• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unpopular Opinion: DOOM is a Good Game, but Quite Forgettable

It's a great feeling game with a god-tier Mick Gordon soundtrack. I can't remember much of the story or the actual level design though, so you might be right.

I enjoyed it for the first few hours but the repetition after that was a grind, I did finish it and I enjoyed it but I don't see the pedestal it was put upon at all.

LowParry

That's some title change lol.

DOOM is life. I think it's the one game I'll go back and play yearly next to my FFIV playthrough.

shandy706

My favorite single player first person shooter this generation is Titanfall 2. Doom is good but I felt like TF2 was better.

sn00zer

I really loved the tone and gameplay, but it has a similar issue to other games in the genre like Painkiller, Vanquish, and bulletstorm. They hit the pedal to the metal a little too quickly and the game difficulty sorta levels off

DOOM(2016) is the only fps I've played where I could get LOST and not know where to go next or where to obtain the next keycard/skull. they really don't do a good job of using environmental cues to lead the player.

Alienous

I'm actually thankful for that.

I feel like I'll be able to re-discover it in a second playthrough. The first I did was fantastic.

Jumeira

Banned
I just can't get over the setting and enemy design, just off-putting, as in i don't feel compelled to explore or play, not a fan.

Aaron

I enjoyed it for the first few hours but the repetition after that was a grind, I did finish it and I enjoyed it but I don't see the pedestal it was put upon at all.
I feel exactly the same, and I think it's a result of the levels just kind of there, and don't really matter to the gameplay at all. So once you run out of new monsters and weapons to use on them, the game has no more tricks. In original Doom and 2, there were some environments that were downright diabolical in how they could spring shit on you. That's almost nonexistent in the new game.

DevilDog

Nothing stands out really. Everything in Doom has been done before and 10 times better.

I liked the graphics and its attitude, and even that got pretty boring towards the end.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think DOOM is very arcady game, it all about fast and fun gameplay but we mostly consider games with great story and characters memorable which DOOM dosent have. This why to this day people still remember game like Bioshock even tho gameplay is lacking.

RedSwirl

I'll admit that DOOM mainly stands out today because it's a kind of FPS nobody really makes anymore, especially not at that production budget. The same might be true of Wolf TNO. If either game came out as-is (except graphics) circa 2004 or 2005 they'd probably just be considered very good if typical shooters. DOOM is a return to the early-mid 90's pre-Half-Life shooter. Wolf TNO is a return to the post-Half-Life, pre-COD shooter. Honestly I feel the same way about Dark Souls -- around that same time period Dark Souls would probably still be considered a great game for its level design and variety, but not as unique among other action RPGs.

DOOM is still fun as shit though. The basic fundamentals are extremely solid, and provide basic fun in a way few other shooters do today.

I thought Doom had really good gameplay but it's plot didn't grab me like Wolfenstein and the gunplay was just as solid, just not as off the wall as Doom. Both are good, but I do think Wolf is the better game.

Doom is forgettable in story and location but memorable in the fact that when I play a new fps I just think "man I wish this played more like Doom."

GMAK2442

The variety of monster that are all different was interesting.
The weapons were all different and interesting. Plus you had to do weapons and ammo management.

For the story, it's kind of short but I like it that way and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I doubt I will forget this game.

BlondeTuna

GAF loves the performance and gameplay feel of DOOM. No one will argue that the story is forgettable.

That "feel" is during the latter part of the game, when all enemy types are thrown at you at once, the killer soundtrack is blaring, and you are cycling through the limited weapon selection (albeit with alternate firing modes) wrecking house and ripping.

Making the DLC free has been a nice step to starting to enjoy the multiplayer. I've played a handful of hours the last few days and have really been enjoying it.

kodecraft

Besides the general awesomeness of DOOM's gunplay (maybe the best ever), this shooter will he forever memorable to me for one special reason: it is the game on PC where I first practiced and mastered Steam controller's motion aiming.

I kid you not - I played Destiny 2'a beta on the PS4 this weekend as he first time playing an FPS game since finishing DOOM a few months ago and I deleted it after fifteen minutes. Without motion controls, it is hard for me to go back to analog aiming. Also, DOOM killing sprees were soooooo much fun that it'll be a hard combination for any game to match anytime soon.

Dude, are you me? I bought the Steam controller when it came out... played with it but couldn't 'feel it', just couldn't get used to it. So it sat on the shelf.

Then, Doom came out and I decided to give the SC another go. Boom, this is where I not only fell in love with the SC but knew how to experience it. Now, I play every game regardless of genre with it.

