• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unpopular Opinion: DOOM is a Good Game, but Quite Forgettable

I can't think of a shooter that made me have this much fun. I don't particularly care about its story or setting, and I kept coming back to play it only because the flow of combat was so incredible. Shooting and smashing demons felt so intense and satisfying, and it required a lot of quick reflexes and creativity. Surviving an overwhelming horde of demons had a great feel of gratification. Exploring the maps and finding secret areas in the most 90s way possible was also great.

So, I respectfully disagree, OP. Doom was my GOTY last year. Hopefully upcoming games try to replicate its shooting mechanics.
I dont have a ton of super memorable moments from the game, but the game was straight up fun. I enjoyed every minute of it and kept wanting to keep going. The lock in gameplay loop was annoying at times but I enjoyed killing the waves of baddies enough I didnt really care.

Glory Kills were wonderful. Guns felt powerful. The gunplay itself was very well done and whenever I died it was never cheap. I just straight up screwed up.

I agree.
The problem with this game is that they made an arena shooter. Doom never was an arena shooter as far as I remember.
It's predictable and boring. It feels like I'm playing a 12 hour horde mode.

beril

If you think DOOM has a forgettable story you're missing the point. One of the most refreshing things about the game is how little story there is

Serrato

I'd say the main problems of the games are, in my opinion.

- One trick pony gameplay
- Average level design (good looking but... I don't recall any of them as I would recall Facility, E1M1, Phendrana Drifts etc.)
- Why is it always arena rooms that lock themselves with teleporting enemies until you kill them all?
- Bosses ARE the forgettable parts, especially the last one.
- While you get more and more powerful, the enemies don't. Past the half point, they just put more which just gives you more opportunity to recover health and combo.
- The last two levels weren't needed.

In spite of ALL that, the game is still amazing and is a crowning achievement of FPS gunplay and controls. And good music too and amazing graphics for the performance.

8/10

Yu Furealdo

I liked the arenas but there were too many of them and all of the combat outside of them was boring. The original games had way more interesting level design / enemy encounters.

lol Far Cry 3 more compelling than DOOM.

i played FC3 and loved it at first. once the second island opened, an island completely identical to the first, i never played it again. the game gets old fast.

DOOM has actual level design with actual levels. incredible game.

SRTtoZ

It feels so good to play though, but yea after watching the noclip documentary one DOOM it does feel like a game that just came together at the last second. I have no doubts the sequel will be everything and more.

I highly disagree about FC3 being more memorable though. Yikes.

JWiLL

Banned
I would tend to agree, but not because I didn't enjoy the game.

I found the moment to moment gameplay was solid in pretty much every sense. It looked great, weapons were varied and had punch, arenas were fun to move around in, etc.

That being said...I'm not a huge fan of the overall environment/atmosphere in DOOM. I don't really have any desire to play through it again.

Meanwhile...I've played through Wolfenstein twice and Far Cry 3 once on console and then again on PC. I will say that Far Cry 3 is only memorable because of Vaas though and the 4th game was actually better overall.

I'm looking forward to this year's Wolfenstein running on idtech 6 more than any of the above though.

grumpy

My favourite single-player FPS of 2016. Besides the intro where you just push away the monitor that pretends to act as a tutorial of shorts, I barely have any recollection of the rest of the game.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just downloaded it again to try the new multiplayer and it's not bad honestly, nothing special but I'll play it some more later for sure.

Top Bottom