• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

Has anyone ever purchase anything for mpb.com ? if so good, bad?

mpb is basically a site like KEH.com

MPB looks reputable, website has good reviews on reseller ratings and whatnot. I browse KEH from time to time when I'm looking for deals on glass, but I haven't bought anything yet.

Nikon Rumors occasionally gets coupon codes to use on KEH but latest ones are expired.

TheShinobi

Neo Member
switching systems is expensive.

What exactly is it that you find lacking in your canon gear?

also sometimes the grass is greener cause theres more shit over there.
I guess I dont find anything lacking yet, I just wasnt sure if the Nikon side is just a huge improvement or not. I currently use a rebel t3 and want to upgrade to the 7d mark ii,but I was also considering changing brands if it would be a big upgrade.

Ty4on

MPB looks reputable, website has good reviews on reseller ratings and whatnot. I browse KEH from time to time when I'm looking for deals on glass, but I haven't bought anything yet.

Nikon Rumors occasionally gets coupon codes to use on KEH but latest ones are expired.
KEH's selection has shrunk a lot. I used to browse it to see what lenses were worth, but now there are so many lenses missing.

---------------------------

There's a test of vignetting with GH5 + 18-35 f1.8 with Speedbooster XL here
Nothing in video apparently.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I guess I dont find anything lacking yet, I just wasnt sure if the Nikon side is just a huge improvement or not. I currently use a rebel t3 and want to upgrade to the 7d mark ii,but I was also considering changing brands if it would be a big upgrade.

well yea a 7d II or d500 would be a huge upgrade auto focus wise. Canon and nikon put in lesser AF systems in their entry level cameras.

well yea a 7d II or d500 would be a huge upgrade auto focus wise. Canon and nikon put in lesser AF systems in their entry level cameras.
Not to mention the step in build quality. I want nothing to do with Rebels and D3xxx/D5xxx toy cameras, they feel horrible to me in the hands.

My latest pickup. Not quite the camera of my dreams, but it will do as my introduction to full frame. First lens on my list is the 55mm prime.

18253320_1483323341717743_5121749295048949760_n.jpg

Flo_Evans

The IBIS in the GH5 is really, really good. I was just going to use only adapted lenses but after trying the 100-300 with image stabilization + the IBIS I might get more native lenses. I was about to order a gimbal for it but IDK.

Going to mess around with building some handheld rigs today.

The IBIS in the GH5 is really, really good. I was just going to use only adapted lenses but after trying the 100-300 with image stabilization + the IBIS I might get more native lenses. I was about to order a gimbal for it but IDK.

Going to mess around with building some handheld rigs today.
That's really touching on why I want nothing for video work...I do it for my job, but freelancing? Nope with the amount of prep work and extra stuff to bring and rigs I want nothing to do with it. I always find it weird that nobody seems to use the Panasonic stuff for simple photography work.

Flo_Evans

I haven't even taken a photo with it. :p

I should be able to slim down my video kit considerably with the GH5. Don't need external recorder as the internal codec is good, and it has vectorscopes and good peaking, zebras, all that jazz. Lighter so I can use smaller fluid head and tripod. They even have an XLR preamp that goes in the hot shoe so I could do away with my zoom h4n if I wanted to.

I should try some product shots with it the longer DOF can be useful sometimes. 20mp should be plenty for print, most shots end up on the web.

I'm thinking of getting a Fuji x100f. I had the 100s and it is my all time most used camera. It broke though once and had to pay 400 to fix it... then it broke again and I'm thinking I might as well upgrade since I have the cash and I have been itching to start my street photography again.

Question: what are some similar cameras like it or ones that can maybe switch to a 50mm lends? Where do I get one? It's sold out on Amazon.

Got

Banned
I'm thinking of getting a Fuji x100f. I had the 100s and it is my all time most used camera. It broke though once and had to pay 400 to fix it... then it broke again and I'm thinking I might as well upgrade since I have the cash and I have been itching to start my street photography again.

Question: what are some similar cameras like it or ones that can maybe switch to a 50mm lends? Where do I get one? It's sold out on Amazon.

X100F is superb so you should get it and if you are looking for a 50mm equivalent, they have an amazing adapter that changes the 35mm lens to a 50mm lens without losing any image quality or f-stops.

