• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapura

Banned
well, it seems if my team does poorly my bars will still go up. Finished a match with Chair in which we were told by our Storm mid that Kunkka is a soft carry, not like him and Huskar. He played about as well as he knew the game to boot. But I landed huge boats and 40 minutes later Kunkka is my third best hero. these perf bars, I do not understand them.

well, it seems if my team does poorly my bars will still go up. Finished a match with Chair in which we were told by our Storm mid that Kunkka is a soft carry, not like him and Huskar. He played about as well as he knew the game to boot. But I landed huge boats and 40 minutes later Kunkka is my third best hero. these perf bars, I do not understand them.

Yeah, W/L has nothing to do with it. Most likely it's shit like farm, kills, deaths, assists. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve has implemented some way of tracking things like number of boat hits per game, or whatever, for the specific case of Kunkka. I hope at some point all of this data is more freely available for my reading pleasure. X:

Lirlond

They are your performance with a hero relative to other people playing that hero. With 2 bars being the average, if you score above the average the bars go up. If you score below it goes under. The more games you play with the hero the more accurate it'll be, especially since it only just started ticking round, so for a lot of the 4 or 5 bars people are reporting are simply because they've had one good game with the hero.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't get them ether, they definitely are putting a ton of stats into some database to calculate them. Maybe it takes all the stats they gather over the game. GPM, XPPM, Item Choices and who each team has, Kills, Deaths, Assists, damage done to heroes and to whom, healing done, crowed control used (Maybe they can even tell if you use some CC badly, like stunning tide hunter when there are other people around), damage taken, damage done to towers, and good old win/loss. Then maybe use some calculations based on the perceived roll of the character should be, and give some metrics a higher weight then others (Deaths likely have less weight on CM then Dragon Knight, buying wards likely has more weight on Witch Doctor then Sven)

I have had games where I have won as 7/0/6 and Necrolyte and my bar barely moved, games where I won and actually went down in rank, and games where we got rolled and I did what I believe is horrible as a character, yet I am ranked as being decent at the character. So winning and loosing has little to do with Hero Performance.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I fail at photoshop.
ibmyMP4fYxs3c7.png

They are your performance with a hero relative to other people playing that hero. With 2 bars being the average, if you score above the average the bars go up. If you score below it goes under. The more games you play with the hero the more accurate it'll be, especially since it only just started ticking round, so for a lot of the 4 or 5 bars people are reporting are simply because they've had one good game with the hero.

I went from having no bars with Skeleton King after the update (what with only having played two games with him prior to it, and those a long, long while ago) to having two bars after one game, and then slowly progressing up to 4.5 bars. Which is weird, 'cause most of the best games were in the first few of those.

Maybe other people just really, really suck at him. I could believe it. It's easy to think you're invincible once you have your ultimate.

JustinBB7

God I fucking hate Russians, played against 5 of them in a pub, they kept spamming u mad? every time they got a kill, kept thrash talking, and then my friend got a bsod so I paused it, they unpaused and I couldn't pause for another x amount of time so my friend got a nice abandon because of those cunts.

Reported all of them, for the love of god Valve, don't even give them their own server, just block them from playing the game at all.

kagete

God I fucking hate Russians, played against 5 of them in a pub, they kept spamming u mad? every time they got a kill, kept thrash talking, and then my friend got a bsod so I paused it, they unpaused and I couldn't pause for another x amount of time so my friend got a nice abandon because of those cunts.

Reported all of them, for the love of god Valve, don't even give them their own server, just block them from playing the game at all.

Wow you are so racist :) Lighten up and try to be more cosmopolitan. Rude players can be of any race or nationality, including yours, as you so elegantly show.

Sanjay

No Kag only Russians do that kind of stuff as everyone already knows that the Dota 2 community is the most up standing bunch of fellas around except Russians of course.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
No Kag only Russians do that kind of stuff as everyone already knows that the Dota 2 community is the most up standing bunch of fellas around except Russians of course.

Thats what a secret Russian would say, Sanjay.

I'm on to you.

Hylian7

It seems private games are still working though.

