• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Bought GTA III and at this rate I don't kno if I'll ever need to use freemyapps now besides getting IB2 and I guess Modern Combat 3 lol.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Has anyone tried Dark Incursion, that Castlevania-like game? If so, thoughts?

RedSwirl

So GTAIII is $0.99 right now and I have to ask again: how are the controls? I ask because I have always absolutely fucking hated the controls of the GTA games on consoles. It's the sole reason why I haven't really played much of any of them. I can barely play GTA IV, but that's about it.

Card Boy

Banned
Bought Chinatown Wars.

What's the consensus on Mirrors Edge, Tiger Woods 2012 and Mortal Kombat 3 for iPad? All 3 are 90% off at 99cents.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Take a wild guess. If you didn't like the controls on a controller, you'll probably cut your thumbs if you play the touch screen version.
---

Mirror's Edge is very cool, and a must for a buck. Mortal Kombat is glitchy as fuck and the visuals are laughably bad, but if you are a MK nut like myself, go ahead and get it just for novelty sake.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Wow surprisngly GTA III plays well with virtual controls. Also it runs splendily on my 4S. Think I may end up playing through this again even though I beat it on PS2 and have it on PC.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm finally getting a hang of Caylus I think! Did not understand you needed to make residential buildings with the Lawyer first to upgrade them to prestige buildings :( One thing I don't get though: How can I return to the menu during a game / onc I'm done with the game? I see no "Menu" option within it oO. The only thing that's worked for me is completely close the app (even from the multitask bar) and then restart it, that brings me back to the menu... But I can't find the option to get there from within a game. Does anyone who owns it know? :/

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Chinatown Wars HD is gonna be 99 cents this weekend. 90% off sale

Awesome, I'm still playing it after picking it up in the last sale and it really is a great little game. Some control niggles here and there but it runs beautifully on iPad and looks gorgeous.

still waiting for retina and (lol) fast app switch for iphone version.

Never gonna happen. It seems that Rockstar don't actually update games they release... iPad is the only decent platform for CW.

Hi Gaf

Can anyone recommend any games similar to Reckless Racing 1 & 2?

Also I'm suprised no one has made a Mario Kart type game in this view. It would be perfect for the iPhone as I can't get into all these tilt to steer racing games. :D

Woah, just read on the TA forums about the WWE WrestleFest game coming next week. Was this known already? Certainly (awesome) news to me!

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=123009

7oGcW.jpg

m3cRd.jpg

qqsFO.png

f5KzO.jpg

Pul9z.jpg

UTY7I.jpg

GAoAR.jpg

7vjtF.jpg

Source: http://www.sescoops.com/wrestling-n...iphone-released-next-week/attachment/wwe_109/

Rocketcat, the developers behind the Hook platformers and Mage Gauntlet, have a couple of other games in the works besides that Mage Gauntlet spinoff:

In the meantime, we've been working on two other games. Haven't posted a lot about those, but one of them is an endless runner + Double Dragon sort of game, and the other is based off Dwarf Fortress.

Majine

Banned
Ugh I am so bad at Kingdom Rush. I love the game, but I just can't get a grip on the strategy. Stuck on the third snow level.

Use your start cash to fully upgrade 1 Archery tower, then have dudes out to just stall everything while e archers kill them.

Bulletpoint is: Build compact and strong.

Minsc

Gold Member
So let's say I was looking for a good roguelike for my iPhone. Where should I start?

By order of difficulty:

Sword of Fargoal
Cavern
Legends of Yore
100 Rogues
Rogue Touch

There's harder stuff than Rogue Touch, but the popularly generally varies greatly outside of these titles from what I've read. Sword of Fargoal is a very popular and an easier one to start with. Rogue Touch is probably the next most popular, but much harder.

Cheebo

Banned
GTA 3 is .99

http://itunes.apple.com/app/grand-theft-auto-3/id479662730?mt=8

Hope they put the iPhone version of Chinatown Wars at .99 since that's the only GTA not .99 this weekend. Also I guess I can't say no to GTA III for .99 lol.
Wish I didn't buy it full price now lol. I barely even touched it yet since I got it when it initially came out.

Who would have thought 10 years ago we could get GTA 3 for less than a dollar and play it on our phones. Insane.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Played to chapter 2 and I'm loving Beat Sneak Bandit. It's satisfying enough just advancing through the stages but trying to get all clocks, although way harder, isn't frustrating at all. The punishment where the clock(s) in the same floor break when you miss a beat provides the right amount of challenge. The game registers everything nicely too, which is damn important in rhythm games (like in 2-1 where a series of lights will keep flicking in sync with the music and you have to go through them just at the right moment).

I've been trying to get all clocks before I move on but if a stage gets a little too problematic I just leave it for later. Again props to the polished presentation, Simogo nails it.

By order of difficulty:

Sword of Fargoal
Cavern
Legends of Yore
100 Rogues
Rogue Touch

There's harder stuff than Rogue Touch, but the popularly generally varies greatly outside of these titles from what I've read. Sword of Fargoal is a very popular and an easier one to start with. Rogue Touch is probably the next most popular, but much harder.

Thanks! I see a lot of love for 100 Rogues. I'll do a little more research and give some of these a try.

Random question: is it common to have sound issues when playing games for a while over headphones? I find sound channels randomly cutting out; League of Evil randomly stopped playing music, and Infinity Blade 2 starts putting some sounds in the left and other sounds in the right; it's weird.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm ready for Vice City... Come on VC!!

Yeah me too, I'm wondering what kind of pace they'll release them at? Probably at least 6 months apart, just so they can make as much money off each game as possible I'd think.

I'm also wondering what they'll do about aiming and targeting in future games. I remember that it got easier and more fluid to shoot by san andreas, but I'm not sure how this will be reflected in the piss poor aiming controls they have at the moment. Some kind of twin stick solution perhaps?

I think the biggest flaw with GTA3 was the damage model though. You die far far far too easily for a game that has very flawed movement and aiming mechanics as it is. It needed to be much more lenient with the damage to be fun in the long run.

After having my save erased in LoE2, I couldn't help myself and had to play again. Currently 14th on the leaderboards for chapter 1 normal. I want to continue to chapter 2, but getting better times on these levels is pretty damn addicting lol.

AEREC

Beat Sneak Bandit is great...Im having a hard time with it though. Im sure it will just take a while for me to get into the rythm of it though.

This made go back and purchase Bumpy Road and Kosmo Spin.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Played some Awesome Land on my iPad and it's another of those godamn idiot games with the dpad and buttons are the very bottom of the screen. This shit is driving me insane! It's like the devs don't even play their games. And if they do, how the hell are they holding their iPads without getting wristache as its all top heavy and unwieldy? There have been some great platformers lately that do controls absolutely perfectly, but there are many more who completely botch it and leave their games virtually unplayable. Ugh, it makes me so mad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom