• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free games on Xbox Live if you go Oman

Protip: If you're going to game the system and exploit the loopholes, don't post about it on a huge forum where your gamertag is clearly visible.

I've seen people suggest revoking individual pieces of content, but I don't think that's possible.

A couple of months ago, on the day Bioshock Infinite's Clash In The Clouds DLC was announced, I called Xbox Support and I complained about the disgusting value proposition of the season pass. I bought the season pass on DAY ONE and it took months for them to even announce any details on the content. And when they finally announced something (end of July?) it turns out they're releasing nothing but a boring horde mode. And the real meaty content, the incredible-looking two-part detective story set in Rapture, is probably not coming out until December.

Soooo.... I demanded a refund, and they gave it to me. However, there were certain caveats. They told me in very specific terms that they have absolutely no capability to revoke the license for a single piece of software or DLC. I currently own the season pass, and I'm going to own it forever. They cannot reverse that ownership. They went ahead and gave me a 1600-MSP refund. But they said that I can't be caught using the season pass to download season pass content - otherwise my account would get permanently banned. That seems both fair and ridiculous. Fair because I can't be taking a 1600-point refund and then using the season pass anyway - that'd be straight up theft. Ridiculous because, come on, what if I forget about the season pass restriction in a couple of months, or some friend visits and starts downloading season pass content? No worries anyway, because I made sure to delete the season pass off my console.

Just throwing that out there. I really don't think revoking the license for any games is an option.

They flat out lied to you. Back when Halo 4 had an exploit for free DLC, tons of people took advantage. MS removed that DLC from all of those accounts. They can do it, they just don't want to.

maomaoIYP

So it looks like they're exactly banning people over the Oman thing, even though the policy seems to be about banning people even for creating an account in a region that you don't belong to. I mean, who doesn't have multiple accounts in multiple regions to buy stuff off the marketplace?
In any case I'm glad I couldn't be bothered to get these "free" games that I don't think are even worth the time it takes to download them.

Do you have a link to the thread in question?

That's a pretty big shift in policy. If it's legit, I foresee a tidal wave of shit over the next few days. Pretty shocking to be honest, didn't think MS would be so stupid and they haven't exactly policed the region thing in the past.

There's no shift in policy, they're just (allegedly) enforcing it now.

They're fucking nuts doing this at the end of the generation. People will swear off buying MS consoles long before they admit that maybe they shouldn't have gamed the system.

Fucking nuts is about right. By banning people now, they are removing any and all motivation for those people to buy an Xbox One. They can't migrate their accounts (if their main account is banned) and they'll have lost access to thousands of pounds of content. (sure we can play semantics and say the content is on the hard drive, but I'm thinking about when that console break down. Goodbye content...Jesus, I'd probably have a heart attack if that happened to me...)

So it looks like they're exactly banning people over the Oman thing, even though the policy seems to be about banning people even for creating an account in a region that you don't belong to. I mean, who doesn't have multiple accounts in multiple regions to buy stuff off the marketplace?
In any case I'm glad I couldn't be bothered to get these "free" games that I don't think are even worth the time it takes to download them.

I'm glad my laziness won out, but I feel sorry for those who took part and I feel doubly sorry for highlighting free Rayman Legends on the Bosnian marketplace.

There's no shift in policy, they're just (allegedly) enforcing it now.

Enforcing it now is essentially a shift from not enforcing it in the past. Pretty poor timing too, if they are indeed enforcing this policy, that's not listed anywhere in the ToS and has never led to any bans in the past - to the best of my knowledge.

New002

Protip: If you're going to game the system and exploit the loopholes, don't post about it on a huge forum where your gamertag is clearly visible.

I was thinking about this earlier when reading the whole thing about you may have been reported by fellow users or we may have caught you in one of our sweeps verbiage. One has to assume that there are people from MS browsing these, and other forums. There are two confirmed reps right? It's not exactly the wisest thing in the world to admit to this/spread it around when you know people from MS read the forums and your gamertag is in your profile.

Jobiensis

One has to assume that there are people from MS browsing these, and other forums.

I find it hilarious that MS might be browsing forums looking for users to ban instead of actually fixing the bug in their system. Pretty dumb policy, most companies seem to know it is better to take the money hit on pricing errors/glitches than generate bad PR.

statham

I was thinking about this earlier when reading the whole thing about you may have been reported by fellow users or we may have caught you in one of our sweeps verbiage. One has to assume that there are people from MS browsing these, and other forums. There are two confirmed reps right? It's not exactly the wisest thing in the world to admit to this/spread it around when you know people from MS read the forums and your gamertag is in your profile.

I think it could be the other way around, people looking at your profile turning you into the xbox enforcement team with links back to here.

bidguy

Banned
yeah i saw a lot of salty people in these threads and no doubt someone somewhere pointed this bug out to ms but why report individual dudes to ms ? seems like a waste of time but then again .. white knights

New002

I find it hilarious that MS might be browsing forums looking for users to ban instead of actually fixing the bug in their system. Pretty dumb policy, most companies seem to know it is better to take the money hit on pricing errors/glitches than generate bad PR.

I agree that they should take the hit for anyone that downloaded the game who resided in Oman, but for anyone else it seems like they are justified in taking action. Now what level of action they should be taking can be argued. It appears that they are within their rights (according to their TOS) to perma-ban accounts and consoles but it's going to piss a lot of people off. I agree with another user that suggested they just do temp-bans for now as a warning.

I think it could be the other way around, people looking at your profile turning you into the xbox enforcement team with links back to here.

Ah, yeah I didn't even consider this. Good point.

Edit: I just watched Redemption today featuring Mr. Statham. It was alright :)

Thomasnoki

Neo Member
Do you have a link to the thread in question?

That's a pretty big shift in policy. If it's legit, I foresee a tidal wave of shit over the next few days. Pretty shocking to be honest, didn't think MS would be so stupid and they haven't exactly policed the region thing in the past.

It is all in a Private message section with them. If you really want to prove. I can PM the dummy account so you can login and see.

dark_chris

Gold Member
Hehe Micro$oft being stupid as well with this banning of getting a game.

"Omg! We lost money cause people found a loophole for a free game. Time to make up for the money loss, lets ban consoles and make giant profit for it"

lucius

Why would you want to do it even if they were still up if consoles are getting banned (supposedly)?

Bad joke, the second I saw the steps you had to go through I said no thanks. Anytime you have to use fake names address seems like playing with fire.

Seem to be a ban sweep going on...

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/2366.aspx

Quite a few replies like this in the why was my console banned forum
The conduct that caused this ban may include, but is not limited to:

- Utilizing fraudulent methods in order to obtain region-specific marketplace content or circumvent regional pricing

- Illegitimate acquisition of redemption codes or marketplace content

- Repeated enforcement actions

Top Bottom