• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community Mapper puts huge Portal 2 easter egg inside Left 4 Dead 2

newsguy

The annoying girls sound like they're marketing the damn thing. "OH MY GOD!!! ITS THE FRIGGIN.... EXCURSION FUNNEL."

Psykotik said:
is this what girls sound like when playing games together?

Geeking out is a high-pitched phenomenon

naturally, girls do it to an extreme we can not comprehend

(i didn't mind it, it seemed exciting)

JesseZao

MrPing1000 said:
Portal/Half-life universe is not the same one as L4D.

Therefore this map is a sin against god and must be destroyed.

Think of it as a hallucination then ;). They kinda float towards the light when they "wake up."

MrPing1000 said:
Portal/Half-life universe is not the same one as L4D.

Therefore this map is a sin against god and must be destroyed.

Better idea: the room should have been a falling spike ceiling. You need to shoot a switch to break out. After that a door opens and:

2-barry3.PNG

"YOU WERE ALMOST A BILL SANDWICH"

Ninman

the uploader make the map, from her blog:

So, for the few of you who know that I'm working on making a Left 4 Dead map...I decided to first make a Portal 2 custom map so I can practice and get the hang of it before I move on to more challenging maps. I have the 'floor plan' already worked out, and Todd is helping me use Hammer (the authoring tool program). I just hope I'm not too retarded to understand it, and get him frustrated. ;~;

Ryuuga

Banned
This section of the map is broken as fuck for me. The companion cube in the second chamber doesn't even get launched.

legend166

Talk about contrived.

They know that it's called an 'excursion funnel' but don't even know how it works and are completely surprised by it?

legend166 said:
Talk about contrived.

They know that it's called an 'excursion funnel' but don't even know how it works and are completely surprised by it?

They didn't know the author got it working in Left 4 Dead 2's engine, or how to properly launch off the ramp when the physics are a bit different.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
L4D custom maps community rocks. We needs some powerststation and questionablet ethics in here.

Or some Left 4 Mario and Silent Hill.

A complete recreation of Silent Hill 1.

Cipherr

jett said:
eh uhhh okay I guess they're reused, if you guys say so

Trust me they are. I was listening close as shit praying for some new dialog. A sentence, a word, anything to tell me more about Portal Lore.

It was all reused.

It's really not that bad, I don't know why people are griping so much about it.

I also don't care for the fact that everyone's so obsessed about calling this fake or viral, that it's distracting from the fact that for a community-implemented Easter Egg, that's pretty darned impressive and polished. Obviously it's recycling lots of content from Portal 2 proper, but it's still neat to see it implemented in L4D2, and the "sting" quiz was neat. There's even an extra voice clip for knocking Companion Cube off the stage. It's a nice fan-made easter egg in what I assume is otherwise a normal L4D2 campaign.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Are they enrolled in "How To Make a Viral Video 101" or something?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Does this Silent Hill campaign work with L4D2? If so, I'm downloading this baby with the strength of a thousand suns.

EDIT: If it doesn't work, I'll wait for L4D1 to go on sale and then I'll be downloading this baby with the strength of a thousand suns.

Izayoi

Banned
-Mikey- said:
Might sound lame but will the easter egg spoil anything for me if I haven't played Portal 2?
It uses sound clips from Portal 2, but that's all I figured out before I shut the video off lest my head explode from the stupidity that was being vomited from my speakers.

Game audio being so low meant I had to turn up the volume only to cause ear bleeding from the commenting voices.

They also didn't seem to recognise G man..
Cake and pills was a brilliant touch though.

Top Bottom