• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Kevin works at Arrow now (and not with customer service). :p

But they're still a great company to support.

Oh shit, I didn't know that. I had a string a bad luck with shipping a few years ago and he was always the one emailing me and sending me replacements (and a good number of freebies).

berzeli

Banned
Oh shit, I didn't know that. I had a string a bad luck with shipping a few years ago and he was always the one emailing me and sending me replacements (and a good number of freebies).
Yeah, he's great with that. I had one delivery smashed and then the replacement stolen, and he fixed it both times. He's Arrow's head of catalogue production and acquisitions nowadays, which I think counts as a promotion so good for him.

berzeli

Banned
Arrow is apparently doing a 4K restoration for their release of The Thing.
t4y8G6J.png

Did not see this one coming, thought it would be a port of the Shout release with a non-shit cover. Now we get a (presumably) superior transfer + a non-shit cover!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just saw screens of the 4K Version of Susperia. Yikes. Looks totally grey compared to the amazing 84 Entertainment Master of that movie. Guys, dont buy that shit.

IronRinn

Just saw screens of the 4K Version of Susperia. Yikes. Looks totally grey compared to the amazing 84 Entertainment Master of that movie. Guys, dont buy that shit.
How the hell is it even possible to make that movie look grey? That is really disappointing.

SeanC

Ya can't have pretty bright colors in a horror movie, guys! You gotta wash that shit out! That's what the kids love today!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Wtf. Is this the one that everyone's been waiting years for?

How the hell is it even possible to make that movie look grey? That is really disappointing.

http://www.schnittberichte.com/murof/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42768&start=15#p1606945

Its written in german but you should be able to scroll down to see the pictures... Its really a joke. On the left are the screens from the amazing 84 Restauration, on the right side the new 4K Version.

Its such a joke what they did to this movie.

berzeli

Banned
http://www.schnittberichte.com/murof/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42768&start=15#p1606945

Its written in german but you should be able to scroll down to see the pictures... Its really a joke. On the left are the screens from the amazing 84 Restauration, on the right side the new 4K Version.

Its such a joke what they did to this movie.

Um. Not sure I agree.

Here are four caps which are better matches. Yes there is some piss-filtering which has plagued many 4K restorations but the whites are still there and if you look at cap 4 the colours are just as vivid.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/201609/picture:0
The restoration is fine.

However worth noting is that this isn't the Synapse restoration. Which apparently is a separate effort.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Two of these screengrabs still look far inferior while one is definitly as good as the 84 Edition and one is even far better in the 4K Cut. I dont know, for Superia, the colors are much more important for me, together with the Soundtrack they create this special mood, so this really hurts the movie IMO.

Maybe I am making this bigger as it is, but when I saw this Master of the movie last year, I was so blown away like never before while seeing a movie at home and thats why its so important to me.

berzeli

Banned
Two of these screengrabs still look far inferior while one is definitly as good as the 84 Edition and one is even far better in the 4K Cut. I dont know, for Superia, the colors are much more important for me, together with the Soundtrack they create this special mood, so this really hurts the movie IMO.

Maybe I am making this bigger as it is, but when I saw this Master of the movie last year, I was so blown away like never before while seeing a movie at home and thats why its so important to me.

Cap #2 & #4 are pretty much objectively better in every conceivable way. #3 is on par and only #1 I think is worse. Yes the colours are different, but not objectively worse.
You're blowing things out of proportion, if you look at the bottom of that German post you get a link to more caps and the colours still seem pretty damn vivid and with a less wonky contrast than the German disc.

This reminds me a bit about how people complained about the 4K resto of Ran and how "washed out" & teal it was. That discussion got a bit upended when someone got to see a vintage 35mm print and confirmed that the colours were in fact accurate to the original print.

omgkitty

Just because something is brighter, and uses a different color signature, doesn't mean it's actually better or how it was supposed to be seen. The "inferior" screens you're seeing may be how the film actually looked when initially released.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just because something is brighter, and uses a different color signature, doesn't mean it's actually better or how it was supposed to be seen. The "inferior" screens you're seeing may be how the film actually looked when initially released.
The 84 remaster was actually made to match the colortone of the special kind of film roll Dario Argento used back then. He even acknowledges this in a clip recorded for the movie on the Blu-Ray IIRC.

omgkitty

The 84 remaster was actually made to match the colortone of the special kind of film roll Dario Argento used back then. He even acknowledges this in a clip recorded for the movie on the Blu-Ray IIRC.

