l

There's a $1k difference on ebay between the 16-35 mk. I and mk. III, obviously the mk.III is the newer version but can anyone vouch for these? If I primarily shoot video would I see a significant enough difference between the mk. 1 and mk. 3 to make it worth it? I'm also going to be using it on a gh5 w/ metabones adapter.

I've watched videos and the performance seems great on both but I was just hoping someone here had personal experience with it.
Fake edit: I thought you meant the mk2, but the mk1 is probably not sharper.

-------------------

I have no idea if you'll notice it, but the Mark 3 is significantly sharper than the Mark 2. Looking at Lensrentals' graphs the 10 lp/mm is notably worse in the corners and should possibly make it noticable in videos.
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/10/canon-16-35mm-f2-8l-mark-iii-optical-bench-tests/

The softness was a sore point of the Mk2. When the 5DS launched Canon recommended the 16-35 f4 over the f2.8 Mark 2 (Mark 3 wasn't out).
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=15356

Edit: It gets kinda complicated :p
Does the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 work for your setup?

Chumley

Banned
Fake edit: I thought you meant the mk2, but the mk1 is probably not sharper.

-------------------

I have no idea if you'll notice it, but the Mark 3 is significantly sharper than the Mark 2. Looking at Lensrentals' graphs the 10 lp/mm is notably worse in the corners and should possibly make it noticable in videos.
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/10/canon-16-35mm-f2-8l-mark-iii-optical-bench-tests/

The softness was a sore point of the Mk2. When the 5DS launched Canon recommended the 16-35 f4 over the f2.8 Mark 2 (Mark 3 wasn't out).
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=15356

Edit: It gets kinda complicated :p
Does the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 work for your setup?

That Sigma seems great, that would definitely work. Is it as good or close to as good as the 16-35 mk 3?

Finally bought a camera strap for my second body. Was nice to shoot an event with both bodies and not worry about the camera hanging off my neck twisting around and cutting off my oxygen. A D600 with a 2.8 24-70 and a hotshoe flash hanging off your neck gets really tiring after a while.

Ty4on

That Sigma seems great, that would definitely work. Is it as good or close to as good as the 16-35 mk 3?
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it was as good. From a quick DXO search using the Canon 760D as a proxy it actually scored higher than the Canon in sharpness. There's usually a sharpness penalty with ultrawides (they're harder to design), but the Sigma isn't really an ultrawide as it's made for APS-C and has a smaller image circle.

I know it was popular with the GH4 and from a quick Google search it seems to work on the GH5 without much vignetting. I'd look further into it though as the GH5 has a bigger video area and is still quite new.

Edit: What adapter are you using? Speedbooster? If so, which type?

Chumley

Banned
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it was as good. From a quick DXO search using the Canon 760D as a proxy it actually scored higher than the Canon in sharpness. There's usually a sharpness penalty with ultrawides (they're harder to design), but the Sigma isn't really an ultrawide as it's made for APS-C and has a smaller image circle.

I know it was popular with the GH4 and from a quick Google search it seems to work on the GH5 without much vignetting. I'd look further into it though as the GH5 has a bigger video area and is still quite new.

Edit: What adapter are you using? Speedbooster? If so, which type?

Metabones Speedbooster, haven't bought it yet since I'm still waiting on buying the gh5 to go with it.

The sigma not working on full frame might be a dealbreaker for me, I want to be able to use it on my 5d for wide landscape photography. I also like going all the way out to 16mm for video sometimes, so I might just pluck down the extra $1k for the 16-35 mk III. The extra stop of light on the sigma would be nice but 2.8 is still really good.

Flo_Evans

I really want a set of the veydra mini cinema lenses to go with my (potential) gh5.

I am curious to see how my Nikon 12-24 f4 dx lens would work out with a speedbooster...

Got

Banned
Just got the new Lomo Instant Automat Glass in. The lens is so much sharper than Fuji's Neo 90. Totally worth the upgrade.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Debating on trading my Zeiss 12mm 2.8 for a Fuji 10-24 f4.

I really enjoy shooting wide, especially when traveling. I use the 12 for both portraits and landscapes... hell, general street shooting, honestly. But I've come to realize a couple things - I never really need 2.8 for any of the shots I'm doing (2.8 isn't fast enough at night, anyway, and in the day it won't matter - I'm rarely using it in my portraiture because of the distortion), and as I get more into video, the OIS of the Fuji zoom would be a godsend.

It's really almost a no-brainer, but I've gotten so many great keepers with the Zeiss I'm hesitating.

/thinking out loud

Flo_Evans

Personally I find in lens stabilization not very effective for video. I mean it helps, but it's not gonna replace a gimbal or glidetrack for camera movements. At best it works ok if you just want a semi stable shot without a tripod.

I'd much rather have a lens with good manual focus than a stabilized one.

Having said that I did see some video of the gh5 with in body stabilization + lens stabilization on a gimbal and it looked like a dolly shot it was so smooth.

I can't wait for my next video shoot to rent one :)

So I want a zoom lens for my a6000 not sure what one to go for though. I have been using the kit lens which is ok but not amazing.

I'm in the same boat.

I went out yesterday with my a6000, and even though some pictures came out ok, I wish I could zoom in even further.

I'll definitely take a look at whichever recommendations you guys post up.

Still a beginner with everything so I don't know what the next step should be.

Got

Banned
Dope just what I need.

Yeah, you'll see what it offers for you and make decisions about upgrading to more expensive glass or find exactly what you need from it. If anything it will be a learning experience. You may even realize you don't want or need a zoom lens like that. Regardless, it's a fine choice.

Yeah, you'll see what it offers for you and make decisions about upgrading to more expensive glass or find exactly what you need from it. If anything it will be a learning experience. You may even realize you don't want or need a zoom lens like that. Regardless, it's a fine choice.
Any other types of lenses I should look into as a beginner?

The GH5 is 1.33 crop factor, so the sigma 18-35mm's 18mm starting point is effectively 24mm, right?

GH5 crop factor is 2, as it is micro four thirds. the GH4 was a 1.15 crop of that 2 when shooting 4k video (2.3 crop). But the GH5 is 2. So 36mm for the 18mm.

edit: wait is that a canon lens? if this is with a speedbooster, then I wouldn't know

Chumley

Banned
Gh5 is 2x crop, speedbooster is .7 so you are at 1.4x

Closer to 25-50mm which is kinda weird.

Lol this shit is so confusing coming from a full frame DSLR, but everything I'll be using on the gh5 will be with a speedbooster so I guess that simplifies it. 25mm is alright but I do like to go wider sometimes.

edit: looking at more videos of this lens with the gh5 really convinced me to go with it, the picture quality at 4k is insane and it's fast enough for night shoots. Can't wait to get it.

Flo_Evans

I mostly use 35 or 50mm shooting video on a full frame so I guess I could be down with that range. From what I am looking at though no one makes any kind of adapter that can AF or electronic aperture control Nikon lenses so I would want the canon version of the 18-35 and that would kill me inside.

I guess I already have a canon 17-35 2.8... could use that but I have way more Nikon glass so buying a $500 canon speedbooster makes little sense.

I actually called the local camera shop and they had one gh5 in stock. Almost went and grabbed it. Ugggh!!

Not to confuse you further but check out this footage shot on the veydra primes... https://vimeo.com/204662860 you can download the 10bit vlog file to play with :)

Chumley

Banned
I mostly use 35 or 50mm shooting video on a full frame so I guess I could be down with that range. From what I am looking at though no one makes any kind of adapter that can AF or electronic aperture control Nikon lenses so I would want the canon version of the 18-35 and that would kill me inside.

I guess I already have a canon 17-35 2.8... could use that but I have way more Nikon glass so buying a $500 canon speedbooster makes little sense.

I actually called the local camera shop and they had one gh5 in stock. Almost went and grabbed it. Ugggh!!

Not to confuse you further but check out this footage shot on the veydra primes... https://vimeo.com/204662860 you can download the 10bit vlog file to play with :)

That's pretty nice, very very sharp.

And yeah I already own a 50mm f1.4, 85mm rokinon, 17-40mm f/4, and 24-105mm f/4 all canon lenses so I kind of have to get a speedbooster. I'm also going to keep my 5d for photography purposes.

