• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Region Code confirmed by Nintendo JP Support

DoomXploder7 said:
Did people really expect other wise? No surprises here, just put up with it or wait for the thing to inevitably be hacked.
i expected this thing i don't like to happen. i am not surprised by its occurance.

why does that mean i should silently put up with it? i get to buy a 3DS and complain about any aspects that, while they don't convince me not to own the system are definately things I think are faults or flaws and should be changed or improved.

surely as someone who actually buys the thing, i will be the first person to complain about disapointing aspects.

spons

Gold Member
Judging from the history of Nintendo consoles and handhelds it'll get hacked in no time and this entire region thing won't be a problem at all.

spons said:
Judging from the history of Nintendo consoles and handhelds it'll get hacked in no time and this entire region thing won't be a problem at all.
Now watch this being the first Nintendo console that is actually very difficult to hack and even more difficult to mod for the end user. :lol

Boney

Banned
spons said:
DSi has just made progress. 3DS will have very high security measures.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
DoomXploder7 said:
Did people really expect other wise? No surprises here, just put up with it or wait for the thing to inevitably be hacked.

Could be a long wait. Haven't Nintendo been making noise about how they dialed up the security massively on the 3DS?

spons said:
shouldn't you actually look at the history before making judgements from it?

beje

Banned
spons said:

The main problem is, piracy will start being a problem at that very precise moment so we will go back to the DS and Wii scenario where obscure games are instantly pirated by almost everyone, getting sucky sales and discouraging third party publishers and developers from localising more stuff or giving a single fuck about the european market.

I really don't know which one is worse.

shaft said:
Man this really sucks. NOE is shit. Releasing games sometimes a year after USA release. I might buy a NA 3DS just to bypass the shittyness that is NOE.

At least NoE releases games and helps small publishers. NoA cockblocks everything without potentital to be a huge seller just because they like to be assholes.

shaft said:
Man this really sucks. NOE is shit. Releasing games sometimes a year after USA release. I might buy a NA 3DS just to bypass the shittyness that is NOE.
But then you're also abandoning the comfort of buying a game at your local store or super-cheap from the UK. You really can't win in this situation. >:I

mclem

Dave Long said:
This isn't true in the US. Import sections were never commonplace in the US. Certain mom and pop stores have had them, mostly in big cities and they also would do mail order. This is how the likes of NCSX and Diehard Gamefan made their name. However, they were not the norm, not even close.

Importing videogames has never been a huge deal, especially outside of California and some large cities. It's blown way out of proportion by the Internet.

In the US, it has never *needed* to be a huge deal. The population of the Internet, however, includes people from outside the US, people who never got Final Fantasy 4 or 6, or Earthbound. From your perspective, the Internet is blowing it out of all proportion; from mine, the Internet is surprisingly calm about the issue.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'll either buy a North American one or wait until they've been opened up. With me being in Taiwan now I have no idea about region codes or shit here. At least in Europe I knew where I stood (or, rather, where I was bent over.)

Ushojax said:
Could be a long wait. Haven't Nintendo been making noise about how they dialed up the security massively on the 3DS?

That actually makes the situation worse IMO, the last thing you do is brag to the internet about how your [computer device] is unhackable/ has great security :lol .

Foffy

Banned
Ushojax said:

Industries usually do this when talking about on the failing war with copyright infringement. I think the one thing they all do is talk about how great the security is.

Remember when Nintendo hired a company to start putting DS anti-piracy checks in their games? How long did it take hackers to bypass with the first major game, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story? About a week and change.

If a company or group screams loud enough, they think it detracts hackers.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
beje said:
NoA cockblocks everything without potentital to be a huge seller just because they like to be assholes.

This isn't true. Rhythm Heaven, Endless Ocean 1 and 2, Glory of Heracles, Sin and Punishment, NoA has released plenty of niche stuff. They miss out on couple of titles here and there and so does NoE.

