• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Zelda BOTW Extended Handheld Mode Play (offscreen)

It's almost as if battery packs and USB-C cables don't exist and are by no means ubiquitous in 2017. No, there's no way I could possibly charge my phone 3-4x in a day using a battery pack that weighs < 1lb with a lightning cable, nor do I plug in my phone while laying in bed or on my couch because charging bricks and cables are so easy to have around your house nowadays.

No way. It is the decree of the modern world that you must play, at most, one battery charge's worth of game time on the Switch with no access whatsoever to portable or fixed power, at max brightness, and while using online services. You must then put it down and DONT YOU DARE play it again until it's back to full charge.

Come one people. Molehill -> Mountain.

Yeah, I expect a portable battery will alleviate many of the battery lifespan issues. I mean it already does with my 3DS.

I'm glad it's looking nice on the tablet. I'm mostly going to be Switchin' as a TV console but I'm sure there'll be times where I'm glad I can take it wherever.

Yes I'm aware of the battery.

gamerMan

This game looks so amazing but I hate that it is stuck behind weak hardware. It's does look better on the small screen which is quite an upgrade from the Wii U. Looks like this is the way to play the Switch.

I am disappointed that it doesn't have the resolution to look good on the TV. I was hoping a Switch upgrade would make it can look like this on TV.

Ish6nntkdak3pdvq7i3v.jpg

What is still a bit amazing and some may downplay, is that... that's the "console".

This is not a screen someone is streaming from a PS4, Steam or Wii U.

That right there is doing everything.

I personally would've preferred a system like a PS4 or Wii U along with handheld devices I could play from remotely or on the go with the same cartridge.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
It's almost as if battery packs and USB-C cables don't exist and are by no means ubiquitous in 2017. No, there's no way I could possibly charge my phone 3-4x in a day using a battery pack that weighs < 1lb with a lightning cable, nor do I plug in my phone while laying in bed or on my couch because charging bricks and cables are so easy to have around your house nowadays.

No way. It is the decree of the modern world that you must play, at most, one battery charge's worth of game time on the Switch with no access whatsoever to portable or fixed power, at max brightness, and while using online services. You must then put it down and DONT YOU DARE play it again until it's back to full charge.

Come one people. Molehill -> Mountain.

I purchase my laptops based on the battery life. As do I my cellphones. My iPad gets a SOLID 10-12 hours watching movies; more if I just browse the web.

Sure, of course I have a couple external battery packs. But it's not crazy to want more than ~2.5hrs of gameplay out of a premiere handheld video game system. That's admittedly disappointing.

Especially if there's no quick charge - then you may still LOSE battery life while plugged into an external battery.

rekameohs

Banned
It's a very pretty screen. I just wish there wasn't so much other baggage with this console. Exact same thing without all the fancy rumbles and IRs and software weirdness, even the same battery life would be fine with me.

Looking at this (and don't get me wrong because Zelda looks superb and it's cool that I can play it on my TV and then take it on the go) but I could only think of one thing. Pokémon on my TV....It's gonna be spool good.

Although Switch is a handheld, I see myself mainly playing on my TV. If I'm home I don't see myself playing the handheld on the couch/bed when my TV is literally right in front of me. But the fact that a fully fledged Zelda game could be played on the go...

pwqQhOr.jpg

Having said that, I wonder how this 900p game would look on my 4k set?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
My laptop charger will charge my Switch. I'll have a way to plug it in wherever I go. I don't really see the battery as an issue at all...

This right here is why I don't get the hate for the Switch. Fucking magic to me that this game is portable. Can't wait to curl up in bed and while away the hours.

If you speaking from technical Point of view, you have been able to play far more technical advanced games in your bed since 2013 on your PS Vita remote play. Seems like many people have missed this for some reason (with twice the battery length) But yeah will still pick up a switch when it gets it second hard ware revision

Nimby

Banned
I purchase my laptops based on the battery life. As do I my cellphones. My iPad gets a SOLID 10-12 hours watching movies; more if I just browse the web.

Sure, of course I have a couple external battery packs. But it's not crazy to want more than ~2.5hrs of gameplay out of a premiere handheld video game system. That's admittedly disappointing.

Especially if there's no quick charge - then you may still LOSE battery life while plugged into an external battery.

I believe this post should ease the battery concerns a bit:

TL:DR

- Switch's battery is far bigger than any other gaming device
- Switch's battery is as big as they could possibly fit in there given the active cooling
- Switch definitely uses quick charging (source: FCC & James Clerk Maxwell)
- Switch probably charges to ~80% battery in about 90 minutes

DooMAGE

If you speaking from technical Point of view, you have been able to play far more technical advanced games in your bed since 2013 on your PS Vita remote play. Seems like many people have missed this for some reason (with twice the battery length) But yeah will still pick up a switch when it gets it second hard ware revision

You are comparing a game played by Stream over a game running natively? o.o'
cute

finalflame

Gold Member

I'm sure you'll be able to charge while playing just fine. My MBP, iPhone, and iPad also all have better battery life but aren't a powerful handheld gaming system in a slim form factor. Sorry to break it to you, but battery tech hasn't advanced enough to warrant the kinds of jumps you're hoping for to make a premium handheld system deliver > 3 hours of battery life and not be a brick. What exactly will you do where you game for > 3 hours without access to any additional power?

