• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Oath in Felghana added to the Steam registry

ctrayne

Yes, Ys 7 is a departure, but it's still fast. And I've listed my grievances with Ys 7 in the past, as well. I don't hate Ys 5, I just think it is by far the lesser entry in the series. Ambition doesn't matter to me if a game isn't very fun to play.

Fair enough, and I knew you would say that. :) I appreciate different things than you in the game and that's OK.

Does the Japanese PC version of OiF have proper widescreen support?

I don't think so.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I asked if there was any chance Falcom would patch in proper widescreen support while doing their thing with the English dialogue. I'm not sure the fan patches will work with on Steam since patches/mods seem pretty hit or miss on there.

No answer yet since nothing has even been officially announced, but hopefully there will be a comment (expecting a "no") once XSEED makes the announcement.

Giran

Well that's a bummer. Will still probably double dip though.

Also, I sure hope the other entry is FC. Seems likely since the entry numerics aren't very close to each other, which I assume would be the case if it was another Ys game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I meant Falcom, since they're the ones doing all the work for this release anyway. With the translation already done all XSEED probably did was act as the middleman and communicate with Valve.

krYlon

The games look fine in their original aspect ratio anyway. It's not a big deal.

Widescreen is overrated, but I guess some Steam users may kick up a fuss about it or play it stretched.

Aeana

The games look fine in their original aspect ratio anyway. It's not a big deal.

Widescreen is overrated, but I guess some Steam users may kick up a fuss about it or play it stretched.

Being able to play a game in full screen at your monitor's native resolution is not overrated.

krYlon

Being able to play a game in full screen at your monitor's native resolution is not overrated.

It's preferable of course, but it's not a big deal. Especially not for Ys where gameplay is King.
In my opinion.

Yes everyone loves a stretched picture.

Everyone hates a stretched picture, that's why you play in 4:3. Two black bars really don't bother me. I guess they may bother others.

Pyrrhus

I just thought of an important question. Will this version of the game have the option to use the Japanese voice overs? Because their English dub in the PSP version was mega ass.

Aeana

I just thought of an important question. Will this version of the game have the option to use the Japanese voice overs? Because their English dub in the PSP version was mega ass.

The PC version doesn't have voice
That was a PSP enhancement.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure there is no Japanese voice acting? So they'll probably add the English into the PC version or not have any VA (I'd guess no VA).

krYlon

I didn't think the dub was that bad, but definitely I wish they went with European accents rather than American considering the game is set in a pseudo Europe (more specifically Switzerland?)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't think the dub was that bad, but definitely I wish they went with European accents rather than American considering the game is set in a pseudo Europe (more specifically Switzerland?)

I'm still completely confused about Felghana. It seemed like it should have been inland, and yet it has a coast. Maybe that's just a huuuuge lake? :lol

krYlon

I'm still completely confused about Felghana. It seemed like it should have been inland, and yet it has a coast. Maybe that's just a huuuuge lake? :lol

Yeah, in my mind I just pretend it's Lake Geneva, just a lot bigger :)

I guess it's not a proper Ys game without a shore, no matter where it is set

duckroll

I'm pretty sure there is no Japanese voice acting? So they'll probably add the English into the PC version or not have any VA (I'd guess no VA).

There's definitely a JP voice track:

cast01.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There's definitely a JP voice track:

cast01.jpg

Yeah, I didn't know they added one for the PSP version, I figured it was just XSEED's doing for the western release.

I don't expect them to add anything for the Steam version though, Japanese or English.

I always figured this was the "project four" thing the Carpe Fulgur twitter account was teasing.

I'll play Devil's Advocate here ("LOOOOOK. BUT DON'T TOUCH!") and say that I don't know if there's much to be excited about this. Unless Falcom has gone back and touched a few things up (like adding proper widescreen support), added in the PSP version's extra content or even something like Steam Achievements, there's not a whole lot of reason to want the PC version over the PSP version unless you don't have a PSP. Sure, it runs at a higher resolution and frame rate (?), but the game wasn't a tech showpiece to begin with (and yes, I realize I have personally criticized how the PSP version looks in comparison to the PC version).

And even looking beyond Felghana, Falcom's future is on the PSP and PSV. If you buy and enjoy Felghana on Steam, you're going to need to get a PSP for Ys Seven and a PSV for Ys Celceta. If they released every Kiseki PC game on Steam, there are a couple that are only on PSP. Granted, at the very least, it could give XSEED a chance to release the whole Trails in the Sky trilogy in once place (or at all, in this case), but we'll still never see Zero or Ao (going by the reports that the Chinese PC version of Zero being crummy).

Okay. So it's not a BAD thing. It's another option, that's always good. But it oddly feels like a step backwards. I've already come to accept the PSP/PSV as the place to go for Falcom Goodness™. I suppose if it works out, we can see official English releases of Xanadu Next and Dinosaur, since Falcom never bothered to PSP those. And Ys Origin. Ys Origin I suspect will show up on Vita. But, um, until then? Sure.

Or maybe I'm not that excited because I have (almost) every non-LoH Falcom game on PC already.