Vinci

Danish
DoomXploder7 said:
That actually makes the situation worse IMO, the last thing you do is brag to the internet about how your [computer device] is unhackable/ has great security :lol .

To be fair, Nintendo didn't say that. The boss at THQ did.

EDIT: And no, it didn't make the situation worse. This is the successor to the most popular handheld of all time. It has great graphics and 3D. There is no way in hell that this system wasn't going to be Target #1 the moment it hit retail - the homebrew potential is just too great.

What I find foolish about Nintendo's decision is that having your system hacked for reasons of adding functionality to it - ie. homebrew - is not an inherently bad thing. However, negatively impacting your audience in such a way that they hack the thing with the perspective "Fuck you, ______" isn't good for business generally.

M3d10n

My condolences for PAL gamers. I also feel for Atlus and some other smaller publishers without European subsidiaries which will lose some sales from European users.

Ushojax said:
This isn't true. Rhythm Heaven, Endless Ocean 1 and 2, Glory of Heracles, Sin and Punishment, NoA has released plenty of niche stuff. They miss out on couple of titles here and there and so does NoE.
They do it to fill a "niche" quota. Also, if the game doesn't sells beyond a certain threshold, the sequel will be skipped: see Hotel Dusk and Another Code.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Region locking is a bit of a downer for me (although expected).

Being Australian means I tend to import US DS games. A new US DS game is half the price of a new Australian DS game. It is like I am permanently getting a 50 percent discount.

I will most likely import a US 3DS. However, it is nice also having the flexibility to shop locally.

Tetsuo9

By the way, PAL DS games were very popular here in South America at the time, but now the boom kinda stoped now because of region lock.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone seriously expected this not being the case?

How small are this regions? As long as my region is the same as the USA I'm okay.

Luigi87

If it were like Blu-Ray regions, I would be fine, since NA and Japan share that, but sadly then I realize losing out on PAL games is a big loss, when I think about DS games like Last Window.

Sipowicz

Banned
so far then
-region locking
-horrible, ugly unintuitive design
-3 hour battery life
-exorbitant price

tbc
-crap online system

Emitan

Sipowicz said:
so far then
-region locking
-3 hour battery life
-exorbitant price

tbc
-crap online system
Yeah it really is a piece of shi-HOLY CRAP PAPER MARIO 3D shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

It's about the software, not the hardware.

Vinci

Danish
Sipowicz said:
so far then
-region locking
-3 hour battery life
-exorbitant price

tbc
-crap online system

Region locking, I'll give you. Hell, I'll even give you the crap online system - because that's pretty likely. But the design is only unintuitive if you've held it in your hands and have a hard time using it; if you haven't, the best you can claim at this point is that it's ugly. The battery life is 3 to 5 hours. Yes, it's still not fantastic, but saying '3 hour' is disingenuous. 'Exorbitant price' has yet to be proven.

Sipowicz said:
so far then
-region locking
-3 hour battery life
-exorbitant price

tbc
-crap online system
Sipowicz

Nintendo 3DS is not the first neither the last to have region lock codes.

The design is only horrible because you know the second version is coming after a couple of years.

We have already discussed the battery life, so let's not go there.

The price is yet to be announced.

Bye.

Sipowicz

Banned
Billychu said:
Yeah it really is a piece of shi-HOLY CRAP PAPER MARIO 3D shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

It's about the software, not the hardware.

it's about both man. but in this case it's about software, and i am not buying a fucking handheld if i cant play my american games.

Boney said:
are you farnham?

i'm sipowicz. you can see my user name to the left of this message

Emitan

Sipowicz said:
it's about both man. but in this case it's about software, and i am not buying a fucking handheld if i cant play my american games.

i'm sipowicz. you can see my user name to the left of this message
I'll give you region locking, but that list isn't going to convince anyone whether or not to get a 3DS.

This sucks so much ass as I plan on moving to a different country in a few years.

Seriously what the hell is the point?

EDIT - I know they'll be hacks for this, but still goddamn it's 2010 Nintendo!