I can't go back.

Xumbrega

Banned
The games you mentioned besides Far Cry 3 are indeed better than DOOM but I don't think DOOM is forgettable, it's an excellent game.

Got the game for pretty cheap after seeing all the praise on GAF. After playing it though I have to say it's probably the most overrated game I've played of this gen. It's not a bad game but it certainly isn't a classic.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I hate getting lost in mazes in Doom. I want combat. Not going around trying to find keys. I can tolerate the game only in short sprints.

Nah, I will disagree entirely. This game will be remembered for a very long time especially in the case of how you refresh a classic franchise into modern standards and setting up some new ones a long the way. Doom 2016 was a way to get SP in FPS back on track and away from the cutscene and set-piece heavy COD influence pushed further back for more emergent and dynamic gameplay.

It's replayability however is another question altogether, as the game becomes crazy by the end as it mentally drains you with how many enemies its throws you, and how often enemy encounters start occurring. Which is why I relegate the game to shorter playtimes to get the most out of it.

teokrazia

DOOM is boring to watch, boring to read about, and boring to reflect on. As it should be. Looking at this thread, games listed have set pieces, or "stories, and marketing campaigns that push them. They're memorable because thats how the game is sold, thats how the game is structured, so those moments stay with you. But that's not the point of DOOM. The moments that matter in DOOM are too numerous to sell, to take screen captures of, and stick on the back of the box. DOOM is incredible to play, all else forgotten. The moment to moment of DOOM trumps everything in this thread, hands down. It's only forgetable if you're not remembering the parts that matter.

This.

Pilgrimzero

Good game but It gotta repetitive after a while.

Oh here is a big empty area and I see Power Ups everywhere. Demons spawn in 3 2 1....

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
This may sound stupid but I think more platforming and down time/exploration sections could Doom better

Sulik2

Doom is a really solid first person shooter and the codex entries are straight hilarious tongue in cheek. Titanfall 2 still has the best shooter campaign of the last five years imho.

Doom was never about the story. That shit is irrelevant for this game and it makes multiple tongue in cheek references to this. Doom was about the exhilarating, pulse pounding combat sequences, the layered and detailed level design, and soundtrack.

Buzzwords

leng jai

Doom was never about the story. That shit is irrelevant for this game and it makes multiple tongue in cheek references to this. Doom was about the exhilarating, pulse pounding combat sequences, the layered and detailed level design, and soundtrack.

Buzzwords

The level design was nothing special and the combat sequence was just the same cycle throughout the whole game.

I played through it twice when it was released, and again a month ago when I got a 4k TV, in 4k.

It's the most fun I've ever had with a shooter. So...I disagree with forgettable.

The gameplay alone ensures it won't be forgotten.

It almost feels like a Western developed Nintendo game with the multilayered mechanics, gameplay driven focus, and smart design choices.

Hektor

Nothing stands out really. Everything in Doom has been done before and 10 times better.

I liked the graphics and its attitude, and even that got pretty boring towards the end.

I wish I'd live in he same world as you do.

The level design was nothing special and the combat sequence was just the same cycle throughout the whole game.

Please point me to all he other shooters of the last decade with such open and well designed maps filled with dozens of well hidden secrets

maps2.jpg

I ended up playing this after going through Titanfall 2's campaign. I enjoyed DOOM's campaign, but I definitely thought it paled in comparison to Tf2's.

I agree with the thread title.

Greddleok

∀ Narayan;244416363 said:
I ended up playing this after going through Titanfall 2's campaign. I enjoyed DOOM's campaign, but I definitely thought it paled in comparison to Tf2's.

I agree with the thread title.

Crazy, I've played through both multiple times, and DOOM is the one I keep coming back to. The movement, the pace, the guns, the music, all keeps bringing me back.

Titanfall has great movement, but it's not so useful in the single player like it is in multiplayer.

I just wish DOOM didn't take like 10 minutes to load from nothing to in-game on PS4. So many loading screens and menus to go through until you're actually playing. Really kills my desire to replay it.

For me DOOM was just so incredibly fun to play.
Didn't really give a damn about the story tbh I was just there to rip and tear demons.

Combine that sublime gameplay with Mick Gordon's ridiculously good soundtrack and I think it's one of the best FPS campaigns I've played in years, far from forgettable.

Vintage

I loved the game but I agree that it overstayed it's welcome. When I think about what I did in the game the only thing that comes up is fighting waves of demons in closed arenas. That's pretty much it.

Top Bottom