• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Region Code confirmed by Nintendo JP Support

Somnid

No surprises here. I'll be sad if there's a Ouedan 3 but otherwise I doubt I'll be missing much from the US. It'll suck more if I'm living in the Japan in the next few years but my GF wants a JPN 3DS so I might be covered.

Well, looks like I'll be going the route of buying solid looking games for a system I don't yet own....yet again...

With the system price and all else, the hardware can just wait and I can support good, packaged releases. Sucks for any good DD releases that may come about, but I'll just be late to the party. : /

farnham

Banned
Foffy said:
It's very sporadic.

Super Smash Bros Brawl:
Japan - January 31, 2008
North America - March 9, 2008
Australia - June 26, 2008
Europe - June 27, 2008

Kirby's Epic Yarn:
Japan - October 14, 2010
North America - October 17, 2010
Europe - February 25, 2011 (!!)

Mario Sports Mix:
Japan - November 25, 2010
Australia - January 27, 2011
Europe - January 28, 2011
United Kingdom - February 4, 2011
North America - February 7, 2011

And of course, there's the games that Europe never gets, which could just be a list sad enough it'd make anybody cry.
we got anothercode and disaster day of crisis though :p

Vanille

El-Suave said:
The DS has been doing so well in Europe (and in the higher priced countries within Europe) it should have demonstrated to Nintendo that they don't really need region codes. I really don't get why they see the need for it at least as far as the US/Europe(Aus)/Japan territories are concerned. Don't know about the rest of Asia and the other regions tough.

This is what confuses me. Nintendo's fears are not based on reality.

onken

JustAnotherOtaku said:
IIRC, there was one recently where it was rumoured to be region locked because it was on 360 but in the end it was region free on PS3. Can't remember which game it was though.

That was a such a non-story, I think Play-Asia put "JP only" or something in their Bayonetta listing, thrown in a healthy dash of wishful thinking from the XDF and suddenly a precedent had been set! Or not, as it turned out.

onken said:
That was a such a non-story, I think Play-Asia put "JP only" or something in their Bayonetta listing, thrown in a healthy dash of wishful thinking from the XDF and suddenly a precedent had been set! Or not, as it turned out.

That was it! Yeah it was a pretty ridiculous situation and response.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Vanille said:
This is what confuses me. Nintendo's fears are not based on reality.

They're probably going back to their price fixing and gouging ways, I imagine the bean counters insist on it. Maybe one day a journalist will have the spine to actually question what Nintendo does instead of drooling all over them. It's hard to believe that the actual content creators at Nintendo would be in favour of region locking.

Pooya

Pyrokai said:
Aren't PS3 consoles region locked, though? What's the difference between locking a system and locking a game?
just for blu-ray, DVD video and PS1, PS2 games. All PS3 games work on every console regardless of region except for SD standard for PAL and NTSC games, some NTSC or PAL games may not boot on NTSC or PAL consoles in SD mode output due to differences in video standards and you get an error message instead, obviously by using HD output this won't be an issue for PS3 games.
Region locking a system requires that games to be region coded too obviously; In case of PS3, games are region coded but it doesn't matter for the console aside from what I mentioned above; If someday Sony decides that they want to make the system region locked they can do so because games are region coded.

DLC is region locked too;

Dave Long

Banned
Ushojax said:
They're probably going back to their price fixing and gouging ways, I imagine the bean counters insist on it. Maybe one day a journalist will have the spine to actually question what Nintendo does instead of drooling all over them. It's hard to believe that the actual content creators at Nintendo would be in favour of region locking.
This is just silly. No one cares outside of a few people on messageboards. Region locks aren't some massive consipracy against every consumer of videogames. 99% of the gamebuying public doesn't care in the least.

I would really like to punch Iwata, Reggie and whoever else supported this idea in the face. Maybe scream at them like a psychopath, too. With angry tears in my eyes. >:I

Seriously, this is fucking awful. I demand justice! I want the Nintendo execs to get called out on this in every interview from now on. Maybe throw tomatoes at them during the next e3 press conference. :lol

darkwing

Dave Long said:
This is just silly. No one cares outside of a few people on messageboards. Region locks aren't some massive consipracy against every consumer of videogames. 99% of the gamebuying public doesn't care in the least.

this, majority of the 3DS buying public won't care about importing a game

Jucksalbe

Banned
Being a European JRPG player, my DS library is about 50% US games, most of which were never or much much later released over here. At the beginning of this console generation I really thought Sony would set a positive example for region free consoles (and handhelds), but I guess noone learned from it.