Foffy

Banned
Lonely1 said:
Expect the PSP2 to be region locked too. Specially with how hard has the Ps3 being hacked...

Then there's another reason to hack yet another system beyond simple piracy. It's almost as if a lot of these companies have some unofficial game of "Hack Our System!", which is mildly amusing.

Sipowicz

Banned
Vinci said:
Region locking, I'll give you. Hell, I'll even give you the crap online system - because that's pretty likely. But the design is only unintuitive if you've held it in your hands and have a hard time using it; if you haven't, the best you can claim at this point is that it's ugly. The battery life is 3 to 5 hours. Yes, it's still not fantastic, but saying '3 hour' is disingenuous. 'Exorbitant price' has yet to be proven.

look at where dpad is on the 3DS man. that's the most unintuitive thing i've ever seen, and i doubt nintendo are going to lowball the price. the region locking and battery life is pure bullshit

this handheld runs contrary to nintendo's past handhelds in a number of shitty, shitty ways. i'm interested to see how things work out for them but i wont be too upset if they get their comeuppance the mother flippers

Lonely1 said:
Expect the PSP2 to be region locked too. Specially with how hard has the Ps3 being hacked...

if that happens i'm done with handhelds. psp 2 isn't even supposed to have backward compatibility

Door2Dawn

Banned
crybaby1.jpg

swerve said:
They won't service my JP Wii with a flakey drive.

Huh, that's odd. Maybe they only service US machines then? Could be that they don't have any Japanese speaking staff handy.

How long ago was this that you tried them? My mate only just did this a few months back and they were only happy to help him.

Wizpig

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Ugh :(

So, fellow Euro-GAF who regularly import - which region of 3DS are you going to buy?
Eh, European of course, warranty and shit like that.

But it pisses me off... i expected it of course, since the DSi was already locked... but i hate Iwata.

Well, that's it; no 3DS at launch for me. All the systems I currently own are region-free and I have taken advantage of that fact on almost all of them, so there's no way I can support region locking. If all games were released in all territories, it wouldn't be a big deal. But Nintendo can't even be bothered to do that with their own titles, so I'm not going to take a gamble on what their localization record will be like in the future.

Bebpo

Banned
fuck

and with that I'm not buying one until I can get an import 3DS for an affordable price. I'm not paying $350-400 for a handheld. May have to wait for the yen to stabilize and pick one up next time I actually travel to Japan (or a friend does).

Vinci

Danish
Sipowicz said:
look at where dpad is on the 3DS man. that's the most unintuitive thing i've ever seen -

Then say it looks unintuitive. There's a distinct difference between how something looks and how it is. Once you've held the thing in your hands and played with it, you are free to bitch and complain about how horribly unintuitive it is. Until then, it's just a silly opinion to have.

- and i doubt nintendo are going to lowball the price.

I'm guessing $250 in NA. You?

the region locking and battery life is pure bullshit

And I agreed that both of those are bad.

this handheld runs contrary to nintendo's past handhelds in a number of shitty, shitty ways. i'm interested to see how things work out for them but i wont be too upset if they get their comeuppance the mother flippers

Well, good luck with that. Personally, I wouldn't bitch too hard about all of its specs until I've heard reports from the Japanese launch about "This sucks" and "That sucks" and why. Spec-moaning, outside of actual first-hand experience, is an example of you spending more energy on something than is necessary.

Boney

Banned
duckroll said:
Why do you care? Are you trying to defend this terrible move as well?
Uhhhh no.

I'm just interested in what he has to say and learn from other GAFfers regarding how region locking is so important to them. Most here are giving examples on how it affects them, and I wanna know how it affects him in regards of it being a no buy now.

If it makes you feel better I won't try to interact with other people here.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Flying_Phoenix said:
This sucks so much ass as I plan on moving to a different country in a few years.

Seriously what the hell is the point?

EDIT - I know they'll be hacks for this, but still goddamn it's 2010 Nintendo!

It's actually 2011.

Top Bottom