I was just messing with Lone Druid and I was wondering something else about the recommended items. Am I correct in saying that Power Treads on the bear are kind of a waste? The bear has no Str/Agi/Int, so having that 8 points to the selected stat goes completely to waste on the bear. The 25 attack speed is nice, but couldn't you logically build Phase Boots, or hell, even Tranquil Boots on the bear and put them to better use?

Artanisix

It seems private games are still working though.

I was just messing with Lone Druid and I was wondering something else about the recommended items. Am I correct in saying that Power Treads on the bear are kind of a waste? The bear has no Str/Agi/Int, so having that 8 points to the selected stat goes completely to waste on the bear. The 25 attack speed is nice, but couldn't you logically build Phase Boots, or hell, even Tranquil Boots on the bear and put them to better use?

Phase is MUCH better. I usually do Phase/Stout/Orb of Venom/Two Gloves of Haste on the bear before radiance. He's a very potent ganker if anyone tries to go against him in lane (aside from assholes like Broodmother).

JustinBB7

Wow you are so racist :) Lighten up and try to be more cosmopolitan. Rude players can be of any race or nationality, including yours, as you so elegantly show.

Russians are not a race. I usually ignore them and "lighten up", every "race" as you say can have rude players, but problem with Russians is, it's at least 90%. Swearing, insulting, calling out, unpausing and causing people abandons? Pathetic.

Just played another game filled with Russians, and again it was a horrible experience. Is it just coincidence?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Unless you are considering full potential with aghanims, it seems like the micro heavy heroes have the hardest skill curve.

LukeSmith

I don't get them ether, they definitely are putting a ton of stats into some database to calculate them. Maybe it takes all the stats they gather over the game. GPM, XPPM, Item Choices and who each team has, Kills, Deaths, Assists, damage done to heroes and to whom, healing done, crowed control used (Maybe they can even tell if you use some CC badly, like stunning tide hunter when there are other people around), damage taken, damage done to towers, and good old win/loss. Then maybe use some calculations based on the perceived roll of the character should be, and give some metrics a higher weight then others (Deaths likely have less weight on CM then Dragon Knight, buying wards likely has more weight on Witch Doctor then Sven)

I have had games where I have won as 7/0/6 and Necrolyte and my bar barely moved, games where I won and actually went down in rank, and games where we got rolled and I did what I believe is horrible as a character, yet I am ranked as being decent at the character. So winning and loosing has little to do with Hero Performance.

Based on what people are self-reporting about "filling their bars" - I'd assume the bolded stats are the only ones they are really using right now. Also, given how many times people lose and their bars go up, I'm guessing (like another poster said) that the comparison for the character is based on how that character was played in the context of your team.

My current guess is that all of the players on a team (or in a game) have the same formula run on the stats at the end of the game and then your "Bar Score" from a game (how much your bar moves or doesn't move) is based on the results of your performance in that game.

A bunch of the anecdotal evidence supports this.

It'd be fascinating for someone to start a new account, choose "LOW" tier at the beginning, only play one hero, record all of the stats for both teams at the end of the game and the movement of a bar and then post that all in the thread.

kagete

Russians are not a race. I usually ignore them and "lighten up", every "race" as you say can have rude players, but problem with Russians is, it's at least 90%. Swearing, insulting, calling out, unpausing and causing people abandons? Pathetic.

Just played another game filled with Russians, and again it was a horrible experience. Is it just coincidence?

Gaffers are not a race. I usually accomodate them and lighten up when they're being rude but at least 90% of all gaffers I've played with have sweared, insulted, called out, unpaused, and caused timeouts and abandons in the DOTA/HON/isketch/CS/WOW/monopoly games I've played with them. It's not at all pathetic because we're all human beings.

I just posted in a thread filled with gaffers, and again it was a horrible experience. Is it just coincidence?

Kapura

Banned
Based on what people are self-reporting about "filling their bars" - I'd assume the bolded stats are the only ones they are really using right now. Also, given how many times people lose and their bars go up, I'm guessing (like another poster said) that the comparison for the character is based on how that character was played in the context of your team.

My current guess is that all of the players on a team (or in a game) have the same formula run on the stats at the end of the game and then your "Bar Score" from a game (how much your bar moves or doesn't move) is based on the results of your performance in that game.

A bunch of the anecdotal evidence supports this.

It'd be fascinating for someone to start a new account, choose "LOW" tier at the beginning, only play one hero, record all of the stats for both teams at the end of the game and the movement of a bar and then post that all in the thread.

they'd have to be some sort of no-life neckbeard, of which Dotagaf has plenty. Get on it, nerds.

JustinBB7

Gaffers are not a race. I usually accomodate them and lighten up when they're being rude but at least 90% of all gaffers I've played with have sweared, insulted, called out, unpaused, and caused timeouts and abandons in the DOTA/HON/isketch/CS/WOW/monopoly games I've played with them. It's not at all pathetic because we're all human beings.

I just posted in a thread filled with gaffers, and again it was a horrible experience. Is it just coincidence?

I don't see anything horrible about this thread. Also copy/pasting what I said and replacing it with gaf doesn't make any sense at all. But nice try :)

Edit: And at least on gaf they do it in private games and don't bother other people.

Finalow

same here, they usually like to ruin games and keep trash talking at you (if they know some words of english, usually they don't)

Guesong

I think the point kag is trying to make here guys is that if I was a Russian, I'd be utterly disgusted with what you said.

Condemnable actions happens no matter what race or ethnicity you are. Generalizing such actions to a whole ethnicity is an equally condemnable action, be it in real life (with, for instance, "black people are thugs") or over the internet.

JustinBB7

I think the point kag is trying to make here guys is that if I was a Russian, I'd be utterly disgusted with what you said.

Condemnable actions happens no matter what race or ethnicity you are.

I've seen a few friendly Russian players who agree that most of the Russians are annoying/bad players/don't do team play/troll in general and ruin their games as well. If their own people have to say that, it's pretty bad.

SamVimes

How do people find Invoker hard to play? Yeah you gotta know your stuff a little but he's so powerful that even if you were to use two-three spells per fight you are very useful to the team.

And wow@invoker absolutely cannot die but SF just needs to "Stay long enough in battle to do enough harm."

Swag

How do people find Invoker hard to play? Yeah you gotta know your stuff a little but he's so powerful that even if you were to use two-three spells per fight you are very useful to the team.
Because using two to three spells per fight doesn't mean your using the hero effectively, which is the common misconception with Invoker. People think they can just use Ice Wall, Sun Strike, and Cold Snap and they're being effective, which is far from the truth.

Also knowing what spells to use in what situations, and being able to manage your cooldowns effectively takes time, which makes the hero difficult.

SamVimes

Because using two to three spells per fight doesn't mean your using the hero effectively, which is the common misconception with Invoker. People think they can just use Ice Wall, Sun Strike, and Cold Snap and their being effective, which is far from the truth.

Also knowing what spells to use in what situations, and being able to manage your cooldowns effectively takes time, which makes the hero difficult.

I don't know, i'm a pretty average player and in a teamfight with Aghs usually i use every spell except sunstrike and maybe alacrity.

If you get a couple of heroes in the tornado it's pretty easy to just throw meteor-emp-defeaning strike and already get a huge contribution.

dorkimoe

Because using two to three spells per fight doesn't mean your using the hero effectively, which is the common misconception with Invoker. People think they can just use Ice Wall, Sun Strike, and Cold Snap and they're being effective, which is far from the truth.

If i ever randomed and got him, I would just tornado/emp and nothing else. But the invisibility for escape would come in handy

Sanjay

Condemnable actions happens no matter what race or ethnicity you are. Generalizing such actions to a whole ethnicity is an equally condemnable action, be it in real life (with, for instance, "black people are thugs") or over the internet.

There not? I saw a black guy for the first time in awhile so I followed him, he looked suspicious, he was black and then he noticed me, my life was in danger so I had to pepper spray him and run for my life. Savage people, never going to follow black people again.

Kapura

Banned
There not? I saw a black guy for the first time in awhile so I followed him, he looked suspicious, he was black and then he noticed me, my life was in danger so I had to pepper spray him and run for my life. Savage people, never going to follow black people again.

thank god you're OK.

Swag

SMH
I don't know, i'm a pretty average player and in a teamfight with Aghs usually i use every spell except sunstrike and maybe alacrity.
Should teach the leagues of terrible invokers

Ultrabum

steve randomed invoker the other day, went quas wex, only casted emp, tornado, cold snap. was super effective! Never even died because of quas regen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom