• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Region Code confirmed by Nintendo JP Support

Suzzopher

Stumpokapow said:
The worst part about these region locks is that it's actually impossible to know the end-game impact. It's impossible to tell how many Japanese games are going to be localized, how many US games are going to be brought to Japan, if Atlus will ever make it into Europe, if Nintendo will keep releasing stuff in Europe but not America, etc. Any decision you make about which region to get could bite you if the winds of change disfavour that region. :/

This is my fear. I always preferred portable gaming due to the whole freedom of the experience. Not being tied to a TV and freedom of software purchases were so appealing.

Rolf NB said:
Disappointing.
Elaborate? Is this about reaching problem parity with some other device?

It was more a comment about them finally saying something about it, so we don't have to guess or speculate. It's nice to get some confirmation.

richisawesome said:
I personally wont be affected by this. However, I know a few people who will be (who frequently fly to the USA and back here to the UK), and they're slightly pissed off. It's really inconvinent - back in the GBA and DS 1 days you could be anywhere in the world, and if you see a game you like, it's yours. You can buy it, and it'll work in your handheld.

the interesting (and tragic) thing is that this is why the GB, GBA and DS were region free when the home consoles weren't, because Nintendo figured that people travelling with them might want to buy games.

i understand the DLC store being region locked (since i can access it from anywhere in the world) and it sits alongside that logic (PSP stores are regioned too), but dropping region free cart support with the DSi was definately proof of a big change in their philosophy.

i honestly wonder what brought it on. Nintendo of Europe bitching about pokemon sales in the UK market i would guess... but i don't know.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Vinterbird said:
Whenever I would consider importing, is when there is no possible way a game would release in my region (like Quendan 2), but the Phoenix Wright games came out here, and I didn't see the above list posted which contains some fairly big name gams, which would totally justify importing. I just, personally, have a hard time seeing importing being something I would do if I knew the game was coming out in my region at some point.

But that is very much a subjective line of thinking, and if you want to play a game immediately, it is great to have the choice to import early.
Well I just used some Nintendo games as an example. I have the Project Diva games for my PSP and those without a doubt will NEVER come out here.

Foffy

Banned
Vinterbird said:
I just, personally, have a hard time seeing importing being something I would do if I knew the game was coming out in my region at some point.

I think Nintendo has shown with their own releases that you can't be certain that the game will be released in your region. I mean, Nintendo of America skipped on a Hotel Dusk sequel, a Trace Memory sequel, an improved re-release of Pikmin 2, and a Legend of Zelda spinoff. I figured all of those would have been surefire releases in the US, but for whatever strange reason, they just didn't come over.

Nintendo of America literally has me worried that they'll ignore anything that isn't a game that will print money now, and ignore the more obscure but still compelling games that Nintendo of Japan or Europe will still get. They're already doing that, and I greatly dislike them for it.

What's worse is I'm really, really getting into games by Nihon Falcom, and I'm loving that XSeed is publishing their games. But what if that publishing scenario stops but Falcom decides to make games for the 3DS, with no localizer is sight? I'm totally boned from playing their games in any form on my US 3DS? I think that's bullshit.

Yazuka

Urgh, I was afraid of this. To be honest, my whole interest level for 3DS dropped hard. Might get a US 3DS much, much later then.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Wow. Talk about an overreaction.

First of all, who on the planet didn't see this coming? Second, the system is going to be hacked eventually, and you'll have your 3DS homebrew channel just like you have one on your Wii, and you'll be able to load the few good import games that you need to.

I mean, yeah it sucks, but it is both unsurprising and not a huge deal.

