• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Zelda BOTW Extended Handheld Mode Play (offscreen)

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
This right here is why I don't get the hate for the Switch. Fucking magic to me that this game is portable. Can't wait to curl up in bed and while away the hours.

Xdrive05

That really does look unbelievably good for handheld. And that's running in the 150gf profile, presumably, since it's on battery power.

This is probably how I'll be playing it at least half the time.

MattyG

Banned
This is crazy good, really hoping this gets solid software support because it could be killer with the handheld side of this.

There are reasonable, legitimate criticisms. It's not all "hate."
Yeah, people need to understand that criticism is nuanced. Hell, I had my preorder in for the console and the Master Edition of Zelda within a minute of them being available, but I've been criticizing the thing all day. It's not a binary thing, you can like some aspects and not like others.

finalflame

Gold Member
There are reasonable, legitimate criticisms. It's not all "hate."

Yup, there's some legitimate and level-headed criticism sprinkled in with a ton of overblown nintendoom over-reactionary unconstructive crap commentary. As someone who buys Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, seeing a graphically impressive open world Zelda on a handheld is a dream. It's not everyone's cup 'o tea, but it sure will be a lot of people's.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Only 3 games of consequence for 2017. Wii U droughts all over again

I made a super reactionary comment about "NO WAI THERES MORE THAN THREE" , and then I realized, wtf am I doing with my life right now?

BOTW looks incredible, and judging from this video it also seems like a perfect "chill out" game. Can't wait.

Looks/runs great. Shame that there's so little software. Hopefully, it will sell well, and then the developers will come. I guess we'll see.

This right here is why I don't get the hate for the Switch. Fucking magic to me that this game is portable. Can't wait to curl up in bed and while away the hours.

The game looks amazing and is the main reason why I'm preordering a Switch... but I mean, this is magic to you? The Vita is 5+ years old and has been doing Xbox/PS2 console level stuff. PS3/X360 level games on a portable should be completely expected at this point.

Curl away for the ~3 hours you mean? Sorry, I had to lol.

Game looks really good....I unfortunately cannot be duped like I was with the Wii U by Nintendo again, the Switch is definitely a wait and see this time around.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
This right here is why I don't get the hate for the Switch. Fucking magic to me that this game is portable. Can't wait to curl up in bed and while away the 2.5 hours.

Fixed ;)

EDIT: Damn, beaten.

jax

Banned
The game looks amazing and is the main reason why I'm preordering a Switch... but I mean, this is magic to you? The Vita is 5+ years old and has been doing Xbox/PS2 console level stuff. PS3/X360 level games on a portable should be completely expected at this point.
It's clearly more powerful than that.

Also, you don't see the competition coming anywhere close. And it's Nintendo. That's what makes it magical.

psyfi

Banned
AHHHHH it's perfect! I'm gonna be playing in handheld mode 80% of the time. I really excited to not be glued to the TV anymore. It was my of my favorite things about the Wii U before I sold mine.

13ruce

Banned
Looks sexy af in handheld mode tbh.
Great for when my sister or mother want to watch tv no need to play upstairs then in my room:p

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just watched it - wow, that looks great. Seems to be running really well.

Is there a fan in the device?

fernoca

What is still a bit amazing and some may downplay, is that... that's the "console".

This is not a screen someone is streaming from a PS4, Steam or Wii U.

That right there is doing everything.

13ruce

Banned
Screen looks beautiful.

Let's hope I don't regret buying this thing. I really hope 3rd parties get on board :(

If you like indie games and japanese games don't worry but the normal third parties like on ps4 or xbone? Expect a few a year not much more.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.

Well, what I loved about the VITA was the potential for fully console-type experiences in handheld form. But it never fully came to fruition. So for me, seeing that idea revitalized by Nintendo, and getting a console Zelda in handheld form... yeah that feels kinda magical.

Screen looks beautiful.

Let's hope I don't regret buying this thing. I really hope 3rd parties get on board :(

I expect Sega, Capcom, Atlus(which i guess falls under Sega but also not really as Sega grants them some autonomy), Square-Enix, etc will most likely provide good support. Indies will too. Portable Skyrim will be nice.

Well, what I loved about the VITA was the potential for fully console-type experiences in handheld form. But it never fully came to fruition. So for me, seeing that idea revitalized by Nintendo, and getting a console Zelda in handheld form... yeah that feels kinda magical.

Most of the console games on vita are ps3 games that don't run as well on ps3 or smaller digital ps4 titles. It also requires me frequently to buy two copies to take my progress on the go. Switch keeping my progress when I leave the house without needing to upload/download is awesome.

If you like indie games and japanese games don't worry but the normal third parties like on ps4 or xbone? Expect a few a year not much more.
More indie games than Wii U alone would be huge for me.

I just want the likes of Downwell, Undertale, Omori, The Witness, etc

finalflame

Gold Member
Curl away for the ~3 hours you mean? Sorry, I had to lol.

Game looks really good....I unfortunately cannot be duped like I was with the Wii U by Nintendo again, the Switch is definitely a wait and see this time around.

It's almost as if battery packs and USB-C cables don't exist and are by no means ubiquitous in 2017. No, there's no way I could possibly charge my phone 3-4x in a day using a battery pack that weighs < 1lb with a lightning cable, nor do I plug in my phone while laying in bed or on my couch because charging bricks and cables are so easy to have around your house nowadays.

No way. It is the decree of the modern world that you must play, at most, one battery charge's worth of game time on the Switch with no access whatsoever to portable or fixed power, at max brightness, and while using online services. You must then put it down and DONT YOU DARE play it again until it's back to full charge.

Come one people. Molehill -> Mountain.

Tbh the concerns about battery life confuse me. I don't think that battery life on a portable game console really needs to be much more than 3 hours if you're planning to play it during down time, that's just me though.

NSESN

Is probabbly just me being a portable fanboy, but I am loving the portable mode much more than the console mode.

psyfi

Banned
Tbh the concerns about battery life confuse me. I don't think that battery life on a portable game console really needs to be much more than 3 hours if you're planning to play it during down time, that's just me though.
It's only going to be an issue for long road trips / flights. Otherwise, it'll never effect me.

Top Bottom