About to do a crazy drive around the us im looking for mirrorless camera good for vlogging, any recommendations?? Trying to keep it sleek

About to do a crazy drive around the us im looking for mirrorless camera good for vlogging, any recommendations?? Trying to keep it sleek
the Canon 80D is supposed to be good for that, same with the M6, the G85 should also be pretty good. I see a lot of people using Panasonic stuff for videography so it should be something to look into.

the Canon 80D is supposed to be good for that, same with the M6, the G85 should also be pretty good. I see a lot of people using Panasonic stuff for videography so it should be something to look into.

Hmm so im trying to keep cost low and video at 1080 24p. Im looking at the Panasonic gx850, the Sony a5100 and the a6000. Anyone got experiences with them??

Hmm so im trying to keep cost low and video at 1080 24p. Im looking at the Panasonic gx850, the Sony a5100 and the a6000. Anyone got experiences with them??
You can try going used, G7 is about 500 bucks and does 4k. If you must get something get the A6000, though whenever I pick one up I don't like the build quality of it. Grip is too narrow, I'm too used to my DSLRs.

Got

Banned
Got the SA-21 film spool today for the Nikon LS 5000 and it works a dream. Best deal ever after all in with that and Vuescan.

Flo_Evans

That roll of Tmax 400 is the icing on the cake ;o

I can't figure out how to get it in the camera!

They had an instant rebate so I got $100 worth of store credit I had to spend. Of course they had no extra gh5 batteries or anything really useful.

Got them to price match $150 for the 25mm 1.7.

Borrowed my brothers 100-300 and went to the zoo.

Actually shot mostly handheld, initial impressions are the IBS is better than sonys. Might be the low rolling shutter that makes it appear more stable.

Got my brothers Nikon to MFT adapter (just pass through no speedbooster unfortunately). He also has the 12-35mm 2.8 and the Olympus 12mm. Olympus lenses seem to have better build quality and manual focus action. Not sure if I am going to get a speedbooster now or another prime.

TheShinobi

Neo Member
Would it be worth it to switch from Canon to Nikon d500 for wildlife? Or should I just wait and see if they do a 7d mark iii? I know glass is more important but im not sure which company has the better telephoto glass.

Would it be worth it to switch from Canon to Nikon d500 for wildlife? Or should I just wait and see if they do a 7d mark iii? I know glass is more important but im not sure which company has the better telephoto glass.
I think both systems seem to mirror each other lens wise. Though I have heard the D500 paired with the Nikon 200-500 is a top notch combo, D500 has a class leading AF system and sensor compared to the 7Dmkii. There will probably be a 7Dmkiii at some point, but who knows if it will knock out a D500, since I still would personally take a D810 over a 5DSR, but that's just me. How invested are you in Canon?

TheShinobi

Neo Member
I think both systems seem to mirror each other lens wise. Though I have heard the D500 paired with the Nikon 200-500 is a top notch combo, D500 has a class leading AF system and sensor compared to the 7Dmkii. There will probably be a 7Dmkiii at some point, but who knows if it will knock out a D500, since I still would personally take a D810 over a 5DSR, but that's just me. How invested are you in Canon?
Im over 1000$ in, but I think I could easily sell off my 300mm f4. Im honestly more afraid of learning a new system again and I have to put in more research after planning the path I wanted to take with Canon. That 200-500 looks really nice though.

Im over 1000$ in, but I think I could easily sell off my 300mm f4. Im honestly more afraid of learning a new system again and I have to put in more research after planning the path I wanted to take with Canon. That 200-500 looks really nice though.
Nikon has multiple versions of 300mm F4 primes. It's not that hard to switch two and from, but it does really depend on what you're comfortable with. You'll most likely be fine within a week of solid shooting. I'm always just thrown off badly cause I don't shoot Canon consistent enough. Most likely Nikon has a version of whatever Canon lens you were looking at minus F1.2 glass, but those aren't wildlife lenses to begin with.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The best way to find out is to rent some gear for a week and test it yourself. Your case use is very specific.

Flo_Evans

I think nikon is currently ahead with the 300 f/4 and the 200-500. D500 is amazing.

That said its going to be a whole lot of money for not much improvement. I don't think canon has anything like the 200-500 for $1400 bucks though. But I bet they are working on it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
switching systems is expensive.

What exactly is it that you find lacking in your canon gear?

also sometimes the grass is greener cause theres more shit over there.