Stumpokapow said:
The worst part about these region locks is that it's actually impossible to know the end-game impact. It's impossible to tell how many Japanese games are going to be localized, how many US games are going to be brought to Japan, if Atlus will ever make it into Europe, if Nintendo will keep releasing stuff in Europe but not America, etc. Any decision you make about which region to get could bite you if the winds of change disfavour that region. :/

So true :(

Luckily, at this point in time anyway, looking at the 2011 3DS release list across all regions you would expect most of the big games/first-party games to come out everywhere at some point this year, with the exception of probably Layton. It's next year and into the future when the releases start speeding up that the problems come :/

At the minute, there's only really one Japan-only game I want this year (assuming what I said earlier about the big/first-party games making it out in all regions) and that's Karous 3D. But then do I buy it on release and wait until such time as I have a Japanese 3DS or there is a region hack? Or do I wait for a while and risk it becoming hard to find?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
still buying UK I guess. Will be flying to Japan after JPN launch, and probably after UK launch (depends on timing).

But not enough JPN games have english options, and importing is expensive.

US could be an option but since our currency got fucked that isn't the bargain it used to be.

So UK for safe returns under warranty, plus NoE - give them their dues - have been a lot better in the last couple of years with availability.

swerve

Stumpokapow said:

This is very true, but I just realised I have no choice, as I have a truckload of DSiWare from the JP store and I won't be giving that up...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
EU:
+ Several exclusive English language games
+ Dirt cheap week one sales if you're in the UK
- Significantly higher software pricing if not
- Many US games not localized

JPN:
+ Largest software library
+ First releases
- Very high cost for importing games if you're not in Japan
- Japanese language required

USA:
+ Largest English language library
+ Lowest day one prices across all software
- NOA and select third parties suck at localizing stuff

With a bonus if you're out of region:
- No warranty support
- Shipping cost to import games
- Possibility of getting burned by having to import an expensive copy of a game that's cheap in-region

*sigh*

richisawesome said:
If I did get a USA 3DS, would it even be better in terms of software releases? Off the top of my head, I can think of numerous DS games that came out in the UK but not in the USA (Tingle as a prime example). I honestly cant think of a DS release that the USA got and we didn't - but I can think of a lot which occured the other way round. Is it really worth it?

It depends on your level of patience really. Personally, when I see a game I want released in the US or Japan, I import it because I'm very impatient when it comes to games. But if you don't mind waiting then it's likely that a good amount of games the US gets will also come to the UK/EU. Although if you're talking about more niche titles, it's anybody's guess :/

Rich!

I just hope us in the UK don't get another Kirby situation. Came out in October in the states....out next month over here. If that happened with a bigger release then...FUUUUUU.

Luckily, the Nintendo release dates in the UK seem to be getting a lot better. I can actually see the 3DS launching over here before the USA, which would obviously reduce the need for importing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If I do feel the need to buy a Japanese 3DS buying it as the second system increases the chance of there being more colours to choose from.

dani_dc

This is the kind of news that makes me not want to pick the console. At least not anywhere near release. Region free was one of my favourite things about the DS and I have a fair number of imports.

Stumpokapow said:
He listed 8 games.

The Dark Spire -- was never released in Europe
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime -- was never released in Europe
Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard -- was never released in Europe
Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City -- was never released in Europe

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor -- was never released in Europe
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey -- was never released in Europe

I assume your apology is forthcoming.

Some of the games I had the most fun with on the DS, the idea of missing out on Atlus games because of region coding makes me a very sad person.

Htown said:
First of all, who on the planet didn't see this coming? Second, the system is going to be hacked eventually, and you'll have your 3DS homebrew channel just like you have one on your Wii, and you'll be able to load the few good import games that you need to.

it's weird. i could swear that my PSP has homebrew on it, and i still can't buy Pac Man CE and play it on the thing.

out of region DSi ware? DSi region locked games working on the DSi? nope.

there is no guaranteeing that it will eventually be hacked and be able to play games out of region. even if we stipulate that such a thing can happen, modding my 3DS will carry with it a risk that i will have my system banned from online even if i only use it to play games i legally bought.

even if the system is made region free by hackers and there is no risk in making it region free (either risk of bricking the system or risk of the system being banned) what the hell is the point of the region lock?

so it's a lose lose argument. either it won't be made region free and i'm left missing out on games or it is made region free, which will beg the question 'why try to prevent it in the first place?'

