• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

reKon

Banned
I keep having to remind myself not to get a new phone until the next generation LTE bands are built-in, which won't happen until next year. Having even greater coverage and penetration is awesome and a true game changer. I jumped from my perfectly fine flagship phone ONLY because it didn't have 12 band LTE. That was the most significant upgrade I've ever made for a phone.

Therefore, Pixel 2, Note 8, $400 Galaxy S8, $350 LG G6... Nahhhh.

Going to try to be strong here and wait it out.

Jeffrey

Don't really see the need of quicker LTE for my use. Maybe when unlimited data is actually unlimited and I'm watching 4k Netflix on the bus of my Sony bezel premium.

Otherwise I'm fine with my current speeds.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Don't really see the need of quicker LTE for my use. Maybe when unlimited data is actually unlimited and I'm watching 4k Netflix on the bus of my Sony bezel premium.

Otherwise I'm fine with my current speeds.

I agree. The difference real world difference between 50 down and 500 down is sorta shrugs for me on mobile.

Jeffrey

Like my rss reader and gaf mobile was fine when I was on 2g in Japan lol

You don't need ultra fast mobile speeds besides video which kills your data cap.

I don't mind more coverage though. Still plenty of deadzones in rural and mountain areas.

At&t has the best coverage and I still was service less for hours on the highways when I was in Utah.

I keep having to remind myself not to get a new phone until the next generation LTE bands are built-in, which won't happen until next year. Having even greater coverage and penetration is awesome and a true game changer. I jumped from my perfectly fine flagship phone ONLY because it didn't have 12 band LTE. That was the most significant upgrade I've ever made for a phone.

Therefore, Pixel 2, Note 8, $400 Galaxy S8, $350 LG G6... Nahhhh.

Going to try to be strong here and wait it out.

Some phones will be out with the new bands by end of year on TMobile. Atleast one Samsung phone(probably the Note) and maybe LG V30? Since LG is making Pixel XL 2 it could as well. V20 already has band 66 that T-Mobile hasn't launched yet afaik.

Saiyan-Rox

Looks like they're keeping the color of media apps in the notifications. Yay

I actually forgot about that feature since I moved to the OP5

Glad it's being kept too. I'm not too bothered with O coming late for me now it didn't really have much I'm bothered waiting for but I'm glad they finally made the data toggle one press.

ty_hot

In moments like this I feel good that my gf was stolen (6P). It would be much more sad if it would just bootloop or die at 50% charge ou of nowhere lol

:( Such an amazing phone

reKon

Banned
My 6P will sometimes turn itself off at about 30% battery. Only way to get it to turn back on is to plug it in. It's random but when it happens I'm totally hosed until I can plug it in. Not cool. Is there a fix for THAT?

I swear that everyone with an Nexus 6P in this thread, owned for longer than a year and a half, has complained about this exact issue, lol.

Dobsie

I'm going to make the most of the 2 year warranty here in the UK, I've got about 18 months left so hoping my 6p craps out towards the end of that and Google have no 6p's left to replace it with. Wishfully thinking they'll replace it with a pixel 2 when the time comes.

IronRaven

So my battery is bad? interesting... it's not replaceable so what are folks doing having some janky unauthorized repair dude open up the device?

I mean, you can do it yourself with the right tools and replacement parts. There are videos online on how to do it.

So my battery is bad? interesting... it's not replaceable so what are folks doing having some janky unauthorized repair dude open up the device?
I got a "OEM battery" to replace mine. The only downside is because there's a 50 50 chance you'll get a real OEM battery or a OEM battery but it wasn't made for the 6p but it's essentially the same (there's a certain version you need it if) it just charges slow even with rapid charging. It charges about 30% slower

Saiyan-Rox

I always seem to get reminded like I never knew how bad the OP community really is. I'm sure about 80% off then are complete and utter entitled morons :/

Man, I really hope NOTE 8 THE OCHO is going to be the one. My Note 4 is getting really long in the tooth, you never think about how shitty the Qualcomm's of that era were in terms of overheating and throttling after playing a game for 15 seconds until you try a phone which doesn't. I moved over to a spare Galaxy S6 to play Fate/Grand Order and it's amazing how Exynos 7420 Octa circa 2015 doesn't overheat, slow down, or even feel that hot in my hand after hours of play. Exynos is the best, Qualcomm can go and get fucked.

The irony here is the phone I'm using as a burner for a game is actually on Nougat but my daily driver is still stuck on Marshmallow forever. Sigh.

I'm guessing international Note 8 will also be using Exynos 8895 Octa like it's brother the S8. That's the ARM Mali-G71 MP20 going up against the Adreno 540 in the Snapdragon 835 when comparing international and North America S8. I wonder if Adreno 540 takes longer than 25 seconds to overheat and throttle back or if Qualcomm even gives a shit about that.

edit: Here we can see S8 with Exynos beating S8 with Snapdragon
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gal...ragon_835_benchmark_comparison-news-24606.php

Adreno is getting shittier all the time, now ARM Mali can beat it pretty soundly and probably does it without overheating.

DagsJT

The persistent notification on Android O is really annoying. I use LastPass so there's always an icon in the status bar now advising something is running in the background.

Duffk1ng

Can anyone explain "Enhanced 4G LTE mode" to me?

I recently put lineageOS on my phone and found I couldn't make (but could receive) calls and finally found this setting, turned it off and it works again. What's it supposed to do any why was it causing issues?

NeOak

Can anyone explain "Enhanced 4G LTE mode" to me?

I recently put lineageOS on my phone and found I couldn't make (but could receive) calls and finally found this setting, turned it off and it works again. What's it supposed to do any why was it causing issues?
That's VoLTE

The persistent notification on Android O is really annoying. I use LastPass so there's always an icon in the status bar now advising something is running in the background.
I already get that on my OP3T with Android 7.1.1. I always have the WhatsApp Web is active notification

Jeffrey

Lol moto z2 force is $720 but $810 on at&t?

Less battery no headphone jack, shatterproof but easy to scratch screen.

Also international version has more ram...

What are you doing lenovo.

Al-ibn Kermit

Lol moto z2 force is $720 but $810 on at&t?

Less battery no headphone jack, shatterproof but easy to scratch screen.

Also international version has more ram...

What are you doing lenovo.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I was hoping they would announce a regular Z2 as well since I'm just gonna get insurance on it anyways.

For under $600,that's no other phone I would want. But then I don't care much about super long battery life.

The Moto X4 should be announced at the July 28 event so we'll see how that looks.

Top Bottom