• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: "The Evil Within 2: The Complete PC And Xbox One Analysis"

rtcn63

Man if you want broken, like almost every Dead Rising and Ubisoft game on PC suffers from memory leak issues.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
That is, to get the game running at a perfect 60fps without a single drop though. It doesn't mean the game is as demanding as requiring a Titan XP.

I know we don't need a Titan XP. Point is, the game looks like could easily run at 120+fps, especially at 720p.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
shit developers make themselves look terrible, they learn nothing from the first game and release another turd port and expect ppl to pay full price, whats more to say. I don't see how or any reason why anyone would back them, guess thats how shitty developers manage to stick around cause people keep paying them for broken pc ports.
This is a fantastic game, what are you talking about?

i7 6700k
16GB DDR4 2400mhz
GTX 1080 Asus Strix
Windows 10 x64

TEW2 stutters like crazy from time to time for no apparent reason, despite running at locked 60 FPS 16.6ms at 1440p. The only way to remove the stutter completely is using the half refresh rate option, which limits the framerate at 30 on 60hz monitors. The game feels smoother/more consistent at 4K 30FPS if you don't play it with mouse and keyboard.

Let's hope a patch is on the way. But considering the first game still suffers from the same issue, I'm not expecting much...

Arklite

I had heard the PC version of this was a hot mess, but woof.

C'mon, aside from frame stutter the port is sound. A "hot mess" is something Iike id Software's Rage with janked up megatextures. I guess id Tech 5 engine doesn't have the best track record.

Gitaroo

The tech team struggled, it sucks, but tech problems don't mean the game is bad or that the developers were lazy.

I loving the game, but hate this kind of practice, I have never commented anything bad on the gameplay at all. Just like Nier Automata, love the game but people asked me if they should get the PC version on sales I told them the same thing, shit publishers don't deserve a single penny if they have to rely on fans to fix their garbage.

bbd23

my 970 gets anywhere from 38fps to 60. im at chapter 7 right now and its mainly in the low 40's when outside. at ultra settings. the actual game is great

I don't follow that. I ran the game with the following specs and locked the frame rate to 60 with RTSS and I barely had any frame drops.

Xeon E3 1231 V3
GTX 1080p
Ultra Settings - Edit, originally said high and just checked, it's on ultra.
TAA and FXAA (I kept switching them around).

I have the footage to prove it as I streamed/record most of the game.

That said, why would I want to run the game at 720p@60fps? The point of playing it on the PC is so I don't have to run it at the levels a console would.

Has anyone here managed to fix this, by the way? I've kept up with the PC thread and spent a lot of time this weekend trying to overcome the bad frame-times. It basically does run at 60fps but it doesn't FEEL like it due to those stutters which you can see on the frame-time graph from Afterburner.

It needs a proper exclusive fullscreen mode, for one thing.

I don't have any solutions but I can say that I do not get micro-stutter in this game while I did get it very badly with Dishonored 2 until one of the recent patches. I also get micro-stutter in the first Evil Within unless I use the trick to run a frame counter at all times which, for some bizarre reason, is a known solution in that game.

I am getting 60 fps micro-stutter free 98% of the time with TEW 2. The other 2% aren't micro-stutter but actual framerate drops (58 fps is the lowest I have seen outside of cutscenes).

This is on a GTX 1070/ i7 6700k playing at 1080p on Ultra.

Vash63

Was this done with the 387 series Nvidia drivers? I had stutters across multiple games with the 383/384 series.

Grief.exe

I loving the game, but hate this kind of practice, I have never commented anything bad on the gameplay at all. Just like Nier Automata, love the game but people asked me if they should get the PC version on sales I told them the same thing, shit publishers don't deserve a single penny if they have to rely on fans to fix their garbage.

At least with Nier the game is mostly fine, but has some niggling issues.

These problems seem more impactful in some cases. Inefficiencies are generally considered too difficult to fix as well since they are so buried in the rendering pipeline that they become indistinguishable without the source code. Rendering issues in Nier are usually easier to identify and fix.

I have an i7 7700 + 1080 and I run it on 1440p on Ultra.
runs 55-62 fps. 95% of the time it is at 60+.

I ran it at 1080p initially on Ultra and got similar results. There were definitely dips to mid 50s so I said screw it and dropped the resolution and switched to m/kb controls. The game is barely utilizing the hardware. We probably won't get a patch for at least a couple of weeks, if not ever.

I ran it at 1080p initially on Ultra and got similar results. There were definitely dips to mid 50s so I said screw it and dropped the resolution and switched to m/kb controls. The game is barely utilizing the hardware. We probably won't get a patch for at least a couple of weeks, if not ever.

Pretty sure we will. They're already working on the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X. Hopefully there is something to address those PC performance issues.

Buggy Loop

Fucking shame for the PC version. In fact, outside of Doom, all recent bethesda games have subpar performances on PC.

I will not even touch this game until it’s fixed.

Fucking shame for the PC version. In fact, outside of Doom, all recent bethesda games have subpar performances on PC.

What's wrong with Prey? I came to it 2-3 weeks late but I didn't have any notable issues.

I've heard good things about Death of the Outsider regarding its port but I haven't played that one yet.

This game sounds like a disaster on all platforms. Can't say I'm bothered by the bomba tbh, devs need to step their shit up in such a competitive landscape.

Vash63

What's wrong with Prey? I came to it 2-3 weeks late but I didn't have any notable issues.

