• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 | Review Thread

Valt7786

I have this red exclamation point/mark on the lower left of the screen all the time, what is this?

Also, we've done 6 story missions now, but aren't there unique weapons to find or make? So far I'm only able to put electricity on weapons and the usual standard improvements. No things like add fire to a weapon, or poison, or spikes/nails and so on?

Keep playing, do sidequests and lost n founds etc. There's loooads of customisation for weapons.

Stafford

Keep playing, do sidequests and lost n founds etc. There's loooads of customisation for weapons.

Yeah we're gonna do much more side missions next time we play, because already six story missions done surprised us.

Another thing, we found many objects that were locked and needed a key, for a example a security guard’s key, I imagined the key would be close by to a guard zombie, but nope. And also inside Halperin many objects that needed keys, did we just not search right or do we find these later?

Valt7786

Yeah we're gonna do much more side missions next time we play, because already six story missions done surprised us.

Another thing, we found many objects that were locked and needed a key, for a example a security guard’s key, I imagined the key would be close by to a guard zombie, but nope. And also inside Halperin many objects that needed keys, did we just not search right or do we find these later?

You'll find them later, they mostly seem to drop off of Named zombies that will be hanging around close to the box but some dont show up til later points.

TrebleShot

One of the things I'm really enjoying about the game, is the lack of bloat.
There is not forced grinding. No open world that is mostly empty. No useless game mechanics to pad game time.
It's so refreshing to play a game that is about playing a game and having fun, and not wasting the players time.
This really speaks to me, I may have to get it.

Gonzito

There is not forced grinding. No open world that is mostly empty. No useless game mechanics to pad game time.
It's so refreshing to play a game that is about playing a game and having fun, and not wasting the players time.

I totally agree. I wouldn't mind having more games like this one, with smaller maps but more focused

Last edited:

Kupfer

That's great to hear and a real plus by today's standards!
Bloat is the reason I don't buy and play certain games these days.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

I think the combat and exploration are the best parts of the game with some nice mini-puzzles made with using the different elements and using common sense on how to access for example a locked building.

I don't care about the characters or the story.

I wish there were more use for scrap and more ways customizing your weapons as I have a over abundance of crafting materials but no way to use them. As it is the customization is too safe for my liking. Maybe in the next game or in upcoming dlc they will do more inventive or crazy stuff with it.

As a poor student I'd buy this game for 20 - 30€ on Steam.

Valt7786

So I entered that mansion yesterday and the woman calls me "they", last time I checked Ryan was very much a man. Wtf is this nonsense with some games lately? Can we just not do this?

And she just keeps on saying it, along with her friend. Really guys?

This is just for the Co-op and so they didn't have to record them saying he/she everytime.
I hate the they/them bullshit too but this doesn't have any of that in it at all from what I've seen or can tell.

Deerock71

Depends, this one is not really open world, more like big zones, and it has no parkour, so if you liked those aspects of dl1, you could be let down by the game.

DL2 is gonna get a big combat overhaul on 20th of april and it's probably way cheaper than di2, maybe watch some footage of that one first if you want to bash zombies.

But dl2 was pretty underwhelming as a sequel, they can't fix the story but maybe the combat overhaul is gonna bring the combat at least on the level of dl1.

Di2 does not have cheap key for now, so you have to pay full price even on pc.
It's funny, but the parkour is what I really didn't like about Dying Light.

RyanEvans21

So is the game a finished product at launch? Are there any glitches that require a patch?

Also, any guesses about when it’ll be $49.99?
Not sure about others. There is 2 glitches when i played it. Zombies Spawn next to you & Lost my weapons when i died.

Probably in 3 or 4 months?

EDMIX

It's reviewing better than I expected TBH.

Same.

I'm loving it so far and love the setting and the funny characters, California is a character onto itself and its clever for them to make all the classic yuppie jokes. Can't wait for them to do a Dead Island 3, this is a respectable comeback from the development hell that this game was under, this was the right team for the job.