Rich!

Oh god, never noticed the Etrian Oddessy games not coming out here in the UK.

Gah, didnt think it was that bad.

inner-G

Banned
duckroll said:
Guys, I think he's talking about real pirates. The one who hijack and rob incoming shipments by sea, and then proceed to sell the games back in their own regions for 1/5 the price. Surely region coding will deter such horrible acts from being committed!
/shakes fist at Luffy

Htown said:
Wow. Talk about an overreaction.

I mean, yeah it sucks, but it is both unsurprising and not a huge deal.

It was pretty inevitable, but an overreaction and not a huge deal? A huge percentage of my overall collection of games are US or Japanese and I have been used to importing games for years so to go back to slow and unpredictable NoE release schedules more than warrants my annoyance at the region lock being put in place.

gerg

plagiarize said:
so it's a lose lose argument. either it won't be made region free and i'm left missing out on games or it is made region free, which will beg the question 'why try to prevent it in the first place?'

Stumpokapow said:
Region coding is designed to allow for regional price segmentation and crush grey market parallel importation. That is the only impact.

I'd question just how much money is lost through grey market importation and people buying games out-of-region, however.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
duckroll said:
Guys, I think he's talking about real pirates. The one who hijack and rob incoming shipments by sea, and then proceed to sell the games back in their own regions for 1/5 the price. Surely region coding will deter such horrible acts from being committed!
No *trembles*

Real pirates with eye patches!?

I agree with the big FU to Nintendo on this. No excuses.

Balb

I don't feel great having to rely on custom firmware and hacks to begin with. There are a lot of new games I can't play on my CFW PSP, so I haven't played it in months.

As long as NoA doesn't pull anymore bs like they did with the Tingle games, it shouldn't affect me directly. Even so, it sucks. I like knowing that I can import a game if it's not released here. Helped me play some great games on other consoles.

Curufinwe

Lame. I imported Ouendan and Ouendan 2, and they make up a third of my entire collection of DS games.

For hardcore gamers in Europe and Australia/NZ, this is a bit of a disaster.

Rich!

tzare said:
so i guess now hackers and geohots will switch from PS3 to 3DS. It works like that , doesn't it?

To be totally honest, I think it'll be the flashcart makers before anyone else. But that's a discussion for another thread.

All I can say is that I'm so glad I'm not a gamer in Australia right now...poor guys.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I cant believe I'm going to be forced to buy games at PAL prices. HOW DO I ESCAPE THIS NIGHTMARE?

Empty

URGH. i expected it, but damn it still hurts. especially bad for fans of rpgs, as atlus doesn't have a uk office, but also because of large release gaps between eu and us releases, cool jp only games that are playable without knowing any japanese, and me no longer being able to buy myself a new 3ds game if i'm on holiday in north america.

Foffy

Banned
EatChildren said:
I cant believe I'm going to be forced to buy games at PAL prices. HOW DO I ESCAPE THIS NIGHTMARE?

Wait for some card/exploit that breaks the region encoding. There's always something like that released on these systems.

Speaking of which, is Datel still around? :lol

Rich!

EatChildren said:

UK or Australia?

I'm (and the people I work for) are expecting a £34.99 pricepoint in the UK for games on the 3DS. Luckily, with discount they end up for me at £29.99.

I'm sure you'll get equal prices in the UK if you shop around online. Uh, not sure about Australia though...

caligula13 said:
so, which are these games that got released in Europe but not in US and vice versa?

or do you all speak japanese?

I speak Japanese. I'm an American living in Japan. You can see why I'd be angry.

Shiggy

EatChildren said:

NIGHTMARE? WHAT? European game prices are a joy this generation. I had to pay up to 60 Euros for GCN games, Wii games are available for 20-40 Euros already at launch, including games such as SMG2.