As far as getting one, they are hard to come by because Fuji is having a hard time with manufacturing demands as they have a bunch of cameras that use the same sensor. I'd look to eBay at reputable dealers or https://mpex.com/ has them but slight delay in shipping until they get stock. Otherwise, sign up for some kind of inventory tracker that gives alerts for items you want to buy that are in short supply.

X100F is superb so you should get it and if you are looking for a 50mm equivalent, they have an amazing adapter that changes the 35mm lens to a 50mm lens without losing any image quality or f-stops.

As far as getting one, they are hard to come by because Fuji is having a hard time with manufacturing demands as they have a bunch of cameras that use the same sensor. I'd look to eBay at reputable dealers or https://mpex.com/ has them but slight delay in shipping until they get stock. Otherwise, sign up for some kind of inventory tracker that gives alerts for items you want to buy that are in short supply.

thanks

same thing happened with my 100s where it was hard to get. i think i ordered off ebay from a shop in hong kong so it didn't have warranty in NA

Got

Banned
thanks

same thing happened with my 100s where it was hard to get. i think i ordered off ebay from a shop in hong kong so it didn't have warranty in NA

yeah it can be a gamble to order grey market but generally camera manufacturers don't make a fuss if something happens. still a gamble but an option. Hopefully MPEX has them in stock soon for you.

Funny enough, yesterday I convinced a friend to get the X100F as well so we ran into this when looking into it.

yeah it can be a gamble to order grey market but generally camera manufacturers don't make a fuss if something happens. still a gamble but an option. Hopefully MPEX has them in stock soon for you.

Funny enough, yesterday I convinced a friend to get the X100F as well so we ran into this when looking into it.

Just contacted them and there is no ETA. Looks like I'm going ebay.

Guess I should just get one from whoever the most positive rep and is located in hong kong or tokyo?

Got

Banned
Just contacted them and there is no ETA. Looks like I'm going ebay.

Guess I should just get one from whoever the most positive rep and is located in hong kong or tokyo?

I'd try for the US if possible. Easier to handle a return if things go south

arrange the results be nearest to me first on ebay which will show one's taht are probably in the US

Had my eye on the X100F as well. Seeing that I LOVE my x100s i wanted to stay in the Fuji family when upgrading, but I went the X-Pro 2 route.

Thanks, I went ahead and purchase the X-Pro 2 from MPB.

For some odd reason when I'm doing corporate head shots I wouldn't hesitate to bring my reflector umbrella and light stand, but for my modeling stuff I don't even bother.

Rien

Jelly Belly
My gf really wants to buy a camera for beginning photography but she doenst really know where to start.
Can somebody in here give a recommendation for a starter? Her budget is around �450/500,-

Thank you in advance.

My gf really wants to buy a camera for beginning photography but she doenst really know where to start.
Can somebody in here give a recommendation for a starter? Her budget is around �450/500,-

Thank you in advance.
What is that in american dollars and what form factor?

Rien

Jelly Belly
What is that in american dollars and what form factor?

Its 549.83 in American dollars and we are looking for a SLR camera. We have our eye on a Nikkon D3300 or a
D3400. Not sure what u mean with form factor but i hope i answered your question :)

Its 549.83 in American dollars and we are looking for a SLR camera. We have our eye on a Nikkon D3300 or a
D3400. Not sure what u mean with form factor but i hope i answered your question :)
Yeah that works. I hate the toy brand cameras personally, see if you can find a refurb D7100, it's what I started on for the most part and it's still a really good camera. By for factor I pretty much meant size so that helped. If you want something smaller with newer tech you can look into a Panasonic G7, it's a micro 4/3rds sensor though.

My latest pickup. Not quite the camera of my dreams, but it will do as my introduction to full frame. First lens on my list is the 55mm prime.

18253320_1483323341717743_5121749295048949760_n.jpg

I have the same exact combo, it's great.

Great camera except for two things:
- battery life (always have a spare with me)
- focusing lag larger than a normal dslr

Image quality is outstanding however.. well, you can't have it all, isn't it?..