I didn't know that. I wasn't saying for sure it was that way, just that some people are so quick to jump on something when they don't like it, when they may in fact be wrong. In some ways I do find the new restoration better, and if I was watching the film, I'd never notice anything wrong.

berzeli

Banned
Heh.
You know that terrible 4K remaster? That is worse than the 84 Entertainment one.
That one is also (in part) a 84 Entertainment project. And apparently the people responsible for their first effort were also responsible for the second one.

Just sayin'.

Note that this restoration was made under STRICT PRESERVATION GUIDELINES using the authorized Technicolor reference materials from 1977 to absolutely insure the accuracy and integrity of the ORIGINAL PRESENTATION. We did not make any changes in color or gradation "to fit modern standards" as this would have destryed the integrity of the film's (beautiful) photography.
Taken from the thread on an Italian forum

Eightyfour Entertainment have supported the restoration that we made on behalf of the world rights owner, Videa Spa, with VERY substantial funding - and it was first and foremost that funding together with our contributions here at our end that allowed this project to happen and to result in the quality that it did in the first place. René Krzok also backed our every request and move on locating and acquiring the vital materials necessary to achieve that quality status, some of them exclusively.

While we, here, at TLEFilms FRPS have executed and supervised the entire project technically and in coordination he played an essential part in this endeavor that was (despite or perhaps because of the very fragile status/state of the elements involved) (years-long) running but in the end very rewarding - but also VERY costly. It is therefore fair to say at the very least that his part cannot be overestimated.
From the blu-ray.com forum thread

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Heh.
You know that terrible 4K remaster? That is worse than the 84 Entertainment one.
That one is also (in part) a 84 Entertainment project. And apparently the people responsible for their first effort were also responsible for the second one.

Just sayin'.
Not sure what you trying to say, I am aware that a company can fuck up one project while make a good job in another.

berzeli

Banned
Not sure what you trying to say, I am aware that a company can fuck up one project while make a good job in another.
I'm saying that you had a knee-jerk reaction. And that the new restoration probably is a lot more accurate in terms of colour. And that it too is "made to match the colortone of the special kind of film roll Dario Argento used back then".

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm saying that you had a knee-jerk reaction.
Are you involved in the 4K Restauration or why do you take it so personal? Dude, let it go.
I even said that I maybe overblow things because its a important version of the movie for me.
Give it a rest and if you are really involved in the restautauration, I am sorry. But I still like the Blu-Ray more from what I have seen.

And that the new restoration probably is a lot more accurate in terms of colour. And that it too is "made to match the colortone of the special kind of film roll Dario Argento used back then".
Then they fucked up in one of the two restaurations. Or they lied.

berzeli

Banned
Are you involved in the 4K Restauration or why do you take it so personal? Dude, let it go.
I even said that I maybe overblow things because its a important version of the movie for me.
Give it a rest and if you are really involved in the restautauration, I am sorry. But I still like the Blu-Ray more from what I have seen.

Then they fucked up in one of the two restaurations. Or they lied.
I'm not taking it personally. I stumbled across the fact that the restorations were done by the same team and was feeling a bit catty. That post I made was the product of like two minutes of research.

They didn't "fuck up" or "lie" they probably didn't have access to the budget, the technology, and/or materials required to do a proper restoration back then. They did the best with what they had, and it was an improvement on what was available then.

At least it won't take much for the new Thing transfer to be better than the "pink flares and teal paste for all" Scream transfer. Fucking garbage color change to one of the most important visual cues of the film in what appears to be a case of "let's be different." Did the same shit to Romero's Day of the Dead as well, someone there has a serious hard on for cool blue tones.

That '84 version is FIYA omg all I've ever had is Anchor Bay's R1 DVD. Such an incredible, beautiful film languishing....

I just want a legitimate, R1 HD copy goddammit.

c-murph

Splurged on a couple of Blus this weekend.

I just ordered 10 to Midnight, Chato's Land and Murphy's Law from the Twilight Time sale because Charles Bronson. Apparently, they only have a couple hundred 10 to Midnights left. So any Bronson fans might wanna jump on it.

Still need to get From Noon til Three, Miss Sadie Thompson 3D and the upcoming Valachi Papers from TT. I already have their Hard Time and The Mechanic releases.

Also, ordered Synapse's Popcorn Steelbook and Phenomena Steelbook. Still waiting on Suspiria Steelbook. Probably Halloween now.