Vinci

Danish
Okay.

Time to test that "unhackable" comment by THQ's boss.

Not that folks weren't going to hack the hell out of the thing anyway. Now I'll just be happier when they do.

Not only are high-profile Nintendo first party releases usually late in Europe, they often screw them up too. The Euro version of Advance Wars Days of Ruin had a different shitty localisation and changed lots of unit stats to the point where you had to play differently on the European version.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how will this impact online gaming? Do you think they'll completely regionalise online so US can only play against US? That'd be shitty. And didn't Capcom's SFIV presentation show global online?

Somnid

mrklaw said:
how will this impact online gaming? Do you think they'll completely regionalise online so US can only play against US? That'd be shitty. And didn't Capcom's SFIV presentation show global online?

Unless it's for latency reduction, no, not at all.

mrklaw said:

Yeah, pretty sure SFIV was confirmed to have region-free online. I would imagine other games depend on the publisher :/

turnbuckle

Nintendo is trying to lower initial demand because they can't supply enough for everyone.

This is the first handheld where my anticipation has waned the closer we got to launch.
I'll still probably find myself in a moment of weakness and buy it along with everyone else at launch, but boy do I already have preemptive buyer's remorse

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dave Long said:

Yes, but we are those "few people on message boards"--so there's not really any reason to post "lol nerds who gives a shit" in the thread, and in the mean time 1) this isn't a case of failing to support something people want to do, it's a case of actively blocking it, which is obnoxious no matter how niche the use case is, and 2) "99% of the gamebuying public" doesn't buy 100 games a year like a lot of people on GAF do so it's not like there's a 1:1 equivalence in terms of how it makes sense to treat customers.

Londa

Banned
Not a problem for me sense I don't speak Japanese. I don't find playing games in a language I don't understand "fun". Yes I will miss out on some games, but I've learned to live with if for this long.

Londa said:
Not a problem for me sense I don't speak Japanese. I don't find playing games in a language I don't understand "fun". Yes I will miss out on some games, but I've learned to live with if for this long.

It's not just about speaking Japanese.

Live in Europe? No Strange Journey, EO2, or EO3 for you!

Live in the US? Inazuma 11? Tingle? What's that?

Somnid

Pureauthor said:

I find this less related to region locking and more related to localization effort.

Foffy

Banned
Londa said:

What about games in a language you can grasp but still not released where you live? When Demon's Souls came out, the Asian version had English text, making it very import friendly.

And we all know what the craze from importers about the game resulted in.

Dave Long said:
i don't agree with your made up figure. it might only occasionally be relevant, but i know from experience that many people who travel on holiday buy games for their kids who have brought their hand helds with them. they are often concerned that they might not work. i work at a Gamestop in a holiday destination. i see it week in week out come the summer. these are average people who don't know if DS games will work on their EU system or not, these are not tech savvy people, yet they want to buy American games while here.

most people travel abroad. even if they weren't looking to import, if they see a cheap game, or a game they can't get at home, for the handheld in their backpack why would they not care if it will work or not?

i know that Europe is very savvy about importing because they've been given reason to. i know that import sections in video game stores used to be very common until Nintendo agressively went after them.

Somnid said:
I find this less related to region locking and more related to localization effort.

On requires them to actively exert more effort on their part, and the the simply requires them not to go out of their way to fuck with customers.

(And localizing isn't even possible in some cases - Atlus doesn't even have a PAL branch.)

Xater

Foffy said:
What about games in a language you can grasp but still not released where you live? When Demon's Souls came out, the Asian version had English text, making it very import friendly.

The Ouendan import craze also allowed a western version of that series. Importing can actually be a healthy thing for the industry.

