• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Shadow of War' adding infinite Shadow Wars as free update

Link.

Developer Monolith has confirmed infinite Shadow Wars will arrive with Shadow of War's first DLC - the Slaughter Tribe.

The news was confirmed during a Monoloith Shadow of War live stream.

Though the Slaughter Tribe DLC costs money, the endless Shadow Wars will come as a free update alongside it.

Shadow Wars are the end game for Shadow of War. Once the game is finished, each of your fortresses comes under attack one at a time from Orc tribes. Players attempt to hold control points to stop the base falling into enemy hands while taking out waves of rival captains or warchiefs.

If you successfully hold the fortress then the Shadow Wars advance and you must defend the next one, however, if you fail, you must work to retake your base.

Infinite Shadow Wars is something fans have been requesting for some time (there was even a petition for the feature). Adding infinite Shadow Wars should give the title additional replay value as previously there was a cut off for the number of Shadow Wars players could take part in.

IvorB

Whale hunting time :)

Moby-Dick-610.jpg

xviper

the game is already all about killing high ranked orcs, and the end content makes you defend your base from high ranked orcs, forever, i don't think there is a more repetitive game than Shadow of mordor series, i haven't played Shadow of war yet but my brother played it and he said it's the same thing as the first game

the game is already all about killing high ranked orcs, and the end content makes you defend your base from high ranked orcs, forever, i don't think there is a more repetitive game than Shadow of mordor series, i haven't played Shadow of war yet but my brother played it and he said it's the same thing as the first game

True, but it appears that fans of the game want and enjoy it, so why not?

Baconmonk

I was under the impression this WAS the current endgame, I must have been mistaken. Is this update free? Or free with the DLC?

I’m enjoying it so far, feels like a B game with insane production value and LotR themes for no good reason. Fun gameplay though! Something very addicting about building up the perfect orc army.

blakep267

I was under the impression this WAS the current endgame, I must have been mistaken. Is this update free? Or free with the DLC?

I’m enjoying it so far, feels like a B game with insane production value and LotR themes for no good reason. Fun gameplay though! Something very addicting about building up the perfect orc army.
It is, but it's not endless. Now it'll be an ongoing thing after the game is finally beaten

if the fans want it then that makes since why they included it, but i would appreciate it if they tried to make different type of Quests like The witcher 3

You mean like the ones where you hit a button, the screen changes color and you follow trails on the ground? I think missions are the weakest thing in SoM, but the Witcher isn’t all that much better when it comes to mission mechanics and shares some of my complaints with SoM/W missions. Their narratives are much better though. Maybe that’s enough to let it go.

snap

Banned
if the fans want it then that makes since why they included it, but i would appreciate it if they tried to make different type of Quests like The witcher 3

"I would appreciate it if you just copied this other game I like instead of trying to do your own thing"

Stimpack

The equipment system is better and the nemesis stuff is OK, but it's pretty much the same game and it doesn't add enough to keep it interesting for very long. That's just how I felt about it, most people seem to love it? Idk.

SomTervo

It's the same thing as the first game for like 20-30 hours, then it goes way farther than the first game, like tens more hours.

Similar structure to Steamworld Dig 2 - it basically contains the first game then grows and grows and grows from there.

You don't even get to the end game until like 40-50 hours or something iirc. I'm 15 hours in and haven't even unlocked some basic abilities yet.

The equipment system is better and the nemesis stuff is OK, but it's pretty much the same game and it doesn't add enough to keep it interesting for very long. That's just how I felt about it, most people seem to love it? Idk.

Did you finish it? See my post.

This is nice. However they need to drop the pretense and let us equip gear to our orcs and customise them so we can play the orc overlord sim that we all want it to be.

No, the game is about collecting high ranking orcs. It's basically a M-rated Pokemon at end-game, you're trying to find and dominate the orcs with the best combination of traits to use for your fortress assaults and defenses.

So basically do the fans want more of the grind that people initially complained about? That is kind of funny.
The fortress stuff is the core part of the game that is actually fun. I really don't see it as a grind. Shadow Wars is a series of challenges that gets more difficult with each defense. The majority of the game has you doing dull story missions and exploring a bland almost pointless open world. I would say the stuff before the Shadow Wars end game is the actual grind.

So basically do the fans want more of the grind that people initially complained about? That is kind of funny.

My initial reaction was that it sounded like it could be fun, the best part of Shadow of Mordor was playing in the sandbox. The story missions were dull chores you had to do to get more toys.

"Go walk with this dwarf for an hour"

"That sounds boring."

"If you don't walk with that dwarf, you won't get to ride caragors later!"

"Fine"

Fury451

Banned
Great, a mode designed to keep me addicted forever.

Whale hunting time :)

Moby-Dick-610.jpg

Eh, the loot box shit is completely overblown and entirely avoidable and unnecessary. The only exception to make it bad is for the stupid true ending horseshit they had to tie it to.

That's never what this game pretended to be.

This game is ALL about combat and building armies and defending and taking territory.

telasoman

Shadow Wars is what made me hate the game lol.

This is how I feel.

I was really enjoying it up till this point, and now i've lost interest. Having to basically kill off and recruit all new captains to have a chance.... all the time I spent before wasted.

Fury451

Banned
I've spent quite a few hours playing the game and the loot boxes are nary an issue.

Maybe that'll change later towards the end of the game but as of now all that blather and derision was much ado about nothing.
It's all overblown.

You can tell it's corporate mandate, and the devs did as much as possible to minimize it. Like Visceral with DS3, it's there because it had to be but unnnecessary for the actual gameplay

At least it's not pay to win shit that gives an edge in competitive multiplayer but only by chance. I'm all for loot boxes dying but this isn't even an issue for the game overall.

Top Bottom