• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So buying a used WiiU has its advantages

This is why I'm not investing in Nintendo hardware until it is fixed. I wasted a lot of money on Wii buying VC games that I should just be able to have installed on my 3DS.. but now they are gone.

And no I am not clinging on to old hardware, it should have been tied to a universal Nintendo account from the get-go.

Same problems with PS3 and how some saved games are tied to the system.. it's a nightmare when you are forced to buy a new system. I hope next-generation will have a system similar to Steam-cloud.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Interesting and not surprising consider Nintendo is behind badly not just in terms of HW but SW services.

softie

This is why I'm not investing in Nintendo hardware until it is fixed. I wasted a lot of money on Wii buying VC games that I should just be able to have installed on my 3DS.. but now they are gone.

And no I am not clinging on to old hardware, it should have been tied to a universal Nintendo account from the get-go.

Same problems with PS3 and how some saved games are tied to the system.. it's a nightmare when you are forced to buy a new system. I hope next-generation will have a system similar to Steam-cloud.

Yes, Nintendo and its shitty online system prevents me from purchasing anything digitally for their systems.

On PSN at least you have the option of PS+ and cloud saves or copying all your stuff via LAN cable for all saves, etc. They'll work on both systems afterwards. ;-)

IGN just posted this story, very interesting how they keep taking GAF threads and creating stories out of them. Good thing they are giving credit.

This is beyond rediculous. So it's official that our NNIDs really are just pointless, glorified Miis. Hopefully this is the final wake up call to smack some sense into Nintendo to update the account system to the way it should've been made in the first place.

I don't see how. A broken system is a broken system. If he's having problems getting it fixed and all of his games are tied to that console, he can't even sell his old one and just buy a new one, which is what I would probably rather do and have done with my 360 before.

My point is that having the games tied to the console is stupid. Maybe it's easier for them than typing games to a user account and they just plop the consequence in the consumer's lap. I don't know but that's kind of what it feels like to me.

Yes, Nintendo and its shitty online system prevents me from purchasing anything digitally for their systems.

On PSN at least you have the option of PS+ and cloud saves or copying all your stuff via LAN cable for all saves, etc. They'll work on both systems afterwards. ;-)

Yes, it's good knowing that even when not owning any Sony hardware at this time, I can just keep track of my PSN ID and access some of my purchased content on Vita or my next PS3/4.

softie

Yes, it's good knowing that even when not owning any Sony hardware at this time, I can just keep track of my PSN ID and access some of my purchased content on Vita or my next PS3/4.

Yeah, even on Smartphones/Tablets/TVs you can use your PSN ID to purchase and access stuff. I really don't know how Nintendo could fuck up such a basic thing so badly. This is not how you build up customer royality in this digital age...

Pein

Banned
I'm never buying digital on wii u. too many consoles have died on me to games linked to one system only.

hachi

Banned
This has been pretty well understood for quite some time. The 3DS works the same way. It's a little weird and backwards, but I don't see a huge problem and am fully on board with buying digital on these platforms.

Here's the rundown:

What if I upgrade to a new revision of a Nintendo system? - there will be a system transfer utility. Before selling your old console, hook them both up and transfer everything (even save games, settings, etc) to the new one. That's how the XL worked at launch and surely how any future revision of Wii U will operate.

What if my console breaks? - you'll have to go through Nintendo for repair. When repairing your system, they will typically be able to transfer everything for you in the event that they end up replacing rather than fixing.

What about buying a used system? - bonus games, maybe?

But is that bad for the seller? - I don't see how. Those games are legally on the system and are part of the sale if you decide to leave them there. That means you can clearly advertise on your eBay listing that your Wii U comes with digital copies of Batman and NSMBU, and price it accordingly.

But what if my console is stolen? - Well... you can't be helped there. It will essentially be the same as the thief grabbing all your retail games from your shelf at the same time.

In the era of cloud storage, this is just asinine if true. No wonder "no Nintendo Reps were available for comment" in the journalistic pieces.

Dunan

People are laughing at Nintendo, but from a consumer-rights perspective this is exactly how things should be. The original owner no longer has the right or ability to play the games he purchased, so the new owner should get those rights. The games were paid for -- they shouldn't just vanish into the ether.

DSN2K

be interesting to see if they fix it, mind i question if it requires fixing at all? its possible nintendo know this and the system is working as designed. Games purchased and downloaded on said console can be re downloaded regardless of account, odd but it is Nintendo!

farnham

Banned
People are laughing at Nintendo, but from a consumer-rights perspective this is exactly how things should be. The original owner no longer has the right or ability to play the games he purchased, so the new owner should get those rights. The games were paid for -- they shouldn't just vanish into the ether.

Well people want it to be transferable to their accounts. But i agree. Its better than vanishing

softie

This has been pretty well understood for quite some time. The 3DS works the same way. It's a little weird and backwards, but I don't see a huge problem and am fully on board with buying digital on these platforms.