Dave Long

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Yes, but we are those "few people on message boards"--so there's not really any reason to post "lol nerds who gives a shit" in the thread, and in the mean time 1) this isn't a case of failing to support something people want to do, it's a case of actively blocking it, which is obnoxious no matter how niche the use case is, and 2) "99% of the gamebuying public" doesn't buy 100 games a year like a lot of people on GAF do so it's not like there's a 1:1 equivalence in terms of how it makes sense to treat customers.
I'm not really directing my comment at the ones who care for their own selfish reasons (and I mean that in the good sense of the word selfish... because hey, people all dig different stuff) but for those who say things like "bye bye 3DS" as if this has any actual bearing on the system's success or failure. It doesn't.

And really, I still think your number 2) is a non-issue among the 1% because most of those folks aren't buying imports in any real quantity either. They just want the option there if a game or two comes out over the life of the system that never gets localized and gains a huge cult following.

Also, I wouldn't call it "obnoxious" that they're blocking by region. It's more like "annoying", "expected" and "not that big a deal".

Ushojax

darkwing said:
this, majority of the 3DS buying public won't care about importing a game

Nintendo has always been like this, though. They seem to think that if they don't release a game themselves in a certain market, for whatever reason, it's better that market isn't able to play it at all. They also don't like importing as it used to be a lot cheaper to buy US games, and they would also come out much earlier. I remember they threw a huge bitch fit when Pokemon Ruby was being imported before the EU release, that led to high-street stores dropping imports altogether.

It might be a totally niche thing to want to get exclusive games from other regions, but there is no reason to prevent it.

beje said:
NoA won't localise any game without money-printing potential

Not true at all. Glory of Heracles, Magical Starsign, Starfy, Chibi Robo Park Patrol all got localised. As did Star Successor, Endless Ocean 2, etc. The annoying thing is when NoE releases a game and NoA doesn't, but both subsidiaries pass on a lot of titles altogether.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
slaughterking said:
I would really like to punch Iwata, Reggie and whoever else supported this idea in the face. Maybe scream at them like a psychopath, too. With angry tears in my eyes. >:I

Seriously, this is fucking awful. I demand justice! I want the Nintendo execs to get called out on this in every interview from now on. Maybe throw tomatoes at them during the next e3 press conference. :lol

Silly slaughterking, you expect "journalists" to ask hard questions?

beje

Banned
Somnid said:

Which, unless some miracle happens, will still suck as NoA won't localise any game without money-printing potential and NCL will cockblock anything from arriving to Europe for the most stupid reasons (like Excitebots fuck-you-for-no-reason or Fatal Frame 4 we'd-rather-not-release-the-game-than-fix-the-bugs).

NoE is the lesser evil here, as they always make the extra effort to bring interesting games with no publisher here like the Trauma Center saga or help with the distribution to smaller publisers like Rising Star Games.

Ushojax said:
Nintendo has always been like this, though. They seem to think that if they don't release a game themselves in a certain market, for whatever reason, it's better that market isn't able to play it at all. They also don't like importing as it used to be a lot cheaper to buy US games, and they would also come out much earlier. I remember they threw a huge bitch fit when Pokemon Ruby was being imported before the EU release, that led to high-street stores dropping imports altogether.
and they've already sussed out what to do to fix that problem on a region free system like the DS. release it in Europe at the same time as the US version. Black and White are coming out a couple of days before US even right?

doing that solves the issue of people importing pokemon without forcing region restrictions on people and without suing stores that dared offer imported titles.

Dave Long

Banned
plagiarize said:
i know that Europe is very savvy about importing because they've been given reason to. i know that import sections in video game stores used to be very common until Nintendo agressively went after them.
This isn't true in the US. Import sections were never commonplace in the US. Certain mom and pop stores have had them, mostly in big cities and they also would do mail order. This is how the likes of NCSX and Diehard Gamefan made their name. However, they were not the norm, not even close.

Importing videogames has never been a huge deal, especially outside of California and some large cities. It's blown way out of proportion by the Internet.

Vinci

Danish
Here's hoping there's a quick region lock hack, or that Nintendo gets its localizations together. So, yeah, basically just pray it's hacked fast.

What a stupid thing for a company to incentivize.

gerg

Dave Long said:
Also, I wouldn't call it "obnoxious" that they're blocking by region. It's more like "annoying", "expected" and "not that big a deal".

Yeah, I think that "obnoxious" is a weird word to use. One meaning is "rude", which very few business decisions would come under; the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary also gives "very unpleasant", but I'm not sure that being able to play Japanese 3DS games is "unpleasant" as opposed to "annoying".