The battery thing might be the reason why I'm hesitant on mirrorless. I don't always keep my camera charged fully and sometimes I wind up not charging the thing for like a week. I just keep two batteries in there and depending on what I'm doing I don't have to charge it for a week. I had to do a corporate headshot shoot today with no warning. Banged out about 390 shots and still have two bars left on the battery that's in the grip, just checked and it's at 25%. That's a battery that has been on an event shoot, and a model shoot the next day, so in total 787 pics, not including whatever I delete while chimping. The battery in the camera is on a 97% charge so I can still probably do two long haul shoots without a recharge.

Thank you in advance.

I personally would recommend the Canon EOS M. You can probably get one for under 300 bucks with a lens. It's a smaller form factor mirrorless and most of the functionality is on a touch screen, but for the price it takes great photos and video. It also has all sorts of adapters so you can use other Canon or branded lenses. You can installation custom firmware called Magic Lantern on it and unlock a whole slew of incredible features.

I have the first gen EOS M. I think they have like 5 out now. It still holds up very well

The battery thing might be the reason why I'm hesitant on mirrorless. I don't always keep my camera charged fully and sometimes I wind up not charging the thing for like a week. I just keep two batteries in there and depending on what I'm doing I don't have to charge it for a week. I had to do a corporate headshot shoot today with no warning. Banged out about 390 shots and still have two bars left on the battery that's in the grip, just checked and it's at 25%. That's a battery that has been on an event shoot, and a model shoot the next day, so in total 787 pics, not including whatever I delete while chimping. The battery in the camera is on a 97% charge so I can still probably do two long haul shoots without a recharge.

Yeah I've learn to manage with the a6000. Always have at least 3 batteries with me. That and my girlfriend also carries plenty of spares. The one thing I did with that camera was to buy a 3rd party grip. It helped with the battery life, but sometimes it was buggy and wouldn't really tell me how much battery I have left.

The a7ii also has a grip, an official one, and that can hold two batteries. That might be a worthwhile investment. However it still won't give you the battery performance Nikon, and Canon have.

Yeah I've learn to manage with the a6000. Always have at least 3 batteries with me. That and my girlfriend also carries plenty of spares. The one thing I did with that camera was to buy a 3rd party grip. It helped with the battery life, but sometimes it was buggy and wouldn't really tell me how much battery I have left.

The a7ii also has a grip, an official one, and that can hold two batteries. That might be a worthwhile investment. However it still won't give you the battery performance Nikon, and Canon have.
I think once you get used to the longevity of a fat dslr battery it's hard to deal with something else. That and the nature of EVF's in general kind of spell battery drain. I can shoot all day without switching. I've probably only killed a battery once on my D7100 during an all day parade shoot where I shot probably 1200 pictures.

Anyone here have a d750 and have an unusual amount of dust on their sensor?

Been itching to try out Canon, ell my shit and make the switch but is there even a d750 equivalent? As in under $2000 full frame that is not outdated?

Or am I going about this all wrong and should upgrade my Nikon body?

I mostly shoot landscapes but I also do real estate, weddings and some events in the Hamptons on my free time.

Been itching to try out Canon, ell my shit and make the switch but is there even a d750 equivalent? As in under $2000 full frame that is not outdated?

I mostly shoot landscapes but I also do real estate, weddings and some events in the Hamptons on my free time.
Just take an air blower and blow out the sensor, worst case scenario just clean off your sensor. Might just be from constant lens switching. If it permeates send it to Nikon.

I'd just get the sensor cleaned. Mine doesn't have any dust, but I don't switch lenses very often. There's not much to upgrade TO for Nikon, unless you want the D810 for added megapixels, but the D750 still excels in low light. A successor to the 810 is probably coming this summer, so you may want to wait for that.

Switching to Canon doesn't make a lot of sense to me, considering they're both DSLR's of a similar type. If you were to switch, I'd go mirrorless, either Sony full frame or Fuji.

I'd just get the sensor cleaned. Mine doesn't have any dust, but I don't switch lenses very often. There's not much to upgrade TO for Nikon, unless you want the D810 for added megapixels, but the D750 still excels in low light. A successor to the 810 is probably coming this summer, so you may want to wait for that.

Switching to Canon doesn't make a lot of sense to me, considering they're both DSLR's of a similar type. If you were to switch, I'd go mirrorless, either Sony full frame or Fuji.
I got the D810 over the 750 mainly for build quality, it's no slouch in low light either...it's not at good as the 750 is supposed to be, but I have no complaints really.