Acosta

Stumpokapow said:
EU:
+ Several exclusive English language games
+ Dirt cheap week one sales if you're in the UK
- Significantly higher software pricing if not

JPN:
+ Largest software library
+ First releases
- Very high cost for importing games if you're not in Japan
- Japanese language required

USA:
+ Largest English language library
+ Lowest day one prices across all software
- NOA and select third parties suck at localizing stuff

With a bonus if you're out of region:
- No warranty support
- Shipping cost to import games
- Possibility of getting burned by having to import an expensive copy of a game that's cheap in-region

*sigh*

Great summary, but don't forget that this practically warranties we will have to deal (again) with different power chargers for each region, making the thing practically worthless for people who travels a lot overseas, aside of adding extra hassle for those who want to import one (yes, I have a step down converter, but the thing it´s extremely heavy, which means that if I consider importing one, I will have to carry that thing when I'm out of home for some days, which is not practical at all.)

This sucks.

beje

Banned
I don't know if they will be able to crack it at all. As far as I know, the most they've been able to do with DSi is make the standard DS mode work on "homebrew" carts.

In one hand this pisses me off very much, as around half my DS collection are either obscure games not likely to be released on Europe (even though all of them eventually did) or games that not only I could get months earlier from USA, but also at almost half the price even taking shipping into account. In the other hand, maybe if the console remains unhacked, this can be a great incentive to localise obscure games and do quicker price drops in software due to increased sales.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shiggy said:
NIGHTMARE? WHAT? European game prices are a joy this generation. I had to pay up to 60 Euros for GCN games, Wii games are available for 20-40 Euros already at launch, including games such as SMG2.

Yeah but its awesome importing games from the states when their dollar is fucked.

Rich!

Acosta said:
Great summary, but don't forget that this practically warranties we will have to deal (again) with different power chargers for each region, making the thing practically worthless for people who travels a lot overseas, aside of adding extra hassle for those who want to import one (yes, I have a step down converter, but the thing it´s extremely heavy, which means that if I consider importing one, I will have to carry that thing when I'm out of home, which is not practical at all.)

This sucks.

Nope. I really don't think so. Obviously each charger unit will be different due to the varying currents in each region, but the actual input on the 3DS will be the same no matter what. And we already know it's the same charger as the DSi, from the leaked chinese thief dude's images.

Just do what I did for my XL and buy a DS-USB adapter. Success. Works everywhere in the world, and a USB to AC adapter (like you use for the ipod) is worth barely a couple of quid no matter where you are in the world.

usbcable.jpg

isound-usb-ac-outlet-adapter-348.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Acosta said:
Great summary, but don't forget that this practically warranties we will have to deal (again) with different power chargers for each region, making the thing practically worthless for people who travels a lot overseas, aside of adding extra hassle for those who want to import one (yes, I have a step down converter, but the thing it´s extremely heavy, which means that if I consider importing one, I will have to carry that thing when I'm out of home, which is not practical at all.)

This sucks.

If we're lucky the 3DS cradle will be USB-charging or there'll be a third party one shortly after release so that should knock out that issue at least.

hatchx

Banned
This isn't that big of a deal. Homebrew, when it hits after a couple months, will be incredibly easy.

There's too many games on the market these days anyways, atleast in NA.

Xater

Just to name another Japanese franchise that I love on the portable, and couldn't even continue to play because of DSi region coding: Power Pro Kun. I am stuck on 11 and 3DS killed it for me at least on Nintendo handhelds.

gerg

Stumpokapow said:
If we're lucky the 3DS cradle will be USB-charging or there'll be a third party one shortly after release so that should knock out that issue at least.

Yeah. I got my DS Lite from America, and had no problem finding a GAME-branded charger back in the UK.

caligula13

Gold Member
Cheesemeister said:
I speak Japanese. I'm an American living in Japan. You can see why I'd be angry.

why are you so angry? if you live in japan and speak japanese you can buy japanese games?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Acosta said:

This sucks.

Depending on how often you're overseas, but you could buy the charger for that region separately.

Or, buy a USB charger - I have USB charging cables made for the PSP, GBA, DSL, DSi. Quite handy, and very portable.

Top Bottom