Ranger X

The only thing that bothers me with region locking is that some games aren't released in all territories. Basically, it's Nintendo telling me what to play instead of me chosing. I don't give a fuck they think my territory is not worth publishing X game. If I want to give them my money for that game by importation what is the problem? They would have an argument if importation was really creating shortages and such but it is not the case therefore region locking or not releasing a game in all territories is bullshit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dave Long said:
I'm not really directing my comment at the ones who care for their own selfish reasons (and I mean that in the good sense of the word selfish... because hey, people all dig different stuff) but for those who say things like "bye bye 3DS" as if this has any actual bearing on the system's success or failure. It doesn't.

When they're saying "bye bye 3DS", they're not saying the system is going to fail, they're saying they aren't going to buy it. No one is expressing the idea that this is going to cost Nintendo billions of dollars, make them lose money, torpedo their console, or anything else. Obviously importers are a niche. And yet, for those people, this sucks. It's a slap in the face. And it's an unnecessary active slap in the face, not just a failure to support a small use case. In the mean time, for the people who are negatively impacted by this, there's no obvious corresponding upside, so it feels like someone went out of their way to make the product less appealing to them.

There's no possible way you could misread what people are saying here.

It's a big deal for people who are saying "This is a big deal for me". By repeatedly reiterating that these people don't count, you're insulting those people, and acting like you know their needs better than them. Assume good faith. If people are saying it's a big deal to them, it probably is. If Kittonwy came back from the dead and was like "rawr now i won't buy nintendo products", feel free to call him out for concern trolling. I don't think that's the case in this thread. People are earnestly complaining about something that's a problem to them.

In the mean time, annoying and obnoxious are synonyms and I refuse to believe that the semantic distinction between the two merits making contrarian replies to people about their word choice.

Dave Long said:
This isn't true in the US. Import sections were never commonplace in the US. Certain mom and pop stores have had them, mostly in big cities and they also would do mail order. This is how the likes of NCSX and Diehard Gamefan made their name. However, they were not the norm, not even close.

Importing videogames has never been a huge deal, especially outside of California and some large cities. It's blown way out of proportion by the Internet.
i know it isn't true here, because its very rare for a game to come out in English cheaper and earlier in other countries. Europe is a massive market though, i know it's the American way to pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist, or count, but if Europe didn't exist, i doubt that Nintendo would have even felt the need to do this.

gerg

Stumpokapow said:
In the mean time, annoying and obnoxious are synonyms

No, they're not.

and I refuse to believe that the semantic distinction between the two merits making contrarian replies to people about their word choice.

You may have a point there.

hamchan

Dave Long said:

And really, I still think your number 2) is a non-issue among the 1% because most of those folks aren't buying imports in any real quantity either. They just want the option there if a game or two comes out over the life of the system that never gets localized and gains a huge cult following.

Except it's actually a very big deal for people who regularly get screwed over by release dates ie. the large amount of people living in PAL territories.

Londa

Banned
Pureauthor said:

The only EU game I wanted was another code. The same will prolly follow suit with the 3DS. So what if I miss 1-2 games in the life span of the 3DS?

Please remember that this is how I feel. Maybe you feel differently but I don't have to think/feel like you.

I've never been attracted to Demon Souls. Also there is a english version that came out later. I do not need to get all my games on day one. I don't have that much free time to play all those games and having games sitting in my collection not getting played is a waste of money. Since I'm not rich and need to pay bills.

Ushojax

plagiarize said:
and they've already sussed out what to do to fix that problem on a region free system like the DS. release it in Europe at the same time as the US version. Black and White are coming out a couple of days before US even right?

doing that solves the issue of people importing pokemon without forcing region restrictions on people and without suing stores that dared offer imported titles.

Yes, it did do all that. And now the locked system means they could go back to doing whatever the fuck they want like they did with the N64 and the GameCube, as you can't play the imports anyway.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Well this sucks. I blame the poor American dollar. I'll still buy one at launch. I'll figure out import stuff later if/when I need to.

Completely unsurprising, and I expect that it'll have minimal impact on me. But somewhere down the road, I'm sure there'll be a first-party title I'll want that will be released in English by NoE but not NoA... sigh.

Top Bottom