• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

omgkitty

OK, $586.12 worth of stuff in this cart. Time to pare it down.

Nah son, just hit checkout.

giphy.gif

omgkitty

I've never seen any Almodovar. Should I pick up Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown and Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!, or should I try to watch them first? Honestly, it's mostly the Malika Favre art I want most.

Blader

Picked up Godzilla, Boyhood, and the Before Trilogy. I usually like to split my Criterion hauls between blind buys and stuff I've seen before, and this is all stuff I've seen. But I've been looking forward to the Before trilogy for years, had been waiting to pull the trigger on Boyhood for months, and am really interested in the Godzilla supplements.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I cant wait to show you guys the Vintage Edition of Evil Dead that is about to release in a couple of days here in germany. This movie is one of these infamous video nasties that were banned for 30 years and now its open for everyone and you can buy it when you are 16 years old :D

They are also bringing back the movie for a special screening to my local cinema and I am so excited to see this classic finally on the big screen.

I've never seen any Almodovar. Should I pick up Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown and Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!, or should I try to watch them first? Honestly, it's mostly the Malika Favre art I want most.

Nervous breakdown for sure. Tie me up watch first.

(And get hold of All about my mother and Talk to her)

dhlt25

got the before trilogy, a brighter summer day and lady snow blood set. I've never seen the before films before. Excited to finally watch them

Shouldn't have, but I got: women on the verge of a nervous breakdown, the before trilogy, and Roma. Wanted the exterminating angel but it was in back order.

I say this a lot, but I'm going to have to take a blu-ray buying vacation after this, especially with a few Arrow titles I've got on pre-order and for going crazy during the Target sale earlier this month. Hell, I've still got to pay for a Switch this week. Damn you crazy, expensive, awesome hobby!

Blood Simple
Solaris
Boyhood
Fanny and Alexander
Yojimbo & Sanjuro
Lady Snowblood
3 Colors
Moonrise Kingdom

Cheddahz

Banned
I decided to get Punch-Drunk Love, Being John Malkovich, and Frances Ha (wanted to get stuff off of my Amazon wishlist that's been there for quite some time now). For $60, I'm really happy with what I got

Mumei

My copy of the Before Trilogy showed up today and there's a flash sale? How exciting!

But I just paid $300 to re-up on my car insurance D: D: so I can only get a few....

cj_iwakura

I had no idea Chungking Express was out of print. :( Not sure what I want from this sale, maybe just Stranger Than Paradise. I'd so get Chungking if it was available.

SeanC

I had no idea Chungking Express was out of print. :( Not sure what I want from this sale, maybe just Stranger Than Paradise. I'd so get Chungking if it was available.

I obsessively go to my local used movies store once a week, they always get OOP Criterion (and Twilight Time) DVDs/Blus/Laserdiscs etc... and go straight to the "C" label in the Criterion section. Still no dice on a Chunking Express.

cj_iwakura

I wonder if Criterion is trying to get Ghost Dog. If they figured out the Before Trilogy, Ghost Dog can't be that difficult.

If it happens, I'll give away my Artisan copy, mark me.

berzeli

Banned
Eureka surprise announcement for may:
BO2VsLm.jpg

• New 4K restoration
  • Uncompressed PCM soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Optional English subtitles
  • A new interview with Asian cinema expert Tony Rayns
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring new and archival writing
They spoil me sometimes.

This is true. There's been some A24 related stuff on their site, and both of their offices are in NY. Hopefully, we'll get some titles from them at some point.

Yeah I'm hoping The Witch gets a stacked release personally. I'd love some extras that go deep into the historical research they did.

Watched Before Sunrise and the extras on disc 1. I thought it was very interesting in the conversation with Linklater, Hawke, and Delpy that they feel Before Midnight was an end to a cycle and any possible sequel would be the start of a new cycle.

I've always felt a fourth movie would not be called "Before ___" and that idea seems to confirm it. Now I wonder if they would do "After Sunrise" or something like that.

Fjordson

How frequently does the Criterion website have sales, out of curiosity? I'm just starting to get into this whole thing.
You're basically looking at four big 50% off sales a year I think.

Criterion's site usually has two, one early in the year (late February/early March) and then one in the fall (early October). Then Barnes & Noble will have two, one in the summer and one in November. And the B&N sales are online and in-store.

SeanC

Really disappointed in Amazon delaying my Before Trilogy shipping. I was hoping to have it this week so I could watch it this weekend, literally the only time for the next month I'll have to sit and watch six hours of movies.

Why bother preordering if you can't get my shit when said shit is supposed to be got?

Fjordson

Somehow I didn't know Scream Factory had put out a special edition of Manhunter (with a sweet cover), just ordered it from Amazon.

Underrated Mann film imo, can't wait to get it.

soothe.

• New 4K restoration
  • Theatrical Trailer
They spoil me sometimes.

whoa, awesome!

is anyone here that familiar with Hsiao-Hsien's work?
i've only seen Café Lumière and Flight of the Red Balloon by him and i love both of them but his work has not been the easiest to see or to buy here in europe, sadly.

Mumei

BO2VsLm.jpg

• New 4K restoration
  • Theatrical Trailer
They spoil me sometimes.

Would I need a region-free player for this?

berzeli

Banned
Would I need a region-free player for this?
Eureka makes their releases region free whenever possible, but no word on this particular title yet.

Though if it did end up region locked it's probably due to some distributor having picked up the US rights.

Mumei

Eureka makes their releases region free whenever possible, but no word on this particular title yet.

Though if it did end up region locked it's probably due to some distributor having picked up the US rights.

Well, I'll risk it. I just preordered it from Amazon. Interestingly, while it says £17.99 for the price on the product page, when I actually placed the order it said "Item(s) Subtotal: £14.99".

Though since I didn't order enough to get free shipping it evens out to £18.07 but still!

berzeli

Banned
Well, I'll risk it. I just preordered it from Amazon. Interestingly, while it says £17.99 for the price on the product page, when I actually placed the order it said "Item(s) Subtotal: £14.99".

Though since I didn't order enough to get free shipping it evens out to £18.07 but still!

Amazon (UK) removes VAT if you order from the US iirc but there is no free international shipping. If you, like me, order from Sweden they add VAT + shipping. I haven't ordered from Amazon in years because of that.
They probably will end up dropping the price to around 12.99£-14.99£ before dispatch so it will sting even less for you. It might even end up cheaper to pre-order directly from Eureka , however it's not added there yet.

The restoration looks stunning though, so it will be worth it.

Unless you get some kind of huge discount elsewhere you should try and order directly from Eureka. Free shipping, they have the nicest customer service ever (a.k.a. Kevin). Plus they get a bigger cut of your money that way if you want to support them.

Top Bottom