Here's the rundown:

What if I upgrade to a new revision of a Nintendo system? - there will be a system transfer utility. Before selling your old console, hook them both up and transfer everything (even save games, settings, etc) to the new one. That's how the XL worked at launch and surely how any future revision of Wii U will operate.

What if my console breaks? - you'll have to go through Nintendo for repair. When repairing your system, they will typically be able to transfer everything for you in the event that they end up replacing rather than fixing.

What about buying a used system? - bonus games, maybe?

But is that bad for the seller? - I don't see how. Those games are legally on the system and are part of the sale if you decide to leave them there. That means you can clearly advertise on your eBay listing that your Wii U comes with digital copies of Batman and NSMBU, and price it accordingly.

But what if my console is stolen? - Well... you can't be helped there. It will essentially be the same as the thief grabbing all your retail games from your shelf at the same time.

What if my console breaks after my warranty expires or my warranty isn't covering for the broken WiiU (like a - very unlikely - flooding or lightning strike, etc.)? What if I'd like to use my digital games on a friends console? What if I'd like to make a purchase from eShop, but can't physically access my WiiU, but another WiiU?

Any other account system I know covers those eventualities by providing means of accessing or transfering own's accounts. Why is it impossible for Nintendo hardware?

tim.mbp

be interesting to see if they fix it, mind i question if it requires fixing at all? its possible nintendo know this and the system is working as designed. Games purchased and downloaded on said console can be re downloaded regardless of account, odd but it is Nintendo!

I guess the previous owner didn't remove their eShop account. I don't have a Wii U, but on the 3DS there a system format in the system settings app and in the eShop app there's a delete account setting. If you want to remove access to the games, you need to delete your eShop account. Formatting won't delete your account.

It's not a "little backwards", it's incredibly backwards. Can anyone name another corporation that handles digital content this stupidly? The fact that they continue to handle everything related to the Internet so incompetently is mind-boggling. Especially when all the competition are showing them how to do it.

KooPaL

I am just worried about the ramifications about going all digital. I haven't had any experience with Nintendo purchases but I would have thought it would be similar to PS3 and Xbox. Deluxe sets suddenly lost its value due to the digital promotions that people are now not going to use for fear of nontransferrable purchased contents.

shira

Welp, it was fun while it lasted.

We need some sort of code to talk about these things (Like the Miiverse hack) without being scooped.

IGN just posted this story, very interesting how they keep taking GAF threads and creating stories out of them. Good thing they are giving credit.

We need another triology to keep these click hunters honest.

Bumhead

Banned
I was wondering how long it would take the major news sites to cotton onto this thread while I was sat having a crap earlier this afternoon.

Is this something that can even be patched? Or is it too deeply ingrained into the system architecture? Genuine question.

lupinko

I guess the previous owner didn't remove their eShop account. I don't have a Wii U, but on the 3DS there a system format in the system settings app and in the eShop app there's a delete account setting. If you want to remove access to the games, you need to delete your eShop account. Formatting won't delete your account.

I will make a note of this for my 3DS then before I sell it off.

It's kinda lame that the 3DS > 3DS XL system transfer doesn't do this for you.

smh Nintendo.

Prine

Banned
Nintendo's like the bumbling idiot at a banquet when it concerns online tech. Standing out, provoking embarrassing gasps among the guests.

-MB-

Clearly that's not how it works. I can't believe they didn't tie purchases to an account rather than hardware.

Bu that IS how it works. What the previous owner didn't do was actually delete his account first.
It's the way to delete the title rights from the system properly, just formatting the wiiu doesn't do this.

Dave Long

Banned
What if my console breaks after my warranty expires or my warranty isn't covering for the broken WiiU (like a - very unlikely - flooding or lightning strike, etc.)? What if I'd like to use my digital games on a friends console? What if I'd like to make a purchase from eShop, but can't physically access my WiiU, but another WiiU?

Any other account system I know covers those eventualities by providing means of accessing or transfering own's accounts. Why is it impossible for Nintendo hardware?

Everything you're talking about here revolves around the idea that those games you bought digitally are yours to do with as you please. They're not. If you want to play your games on a friend's console, buy the disc. If you want to purchase from the eShop, wait til you are at home on your WiiU.

The other account systems you speak of (and specifically Sony's) allow for things like "account sharing" which is basically just another phrase that denotes piracy or at the very least a very grey area IMO.

The 3DS works the same as the WiiU. The Wii worked the same way. It's amazing to me how many people are blindsided by something like this when it's always been this way on recent Nintendo hardware? I guess it's because the games cost more now? Is that the problem?

Bu that IS how it works. What the previous owner didn't do was actually delete his account first.
It's the way to delete the title rights from the system properly, just formatting the wiiu doesn't do this.

It's tied to the hardware. Nintendo themselves admit as much. If it were tied to user account, I could log into any Wii U and simply redownload all of my stuff. I can't. Nintendo.

