• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Ridley327

June releases!

309_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

182_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

885_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

881_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

880_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Ugetsu on Blu-ray makes me a deeply happy human being, and it's always nice to see Criterion get their hands back on a previously OOP title, especially one that really benefited from their presentation like Straw Dogs.

berzeli

Banned
June releases!
That's a solid month!
Ugetsu on Blu-ray makes me a deeply happy human being
This is from a new scan compared to the Eureka one, no?
Never heard of Daughter of the Nile but that trailer was gorgeous.
It's not one of more known works from Hou Hsiao-hsien that's for sure. Which is another reason why I'm excited it gets a good treatment from Eureka/MoC.
It really is.

Blader

Oh shit. I've never seen Straw Dogs, but I do like most Peckinpah. Might be a good blind buy choice for the next sale.

(Has Criterion had Straw Dogs before? Is this an upgrade or a new addition? I feel like I've seen it on their site before)

Oh shit. I've never seen Straw Dogs, but I do like most Peckinpah. Might be a good blind buy choice for the next sale.

(Has Criterion had Straw Dogs before? Is this an upgrade or a new addition? I feel like I've seen it on their site before)

It's an upgrade. DVD went OOP though.

Ridley327

It originally came out back in 2003. It went OOP a little while after that, though it's been hinted at coming back for the past couple of years.

Ridley327

Speaking of extended cuts, will we ever get the full Roadshow version of The Hateful Eight on video?

It sounded like QT wanted to keep that as a theatrical experience, but there's really not much to speak of other than the titles cards for the overture and the intermission.

cj_iwakura

It sounded like QT wanted to keep that as a theatrical experience, but there's really not much to speak of other than the titles cards for the overture and the intermission.

Yep, I saw the roadshow version, and I have the book to boot. It'd just be nice to own that version.

Ridley327

Will be glad to finally replace my DVD copy of Straw Dogs. Didn't realize it had been OOP.

That one was a situation where they actually made so many copies that it took a while for it to deplete, which is why it's never been one of the more valuable OOP titles. I don't even think you had to ever play the nimbus roulette like you had to with many of the early OOP titles.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh shit guys, the Limited Vintage edition of Evil Dead is the best Blu-Ray Release Ive ever bought. Will post some pics at the weekend

Real excited about The Lodger as its one of the few Hitchcock films I haven't seen. Gonna grab Straw Dogs as well during the next CC site sale since I have that $50 coupon.

Ridley327

Sansho will also do. plus it is one of my favorite physical criterions. comes with the booklet and everything

Interestingly, the booklet will be somewhat exclusive to the Blu-ray version of the upcoming upgrade, as that will retain the three short stories that were included with it. The DVD gets just the essay.

TheFlow

Banned
only thing missing is a 47 ronin criterion release. physical release anyway.

straw dogs and they live by night are things I want.

Interestingly, the booklet will be somewhat exclusive to the Blu-ray version of the upcoming upgrade, as that will retain the three short stories that were included with it. The DVD gets just the essay.
sounds great!.

berzeli

Banned
Arrow Announcements for June

UK Only:
C7IVyIwWwAEyW-o.png

UK & US:
C7IWBr9XwAA8BJZ.png
C7IWpniXgAEvPVC.png

C7IXB1mXkAEzezx.png

Hah, they were very literal about their picture clue for Doberman Cop. And oh hey, there is a newly restored Dario Argento film in there as well...
Academy announcements are on Monday.

Ridley327

That sure is a pretty package for The Bird with the Crystal Plumage. Hopefully this release will stand as the only Blu-ray release for more than 4 years this time.

SeanC

Crystal Plummage was the first Argento movie I saw, I have to pick it up for nostalgia reasons alone. Went down a giallo rabbit hole thanks to that one.

omgkitty

If you've got TCM, you may want to clear some space on your DVR and setup some recordings this week. Their lineup this week is INSANE.

Badlands
They Live By Night
Modern Times
Bon Voyage
The Searchers
The Letter
Othello
Psycho
Peeping Tom
The Night of the Hunter
A Face in the Crowd
Westworld
2001 A Space Odyssey

That's just today. It's pretty much like this for the rest of the week. You can find the schedule here.

berzeli

Banned
Oh my god Twilight Time, you really are the worst* aren't you?

MIBOBGk.jpg

Ok so I know what you might be thinking, "berzeli, that looks totally fine. Are you being a joke again?"
And you're right, it is an ok use of this promo pic of Rita Hayworth and Fred Astaire
fGMGRxk.jpg

It's just for the wrong Rita Hayworth/Fred Astaire film.
41W5MHBEAAL._SY445_.jpg

Sigh.

*Well, besides Lionsgate obv.

If you've got TCM, you may want to clear some space on your DVR and setup some recordings this week. Their lineup this week is INSANE.

Badlands
They Live By Night
Modern Times
Bon Voyage
The Searchers
The Letter
Othello
Psycho
Peeping Tom
The Night of the Hunter
A Face in the Crowd
Westworld
2001 A Space Odyssey

That's just today. It's pretty much like this for the rest of the week. You can find the schedule here.

Whoa thanks for the heads up

berzeli

Banned
Arrow Academy time!

UK only:

UK&US:

Seijun Suzuki's The Taisho Trilogy (no packshot)

The Sorrow and the Pity... that's one hell of a release. And I was just thinking about The Taisho Trilogy the day before yesterday, I love coincidences like that.

Ridley327

Oh wow, the Taisho Trilogy is amazing news, given that they've been long out of print from Kino. If it wasn't Criterion putting it out, I'm really glad that it was Arrow.

Holy shit. The Sorrow and the Pity on blu-ray(s)!

Anyone interested in WWII should definitely watch it. Real heroes and real traitors, beyond the usual clichés about Nazi occupied France.

MIBOBGk.jpg

Ok so I know what you might be thinking, "berzeli, that looks totally fine. Are you being a joke again?"
And you're right, it is an ok use of this promo pic of Rita Hayworth and Fred Astaire
fGMGRxk.jpg

41W5MHBEAAL._SY445_.jpg

Sigh.

I've become sick and tired with TT in general.The high price, limited numbers, iffy quality and lack of extras aren't worth the hassle especially since so many of the titles are getting superior region free options for the Uk, Australia, Japan or Germany if you are patient.

Fjordson

MIBOBGk.jpg

fGMGRxk.jpg

41W5MHBEAAL._SY445_.jpg

Sigh.

Wow. That's hilarious.

Top Bottom