I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest the EOS M over the slew of other, more dedicated, MILCs.

I only suggest it since you can get the body for around 100 bucks. You can use the rest of the budget on getting different lenses. I can't say that's a bad deal for somebody who is just starting out

I only suggest it since you can get the body for around 100 bucks. You can use the rest of the budget on getting different lenses. I can't say that's a bad deal for somebody who is just starting out
I'm personally leery with recommending people older mirrorless cameras cause it took that industry a good chunk of time to get it's act together. Pretty much anything that isn't an A6000 would be a no go for me and ergonomically I don't even like the A6000. The M looks like a Sony A5100, which is another camera I'd never go for. You can get an Olympus EM10 Mk 1 and still get a better camera than the Canon M.
Yep, if your job depends on a working camera, beefy battery life is a helluva lot more valuable on the spec sheet.
Exactly. That's why I'm weirded out by people thinking photojournalists are going to trade in their DSLR's for Sony bodies. No the fuck they ain't. Matt Granger couldn't even make the switch and that was because of their shoddy customer service. Sony has good tech, I'll always applaud their tech, but some of the tech doesn't really replace practicality and shit actually working.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

A D750 is more than enough to do all those things.

Exactly. That's why I'm weirded out by people thinking photojournalists are going to trade in their DSLR's for Sony bodies. No the fuck they ain't. Matt Granger couldn't even make the switch and that was because of their shoddy customer service. Sony has good tech, I'll always applaud their tech, but some of the tech doesn't really replace practicality and shit actually working.

Yeah, real world performance is hard to quantify on a spec sheet. There's a lot of variables to consider.

Yeah, real world performance is hard to quantify on a spec sheet. There's a lot of variables to consider.
This is why you've got to look at a dude weird if he's reviewing a camera that he's only had for a half hour. I think you've really got to put a camera through its paces for a bit before you can get a good read on it. I'm still learning stuff about my D810.

Does anyone here have the Sony FE 55mm lens? I just got my copy today and the aperture closing and opening is pretty loud in the Auto mode. Is that normal?

Luke_Wal

I started my own thread for this in OT because I hadn't found this one yet, but here's my question:

Basically, I'm a classic prosumer: I shoot a lot of portraits for a volunteer organization I'm a part of, but until now, I've always been using other people's cameras (either a t5, t5i, or a6000 depending on whose I'm using that week). I just haven't been able to justify the cost for how much I use it, especially when other cameras are at the ready, but I recently found out I can get a really good deal on a Sony camera through work, and I think it's time to make the jump.

Admittedly, I'm more familiar with using the Canons/DSLR (I used to do a lot of sports photography, and that's what my parents have), but I've really liked the a6000 the couple times I've used it. Is it still a good entry level camera? I would be getting the body, 16-55 lens, and 55-210 lens. I'm also becoming more familiar with photo editing tools (I've always had others do that for me but am learning on my own), so I'm looking for something that will help me work magic with Lightroom.

Is this camera still considered one that would last me a good long time?

I started my own thread for this in OT because I hadn't found this one yet, but here's my question:

Basically, I'm a classic prosumer: I shoot a lot of portraits for a volunteer organization I'm a part of, but until now, I've always been using other people's cameras (either a t5, t5i, or a6000 depending on whose I'm using that week). I just haven't been able to justify the cost for how much I use it, especially when other cameras are at the ready, but I recently found out I can get a really good deal on a Sony camera through work, and I think it's time to make the jump.

Admittedly, I'm more familiar with using the Canons/DSLR (I used to do a lot of sports photography, and that's what my parents have), but I've really liked the a6000 the couple times I've used it. Is it still a good entry level camera? I would be getting the body, 16-55 lens, and 55-210 lens. I'm also becoming more familiar with photo editing tools (I've always had others do that for me but am learning on my own), so I'm looking for something that will help me work magic with Lightroom.

Work? Better get a D610 at the very least or 6D.

snaffles

Yes it is still a good entry level camera with great image quality, especially if you can get a good deal on it. Not sure why Jaded is recommending those other cameras based on what you wrote.