I've heard good things about Death of the Outsider regarding its port but I haven't played that one yet.

The audio was fucking terrible if that counts. No positional tracking, random volume levels that seemed unrelated to distance, no real environmental effects.

I usually play on headphones but had to put it on speakers just to distance myself from the terrible audio.

I will not even touch this game until it’s fixed.

I think the PC performance is being blown way out of proportion. As I stated, I haven't experienced even a 1/3rd of the issues.

Keinning

Wait, what?

What are you on about? The game is great on PS4 and should be excellent on Xbox One X and hopefully Pro.

It's just the PC version which has issues. It's a fantastic game.

Who cares about the people with xbox ones and one S who cant upgrade straight away right

This game sounds like a disaster on all platforms. Can't say I'm bothered by the bomba tbh, devs need to step their shit up in such a competitive landscape.

But the PS4 version performs incredibly well?

I thought about just getting it on PS4 and not worry about a shitty PC port but the FOV seems so narrow on consoles.

Unless you have an older PC you will get better than PS4 visuals by locking the PC port to 30 fps and you can adjust the FOV.

The game badly needs a patch on PC.
Have Bethesda said anything?

Bethesda aren't much on community outreach. With DH2 it was pretty much Harvey Smith handling that stuff while Pete Hines maintained that everything was fine and people should just update drivers or whatever.

Since this is a Japanese developed game there isn't much hope for comms from the devs outside of John Johanas

I'm not really good at perceiving minor graphical issues but I can generally tell 60 to 30fps, but probably not 60 to 50. I am playing on a 970 1080p and it seems to me to be at 60fps. Sure there are weird hiccups every once in a while but nothing jarring.

So this whole thing seems weird to me.

Mister Wolf

I can't get a locked 60 with my gtx 1080 on high but I enjoy the game so much I'm not gonna cry about it or wait for a patch. I love the evil within series especially since dead space franchise died.

rtcn63

I think the PC performance is being blown way out of proportion. As I stated, I haven't experienced even a 1/3rd of the issues.

But a lot of people are. People who have an idea of what performance they should be getting in TEW2 with their respective hardware. Even user Paragon who seems to test CPU's for the thrill of it agrees that there's something iffy going on.

coastel

Oh fuck at that xbox1 performance. Well every platform is shit. I really want to play this, it looks like I will have to wait a month or 2 then see if pro or pc is best to get.

Keinning

?. Base PS4 version is very competent. 1080p, looks great and has only some very minor framerate drops.

base PS4 is the only decent version, out of three.
it's more of a stretch to say things are fine everywhere than to say things are doomed everywhere.

Gbraga

What? My framerate never dropped below 60fps in 1440p with ultra details. Whenever I looked at the counter it was around 75fps and I didn't even install the new drivers.

Wouldn't be the first game to have better performance with older drivers. Anyone else tested it before updating?

So, I'm still going to wait for now, but looks like Xbox One X is the version for me to get then. Hopefully it'll be HDR on Xbox One X... my current PC can't do HDR.

MaLDo

Has anyone here managed to fix this, by the way? I've kept up with the PC thread and spent a lot of time this weekend trying to overcome the bad frame-times. It basically does run at 60fps but it doesn't FEEL like it due to those stutters which you can see on the frame-time graph from Afterburner.

It needs a proper exclusive fullscreen mode, for one thing.

50 hz/ 50 fps locked perfect frametimes without stutters even opening doors or moving between zones at 2304x1296 resolution.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=252160745

It's mostly fine at 30fps but I still get those spikes. As I said, even just sitting at the pause menu, you can see them appear on the frame-time graph.

CPU and GPU usage are all very low, no background processes interfering and game is running from an SSD. It's baffling as I'd rather play it on the PC.

Tried it and it didn't solve it for me. :(

I heard the input lag with the in game 30 FPS lock is pretty bad. Is it that true? I also would like to note that with my Core i7 7700HQ and GTX 1060 6GB I don't notice any stutter and it usually hangs around the 50 FPS range on high settings and 1080p. So the skips I noticed in the video are 100% absent on my system. I am loading the game from an nvme SSD though.

Wouldn't be the first game to have better performance with older drivers. Anyone else tested it before updating?

Someone in the PC thread tried it with old drivers but still got micro-stutter. I have no idea what causes the stutter on some systems and not on others when the hardware is so similar.
My PS4 Pro only runs the game at 1080p/30. That's pretty bad for a PS4 Pro.

That's fine but given the that vanilla PS4s vastly outnumber Pros its disingenuous to imply that the game is a disaster on all platforms.

Especially when there are examples of games actually made worse than base on the Pro like FFXV which was stuck with awful frame pacing for several months.

Constantly fluctuating between 30-50 FPS on PC or a stable 30 on console, I'd take the console

Of course, it's too late for me, as you can't refund CD keys purchases

But you can lock the PC version to 30 fps so its still at parity with PS4 and is better if you consider FOV adjustments and/or other visual upgrades.

rtcn63

Constantly fluctuating between 30-50 FPS on PC or a stable 30 on console, I'd take the console

Of course, it's too late for me, as you can't refund CD keys purchases

The in-game lock doesn't work? Make sure to set it at 30, and not half your display's refresh rate.

The in-game lock doesn't work? Make sure to set it at 30, and not half your display's refresh rate.

Yeah not sure why but the display rate limiters seem to be broken. If I set to display limit I get micro-stutter but if I set to 60 then it's sutter free.

Top Bottom