Sensates

I thought Dying Light 2 was pretty good, but after Dead Island 2 I really started to doubt my feelings. Techland should learn a lesson or two from dambuster games.
Seems more incredible now after reading about the development back story. Didn't know they were related.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Worst thing....its not on steam.

No Steam, and no keys..

I don't know how it is in other people's regions, but here in Norway the game is basically 90 USD for the cheapest version on Xbox (and almost 70USD on EGS) which is frankly beyond insane (and especially for a game that doesn't even have 90+ on Metacritic).

Stafford

You'll find them later, they mostly seem to drop off of Named zombies that will be hanging around close to the box but some dont show up til later points.

That's good to know. And I wonder if it's even truly worth it. I found several keys for safes in the hotel, but all they contained were parts. Does this go for every closed crate, safe, etc?

For example I found a locker called loundry room locker and it needed a key, in the hotel, never found the key. Also a fancy leather trunk needing a key. A bit odd that I'd have to go back inside the hotel just for these.... Hmmm.

Last edited:

GymWolf

So is the game a finished product at launch? Are there any glitches that require a patch?

Also, any guesses about when it’ll be $49.99?
The game is very polished, no noticeable bugs or glitches.

It's 60 now on pc, so maybe a couple of months to get a 10 dollars discount maybe.

GymWolf

Just finished it, amazing game. Amazing in a sense, that it was really enjoyable all the way through, hope this makes a bank, because more of this "simple yet fun" shit. Also felt really polished. I agree with GymWolf GymWolf about score, but generally 7/10 games are the most enjoyable ones for me.
Absolutely, some of my favourite games are 7\10.

Bartski

Gold Member
MsxT5Wk.jpg

itsathingdudeson

Neo Member
Game crashes randomly on PC with ultrawide resolution and AMD fsr (quality) on. Not a great experience when you want more frames.

Edit: Nvidia 2060 gpu in use

Last edited:

Osthyvel

I am maybe 8h in, i like the game, its really good, i also bought Dying Light 2 some days before DI2, its not fair to compare those games, they are very different, but i must say, i prefer combat in DL2 after the recent update, and over time, i think DL2 will be the superior game, for me.

But with that said, DI2 is a HELL-A ride so far!

winjer

Gold Member
Finished the game today. Did all side quests, but didn't go after all collectibles. Spent almost 30 hours on it. Most of it fun.
The Ak we get in a side-quest, after finishing the main quest is a beast. Too bad we get it so late.
I can't say it's a candidate for GOTY, but it's a AA well worth a playthrough.

Eiknarf

Banned
Finished the game today. Did all side quests, but didn't go after all collectibles. Spent almost 30 hours on it. Most of it fun.
The Ak we get in a side-quest, after finishing the main quest is a beast. Too bad we get it so late.
Can you use that AK in New Game Plus?

GymWolf

I would still consider this one AAA.

Kupfer

I just started playing the game yesterday and I was pretty tired from work, but in the 2 to 3 hours I got exactly what I expected - high gloss zombie slashing with over the top characters in a setting that has rarely if ever been seen. I'm enjoying it so far and thankfully it still feels like Dead Island and doesn't try to live up to any current trends, yes - squinting at you MTX infested games and you petty and boring ubisoft open world game.

Definitely looking forward to more hours and the stronger weapons hehe

Edit: FLESH is awesome and every game needs this level of attention to inflicting damage to soft materials

Last edited:
I have this red exclamation point/mark on the lower left of the screen all the time, what is this?

Also, we've done 6 story missions now, but aren't there unique weapons to find or make? So far I'm only able to put electricity on weapons and the usual standard improvements. No things like add fire to a weapon, or poison, or spikes/nails and so on?
I can put fire on a weapon. Played the Micheal mission, somewhere about there I got it. Apparently I'm about to get my first firearm as well.

I'm really enjoying with this game. Feels like a proper game and not being a completely open world helps a lot with that.

Denton

I am some 10 hours in. It is fun, it looks gorgeous, but not gonna lie, I do find both Dying Light games to be superior. The freerunning just adds so much, plus more engaging character development, more interesting quests (at least so far).

Top Bottom