I guess there's also a few Dario Agento films coming through Code Red / Scorpion Releasing too. The Church, Opera and the Sect... Someday. Maybe they'll do Steelbooks too. These are some big releases for them. Usually they have some of the shittiest movies put on film restored to HD goodness. I have a few of their release. Mostly the stuff I've seen growing up. I don't blind buy their releases. lol

However worth noting is that this isn't the Synapse restoration. Which apparently is a separate effort.

I just want a legitimate, R1 HD copy goddammit.

This is the version I'm waiting for. The guy usually does good work with his releases. It's been like what? Four years he's been working on this release. I'm sure his Steelbook will be luvly. Have faith. If not... Well, its gotta be better than the grey looking version right?

berzeli

Banned
Allegedly Criterion has the rights for Godard's King Lear!

I mean you'd have to pay me to get me to watch it but it's really exciting that it gets a release.

SeanC

I lost my copy which I had signed by John Carpenter

:mjcry:

If you need something to make up for it, you can go to his website and to the store there and buy some signed vinyl or posters or books or comics for about $20 - $50 bucks.

There's a superb In The Mouth of Madness poster there.

Servbot24

Banned
Just got my shipment in from the 50% off sale... I've never seen Before trilogy and just reading the back of the box is making me nervous, I am so much more scared to watch a romance than I am a horror movie, lol

Mumei

I'm a little annoyed. My copy of Solaris is slightly damaged. It came with the cover slightly damaged. It's not the plastic itself, but the sleeve inside. It's been folded on both the front and the back, with a really deep crease. I want my Criterions to look pretty, dammit. And unfortunately, I've already opened it. I thought that what I was seeing was on the outside, though. :|

Anyway, I e-mailed them about it. We'll see what they say.

Just got my shipment in from the 50% off sale... I've never seen Before trilogy and just reading the back of the box is making me nervous, I am so much more scared to watch a romance than I am a horror movie, lol

That's adorable.

omgkitty

I'm a little annoyed. My copy of Solaris is slightly damaged. It came with the cover slightly damaged. It's not the plastic itself, but the sleeve inside. It's been folded on both the front and the back, with a really deep crease. I want my Criterions to look pretty, dammit. And unfortunately, I've already opened it. I thought that what I was seeing was on the outside, though. :|

Anyway, I e-mailed them about it. We'll see what they say.

They'll send you a replacement cover.

I got my World Cinema boxset, and it was shipped in a box that was almost the exact same size as the packaging, so of course the corners are beat to hell on it. It really annoys the shit out of me and I'm wondering if I should return it for another copy or not.

Mumei

They'll send you a replacement cover.

I got my World Cinema boxset, and it was shipped in a box that was almost the exact same size as the packaging, so of course the corners are beat to hell on it. It really annoys the shit out of me and I'm wondering if I should return it for another copy or not.

I saw your post and then I checked my e-mail and they are sending a replacement!

A coworker actually suggested asking for just the art, since that was really the only thing damaged. I didn't specify, but I'm glad they are making things simple for me. I really didn't want to have to bother with repackaging and returning it. D:

Shiv47

Well, if you like dark stuff, there's plenty of emotional violence in the third one. I don't think you need to worry though, these aren't Meg Ryan-style rom coms.

Indicator seems legit. My copy of Body Double arrived the day after my Criterions from the flash sale and it seems every bit as high quality of a release. Region free too, bless their hearts.

Steamlord

Synapse remains in beast mode.

...I'm just going to assume the super crushed blacks in the last shot are because the screencaps are compressed. Hell, even if they weren't I'd still take the Synapse release based on those screens.

berzeli

Banned
Synapse remains in beast mode.

...I'm just going to assume the super crushed blacks in the last shot are because the screencaps are compressed. Hell, even if they weren't I'd still take the Synapse release based on those screens.
I'm just going to post what I posted in the dedicated thread (!) we got on those Synapse caps.
Jesus if I was Synapse I would never had released those screens, the restoration is probably a work in process but if you were interested in presenting the best possible scenario those caps sure isn't it.
There is a tonne of macroblocking basically everywhere but to illustrate:
UeNuLjr.png

JFFJUCJ.png

There also seems to be some black crush going on but I'm not going to wade into a fight over the colours and what is/isn't the most accurate representation of what it looked like in cinemas because I haven't seen a 35 mm print of it.

It sure is more vivid. But I'm still unconvinced that more vivid=better in an objective sense.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm just going to post what I posted in the dedicated thread (!) we got on those Synapse caps.

Synapse posted JPGs. They haven't finished their restoration, let alone done any compression for their BD. They were only meant to compare timing anyway.
You're a joke.

Top Bottom