The 3DS works the same as the WiiU. The Wii worked the same way. It's amazing to me how many people are blindsided by something like this when it's always been this way on recent Nintendo hardware? I guess it's because the games cost more now? Is that the problem?

No, the problem is that with a mechanism as idiotic as this, if my 3DS dies, gets stolen, gets lost etc, all the games I bought are gone. On Vita I merely buy another and all my stuff is there. On 360 the same. On PS3 the same. On Android the same. On any Apple device the same. See a pattern?

Dave Long

Banned
It's tied to the hardware. Nintendo themselves admit as much. If it were tied to user account, I could log into any Wii U and simply redownload all of my stuff. I can't. Nintendo.
But why should this be possible in the first place? That's what I don't understand... do all of you have your user accounts and games set up at multiple people's homes for 360? PS3?

Noi

But why should this be possible in the first place? That's what I don't understand... do all of you have your user accounts and games set up at multiple people's homes for 360? PS3?

...Yes? I know multiple people who own more than one PS3 across two separate locations (their house and a relatives') who have no problem playing their digital purchases on both no matter which house they're at at the time. In other occasions, siblings/couples with different consoles will have them synced to both to share their games. It's not as uncommon as you think.

tim.mbp

I will make a note of this for my 3DS then before I sell it off.

It's kinda lame that the 3DS > 3DS XL system transfer doesn't do this for you.

smh Nintendo.

You shouldn't need to with a system transfer because you can't use your games on both systems. It must transfer the old eShop account to the new system during the process.

Jomjom

Banned
Honestly though, if you are selling a Wii U already, what the heck are you doing?? It's barely been out a month!

softie

Everything you're talking about here revolves around the idea that those games you bought digitally are yours to do with as you please. They're not. If you want to play your games on a friend's console, buy the disc. If you want to purchase from the eShop, wait til you are at home on your WiiU.

The other account systems you speak of (and specifically Sony's) allow for things like "account sharing" which is basically just another phrase that denotes piracy or at the very least a very grey area IMO.

Buying a disc also doesn't let me do anything as I please. It's always a license I'm paying for using the games, I don't really own them, regardless of buying them through an online portal or deployed on a disc.
The main difference is, that other account system let me transfer my game licences to other hardware easily, whereas Nintendo shows me their middle finger.

And "account sharing" is neither piracy nor a "grey area", it's a form of customer convenience to let them have multiple hardware with the same account and content on it. You know, many households have multiple TVs or gaming systems and it's nice that they can share content between them. Of course there are some people who can exploit that kind of system and share content with any other people not at home, but that's a risk you have to take when it comes to those kind of things.

But Nintendo shits on customers with their current system. Why should I beg Nintendo to transfer for me my rightfully purchased game licences to another system, when it's a common practice to be able to do that by myself? Like on any other system.

Just because it was shitty like this on all Nintendo hardware, it shouldn't be shitty right now; in a time where it's pretty much common knowledge, that you can transfer your licences to other hardware without a hassle.

Mihos

Gold Member

As a matter of fact, yes. We have 2 PS3 and 2 XBOX in just our house alone. One set in the basement with the bar and the other set upstairs in the bedroom in front of the recliner.

We never buy anything digitally form Nintendo, specifically because of the online stuff. My head is completely fricken broken that any one could defend the way their marketplace or online systems works when compared to every other marketplace or somehow cast the blame back on the user. Hell, the Wii, WiiU, and 3DS can't even share a wallet or friends list. Even the Vita/PSP could handle that... hell, my green and black palm pilot could handle that. It would be one thing if this was some new thing they were trying out, but come on.

DJ_Lae

I did the same thing with my Wii - bought one that had a bunch of games on it (DKC games, Super Metroid, LttP, etc). Though the seller was advertising it as such, I still paid the going rate for a used Wii and got about $50 in freebie games thanks to Nintendo's archaic system of tying purchases to the hardware.

I suppose it's more sad/amusing that the same is still true for the WiiU, so many years later.

So many people hating on Nintendo, but at least they give you a means to sell the digital content. I would imagine anyone selling Wii U hardware would have little/no interest in keeping their games unless it's to upgrade to a new revision, and, as has been mentioned multiple times, there most certainly will be a way to transfer your digital rights in that event.

I know I wouldn't pay a LOT more for used hardware with digital content on it, but if it had some killer titles, you can bet it's worth more to me than one that's blank.

If nothing else, this just goes to show how much we give up when we purchase digitally as opposed to physical media.

Two 360s in my own house, and when I travel to visit my nephew and nieces I bring my gamertag on a thumbdrive, which allows me to download my games and play them there too.

Hell, the Wii, WiiU, and 3DS can't even share a wallet or friends list.

Yep, why is a user's wallet on Wii U separate from their wallet on 3DS? Which other company does things this stupidly? You have to think that Nintendo was planning both the 3DS and the Wii U at the same time. Why in the hell would you do it this way other than being inept?

Top Bottom