LegatoB

I'll play Devil's Advocate here ("LOOOOOK. BUT DON'T TOUCH!") and say that I don't know if there's much to be excited about this. Unless Falcom has gone back and touched a few things up (like adding proper widescreen support), added in the PSP version's extra content or even something like Steam Achievements, there's not a whole lot of reason to want the PC version over the PSP version unless you don't have a PSP. Sure, it runs at a higher resolution and frame rate (?), but the game wasn't a tech showpiece to begin with (and yes, I realize I have personally criticized how the PSP version looks in comparison to the PC version).
Higher res and 60fps? That's absolutely worth buying it again, what kind of PC gamer are you?

I always figured this was the "project four" thing the Carpe Fulgur twitter account was teasing.

And even looking beyond Felghana, Falcom's future is on the PSP and PSV. If you buy and enjoy Felghana on Steam, you're going to need to get a PSP for Ys Seven and a PSV for Ys Celceta. If they released every Kiseki PC game on Steam, there are a couple that are only on PSP. Granted, at the very least, it could give XSEED a chance to release the whole Trails in the Sky trilogy in once place (or at all, in this case), but we'll still never see Zero or Ao (going by the reports that the Chinese PC version of Zero being crummy).

Okay. So it's not a BAD thing. It's another option, that's always good. But it oddly feels like a step backwards. I've already come to accept the PSP/PSV as the place to go for Falcom Goodness™. I suppose if it works out, we can see official English releases of Xanadu Next and Dinosaur, since Falcom never bothered to PSP those. And Ys Origin. Ys Origin I suspect will show up on Vita. But, um, until then? Sure.

Or maybe I'm not that excited because I have (almost) every non-LoH Falcom game on PC already.

Look back at the history of Falcom, and you can see that it's not the first time they have gone console only, especially with Ys, where IV and V were PC Engine/Super Famicom and Super Famicom only, respectively. Sure, I don't expect PC to become a major market in Japan again, especially since so few people have or are interested in PCs here, but I could see them releasing some new PC games in the future again if Steam pans out for them.

DiscoJer

The kind that (generally) only buys games on PC when they aren't available elsewhere.

So basically not really a PC gamer? This really isn't aimed at you. But people who do play games primarily on the PC. They do exist, you know, and some of them even like Japanese games.

And considering how the Vita is doing in Japan, I think Falcom would well end up being back up on the PC in a couple years...

Look back at the history of Falcom, and you can see that it's not the first time they have gone console only, especially with Ys, where IV and V were PC Engine/Super Famicom and Super Famicom only, respectively. Sure, I don't expect PC to become a major market in Japan again, especially since so few people have or are interested in PCs here, but I could see them releasing some new PC games in the future again if Steam pans out for them.
Well, there's apparently a Chinese PC version of Ys Seven on the way (again, caution is advised given what I've heard on Zero no Kiseki) and of course, omgfloofy insists that the Ys VII for PC (which was going to be a different game from Ys Seven) could still be something.

Totally forgot about that. I remember the investor report.
But it's been so long since it was mentioned and Falcom found a nice home on the PSP, so I've just assumed it was nothing more than a "backup plan," in case the PSP thing had not worked out. The only odd part was the different titling and that it would have been a different game.

Well, there's apparently a Chinese PC version of Ys Seven on the way (again, caution is advised given what I've heard on Zero no Kiseki) and of course, omgfloofy insists that the Ys VII for PC (which was going to be a different game from Ys Seven) could still be something.

The optimistic picture would be that if Falcom finds success on PC in the West (and, frankly, I think they could be quite a bit more successful there than they've ever been elsewhere in Western territories) they might move towards a more multiplatform strategy again to continue taking advantage of that, since they've got history on the PC anyway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'll play Devil's Advocate here... Or maybe I'm not that excited because I have (almost) every non-LoH Falcom game on PC already.

So I'm not a Falcom fan (I'm not a not-Falcom fan, Ys 1+2 TG-16 is probably the only Falcom game I've ever played and it was pretty neat I guess!) but to me, I don't see so much hype for the specific releases as much as a general sense that it's a Good Thing! that a prominent Japanese dev/pub, especially with a mixed record of getting their stuff localized, to have a permanent lifeline to the West. Many of the people hyped seem to not even know anything about Falcom or if their games are any good.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The optimistic picture would be that if Falcom finds success on PC in the West (and, frankly, I think they could be quite a bit more successful there than they've ever been elsewhere in Western territories) they might move towards a more multiplatform strategy again to continue taking advantage of that, since they've got history on the PC anyway.

Assuming they stick with their plan to move to PhyreEngine, that seems pretty realistic.

I meant Falcom, since they're the ones doing all the work for this release anyway. With the translation already done all XSEED probably did was act as the middleman and communicate with Valve.
Are you sure Falcom's the one doing this? That's not the way they generally work, usually they license their games to external companies and those companies do all the work. XSeed wasn't just a translation house for the Ys games, they did all the work including dealing with Sony, marketing, programming, distributing, etc.

Aeana

Are you sure Falcom's the one doing this? That's not the way they generally work, usually they license their games to external companies and those companies do all the work. XSeed wasn't just a translation house for the Ys games, they did all the work including dealing with Sony, marketing, programming, etc.

Huh? Falcom did the localization programming for XSEED's translations. And people at XSEED have said that Falcom is the holdup for lots of things they want to do.

Top Bottom