It's just REALLY not a big deal, but people are latching on to it like it's the end all be all of this convertible home/handheld console. If you need to be gaming without access to a power cable for > 3 hours (worst case scenario, let's not forget the upper end is 6 hours and the 3DS had little problem reaching its higher end battery estimates), then game on your phone or iPad something. Also it's naive and misleading to compare movie playback and web browsing with real-time 3D rendering and game logic processing.

If you speaking from technical Point of view, you have been able to play far more technical advanced games in your bed since 2013 on your PS Vita remote play.

Yeah, but it's not like Vita Remote Play even accomplishes enabling that as well as literally any of its alternatives. I can't stand remote play on Vita, personally. It's certainly not comparable to actually playing a game on the device it's being rendered on.

orioto

Good Art™
Yeah i have to admit this is magic to look at...

Now stop that shit Nintendo, remove those fucking detachable joy-cons and the dock and give me just that portable for a descent price, is it so hard -_-

It's amazing to have the perfect product right there and decide to ruin it cause you're insecure..

finalflame

Gold Member
Streaming a compressed video stream of a game with significant input latency and rendering a game natively are not even remotely the same. This comparison makes my head hurt.

This right here is exactly why I'm buying the Switch. Mostly just to use it as a super powerful handheld and not really a home console

LotusHD

Banned
This right here is exactly why I'm buying the Switch. Mostly just to use it as a super powerful handheld and not really a home console

Same, for all the various reasons that it makes me not want to buy it, at the end of the day, I already know I have to.

DooMAGE

Streaming a compressed video stream of a game with significant input latency and rendering a game natively are not even remotely the same. This comparison makes my head hurt.

This guy is just NeoGAF in a nutshell when it comes to find stuff to bash Nintendo.
Its hard to have a good discussion here when there is so much shitpost.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
This right here is why I don't get the hate for the Switch. Fucking magic to me that this game is portable. Can't wait to curl up in bed and while away the hours.

To be fair, many just dislike portables and only play on their big screens so there's no magic there for them.

orioto

Good Art™

Would be interesting to have a poll about that. Would not surprise me if 70% of Switch buyers think the same.

Which is why that whole "switch" concept is dumb. A big part of the cost is justified by things that nobody wants (the dock, the motion control..)

DooMAGE

Would be interesting to have a poll about that. Would not surprise me if 70% of Switch buyers think the same.

Which is why that whole "switch" concept is dumb. A big part of the cost is justified by things that nobody wants (the dock, the motion control..)

You must have a good data to say that nobody wants something.

Same boat for me. I'll use it docked a lot for sure, but handheld will probably be my primary way of playing around the house.

I just really hope that 3DS titles such as Pokémon and Monster Hunter come to the Switch. If they don't, I would be incredibly disappointed, since those are my favorite game series on the 3DS.

As someone with kids and a full time career the chances I get to game are so few and far between, and I don't always have the chance to get in fromt of a TV like I would want. That's why I want the Switch to be good so bad. It completely fits my lifestyle needs. Being able to get in front of the tv or use the portable screen as needed

orioto

Good Art™
You must have a good data to say that nobody wants something.

Yup this is a little extreme! But at least based on actual facts from this past gen, 60 millions people played nintendo games on a portable versus 15 millions on a tv ;) It has to mean something.

ghibli99

I've ranted a bit on FB about last night's presentation. So many concerns...

...but then I see this and all of them melt away. I just want to play this so badly right now!

I wonder if that is an old build. It is missing the weather thing next to the map...or I wonder if you dont have that at the beginning.

jonno394

dayum! I had no intention of playing it as a handheld until watching this and I think Zelda may well be played entirely in portable mode for me now while lying down on my bed.

Astral Dog

Dont you need a Vita for that? Not the same dude

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looks great - but the difference between a Nintendo rep who knows what he is doing and some random player is quite high. Was really funny to see the player running out of weapons and stuff lol.

KooopaKid

Banned
Yeah i have to admit this is magic to look at...

Now stop that shit Nintendo, remove those fucking detachable joy-cons and the dock and give me just that portable for a descent price, is it so hard -_-

It's amazing to have the perfect product right there and decide to ruin it cause you're insecure..

It has to be coming sooner than later.

Wallach

For me the reason I'm actually buying this when I haven't bought anything Nintendo related (until this weekend where I'm using some connections to get a Wii U and catch up on things I've missed) since the Wii (or the DS lite, I don't recall which of those I bought first they were around the same time for me) is precisely because it is both of these things. Part of the reason I bailed on Nintendo's ecosystem is because there were too many games that I wanted to play that got split up between their console and their handheld systems. Some stuff would appear on portable that you wish got the budget and resources of a console, but at the same time it's great to be able to take a game with you or play in bed. This time they're basically going to do everything off the same platform, and while I wish it had a little more power to offer for TV play, I'm fine with the power compromise in exchange for getting all of Nintendo's games in the same place and being able to play all of them both on the tablet or the TV.

Personally I also consider the motion controls a good thing. I dunno how many folks have used a Steam controller but I consider more accurate gyros very useful for "normal" gameplay in anything that involves aiming. The combination of right stick control pairs really well with using the gyro for fine adjustments which I feel analog sticks kind of suck at. I use it that way with the Steam controller when I can, and I hope that games like Splatoon and BotW allow for gyro input for doing things like aiming down sights (like say having the bow drawn in BotW) that you can pair with right stick aim. In my opinion it becomes super natural and more accurate than strictly aiming with the right stick in a very short time.

Top Bottom